Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jun 19, 2019 at 6:45 PM Post #7,666 of 62,488
AAC, no AptX. To be fair, I don't reckon headphones or earphones with that codec are automatically better than ones without. It certainly is more than a label than it is a qualification for sound quality.

One interesting thing about these codecs is that when the manufacturer implements it in their product, they can choose from many parameters that ultimately affect the quality of the end result (such as bitrate). So sure, product X may use aptX or AAC, but at a really low bandwidth.

It’s like me telling you a ring has a diamond in it. There’s a huge range of diamond qualities, from perfect/flawless all the way to industrial grade that looks like a piece of dirty rock salt.

So I’m with you, in that just because the codec is used it doesn’t guarantee awesomeness.

Some products are very transparent about the actual implementation specs, such as the ES100. And that’s why people say it sounds so good. But a lot of these products are a black box other than the chip and codec used.

Jun 19, 2019 at 7:42 PM Post #7,668 of 62,488
The JBL Tune 120 TWS is now available. Below is a link to JBL's website where it can be purchased. Haven't found a lot of reviews or pics in ears yet. One review is available, but the kid is tiny so they look very large, similar to the Bose in size. Hopefully more pics soon.

https://www.jbl.com/wireless-headphones/JBL+TUNE120TWS.html?cgid=wireless-headphones&dwvar_JBL TUNE120TWS_color=Black-USA-Current#start=1

Dang too big. I have small ears as well. They look as big as those Bose. Battery is the reason for the size. Price I guess is OK compared to Senns, Klipsch, etc. 4.2 is also OK cause it's basically 5.0. I bet they do sound good though. That lady who reviewed them always does good reviews and goes into great detail. She's a musician.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2019 at 8:05 PM Post #7,669 of 62,488
Why not buying the best IEM you possibly can, and then buy a Bluetooth 4.2 or 5.0 cable with APTx-HD?

I think you have way more options than trying to find a pair if IEM's that you like that include BT.

Jun 19, 2019 at 9:22 PM Post #7,671 of 62,488
Why not buying the best IEM you possibly can, and then buy a Bluetooth 4.2 or 5.0 cable with APTx-HD?

I think you have way more options than trying to find a pair if IEM's that you like that include BT.

because once you had them, even the slightest cable running on your cheeks and neck would feel annoying :k701smile:
true, you'll have more options with neckbands or bt dongles like the ES100 like the ability to connect to two devices simultaneously, that's why i still keep them around. but there's also the TRN BT20 and Fostex TM2 now if you want to use your existing iems and have the true wireless feel

Jun 19, 2019 at 9:30 PM Post #7,672 of 62,488
Dang too big. I have small ears as well. They look as big as those Bose. Battery is the reason for the size. Price I guess is OK compared to Senns, Klipsch, etc. 4.2 is also OK cause it's basically 5.0. I bet they do sound good though. That lady who reviewed them always does good reviews and goes into great detail. She's a musician.

it's rated for 4 hours, that is quite low when considering the size and the drivers they use,especially because others like Mifo can get 7 hours and really much smaller

Jun 19, 2019 at 9:36 PM Post #7,673 of 62,488
it's rated for 4 hours, that is quite low when considering the size and the drivers they use,especially because others like Mifo can get 7 hours and really much smaller
Dang only 4 hrs. They will be 30 bucks by Christmas. :)

Jun 19, 2019 at 10:52 PM Post #7,674 of 62,488
Cause the whole point of pure wireless is to have no stinkin' wires?
I'm sorry, what's the problem about using these:
HTB1UlebjFooBKNjSZPhq6A2CXXaU.jpg

What harm can that cable do?
That's my daily BT cable (actually, that battery thingy hanging there, rests in the neck, it's not floating as in the image), I use it everywhere, except for sport, hell, I even sleep with that cable. Does not annoy me in any way, it's fantastic. The only problem with cables is when you have a long cable going to your pocket, then the cable can get stuck in the middle way, with your jacket, your smartphone or music device is "slave" of a cable, can't move your head freely... but with that cable of the picture, tell me exactly what's the worse thing can happen? What can you do with a "pure" wireless that you can't with this one?

I was not only talking about the cables, but also about IEM's. If you want a "pure" wireless headphone, your market reduces to nothing. If you use a cable like in the picture, you will enjoy all the wireless advantages plus your market is GIGANTIC since any IEM of the market will work, you just simply need to buy a compatible BT cable. Also, in your portable case or box you can carry a real cable, so if in the middle of the trip/commuting, the battery dies, you swap the cable in 20 seconds and you're ready to go. That's one big, huge advantage over the "true" wireless IEM's that simply destroys them, in my opinion. Listening to music and suddenly get cut is very, very frustrating, and that will surely happen to you plenty of times if you use those wireless ear pills.

Jun 19, 2019 at 10:59 PM Post #7,675 of 62,488

That's my daily BT cable (actually, that battery thingy hanging there, rests in the neck, it's not floating as in the image), I use it everywhere, except for sport, hell, I even sleep with that cable. Does not annoy me in any way, it's fantastic. The only problem with cables is when you have a long cable going to your pocket, then the cable can get stuck in the middle way, with your jacket, your smartphone or music device is "slave" of a cable, can't move your head freely... but with that cable of the picture, tell me exactly what's the worse thing can happen? What can you do with a "pure" wireless that you can't with this one?

I was not only talking about the cables, but also about IEM's. If you want a "pure" wireless headphone, your market reduces to nothing. If you use a cable like in the picture, you will enjoy all the wireless advantages plus your market is GIGANTIC since any IEM of the market will work, you just simply need to buy a compatible BT cable. Also, in your portable case or box you can carry a real cable, so if in the middle of the trip/commuting, the battery dies, you swap the cable in 20 seconds and you're ready to go. That's one big, huge advantage over the "true" wireless IEM's that simply destroys them, in my opinion. Listening to music and suddenly get cut is very, very frustrating, and that will surely happen to you plenty of times if you use those wireless ear pills.

It's not that there is anything inherently wrong with that, it's a preference thing. I never liked that cable, as is the case with many others on here.

Even read the thread title: "Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?"

If your preference is different, that's fine, but others have their preference.

Jun 20, 2019 at 1:02 AM Post #7,677 of 62,488

The “problem” at least for me is that once you have tried no cable there is no going back (I’m purely talking for out and about on the move, not for stationary home listening). The cable will at some point get caught on something and then pull the iem out. And the true wireless market is huge, not “reduced to nothing” and will just get bigger (and no doubt better) over time. Also the case you carry is much smaller and fits in a pocket where you case with 2 cables needs to go in a bag (I usually dont carry a bag). And I very rarely need to use them longer than the 3, 4, 5 or more hours that the battery last depending on the model.

Jun 20, 2019 at 1:41 AM Post #7,678 of 62,488

here's a scenario:
putting that on, use a balaclava over it, and then putting on a helmet. midway through your ride you want to turn your head sideways, and finding that cable snagging the skin behind your neck.

no problem with that using a TWS :)

scenario 2:
i can watch youtube with my son, each of us using one of the TWS, and we both can still sit half a meter apart.

then i can ask him to fetch me a glass of water, and he can do it while still listening to the youtube video

Does not annoy me in any way, it's fantastic.

good for you. the thing is, level of annoyance varies from people to people.

If you use a cable like in the picture, you will enjoy all the wireless advantages plus your market is GIGANTIC since any IEM of the market will work, you just simply need to buy a compatible BT cable.

you do realize there are true wireless solutions for that, don't you?

20190602173625.jpg

20190506_143209-01.jpeg

Jun 20, 2019 at 3:20 AM Post #7,679 of 62,488
the thing is, level of annoyance varies from people to people.

This comment is very annoying

Lol j/k

you do realize there are true wireless solutions for that, don't you?

That Fostex looks even better than the other photos I saw. In that side view I get a better idea of how thin it is. So tempting!

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2019 at 3:33 AM Post #7,680 of 62,488
Are there any sets that can be worn one at a time and in either ear? Sound quality doesn't need to be amazing, I work in an office and mainly stream online radio

Users who are viewing this thread

Back