Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Nov 30, 2018 at 2:18 PM Post #2,551 of 62,456
Talk about $300 M&D MW07! Personally I almost never used transparency mode on 65t. But the fact that both RHA and MW07 not only miss this feature but also don't have an app and firmware updates is very strange. It's like if you're a tiny boutique hi-fi house you'll loose your cred if you don't look backward.

When you're out and about transparency is a bit of a must as it's really annoying to have to pull out your well adjusted IEM !

Nov 30, 2018 at 2:21 PM Post #2,552 of 62,456
Talk about $300 M&D MW07! Personally I almost never used transparency mode on 65t. But the fact that both RHA and MW07 not only miss this feature but also don't have an app and firmware updates is very strange. It's like if you're a tiny boutique hi-fi house you'll loose your cred if you don't look backward.

I somewhat understand the lack of app/firmware. VModa does the same, as do a few others, where there's no "processing" to the sound and it's literally just a BT receiver stuck onto the device. Products like Sony/Bose/Jabra where there's more going on under the hood require firmware updates and app control. I don't look down on 'em too much for that.

To my way of thinking, that's less money going into bells and whistles, more money going into a good product. Just a shame with the MW07 it didn't go into battery life.

Nov 30, 2018 at 3:47 PM Post #2,554 of 62,456
When you're out and about transparency is a bit of a must as it's really annoying to have to pull out your well adjusted IEM !

To those who don't have transparency mode on their TWs, just try to flex your jaw muscles. In many cases that breaks the seal so you can hear a person talking to you.

(Your counterpart may wonder why you're grimacing though
9jpx3U3.png
)

Nov 30, 2018 at 5:08 PM Post #2,555 of 62,456
https://www.theverge.com/2018/11/30...ireless-review-specs-features-price-earphones

Verge review of the Sennheiser MTW, they also previously reviewed the MW07 ( different reviewer though)

As someone with the Senns, I think the criticisms are very valid, but so are the praises!

I usually like The Verge but that was a pretty dumb review.

While I personally don't like some of the Senn's gestures, him saying "I didn't read the included instructions or look at the companion app so I'm going to complain about the gestures" was ridiculous.

Also a con is "having to keep the case with you at all times." What? Don't you need the case for any wireless buds? And if you're going for a run/workout for a couple hours, you can most definitely leave the case at home.

And I haven't experienced any connection issues (and I'm in a major city like the reviewer) so not sure where that's coming from either.

I rate his review a 3/10.

Nov 30, 2018 at 5:48 PM Post #2,556 of 62,456
The bass on the senns is phenomenal. I'm really trying to figure out how to increase the max volume on them so that I can get rid of my vegas/Q5.. tired nearly everything (rebooting phone, turning volume all the way down then up, reconnecting the IEMs, disabling volume limitations on iphone, EQ, etc..).

Nov 30, 2018 at 5:52 PM Post #2,557 of 62,456
I usually like The Verge but that was a pretty dumb review.

While I personally don't like some of the Senn's gestures, him saying "I didn't read the included instructions or look at the companion app so I'm going to complain about the gestures" was ridiculous.

Also a con is "having to keep the case with you at all times." What? Don't you need the case for any wireless buds? And if you're going for a run/workout for a couple hours, you can most definitely leave the case at home.

And I haven't experienced any connection issues (and I'm in a major city like the reviewer) so not sure where that's coming from either.

I rate his review a 3/10.

I get what you're saying, but the control system is very unintuitive. I've given the Senns to plenty of people to test (ew, I know) and invariably they accidentally pause/play music, turn on transparency etc.

Even with my previous Beoplay e8s, the touch area was much smaller so it was easier not to accidentally mess things up when removing or putting them in. I'd still prefer physical buttons though.

Also, the case thing is a small but real annoyance. You cannot afaik turn off the Senns, you have to wait for them to pause. I sometimes went out without the e8 case for a day if I knew I wasn't going to be listening to alot of music because I could turn them off and rely on the inbuilt 4 hours- definitely can't do that with the Senns

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2018 at 5:57 PM Post #2,558 of 62,456
I get what you're saying, but the control system is very unintuitive. I've given the Senns to plenty of people to test (ew, I know) and invariably they accidentally pause/play music, turn on transparency etc.

Even with my previous Beoplay e8s, the touch area was much smaller so it was easier not to accidentally mess things up when removing or putting them in. I'd still prefer physical buttons though.

Also, the case thing is a small but real annoyance. You cannot afaik turn off the Senns, you have to wait for them to pause. I sometimes went out without the e8 case for a day if I knew I wasn't going to be listening to alot of music because I could turn them off and rely on the inbuilt 4 hours- definitely can't do that with the Senns

Yeah I get that, but I wouldn't describe any headphones' gestures as "intuitive." They all do it differently, they all require a slight learning curve after reading the manual.

If you're going to take the buds out and stick them in your pocket, why not have the case?! It easily fits in your pocket.

(sorry if I sound like I'm drinking the kool aid too much)

Nov 30, 2018 at 6:22 PM Post #2,559 of 62,456
The E8s pretty much have similar controls. But it's pointless to argue - either you like the controls and can adapt to them, or you can't get with the program and you learn to hate them. Every manufacturer has their own idea of what's the "right" way. I can tell you that if the Verge reviewer hated the TWM controls, they're really going to hate the RHA TrueConnects. Those are even fussier.

In the end, I think true wireless buds need to support customization - if I prefer play/pause on the right, I should be able to do that. If I want play/pause to be 15 clicks, I should be able to make my own decisions like this as a matter of personal choice. Right now, everyone more or less locks you into their way.

Nov 30, 2018 at 6:42 PM Post #2,562 of 62,456
If you like them, TFZ has made a TW...
tfz-x1-700x700.JPG

Need more info but they are armature driven, calls are broadcast in both sides, 7 hour battery life and 100 hours in the case. BT5.0 and 20M range. Pairs to two phone simultaneously, auto on and connect, IPX7, and says two buttons on each to make functions easier.

Nov 30, 2018 at 6:46 PM Post #2,563 of 62,456
If you like them, TFZ has made a TW...
tfz-x1-700x700.JPG

Need more info but they are armature driven, calls are broadcast in both sides, 7 hour battery life and 100 hours in the case. BT5.0 and 20M range. Pairs to two phone simultaneously, auto on and connect, IPX7, and says two buttons on each to make functions easier.

Cool find. Want.

Nov 30, 2018 at 6:59 PM Post #2,565 of 62,456

I don't own 'em so I'm not aware, but do the Senns have no built-in timeout feature? A lot of TWE's don't turn off on their own but will go into standby/sleep if they aren't playing anything after X minutes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back