Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Dec 5, 2018 at 7:43 PM Post #2,716 of 62,419
That's a cool case mod!
Totally agree, very cool!
I love everything I hear about the MW07s except for the terrible battery life reported by so many...If they ever have a MW07 v2 with much better battery life, I'd sell my Sennheiser MTWs for them
Yeah, I love MW07 SQ and style so much that I'm willing to put up with atrocious battery life. That despite the fact that I have to carry also 65t as a backup. My MW07/2 wish list:
  1. Battery - I know their excellent SQ comes from a relatively huge by IEM standards 10mm driver with a stiff beryllium diaphragm. All that needs a lot of energy. But c'mon, there should be truth in advertisement - 3.5 hours is unreachable for these! It borders on a fraud. They need to raise it to at least 4 hours, real ones, not the paper spec. BT5 may help.
  2. Call quality - For the price mics should be way better
  3. Case and eartips - Brushed metal is flashy and all that but it's also heavy, prohibitive of tall eartips and prone to scratches and fingertips. Thanks to short battery life I have to carry it everywhere and its weight is noticeable. And again at this price there should be magnetic guides. I would much prefer the case like E8, in materials, size/weight and depth to accommodate for taller 3rd party eartips. Speaking of which, for $300 D&D could've included more variety of better quality and some Complys as well.
  4. App, transparency mode and FW updates - again for the sake of sound and price D&D probably wanted to leave more battery, more acoustic sculpturing space and less electronic interference. Still other high-ends like Senns and E8 somehow found a way to cope with this. MW07 sound is already wonderful without resident EQ (and one can EQ on the source), but transparency mode is really lacking.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2018 at 9:06 PM Post #2,717 of 62,419
I have been using Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless for 2 weeks now. I feel uncomfortable after an hour of wearing.

Has anybody tried Spiral Dot tips on them? Are they compatible with the earphones? Do they help in terms of comfort?

Dec 5, 2018 at 9:33 PM Post #2,718 of 62,419
Hi I'm looking to move to True Wireless Earbuds since phones are losing their headphone jacks. I bought the cheap Xiaomi airdots just to try but I didn't really like them because they didn't have track controls and it wasn't really snug in my ear. I've been reading the past few pages and picked up

Sennheiser MTW
Havit G1W
Anker Soundcore Liberty Lite
RHA TrueConnect

I have a budget of about US150-200. But I'm mainly looking for a decent sound plus track controls. I can't live without switching forward and back.
Does anyone have any recommendations?

Dec 5, 2018 at 10:40 PM Post #2,719 of 62,419
Hi I'm looking to move to True Wireless Earbuds since phones are losing their headphone jacks. I bought the cheap Xiaomi airdots just to try but I didn't really like them because they didn't have track controls and it wasn't really snug in my ear. I've been reading the past few pages and picked up

Sennheiser MTW
Havit G1W
RHA TrueConnect

I have a budget of about US150-200. But I'm mainly looking for a decent sound plus track controls. I can't live without switching forward and back.

Of these 4 I’ve only tried the G1 and for the price (and even if they cost twice the price) I find them very good. The call quality is only average and only in the right ear and they don’t have ambient noice mode or volume control but other than that fine so you could try them and see if they work for you.

Dec 5, 2018 at 11:04 PM Post #2,720 of 62,419
Does 5.0 offer any actual audio improvements? I have read mixed reports. AptxHD maybe requires 5.0?
well it does allow for larger amounts of data being transferred wirelessly (don't remember the exact numbers). So I would think there should be audio improvements, as they can send more data.

Dec 6, 2018 at 2:38 AM Post #2,721 of 62,419
That's a cool case mod! Would have been afraid to do it for fear of hitting a battery or connector.

I love everything I hear about the MW07s except for the terrible battery life reported by so many...If they ever have a MW07 v2 with much better battery life, I'd sell my Sennheiser MTWs for them

Before I start a DIY mode make, I'll thoroughly check it the device.

There is a page where levels of internal photos are taken from each BT device.

Here is the inside of the MW07.

It is clearly visible that no dedicated dac-amp is included only a simply CSR chip.

For example Sennheiser MTW has a dialog 7217 da-ad chip.

If I have a little time, I'll show you 12 BA custom made TW CIEMs, what I did in this summer.

Dec 6, 2018 at 2:58 AM Post #2,722 of 62,419
Before I start a DIY mode make, I'll thoroughly check it the device.

There is a page where levels of internal photos are taken from each BT device.

Here is the inside of the MW07.

It is clearly visible that no dedicated dac-amp is included only a simply CSR chip.

For example Sennheiser MTW has a dialog 7217 da-ad chip.

If I have a little time, I'll show you 12 BA custom made TW CIEMs, what I did in this summer.

That's very interesting, thanks for sharing! I wonder can one replace that battery, or squeeze a bigger one in there

Dec 6, 2018 at 3:56 AM Post #2,724 of 62,419
That's very interesting, thanks for sharing! I wonder can one replace that battery, or squeeze a bigger one in there

Generally there is a Varta 1254 battery in TW IEMs.
It is 60 mAh capacity and 12 mm in diameter.
The Muse5 has Varta 1654, it has a capacity of 120 mAh, but it is 16 mm in diameter. This is already very large in BT units.
The average size of the Varta 1454 is 85 mAh capacitiy and 14 mm in diameter.

Here they are

Dec 6, 2018 at 11:39 AM Post #2,725 of 62,419

Sennheiser MTW
Havit G1W
RHA TrueConnect

Don't get the Liberty Lites unless SQ isn't a big deal, and if you do get them, wait until one of the periodic sales and pick them up for $50. They're fine for what they are at that price. They're my gym headphones. But they can compete SQ wise with anything in the $150-200 range.

Lots of good reviews on here for the Jabra 65t, which are usually available in your price range. You might be able to find the B&O E8s on sale for the high end of your range. I prefer the E8 of those two, but that's partially SQ and partially due to aesthetics - the Jabras look too much like bluetooth earpieces from 10 years ago to me.

Sennheisers are likely too new to fall below the $250-300 range.

Dec 6, 2018 at 12:14 PM Post #2,727 of 62,419
As I promised…
In August, I was started in a big business, bought an Erato Apollo 7s TW IEM and built it into my custom Layla CIEM.
This JH Audio Layla is not an ordinary CIEM because the bass pot has been built into the body and has also received an APEX module. I also rebuilt little the crossower system.
Installation was not easy. The heaviest task was the charging connector because the Apollo electronics are not monitoring the charging current, which the charger does through a plus feedback connection (just like when charging cordless industrial machines). Here I put a 3-pin connector in the body where the middle constant, the two external can be interchanged because one is forward and the other is feedback.
The result was a BT IEM with a huge soundstage (width and depth). Mid are more dominate than highs, BT's harshness here is back , becausein the high BA scrossower system has been changed a bit.
The bass is strong, fast thanks to 2x3800 Sonion BA-s
I've rebuilt the original charger and replaced the 300 mAh battery in a 1500 mAh battery.
Its disadvantage is 1.5 hours of operating time. (12 BA must be a power)

20181206_104614_2.jpg
20181206_104725_2.jpg

Dec 6, 2018 at 12:18 PM Post #2,728 of 62,419
As I promised…
In August, I was started in a big business, bought an Erato Apollo 7s TW IEM and built it into my custom Layla CIEM.
This JH Audio Layla is not an ordinary CIEM because the bass pot has been built into the body and has also received an APEX module. I also rebuilt little the crossower system.
Installation was not easy. The heaviest task was the charging connector because the Apollo electronics are not monitoring the charging current, which the charger does through a plus feedback connection (just like when charging cordless industrial machines). Here I put a 3-pin connector in the body where the middle constant, the two external can be interchanged because one is forward and the other is feedback.
The result was a BT IEM with a huge soundstage (width and depth). Mid are more dominate than highs, BT's harshness here is back , becausein the high BA scrossower system has been changed a bit.
The bass is strong, fast thanks to 2x3800 Sonion BA-s
I've rebuilt the original charger and replaced the 300 mAh battery in a 1500 mAh battery.
Its disadvantage is 1.5 hours of operating time. (12 BA must be a power)

A lot of that is over my head but those look really cool. Impressed.

Dec 6, 2018 at 2:23 PM Post #2,729 of 62,419
I've heard the crackling on the right side on many songs. (Running in the sea - Royksopp, Sound of silence - Disturbed etc etc) But the best example is the sound check vid.
The crackling with the Sennheiser MTW, is present on all sources I've tested (SBC, AAC and AptX (also Low latency))

The "metallic cling" sound/noise after bass beats is soooo strange.
I'm 100% sure it's introduced with SBC on any headset.
(Source tested: Apple TV 4 (which I thought was AAC), a common BT USB SBC dongle and also tried my Jaybird X3 on the Avantree Leaf USB dongle (SBC, AptX, AptX LL))

With AAC/AptX (Source tested: iPhone X, Avantree Leaf, Macbook Pro) the noise/distortion "cling sound" is NOT present!
As I said, sadly the MTW's got this regardless of source/codec :frowning2:

Edit: Or is the MTW just connecting with SBC (when it should support AAC/AptX (incl LL))?

Edit2: I checked with my Avantree Oasis Plus now, and the MTW's connected with AptX LL.
(Very bad connection actually, sound on one side lost signal and so on when testing some songs/videoes)
The crackling and "metallic" noise was present on AptX Low Latency as well :frowning2:

Chiming in to confirm this—I also noticed the crackling in particular notes. For me it was very noticable after 2:08 in the right earpiece for Phil Cook's "The Jensens" and for punchy bass sample at 4:12 in . I thought it was a defect, so Sennheiser sent me a second pair—but it had the exact same crackles at the exact same time. My (somewhat more than expensive) Beyerdynamic Amiron Wireless does not crackle here, even with the same source.

Dec 6, 2018 at 2:51 PM Post #2,730 of 62,419
Chiming in to confirm this—I also noticed the crackling in particular notes. For me it was very noticable after 2:08 in the right earpiece for Phil Cook's "The Jensens" and for punchy bass sample at 4:12 in . I thought it was a defect, so Sennheiser sent me a second pair—but it had the exact same crackles at the exact same time. My (somewhat more than expensive) Beyerdynamic Amiron Wireless does not crackle here, even with the same source.

Thanks for answering.
Did you test the vids I posted for crackling (38-39 sec into the 1-minute sound test), and the "metallic reverbereration" on the bass drum (the Kari Bremnes track)?

The noise/distortion I called "metallic reverbereration", do you hear it only in the left speaker?
The same noise presents itself on any headset I own when using SBC codec. (But then in both speakers) Especially with bass like that in the Bremnes song. This noise is as I said NOT present with AAC/AptX on any of my headsets. That's strange.
Unfortunately it's there with any codecs on the Senn' MTW, but only in left channel (maybe in both with SBC, don't remember since I gave up when I heard it with AAC/AptX)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back