Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
May 26, 2018 at 10:24 AM Post #601 of 62,203
I am very interested in your thoughts on the Sony wf-sp700n when u get them.

May 26, 2018 at 10:25 AM Post #602 of 62,203
Hi, for anybody interested in testing different eartips, spinfit have released a few new silicon tips. I used to use CP100 and CP800 and found them effective for giving a good seal for some wired IEM. New ones include CP 100Z, 145, 155, 350. these cover quite a few new wireless brands including Jaybird and Jabra and others. i haven't tested these but you can take a look.

https://www.spinfiteartip.com/product-list

May 26, 2018 at 2:49 PM Post #603 of 62,203
Active 65t is out of stock everywhere. I guess Jabra's production hasn't caught up with the demand...

May 26, 2018 at 4:54 PM Post #604 of 62,203
Brought some of those spinfits for my jabra elite sport, jabra elite 65t active, samsung iconx 2018. Currently using comply, Thanks.

Last edited:
May 26, 2018 at 9:49 PM Post #606 of 62,203
You should get what size that fits your ear canal, and see if it fits the case. Buy the ones that say specifically for truly wireless you should be fine. Those are cut a different way to fit the case, I have comply tips for my samsung iconx 2018 and they fit fine. Best buy had the 65t active for only one day in my area, they were gone in minutes, this happened with samsung iconx 2018 also when released. Glad I grabbed mine preorder when I did. Truewireless is catching on.

Last edited:
May 27, 2018 at 7:23 PM Post #607 of 62,203
Hi, thanks so much for the review. I've been thinking of getting this for ages. Are you able to answer a question?

The original Earin buds have a background hiss that means I never use for listening in a quiet room. It spoils anything with low-volume passages, e.g. classical music. Perfectly fine for the daily commute, though.

Does the Earin M2 have that background hiss?

Thanks again for the review!

UPDATE: Added some more images and some info regarding the NFMI connectivity comparison with Jabra 65t.

Hi all! So I purchased the Earin M-2 here in Hong Kong, they are available here for a few months now so I decided to pull the trigger. I've been using them for one week and here are my thoughts.

Comfort, Control, Battery life and Portability:

They are really small and very comfortable. They sit flush in the ears and completely invisible, very low profile. I don't feel any earlobe pain after long use.

The earbud controls are capacitive and touch sensitive. This means a simple light touch on the side is needed instead of a push. This is great because you don't have to push hard which hurt the ears of some if you wanted to pause music. The touch controls are basic, one tap to pause/play or answers calls, two taps for next song or to end call or reject incoming call, three taps for previous song and long press to activate voices assistant.

The charging case is really small (4 inches tall and 0.8 inch widest part). They are very pocketable than the charging case of the Jabra Elite 65t that I own. It’s also made of aluminium adding that premium feel to the touch. Earin have chosen to use micro USB (Micro B), I have no complains but some people might prefer USB C. The charging case has three LED lights to indicate the charge of the case. Inside the case are LED lights for each of the buds. Flashing means its charging and steady means its fully charged. It takes under an hour to fully charge the buds and 1.5 hours to fully charge the case. The earbuds also has LED lights right in the centre of the touch area. When taken out of the case, they flash letting you know its powered on and ready to pair. The ear buds last up to 4 hours on a single charge on a 70% volume and and less than 3 to 2.5 hours when you push the volume around 90% to 100%. I can easily reach 4.5 to 5 hours of play time on lower volumes around 50% which are my normal listening volume for this earbuds. The case provides up to 3 charges.

Connectivity and Pairing:

Although using an old Bluetooth 4.2, connectivity is stable. Similar to my Jabra Elite 65t, the earbuds did not skip connections from my iPhone X even in highly crowded areas and in the train.

There are no left or right labels on the IEMs as they feature an auto channel selection. The buds themselves have built-in accelerometer that helps with the L/R channel auto assign.

Each of the earbuds can both work as a master or slave. Both earbuds contains the CSR chipset (unlike the 65t which is only on the right side), whichever of the earbuds connects to the device first, it will be the master and the other earbud will use its NFMI to communicate with the master earbud. The two earbuds can also be connected to separate Bluetooth devices, and in this way used as single headsets on two devices. The only thing I think

First time pairing process is a bit cumbersome as you need to pair both earbuds to your phone. This is needed for the auto channel selection and for the master and slave swapping to work. To pair the earbuds, you take out one earbud first and pair and then take out the other earbud and pair. When paired, they auto connect to the last paired device automatically. The first earbud to connect the device will be the master and the other earbud will be the slave.

These earbuds feature aptX codec. This is a huge plus for people using Android, but for me as an iOS user, I'm currently fine with AAC on iPhone and aptX on my MacBook Pro.

NFMI connectivity (compared to Jabra 65t):

The NFMI in the Earin is really good, they are using an NFMI chip designed by NXP. Doing research on FCCID website (www.fccid.io), it seems Earin is using a frequency of 10.578Mhz while the Jabra Elite 65t uses 10.6Mhz. The NFMI connection between the earbuds is very stable, the slave earbud never loses connection to the master earbud, while in my 65t the left earbud always loses connection, especially if I go near on places with lots of CFL lights or if I go inside a mobile phone shops with lots of turned on demo phones or in shops with CCTV cameras that uses the 10.6Mhz frequency. The left side of my Jabra Elite 65t is also a lot louder than the right side, however the loudness equalises when I pushed the volume around 80%. On lower volumes, the L/R channel is slightly imbalanced. It could be that my Jabra 65t is defective but trying two pairs of 65t in the store yields the same result. The Earin on the other hand did not have these kinds of problem.

Microphone and Calls:

They feature two microphone per earbud (Similar to the 65t) and one mic is used for noise cancelling during calls. The sensitivity of the mics are a bit on the lower side than the 65t but what impressed me the most if how much noise it blocks out than the 65t. Compared to the 65t, even in a very noisy environment, callers did not here much of the noise and they can clearly here my voice. The 65t on the other hand had some difficulties filtering some of noise.

Only one earbud work for calls. Whichever of the earbuds is the assigned master, this will be the one used for call. This is problematic since if you happen to place the one earbud in your left ear first, that will be the assigned master. Some people find weird answering calls with sound coming only on their left ear as some people are accustomed answering calls in their right side of the ear. My solution was to take out one bud first and place it on my right ear (the one I use mostly for calls) which will auto connect to my iPhone and will be assigned as the master, and then place the other earbud in my left ear which will be assigned as the slave. This way, the right side is always used for calls.

The earbuds feature a sound transparency similar of that of the Jabra Elite 65t. I really do not use this feature so I can't say anything about it but running a quick test, you can clearly hear the person talking to you and adjust the sensitivity of the mics and volume to your preference. You can also set automatic to automatically turn on sound transparency when you pause your music.

Ear tip rolling:

The earbuds uses a 5mm diameter nozzle and is 6mm long, can easily fit standard ear tips. You can see from the image attached I'm using the Sony hybrid ear tips.

Phone app:

Earin provides and app to control the sound transparency feature and adjust the L/R balance. There is no built-in EQ, so this will be a bummer for some. I do hope Earin will release an app which includes an EQ in the future. The app also show the battery life of the earbuds. The earbuds does not display any battery percentage on the battery widget on iOS (unlike the Jabra), the battery level is visible only in the app but it’s a simple circle and no numerical indicators. However, I have never tested this on Android as I don't own any Android phones/tablet anymore. The app also provides firmware updates for the earbuds, however this is not available at the moment according to Earin but will be coming soon. The firmware version is currently visible on Android while on iOS, the firmware version is not visible. Earin said this was a bug and will roll out a new app for iOS.

There are two version numbers viewable in the app, CSR and NXP. It could mean than we can both update the firmwares of the CSR chip (responsible for the codec and bluetooth) and the NXP chip (responsible for NFMI).

Sound Analysis:

Now, this is the one that all have been waiting for. These are IEMs in the end of the day so sound is the most important overall. The earbuds do feature a single full range balanced armature (Probably a Knowles RAB-Series based on my analysis after removing the cloth mesh filter. Don't worry, I returned the mesh in place. Don't want dirt to get in to the armature).

The sound signature is warm neutral and with slightly boost in the sub bass region. I've been listening to my UMPro50 v2 for a long time as they are my daily driver specially for commute to work. Compare to them, they sound above average and would consider them a good all rounder for a single balanced armature let alone being a true wireless one.

Bass:

The bass is deep, punchy and does not bleed in the mids. The overall bass is comparable to my Westone UMPro50 v2 with a slight increase on the sub bass region and the bass is a bit lower than my UMPro50 v2. Listening to some EDM, RnB and Hip Hop in my collection, I can definitely hear the sub bass and bass, fast, thumpy, clear and free from any distortion. The feeling though is different. It still has that rumble, but not on the level of big dynamic drivers. Compared to my Jabra Elite 65t though, I find the Earin to be a bit more bassier on the sub bass region (ironic since the 65t probably uses dynamic drivers). All in all, a very good quality sub bass and bass that is accurate and fast but adds that small notch to give you that slight warm and fun to the sound.

Mids:

The mids are lush and rich, they are also the part thats a bit dominant than the bass and highs but not by much. There is a decent amount of separation in the instruments. Vocals sound great for both male and female voices. The overall linearity of the mids is flat.

Highs:

The highs are really good and above average for a single balance armature, they extend around 16khz, which is a standard on most typical single balanced armature. Linearity is flat, this means there is no high peaks which introduces that "tisss" and sibilance sound. What impressed me is despite the warm sound signature, the highs are still clear. You can still hear it if the music demands for it. Cymbals and high hats sounds natural. Not boosted but still fairly clear and natural. Although some who crave that boosted treble may find the highs lacking that sparkle at the end.

Conclusion:

Compared to my 65t, I find the Earin M-2 a very good sounding true wireless IEM. For lovers of a warm and flat sound signature, I would recommend them. Call quality is great, connectivity is great. Overall a happy and great purchase.

Here are some images for viewing pleasure:

Charging case uses Micro USB (Type B)

Size comparison on a typical credit card sized card.

Earbuds inside the charging case.

Accessories and box (Short micro USB cable, two pairs of extra foam tips and two pairs of small and large silicone tips)

Driver and nozzle analysis (cloth screen mesh removed).

May 27, 2018 at 9:30 PM Post #608 of 62,203
Hi, thanks so much for the review. I've been thinking of getting this for ages. Are you able to answer a question?

The original Earin buds have a background hiss that means I never use for listening in a quiet room. It spoils anything with low-volume passages, e.g. classical music. Perfectly fine for the daily commute, though.

Does the Earin M2 have that background hiss?

Thanks again for the review!
Hi! there is a very faint hiss indeed when I tried playing a fully silent WAV file from my iPhone but barely noticeable in a very quiet room. There is no audible hiss when playing music on very low listening volume, I just noticed that as well today. I made a silent 30 second WAV file and synced it in my iPhone to test it. Then again, I would recommend the Earin M-2 if you're planning on using it for your daily commute. But if you mainly use your IEMs in a silent room and you're stationary, I'd still recommend a fully wired setup.

May 27, 2018 at 9:37 PM Post #609 of 62,203
Hi! there is a very faint hiss indeed when I tried playing a fully silent WAV file from my iPhone but barely noticeable in a very quiet room. There is no audible hiss when playing music on very low listening volume, I just noticed that as well today. I made a silent 30 second WAV file and synced it in my iPhone to test it. Then again, I would recommend the Earin M-2 if you're planning on using it for your daily commute. But if you mainly use your IEMs in a silent room and you're stationary, I'd still recommend a fully wired setup.

Wow, thanks for the quick reply! Looking forward to getting these.

May 29, 2018 at 9:03 AM Post #611 of 62,203
I have not used them yet, but the model I have is the spin fit cp100z, that is supposed to be for truewireless, there is a newer model the cp 350 that have a shorter/flatter design like comply tips that are also for truewireless. it looks like the cp 350 are not available yet.

Last edited:
May 30, 2018 at 10:41 AM Post #612 of 62,203
This post might be the one many folks on this thread is looking for...

A sound and fit comparison among:

Bragi Dash Pro
Samsung IconX 2018
Erato Apollo 7S
Sony WF-1000X
B&O E8
PSB M4U TW1

All connected to Sony WM1Z

Photo May 30, 10 46 07 AM.jpg

Best sound: Samsung IconX 2018
Great tonal balance, great subbass. Mid is colored, with an emphasis on 1-2kHz, making vocals sound thin (personally I don't mind). Treble may sound harsh to some, not because of quantity but (relatively) low quality. I am pretty sure Samsung is targeting the FR of AKG N5005 with ref filter on this one.

Bragi Dash Pro: Typical 1BA sound - more midbass than subbass, overly forward mids, no treble extension... you name it.

Erato Apollo 7S: Great tonal balance and soundstaging. It is the closest to the IconX in terms of tuning, but overall sounds veiled and blanketed.

Sony WF-1000X: Transparency on par with that of the IconX, but lacking subbass. Great quality highs. Mid may sound forward to some.

B&O E8: The worst among all. Sounds thin and lifeless. Lacking bass and body.

PSB M4U TW1: This thing doesn't even work. It blasts at the loudest volume and is not adjustable via either the earphones or the WM1Z.

Best, secure fit: Samsung IconX 2018, Sony WF-1000X
(Notice that I find the best fit using all the silicon tips in my inventory. I do not use foam tips.)
They stay firmly in my ears no matter how hard I shake my head.

Stays, but not as secure: Erato Apollo 7S
Not gonna fall out in daily use, but when it is slightly not all the way in, bass leakage may be a problem.

Bragi Dash Pro & B&O E8: They fall out even when I move my Jaw.

PSB M4U TW1: I try to like the earhook, but I just cannot get a secure insertion.

Last edited:
May 30, 2018 at 10:51 AM Post #613 of 62,203
This post might be the one many folks on this thread is looking for...

A sound and fit comparison among:

Bragi Dash Pro
Samsung IconX 2018
Erato Apollo 7S
Sony WF-1000X
B&O E8
PSB M4U TW1

All connected to Sony WM1Z

Best sound: Samsung IconX 2018
Great tonal balance, great subbass. Mid is colored, with an emphasis on 1-2kHz, making vocals sound thin (personally I don't mind). Treble may sound harsh to some, not because of quantity but (relatively) low quality. I am pretty sure Samsung is targeting the FR of AKG N5005 with ref filter on this one.

Bragi Dash Pro: Typical 1BA sound - more midbass than subbass, overly forward mids, no treble extension... you name it.

Erato Apollo 7S: Great tonal balance and soundstaging. It is the closest to the IconX in terms of tuning, but overall sounds veiled and blanketed.

Sony WF-1000X: Transparency on par with that of the IconX, but lacking subbass. Great quality highs. Mid may sound forward to some.

B&O E8: The worst among all. Sounds thin and lifeless. Lacking bass and body.

PSB M4U TW1: This thing doesn't even work. It blasts at the loudest volume and is not adjustable via either the earphones or the WM1Z.

Best, secure fit: Samsung IconX 2018, Sony WF-1000X
(Notice that I find the best fit using all the silicon tips in my inventory. I do not use foam tips.)
They stay firmly in my ears no matter how hard I shake my head.

Stays, but not as secure: Erato Apollo 7S
Not gonna fall out in daily use, but when it is slightly not all the way in, bass leakage may be a problem.

Bragi Dash Pro & B&O E8: They fall out even when I move my Jaw.

PSB M4U TW1: I try to like the earhook, but I just cannot get a secure insertion.

Obviously your experience so can’t be argued, but what you describe about the E8 is so far from my experience that either all the others must be absolutely stellar out of this world or your experience is totally useless (at least for me).

May 30, 2018 at 10:57 AM Post #614 of 62,203
Obviously your experience so can’t be argued, but what you describe about the E8 is so far from my experience that either all the others must be absolutely stellar out of this world or your experience is totally useless (at least for me).

See this is where this hobby confuses me. Suppose you like your E8, why would you prefer your Z1R over an ATH at this price point? Suppose you like your JH13, why would you prefer E8 over the Bragi Dash Pro? Suppose you like the Z1R, why would you prefer JH13 over a Xelento? Things just don't add up. :/

May 30, 2018 at 11:13 AM Post #615 of 62,203
See this is where this hobby confuses me. Suppose you like your E8, why would you prefer your Z1R over an ATH at this price point? Suppose you like your JH13, why would you prefer E8 over the Bragi Dash Pro? Suppose you like the Z1R, why would you prefer JH13 over a Xelento? Things just don't add up. :/

Well I don’t technically know if I would prefer the E8 to any of the others as I have not tried any of them. The E8 is good enough for my on the go use that I have no desire to try any others and I certainly dont find the E8, thin, lifeless or lacking bass, perhaps you simply don’t have a good fit and isolation which your statement about them falling out when you move the jaw also indicated.

The Z1R just hit me and I fell in love with the sound, it is a sound for just immersing me in the music and enjoying it rather than analysing music (I sold a HE-6) though some times it has a little too much bass for me. I also absolutely love the look and feel of them which to me also is an important parameter.

The JH13 I’ve had for over 8 years and in that time my preference has slowly moved a bit away from the neutral reference sound but I still love them and they have plenty bass when it is in the music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back