Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Dec 5, 2018 at 3:24 AM Post #2,687 of 62,012
I've been listening to MW07 for a few week. After 30+ hours, the first part of the burning process ended.

My first (and most important) experience that the MW07 has too short nozzles, therefore, people with large internal ear canal do not hear the real sound signature, and the isolation is not perfect. To prove this, I made a custom tip that I got with two tips.

20181205_091610_2.jpg

So the length of the nozzle will be good, the sound was completely different.

The first TW IEM for me with bass experience is near wired earphones.

The mid range is also very good. The „scratchiness” of the high is the consequence of BT signal transmission, but it is within my listening range.

Since the lengthening of the nozzle was not tolerated by the thickness of the charging box, I had to make minor changes to it.

20181205_091737_2.jpg

For me, the best sounded TW IEM is MW07 ...
( I have also 65t, Bragi the Headphone, Erato Muse5 and Erato Apollo 7s)

Sorry for my english...

Dec 5, 2018 at 5:45 AM Post #2,688 of 62,012
I do not know why the RHA is being dismissed easily and thoroughly for lack of OTA updates and APTX.

Ditto. I got mine about 10 days ago and i'm thoroughly impressed - SQ and build quality are great, and Bluetooth connectivity is just superb. I never had a Bluetooth audio receiver so rock-solid before; it can rightfully be compared to Airpods in this regard IMHO.

Dec 5, 2018 at 7:53 AM Post #2,689 of 62,012
It's too soon... ?! :O
Got my Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless on Monday, and I have distortion and "crackling" with them. (At least one user in Reddit forum claims the same)

Nice example. Crackle in right speaker from about 40s. NO crackling with Sony WH-1000MX3, Jaybird X3 or Prostereo H2.

There's also a kind of metallic distortion with tight punchy bass, this on the left speaker.

(A good example showing the "cling" noise after the bass beats)
With Sony WH-1000MX3, Jaybird X3 and Prostereo H2 you don't hear this with AAC and/or AptX codec. Strangely enough all get it with SBC.
It's present with the Sennheisers regardless of source/codec :frowning2: (but only on the left side)

I really hope it's firmware related, and can be fixed, but I think I'm returning them :frowning2:

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2018 at 8:01 AM Post #2,690 of 62,012
It's too soon... ?! :O
Got my Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless on Monday, and I have distortion and "crackling" with them. (At least one user in Reddit forum claims the same)

Nice example. Crackle in right speaker from about 40s. NO crackling with Sony WH-1000MX, Jaybird X3 or Prostereo H2.

There's also a kind of metallic distortion with tight punchy bass, this on the left speaker.

(A good example showing the "cling" noise after the bass beats)
With Sony WH-1000MX, Jaybird X3 and Prostereo H2 you don't hear this with AAC and/or AptX codec. Strangely enough all get it with SBC.
It's present with the Sennheisers regardless of source/codec :frowning2: (but only on the left side)

I really hope it's firmware related, and can be fixed, but I think I'm returning them :frowning2:

Interesting. Thanks for posting. I had some similar impressions that I could not articulate as well as you did over the weekend. I didn't think a whole lot of it at the time but I may need to investigate further. I thought it was the source material.

Dec 5, 2018 at 8:12 AM Post #2,691 of 62,012
Interesting. Thanks for posting. I had some similar impressions that I could not articulate as well as you did over the weekend. I didn't think a whole lot of it at the time but I may need to investigate further. I thought it was the source material.

I've heard the crackling on the right side on many songs. (Running in the sea - Royksopp, Sound of silence - Disturbed etc etc) But the best example is the sound check vid.
The crackling with the Sennheiser MTW, is present on all sources I've tested (SBC, AAC and AptX (also Low latency))

The "metallic cling" sound/noise after bass beats is soooo strange.
I'm 100% sure it's introduced with SBC on any headset.
(Source tested: Apple TV 4 (which I thought was AAC), a common BT USB SBC dongle and also tried my Jaybird X3 on the Avantree Leaf USB dongle (SBC, AptX, AptX LL))

With AAC/AptX (Source tested: iPhone X, Avantree Leaf, Macbook Pro) the noise/distortion "cling sound" is NOT present!
As I said, sadly the MTW's got this regardless of source/codec :frowning2:

Edit: Or is the MTW just connecting with SBC (when it should support AAC/AptX (incl LL))?

Edit2: I checked with my Avantree Oasis Plus now, and the MTW's connected with AptX LL.
(Very bad connection actually, sound on one side lost signal and so on when testing some songs/videoes)
The crackling and "metallic" noise was present on AptX Low Latency as well :frowning2:

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2018 at 11:03 AM Post #2,692 of 62,012
I've heard the crackling on the right side on many songs. (Running in the sea - Royksopp, Sound of silence - Disturbed etc etc) But the best example is the sound check vid.
The crackling with the Sennheiser MTW, is present on all sources I've tested (SBC, AAC and AptX (also Low latency))

The "metallic cling" sound/noise after bass beats is soooo strange.
I'm 100% sure it's introduced with SBC on any headset.
(Source tested: Apple TV 4 (which I thought was AAC), a common BT USB SBC dongle and also tried my Jaybird X3 on the Avantree Leaf USB dongle (SBC, AptX, AptX LL))

With AAC/AptX (Source tested: iPhone X, Avantree Leaf, Macbook Pro) the noise/distortion "cling sound" is NOT present!
As I said, sadly the MTW's got this regardless of source/codec :frowning2:

Edit: Or is the MTW just connecting with SBC (when it should support AAC/AptX (incl LL))?

Edit2: I checked with my Avantree Oasis Plus now, and the MTW's connected with AptX LL.
(Very bad connection actually, sound on one side lost signal and so on when testing some songs/videoes)
The crackling and "metallic" noise was present on AptX Low Latency as well :frowning2:

Maybe you just received a defective set. They did just release, afterall.

Dec 5, 2018 at 11:45 AM Post #2,693 of 62,012
The BT20 may have high output impedance (OI), which can affect the frequency response of BAs. I haven't found OI in the BT20's specs, so that's just a wild guess though. Do you have any DD IEMs to test the BT20 with? DDs are usually not affected by high OI.

Just so you know I'm not making things up, here are impulse response measurements with my JVC FD01 (which is a very analytical / revealing DD). On the left side you see slightly more distortion during attack / decay with the BT20, on the right side you see the noise floor after the impulse has decayed. The signal degradation is quite small and to my ears pretty much negligible in a mobile environment.

wired:

wireless (BT20):
thanks for the explanation.

My BT20 is on the way (hopefully this week or next) so I can test it with Xelento (tesla driver = DD?). I'd hate if it destroys my baby's sweet sound :)

Dec 5, 2018 at 11:51 AM Post #2,695 of 62,012
So you have the MTW's too? Could you please test my findings, and come back with yours?

Dec 5, 2018 at 12:04 PM Post #2,696 of 62,012
For those who want to use APTX with their TW and a mac. It uses SBC by default (to know wich codec is using, lauch music on your mac with your TW, press and hold option key and click the Bluetooth menu bar icon and navigate to the TW entry, you will see the type of codec).

If your TW could use APTX and you see SBC codec,
You have to open the app "terminal" and copy this :
sudo defaults write bluetoothaudiod "Enable AptX codec" -bool true

You'll have to mention your admin password to validate.

If you want AAC, just change AptX by AAC

For me, with this tip found in the Internet, the sound of my Senn' are really really better, switching SBC to APTX.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2018 at 12:20 PM Post #2,697 of 62,012
For those who want to use APTX with their TW and a mac. It uses SBC by default (to know wich codec is using, lauch music on your mac with your TW, press and hold option key and click on the bluetooth logo and select your TW, you will see the type of codec).
If your TW could use APTX,
You have to open the app "terminal" and copy this :
sudo defaults write bluetoothaudiod "Enable AptX codec" -bool true

You'll have to mention your admin password to validate.

If you want AAC, just change AptX by AAC

For me, with this tip found in the Internet, the sound of my Senn' are really really better, switching SBC to APTX.
I've already tested this (also possible to get AAC/AptX with installing Bluetooth Explorer from the Xcode dev package).
Agree that it works well with sound quality, but still got the crackle noise and "metallic cling" as mentioned before on my Senn' MTW.
But this "trick" really helped with my BeatsX when using them with my Macbook Pro :thumbsup:

Would like it if you read my recent posts, and test my findings. (both with SBC and AAC/AptX if you could)

Dec 5, 2018 at 1:20 PM Post #2,698 of 62,012
thanks for the explanation.

My BT20 is on the way (hopefully this week or next) so I can test it with Xelento (tesla driver = DD?). I'd hate if it destroys my baby's sweet sound :)

That will be interesting, because the Xelentos are dynamic driver IEMs and not affected by output impedance.

On the other hand, the Xelentos' sensitivity is rated 110 dB/mW, which is quite a bit higher than my JVC's sensitivity at 103 dB/mW. So, fingers crossed for you that they won't hiss with the BT20. The noise floor on my JVCs is very low, and tbh, I wouldn't expect the Xelentos to pick up much more hiss, even at 7 db higher sensitivity.

Dec 5, 2018 at 1:27 PM Post #2,699 of 62,012
Switching gears here. I just picked up the B&O E8 (again), but this set sounds vastly different that the original set I purchased. Let me explain:

- 1st set sounded very tinny with very little bass depth. EQ (via B&O app) did not improve the sound much. 2nd set sounds rich, full, and responds to EQ nicely. Bass sounds good.
- 1st set was an older build and was part of the $199 Black Friday Promo. 2nd set was up-to-date out of the box and I picked it up on sale for $228.
- 1st set had poor mic pickup and call quality. 2nd set is probably 50% better. It's definitely not the best for calls, but at least my voice is smooth without loud artifacts. I can use it for casual calls.

Very weird. Does anyone else have a similar experience?

Dec 5, 2018 at 1:28 PM Post #2,700 of 62,012
Got my MTWs last night.

This may be of no use to anyone but me, but here are some physical comparisons of the B&O E8 and the Senn MTW. Sound comparison to come later.

TL;DR version - Senns are slightly bigger and have a more pronounced angle to the tip, so they stick out more. Senn case is a lot bigger and taller.

IMG_0227.JPG
IMG_0236.JPG
IMG_0235.JPG
IMG_0228.JPG
IMG_0229.JPG
IMG_0233.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back