Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jan 21, 2019 at 3:03 PM Post #4,426 of 62,419
I live in Japan and on amazon jp it says it is using the new QCC3026 chip. If it had an ambient mode I would have ordered it, its the highest rated TWE and all the reviews talk about its excellent balanced sound. Graphene coated drivers.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/aw/d/B07KVRJBVG/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_1?smid=A2VJBAZIY75XKO&psc=1

I checked out their website, it has english translations, and mention something about HDSS which is their proprietary drivers i guess? Not sure, but they seem really good, too bad it's Japan only

I was going to pull the trigger, but it says out of stock :frowning2:

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2019 at 3:16 PM Post #4,427 of 62,419
To clarify, audio specs, more so the Japanese proprietary stuff.

“DIFFERENCE - Our TRUE MUSIC earbuds feature Furukawa Patented Hi-Fi Sound Driver Technology, SBR DAC”

“Qualcomm aptX, and AAC”

I’m not going to pass on something just because it doesn’t have BT 5. I have stuff that’s BT 3.0 (Sony MDR-1ABT) all the way BT 5. I notice no difference in the TWEs I have that are BT 4.2 vs. BT 5 in both audio quality and range. B&O E8 (BT 4.2) have battery life that’s about the same as the MTW (BT 5).

Again, No track control, many want their ambient, and maybe 3 hours and 12 total battery is why I would pass. I don't care about BT no. model more than antenna model/tech so not sure I would trust something older like that to have a very stable connection or range. I would hope it had aptX and AAC for $249 original price. I just bought a wired model that is $49 and has AAA/aptX, and aptX LL.

We have a lot of driver claims out there but how does it really sound?? Plenty of claims out there turn out to be marketing hype that so it is risky. I am still mostly Japan based with my gear being Oriolus, Elecom, JVC etc. but Japan stuff tend to be tuned a certain way and can also not be so hot so I don't look at it as a slam dunk great sounding item. You can buy and try but since it is old does it sound good for 2017 or is it good with today's competition? Again, we differ, but I don't look at that one as anything but a risky proposition that wouldn't be high enough on my list to try out.

Jan 21, 2019 at 3:48 PM Post #4,428 of 62,419
I have no connection issues with MW07 in gym, while Earin M2 have more drop outs, partly because the AAC codec in my phone (LG V30) I guess, despite that MW07 use AAC as well. I still prefer M2 over MW07 for gym use, though. They're comparatively small and lightweight, feeling non-existent during workout, and I don't care too much about the sound quality in that circumstance. Besides, while MW07 work well for strength training and weight lifting, for running I can feel the thumping and also the rattling sound in the left earbud. I don't notice these in M2.

That's interesting because it seemed a given that any isolating IEMs would generate that annoying thumping, hence why the X12 are so nice for running, but the the M2 don't ? Is it possibly thanks to the Comply it comes with ? I've yet to find an IEM where the sound was as good with Complys as with the stock silicone tips as I've always found to muffle the sound excessively, having a comply in one year and a silicone in the other really hits hard ! They also wear out super quickly so I'm not sure how Earin are going to be handling that ? Is it just a standard Comply model ?

Jan 21, 2019 at 3:48 PM Post #4,429 of 62,419
Again, No track control, many want their ambient, and maybe 3 hours and 12 total battery is why I would pass. I don't care about BT no. model more than antenna model/tech so not sure I would trust something older like that to have a very stable connection or range. I would hope it had aptX and AAC for $249 original price. I just bought a wired model that is $49 and has AAA/aptX, and aptX LL.

We have a lot of driver claims out there but how does it really sound?? Plenty of claims out there turn out to be marketing hype that so it is risky. I am still mostly Japan based with my gear being Oriolus, Elecom, JVC etc. but Japan stuff tend to be tuned a certain way and can also not be so hot so I don't look at it as a slam dunk great sounding item. You can buy and try but since it is old does it sound good for 2017 or is it good with today's competition? Again, we differ, but I don't look at that one as anything but a risky proposition that wouldn't be high enough on my list to try out.
I have no idea how these things sound. They look interesting with some curious Japanese tech claims. Thanks for your input.

Anyone else have any experience with these things? @RobinFood? @turbobb?

Jan 21, 2019 at 4:01 PM Post #4,430 of 62,419
That's interesting because it seemed a given that any isolating IEMs would generate that annoying thumping, hence why the X12 are so nice for running, but the the M2 don't ? Is it possibly thanks to the Comply it comes with ? I've yet to find an IEM where the sound was as good with Complys as with the stock silicone tips as I've always found to muffle the sound excessively, having a comply in one year and a silicone in the other really hits hard ! They also wear out super quickly so I'm not sure how Earin are going to be handling that ? Is it just a standard Comply model ?

I use SpinFits with my M2 and I certainly get the thump when walking, don’t see how any totally isolating in ear can not get it

Jan 21, 2019 at 4:24 PM Post #4,431 of 62,419
@hifi80sman -I came across those during my searches but when I saw they were only BT4, I crossed them off in consideration that my primary source would be my V30. While there is absolutely nothing wrong with getting / using older tech, Bluetooth prior to v4.1 had a bit of problems with 4G LTE and v4.1 resolved that. I recall based on personal experiences that this held true so since I found out about that, I've always looked at v4.1 as a minimum. They do look interesting but I've not had direct experience. If anything, I was looking into these:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KS2TBRC
(I've reached the threshold with the current batch I'm testing, else I'd jump in... ;o))

They purportedly have aptX (I asked the community and an owner verified it via DevOptions) but what's really interesting is that they're the only TWEs I'm aware of that allows passive listening via headphone cable! I'm aware of BT headphones/earbuds that had this feature but never TWEs.

Jan 21, 2019 at 4:44 PM Post #4,432 of 62,419
@hifi80sman -I came across those during my searches but when I saw they were only BT4, I crossed them off in consideration that my primary source would be my V30. While there is absolutely nothing wrong with getting / using older tech, Bluetooth prior to v4.1 had a bit of problems with 4G LTE and v4.1 resolved that. I recall based on personal experiences that this held true so since I found out about that, I've always looked at v4.1 as a minimum. They do look interesting but I've not had direct experience. If anything, I was looking into these:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KS2TBRC
(I've reached the threshold with the current batch I'm testing, else I'd jump in... ;o))

They purportedly have aptX (I asked the community and an owner verified it via DevOptions) but what's really interesting is that they're the only TWEs I'm aware of that allows passive listening via headphone cable! I'm aware of BT headphones/earbuds that had this feature but never TWEs.
Interesting...I was not aware of the issue with BT 4.0 & earlier and 4G LTE. I haven’t had any issues with non-TWEs I have, but I can only assume the issue is compounded with TWEs.

Anroog?! Love that company! :L3000: Do you know what chipset they use and if they support AAC/aptX? I agree the cable option is compelling, so long as the drivers are quality, of course.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2019 at 4:44 PM Post #4,433 of 62,419
Guys, I need your help to get a decent truly wireless earbud. I'm getting tired of trying various kind and you seem to have quite a knowledge here so I'm turning to you.

Up to now, I had 3 truly wireless: the Sony WF-1000x, B&O Beoplay E8 and Sony SP-700N. The sound of the WF-1000x impressed me at first, but noise level was too high, connection was sometime unreliable and was sticking out of the ears which is not ideal with a tuque. Beoplay E8 I just took them out of the box, tried them, updated the firmware, tried them and just send them back. I just found the sound awful. Finally, the SP-700N was too bassy for my taste, although I kind got used to it, but also was sticking out of the ears in a way that it was uncomfortable with a tuque.

So now I'm looking either at the ATH-CKR7TW or Sennheiser MTW. I've read good review about those but they are kind of pricey and not sure which one would be best. Also, I would want to know your opinion about the IconX 2018 as I would be able to get a pair for cheap if they would be adequate.

Keep in mind I'm kind of fond of Audio-Techinca signature sound, with my ATH-AD900x being my long-runner I'm using every day and my beloved ATH-IM02, and that I like clear sound, not liking bassy or dark signatures.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2019 at 4:49 PM Post #4,434 of 62,419
Guys, I need your help to get a decent truly wireless earbud. I'm getting tired of trying various kind and you seem to have quite a knowledge here so I'm turning to you.

Up to now, I had 3 truly wireless: the Sony WF-1000x, B&O Beoplay E8 and Sony SP-700N. The sound of the WF-1000x impressed me at first, but noise level was too high, connection was sometime unreliable and was sticking out of the year which is not ideal with a tuque. Beoplay E8 I just took them out of the box, tried them, updated the firmware, tried them and just send them back. I just found the sound awful. Finally, the SP-700N was too bassy for my taste, although I kind got used to it, but also was sticking out of the ear in a way that it was comfortable with a tuque.

So now I'm looking either at the ATH-CKR7TW or Sennheiser MTW. I've read good review about those but they are kind of pricey and not sure which one would be best. Also, I would want to know your opinion about the IconX 2018 as I would be able to get a pair for cheap if they would be adequate.

Keep in mind I'm kind of fond of Audio-Techinca signature sound, with my ATH-AD900x being my long-runner I'm using every day and my beloved ATH-IM02, and that I like clear sound, not liking bassy or dark signatures.

I’m a long time Westone listener here, and having just switched to a set of Sennheiser MTW, I will tell you for a fact that they are bright, not dark (but not harshly so).

-Ed

Jan 21, 2019 at 4:54 PM Post #4,435 of 62,419

Up to now, I had 3 truly wireless: the Sony WF-1000x, B&O Beoplay E8 and Sony SP-700N. The sound of the WF-1000x impressed me at first, but noise level was too high, connection was sometime unreliable and was sticking out of the year which is not ideal with a tuque. Beoplay E8 I just took them out of the box, tried them, updated the firmware, tried them and just send them back. I just found the sound awful. Finally, the SP-700N was too bassy for my taste, although I kind got used to it, but also was sticking out of the ear in a way that it was comfortable with a tuque.

Good review from another member earlier in this thread:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/goi...re-we-there-yet.861024/page-231#post-14684781

The MTW sound good and have EQ via app, but it’s the dot EQ, so it’s no the best to fine tune. Out of the box, the MTW sound bold and beefy, so probably not your flavor. I haven’t listened to the ATH-CKR7TW, but reviews from here and around the internet suggest they are along the lines of what you’re looking for.

On another note, the IconX 2018 are very average sounding and a little grainy. I had them and ended up returning. They are a good daily driver if you’re on the go and want passable music quality. If you just want to relax and enjoy your music, I would not go the IconX 2018 route.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2019 at 5:19 PM Post #4,436 of 62,419
hey guys, believe it or not I don't have a measuring tape, I need to know the bore size for the earin m-2, I'm thinking of trying those symbio mandarinE tips. Anyone can clue me in on the bore size.

NVM: I checked the spinfits i got for them and its 3.8mm for anyone else that wants to know.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2019 at 6:02 PM Post #4,437 of 62,419
I happened to check out your post when I was in gym, so I got a chance to do a thorough experiment and pay more attention. I use Spinfit cp100 medium size for left ear, and Sony hybrid (silicone, not triple comfort) large size for right ear. My right ear canal is larger, so usually I go for a larger size. Sony hybrid gives me flush mid and smooth treble, while Spinfit gives me a good amount of bass. Besides, they fit into the capsule more easily since Sony tip has shorter stem. I run/walk in the gym tracks, which have some kind of vinyl or PVC floor I guess. I haven't try running/walking outdoor yet, since we've got very cold weather, and I don't need to commute to work. In gym, I disable the touch control on M2 by switching the codec to Aptx, and also turn the transparent mode off.

For walking and running, I still did not notice any thumping at all. When running, there is a rattling sound in the right ear, but that came from the slightly loose joint between Sony hybrid and the earbud, not inside the earbud itself like MW07. If I hold the right bud with hand during running, the rattling disappeared. I think if I use Spinfit as well the rattling will be gone. I don't have MW07 in hand now, but I tried them before, and the thumping and rattling are quite obvious. I may have loose seal on M2, but they're secure enough without falling out whatsoever.

I guess things may be different if I run/walk on the rough, hard concrete surface with a higher impact. But M2s defintely have much less thumping. Also I'm afraid the foam tips may produce more thumping instead.

Jan 21, 2019 at 7:12 PM Post #4,438 of 62,419
I’m a long time Westone listener here, and having just switched to a set of Sennheiser MTW, I will tell you for a fact that they are bright, not dark (but not harshly so).

-Ed
Interesting. Bright is not something that comes to mind when thinking of the MTW. I would not call them dark sounding either. I think the bass is a bit boomy and muddy. It can be eqd out though.

Jan 21, 2019 at 7:16 PM Post #4,439 of 62,419
Interesting. Bright is not something that comes to mind when thinking of the MTW. I would not call them dark sounding either. I think the bass is a bit boomy and muddy. It can be eqd out though.

It probably has to do with the fact that I’ve spent the last 10+ years listening to Westone 4s with deep Comply tips; I’ve been so accustomed to such a laid back sound that the Sennheiser Momentums seem significantly bright(er).

-Ed

Jan 21, 2019 at 7:46 PM Post #4,440 of 62,419
I checked out their website, it has english translations, and mention something about HDSS which is their proprietary drivers i guess? Not sure, but they seem really good, too bad it's Japan only

I was going to pull the trigger, but it says out of stock :frowning2:

I think HDSS is a sound scaler, that takes the incomplete bluetooth signal and tries to fill in the blanks to give a sound closer to 24-bit files. I think JVC also uses it in their neckband bluetooth earphones and they got a lot of praise for the sound boost...I think it was toggleable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back