Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Dec 5, 2018 at 1:36 PM Post #2,702 of 62,188
Got my MTWs last night.

This may be of no use to anyone but me, but here are some physical comparisons of the B&O E8 and the Senn MTW. Sound comparison to come later.

TL;DR version - Senns are slightly bigger and have a more pronounced angle to the tip, so they stick out more. Senn case is a lot bigger and taller.
Nice! I'm definitely looking forward to your overall impressions on the MTW and comparisons between the 2 (e.g. sound, video delay, calls). Currently have the E8 and enjoying them so far.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2018 at 2:10 PM Post #2,704 of 62,188
Other things besides sound -

Senn case charges waaaaaaay faster - USB-C I guess. Forgot to time this but at least 2/3 the time from fully drained. Not sure on the IEMs themselves - will report back.

E8 case magnets are a lot stronger and snappier, but neither set would come out of the case no matter how reasonably hard I shook it.

The Senn case feels more substantial and heavier. Despite the leather on the E8 being nicer, it feels higher-end to me.

The Senn case texture attracts all kinds of lint, hair, etc. I like the elastic strap that holds the E8 case together, and wish Senn had done the same. I don't think the E8 case hinge is "better," but the Senn hinge is definitely "looser."

The E8 case is better for knowing what's going on charging-wise. It's a lot easier to tell the E8s are charging from the LED at the front of the open case, and to tell the case is charging (and how charged) due to the 2 LEDs on the back (effectively tells you there are 2 full charges in the case). Senn case has one charging light on the back. You push a button to see charge status. If the MTW are in the case, it tells you their status (solid green for full, amber flashing otherwise). If they aren't, it tells you the case charge (same thing).

The Senn stock silicone tips are much heavier duty and have a little plastic X to hold their shape. The E8s' stock tips are sort of cheap and almost transparent. Then again, the E8 came with complys and the Senns didn't.

In contrast, the LED on the actual MTW tells you a whole lot more than the similar LED on the Right E8. For the E8, the light is white when they're on and L and R are close enough, flashing blue to pair, and IIRC briefly solid blue when paired. That's about it. There's an LED on both the L and R MTW, and the LED tells you all kinds of stuff:

Capture Senn.JPG

Dec 5, 2018 at 4:07 PM Post #2,707 of 62,188
I've already tested this (also possible to get AAC/AptX with installing Bluetooth Explorer from the Xcode dev package).
Agree that it works well with sound quality, but still got the crackle noise and "metallic cling" as mentioned before on my Senn' MTW.
But this "trick" really helped with my BeatsX when using them with my Macbook Pro :thumbsup:

Would like it if you read my recent posts, and test my findings. (both with SBC and AAC/AptX if you could)

If I use the Audio test on Youtube, I've got crackles at 40-41' sec. But according to me, it's from the frequency of the sound, not the TW.
When I try with Jabra Elite Active 65T, at 40, 41', there is no sound at all
Do you try to use your TW with other sources (dap or phones of yours friends, family...) ? Ask them if they hear the crackle sounds (without the audio sound test on youtube).

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2018 at 4:17 PM Post #2,708 of 62,188
It's too soon... ?! :O
Got my Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless on Monday, and I have distortion and "crackling" with them. (At least one user in Reddit forum claims the same)

Nice example. Crackle in right speaker from about 40s. NO crackling with Sony WH-1000MX3, Jaybird X3 or Prostereo H2.

There's also a kind of metallic distortion with tight punchy bass, this on the left speaker.

(A good example showing the "cling" noise after the bass beats)
With Sony WH-1000MX3, Jaybird X3 and Prostereo H2 you don't hear this with AAC and/or AptX codec. Strangely enough all get it with SBC.
It's present with the Sennheisers regardless of source/codec :frowning2: (but only on the left side)

I really hope it's firmware related, and can be fixed, but I think I'm returning them :frowning2:

FWIW, I heard the crackle sound on both the E8 and the MTW. More pronounced on the E8, actually. Like something was rattling loose in the R IEM. On the MTW it was barely audible at full volume but it was there.

Not hearing anything of note on the second sample.

Dec 5, 2018 at 4:57 PM Post #2,709 of 62,188
FWIW, I heard the crackle sound on both the E8 and the MTW. More pronounced on the E8, actually. Like something was rattling loose in the R IEM. On the MTW it was barely audible at full volume but it was there.

Not hearing anything of note on the second sample.
Hmm, I don't hear the crackle on multiple other headsets I have (as stated in my post)
So no like "metallic" / "cling" reverberation on every bass drum beat? Edit: On the second sample I mean.
Is it possible to hear the second sample with SBC? Do you have a dongle or a PC which only supports SBC?

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2018 at 5:04 PM Post #2,710 of 62,188
If I use the Audio test on Youtube, I've got crackles at 40-41' sec. But according to me, it's from the frequency of the sound, not the TW.
When I try with Jabra Elite Active 65T, at 40, 41', there is no sound at all
Do you try to use your TW with other sources (dap or phones of yours friends, family...) ? Ask them if they hear the crackle sounds (without the audio sound test on youtube).
I've tried soooo many devices, codecs and headsets :)
Sony WH-1000MX3, Jaybird X3, Soundmagic E11C with Avantree Clipper Pro, RBH Prostereo H2, BeatsX (yep, I own them all :p )
SBC, AAC, AptX, AptX LL, AptX HD codecs
Apple TV 4k, Macbook Pro, Avantree Leaf USB, Avantree Oasis Plus Transmitter, CSR AptX USB dongle, iPhone X

My conclusion:
I hear the crackle (right side) only with the Senn' MTWs, regardless of device and codecs. (With audio test on Youtube, but with a lot of other songs (Running in the Sea - Røyksopp / Sound of Silence - Disturbed etc etc)
I hear the "metallic" distortion with all headsets when using the SBC codec
I only hear the "metallic" distortion with the Senn' MTWs with AAC and AptX (but only in left speaker)

I hope I have a faulty product....

Thanks for testing!

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2018 at 5:41 PM Post #2,711 of 62,188
Hmm, I don't hear the crackle on multiple other headsets I have (as stated in my post)
So no like "metallic" / "cling" reverberation on every bass drum beat? Edit: On the second sample I mean.
Is it possible to hear the second sample with SBC? Do you have a dongle or a PC which only supports SBC?

Sorry, just my iphone, ipad and Nintendo Switch (to test lag) here at work.

Dec 5, 2018 at 6:06 PM Post #2,712 of 62,188
That will be interesting, because the Xelentos are dynamic driver IEMs and not affected by output impedance.

On the other hand, the Xelentos' sensitivity is rated 110 dB/mW, which is quite a bit higher than my JVC's sensitivity at 103 dB/mW. So, fingers crossed for you that they won't hiss with the BT20. The noise floor on my JVCs is very low, and tbh, I wouldn't expect the Xelentos to pick up much more hiss, even at 7 db higher sensitivity.
Yup..fingers crossed.

I'm thinking of making it a project: like modding some place to make it more like TW (battery case, magnetic charge, etc.). I already got all the parts I need and will update later if it works out well :)

Dec 5, 2018 at 6:22 PM Post #2,713 of 62,188
OK, far from a critical listening, but my first 2 hours' summary. Both on the center on the "EQ" in their respective apps, and using the same tips for both.

One thing that matters quite a bit more than I would have thought - the Senns are harder to insert due to their slightly rounder shape. There's nothing to grip. This drove me nuts switching back and forth.

E8 is harsher - the ping pong ball noises on Yosi Horikawa's Bubbles actually snap to the point they hurt a little. The E8 sound is more treble-forward - not less bassy, just that the treble is more dominant. A good example is the background hiss in quiet moments that you get from an old analog recording, like Move It On Over by Hank Williams. You can hear it on both but on the E8 it is more forward and sibilant.

Senns are significantly louder. Senns have a lot more directional soundstage, especially front to back, if that makes sense. The Senns' sound is overall fuller but not less detailed.

Dec 5, 2018 at 6:55 PM Post #2,714 of 62,188
I've been listening to MW07 for a few week. After 30+ hours, the first part of the burning process ended.

My first (and most important) experience that the MW07 has too short nozzles, therefore, people with large internal ear canal do not hear the real sound signature, and the isolation is not perfect. To prove this, I made a custom tip that I got with two tips.

So the length of the nozzle will be good, the sound was completely different.

The first TW IEM for me with bass experience is near wired earphones.

The mid range is also very good. The „scratchiness” of the high is the consequence of BT signal transmission, but it is within my listening range.

Since the lengthening of the nozzle was not tolerated by the thickness of the charging box, I had to make minor changes to it.

For me, the best sounded TW IEM is MW07 ...
( I have also 65t, Bragi the Headphone, Erato Muse5 and Erato Apollo 7s)

Sorry for my english...

That's a cool case mod! Would have been afraid to do it for fear of hitting a battery or connector.

I love everything I hear about the MW07s except for the terrible battery life reported by so many...If they ever have a MW07 v2 with much better battery life, I'd sell my Sennheiser MTWs for them

Dec 5, 2018 at 7:38 PM Post #2,715 of 62,188
OK, far from a critical listening, but my first 2 hours' summary. Both on the center on the "EQ" in their respective apps, and using the same tips for both.

One thing that matters quite a bit more than I would have thought - the Senns are harder to insert due to their slightly rounder shape. There's nothing to grip. This drove me nuts switching back and forth.

E8 is harsher - the ping pong ball noises on Yosi Horikawa's Bubbles actually snap to the point they hurt a little. The E8 sound is more treble-forward - not less bassy, just that the treble is more dominant. A good example is the background hiss in quiet moments that you get from an old analog recording, like Move It On Over by Hank Williams. You can hear it on both but on the E8 it is more forward and sibilant.

Senns are significantly louder. Senns have a lot more directional soundstage, especially front to back, if that makes sense. The Senns' sound is overall fuller but not less detailed.

A good example of the difference in approach is in Ageispolis by Aphex Twin. At about 2:00, there's a white noise that sounds a lot like rolling surf. It stays there over the next minute and a half, really getting prevalent about 2:50. On the E8, it is really noticeable and at the forefront the entire time. On the Senns, you have to be listening for it in order to even notice it until 2:50.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back