Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Aug 6, 2018 at 2:43 AM Post #812 of 62,439
I have zero issues with noise floor with my Elite 65t, and I tend to be very sensitive with that (went through probably $5k worth of sources trying to get one quiet enough for some highly sensitive CIEMs). There's definitely a noise floor, but it's not audible enough to be a problem for me.

I don't know if this would have any effect, but are those folks hearing a hiss using phones or sources that are Bluetooth 5.0 capable? I'm using a 5.0 source (Pixel 2 XL). Are you hearing it all the time you have the Jabras in your ears or just at specific times? Finally, are you on the latest firmware? I know they did some sort of change with the latest firmware regarding a balance issue with the left earpiece but I wonder if that could have helped any audible noise floor issues vs the old firmware.

And to those commenting on sound quality, I find the Jabras are "good enough" for the form factor, but they're certainly not amazing. The Bose Soundsport Free are still the best-sounding true wireless in-ears by a country mile IMO.

Hello all,

I am on the latest firmware, and i dont think its bluetooth 5.0 issue. At first i thought it was my phone too but I tried it with various devices. The noise is still there.

I also updated the app recently, previous version has problems but right now this is ok. Theres some nifty stuff there as well so i will revise my review of that as positive altho not as good as bose nor samsung.

I also think the issue is as mentioned by SomeGuyDude, due to master and slave issue between the two buds.

I actually liked the sound signature of this Jabra which pisses me off even more because i could really enjoy using the iems. I hope Jabra can do some sort of firmware fix. I am commenting about this Jabra issue not because i hate Jabra per say but because i want to share my experiences with would-be buyers so they know what they are in for and to be aware of issues to consider. These jabra units are not insignificant in cost.

I think a lot of people here is returning good comments on the Jaybird, so i would be thinking about that. The bose has a very awkward look, just too much for me to even consider it (i will give it a listen when i visit their store tho..). Others i am looking at are the sonys, really need to listen to them coz there are some reviews about the misconnection between left and right. Maybe B&O too.

PS: David how did you get the unit to fit in the case after your little DIY. I will check back your post if i can find it. I was thinking of buying a set of comply tips..

Aug 6, 2018 at 3:38 AM Post #813 of 62,439
As of now I don’t think there is one stand out unit that really ticks all boxes, all units seem to have one or more issues so the trick seems to be to find the unit that has more ups than downs for each individual users use case. For me the Beosound E8 does enogh things right for what I need but they too are not perfect.

Aug 6, 2018 at 10:48 AM Post #814 of 62,439
For the past few days I've been popping by the local e-earphone store in Akihabara to try out the true wireless demo units they have there (and they do have a decent range there, just see the pix here). I've been using my V-Moda Forza wireless in the gym and think my sweat has finally gotten to it that the music and Siri just pops out randomly.

Trying everything from the true wireless of Sonys, Bose, B&Os, JBLs, Bragi, Eratos, etc. I think Jabra's have been sonically the most pleasing for my liking. The difference between the Elite Active 65t's and Elite Sports is a bit of a toss-up . The bass on the Elite Sports has a somewhat more holographic presentation however it can be overwhelming depending on the track/genre. The Elite Active 65t's are more tame by comparison but has a flatter/less holographic presentation. In the end I think I've preferred the Elite Active 65t and will pick those up tomorrow/Wed. I could always EQ more bass if I wanted with them.

Fit-wise, the Elite Sports were more snug but rather strangely for my right ear, is less isolating. The Elite Active 65t's aren't as snug but isolate better. I hope it holds in my ear during my workouts. Buttons on the Elite Active 65t's are easier to operate.

On a side note, I'm not certain why the Bose SoundSports and Sony WF-SP700N's rank highly as sonically they didn't sound as clear/crisp as the Jabra's - at least to my preference.

Despite settling my mind on the Jabra Elite Active 65t for now, anyone has any other recommendations for me to try?

Aug 6, 2018 at 11:30 AM Post #816 of 62,439
Aug 6, 2018 at 12:38 PM Post #818 of 62,439
Why most cheap (under $80) pure wireless IEMs, like those on Amazon, have all other typical controls (play/pause, forward/skip, answer/cancel, assistant) but NOT volume controls? Does it somehow require more expensive chips? Just wondering.

Aug 6, 2018 at 12:48 PM Post #819 of 62,439
at what price point do wireless earphones start getting Westone 3 level?

and what are some brands to look into?

Aug 6, 2018 at 1:04 PM Post #820 of 62,439
Probably none. Among wireless I have Jabra 65t Elite and had B&O E8. Both sound like a decent $80-100 pair of wired dynamic driver IEMs. In terms of overall sound quality E8 is the better of the two. But even it can't approach Westone 2 which I have, much less my beloved Westone 4. Draw your own conclusions about Westone 3.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2018 at 1:18 PM Post #821 of 62,439
from the models I own you could try the Samsung iconx 2018 fantastic touch sensitive controls, but the sound is to me is flatter than jabras, a little less bass but very clean and clear.

Aug 6, 2018 at 1:31 PM Post #822 of 62,439

I like my Beosound E8 but on pure sq it is not even close to my Jays qJays V2

Aug 6, 2018 at 9:32 PM Post #823 of 62,439
PS: David how did you get the unit to fit in the case after your little DIY. I will check back your post if i can find it. I was thinking of buying a set of comply tips..

I replaced the stock tips on the jabra elite sport with some cheap spares i had in size large, fits fine, case has no problem holding them.on the jabra 65t actives those tips were fine i did not need to change them out, perfect seal. On my Samsung iconx 2018 i brought comply specific tips for them, it changed the sound too much, took away all the highs and made bass sound bad so I went to some spares good to go, no problem with case either. I also brought spin fit tips size large and it was slightly too small could not get a good seal.

Oh I forgot the guy looking for bassy true wireless go to best buy and try the jams u!tra, I had them, these had way too much bass for me, but they had very strong connection, very light, 3 hour run time, with 10 additional charges from case, not bad. They feel a little cheap plastic wise but look nice, and fit good.They didn't sound great but not bad either just ok but that bass was so strong with these, it was beats headphone like.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/jam-live-true-wireless-in-ear-headphones-black/5796033.p?skuId=5796033

Here is a review
https://www.soundguys.com/jam-ultra-true-wireless-earbuds-review-14207/

Aug 9, 2018 at 8:39 AM Post #824 of 62,439
Why most cheap (under $80) pure wireless IEMs, like those on Amazon, have all other typical controls (play/pause, forward/skip, answer/cancel, assistant) but NOT volume controls? Does it somehow require more expensive chips? Just wondering.

I have the kozon a5, (goes by many names) one of the cheaper chinese wireless with volume control. It has all the features I was looking for:
-volume control
-skip tracks forward and back
-turn on and off without the charging case
-phone calls in both ears
Sound obviously not as good as the jabra 65, but not bad considering price and features.

now waiting for something with the latest qualcomm apt-x to show up

Aug 12, 2018 at 4:46 PM Post #825 of 62,439
I second that - these headphones offer a very intimate sound and are crying out for APT-X (or better yet APT-X HD).

I have a strong suspicion that Sony are going to be first out of the gate with this sort of True Wireless headphone.

My wish list would be:-

Small, light and strong - ideally made from lightweight metal.
Deep fit.
APT-X HD and strong amplification.
Balanced Armature/Hybrid design.
Apple Airpod quality case/charger.
On-headphone volume, track, assistant trigger - preferably touch controls.

I have the following Wireless Headphones:-

Apple Airpod
SoundPEATS Q32
Sony WH1000XM2
Aqua Bluetooth Headphone Amplifier

I rate them all very highly. Apple and Sony have the edge over the others though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back