Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jun 16, 2019 at 6:24 AM Post #7,546 of 62,422
Guys, what should I choose over Anbes 359 and Syllable S101? Both seem to be really good.

I honestly don't dig the shape of Syllable too much.
I have both and whilst I have a good S101, there is some concern that I'm lucky, so unless you really need double the battery life I'd go for the Anbes 359.

Jun 16, 2019 at 8:15 AM Post #7,548 of 62,422
Guys, what should I choose over Anbes 359 and Syllable S101? Both seem to be really good.

I honestly don't dig the shape of Syllable too much.

I haven't tried the S101, but the Anbes are easy to recommend.

Jun 16, 2019 at 8:20 AM Post #7,549 of 62,422
Hey guys, what are your favourite ear tips? I have the Anbes 359 and wanting to know which I should get as I am not getting the best seal out of the stock tips nor the sony hybrids. I'm thinking either Spiraldots or Spinfits? Thanks!

That's probably a really personal question as what fits me well will likely not fit you well. That said, I've just tried the spinfits and they're pretty good. Also had good luck with UE's eartips - found them to be very thin, flexible, and well forming to the ears

Jun 16, 2019 at 9:26 AM Post #7,550 of 62,422
I have both and whilst I have a good S101, there is some concern that I'm lucky, so unless you really need double the battery life I'd go for the Anbes 359.
I'd also add that the S101 with stock tips don't sound as good as the Anbes. I only prefer the S101 with Spinfit CP240 double flange, something I omitted earlier to note, for which I apologise.

Also, whilst both Anbes and S101 are nice, having just reacquainted myself with my Ety ER4XR and Earstudio ES100... they are both far below that combination in sound but significantly more convenient.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2019 at 1:27 PM Post #7,551 of 62,422
So finally getting around to posting my thoughts on the Anbes 359 and mifo O5 Pro's.

Sound quality:
The Anbes are definitely more bassy than the mifo's, but still retain a fair bit of detail. I did notice though that if there are imperfections in the recording (hissing, crackling, etc), the Anbes bring those imperfections out while the mifo's will hide them. Interestingly my UE SuperFi's (Knowles BA's) also hide imperfections despise that BA's are much more capable of reproducing details in higher frequencies.
Overall the sound for both was very nice and even the mifo's had a fair bit of base, but didn't have the thump of the Anbes.
I did find the Anbes sometimes muddied up when there was a lot of instruments, but otherwise had good separation though very small soundstage.
The mifo had better separation and wider soundstage and was noticeable clearer.
Most of this shouldn't be a surprise given the mifo is a BA vs. Anbes' dynamic.
I preferred Anbes for rock, pop, while jazz sounded better on the mifo.

Call quality:
Both had a delay of about 1 second, but the Anbes sounded better for both parties. I haven't used either in a noisy environment, but I imagine both will be fairly useless for that.

Design:
I found the Anbes fit more comfortable, but the button wasn't as easy to press. The mifo buttons are very small (and locations are flipped for left and right ears), but because the mifo's rest on the inside of the ear, pressing the buttons doesn't affect the fit. The mifo's were also easier to throw into the ears and you didn't have to search for a good fit. But they also didn't sit as deep into the ear canal, which IMO reduced the fit quality, sound blocking, and sound quality.
Which reminds me, the Anbes has better noise isolation. I would say the Anbes are the more comfortable to wear for long periods.
The mifo's have dedicated function and +/- buttons, but for some reason they're flipped from right to left ear, so you always hit the wrong button. Nothing you can't get used to, but very strange..
Visually I do find the mifo's more appealing, and the case is much nicer too.

Connection:
This is where the Anbes clearly win out. They hold the connection better at the same distances and only at about 5m start to have connectivity issues. The mifo's however have connection issues on a regular basis. This is so bad that they're unusable for enjoying music for me. Interestingly, while for both of these I was able to block signal by putting my hands over my ears, I wasn't able to do this for TRN BT20 - these have a far better connection than either Anbes or mifo's.

Battery / charging:
The battery on both earphones is more than enough for me, but although I did have a lower battery (around 30%) on the Anbes, I couldn't get the mifo battery to die at all. I think 7 hours for the mifo is totally reasonable. Probably 3-4 hours for Anbes.
I do wish that the O5's came with USB-C charging, the huge battery in the case makes this a rather small issue. Though it does mean that the case is larger and heavier than I would like. I think around 750mAh for the case battery would be more than enough.

Other:
The mifo's produce a high pitched buzzing when the earbuds are charging inside the case. Not a big deal for most, but if you charge them in a quiet environment, you will hear it.
Also, mifo comes with really nice eartips.

Conclusion:
For me, the Anbes are clear winners. The mifo's clearly show benefits of BA's, and I'm interested in picking up a good quality BA TWS, but they have too many downsides, even without considering the triple pricetag if the Anbes.

Let me know if you guys have any questions on this.

PS: this testing was done on Samsung Galaxy S8, with A-B testing being done with both earphones connected at the same time.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2019 at 4:08 PM Post #7,552 of 62,422
Good review thanks VS. First time I see that the Anbes does not have a wide soundstage?! The Mifo must have super duper soundstage/separation. Are you gonna purchase another TWS soon or are you all set?

I'll be on the lookout for a TWS with BA(or combo BA/Dynamic or graphene) drivers, perhaps apt-X(Anbes does not have it but still sounds fantastic) and over 7hr battery but under $35-50. I'm in no rush though after you know what...

Jun 16, 2019 at 4:17 PM Post #7,553 of 62,422
Neither soundstage is particularly large. Maybe I'll spoiled by proper HiFi systems. That said, I feel like my UE's do a better job too, but I'll have to look more into it.

Actually battery was one thing I forgot to mention.... Mifo battery just would not die... I think 7 hours for the earbuds alone isn't unreasonable.

Btw - that was my first proper review (Amazon and to like not counting). So please let me how if I should include anything else

Jun 16, 2019 at 4:45 PM Post #7,554 of 62,422
Last edited:
Jun 16, 2019 at 6:40 PM Post #7,555 of 62,422
There's also the Astrotec S60 (Knowles BAs too). I keep eyeing that one but without ability to return I'm a little weary to spend that much on it.

Very curious about those $19 ones.... Never really cared much about the case, but I really highly doubt they'll be any good.... If only they were in Amazon Canada :)

Jun 17, 2019 at 2:35 AM Post #7,556 of 62,422
There's also the Astrotec S60 (Knowles BAs too). I keep eyeing that one but without ability to return I'm a little weary to spend that much on it.

Very curious about those $19 ones.... Never really cared much about the case, but I really highly doubt they'll be any good.... If only they were in Amazon Canada :)
Picked up the Astrotec S80 that just came out, and man, they are fantastic. $89 on their website and Ali, but picked them up for $49 on Amazon. They were $59, but when I added it to my cart, there was a $10 off coupon (it wasn't advertised with a coupon on the listing).

They check off all the boxes, with the exception of USB-C, aptX, and ambient mode (for some), but they absolutely live up to their stats. Earlier posts on here mention the 2nd batch may come with USB-C, which is perhaps why this batch may be discounted on Amazon. But hey, at $49, I'm not complaining.

- Beryllium Driver
- AAC Support
- BT 5.0
- IPX5
- 5+ Hour Battery
- Solid Touch Controls

Definitely feeling these. Very balanced sound, extremely clear, and handles EQ well with no distortion. As far as SQ, they can certainly hang with the big boys.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2019 at 6:17 AM Post #7,557 of 62,422
Just got some answers from Cambridge Audio about the Melomania 1.

There is not and will never be an app.
They do not support fw updates in any form.
There is no ambient mode.
The active noise cancelling they talk about is only for phone calls

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2019 at 11:14 AM Post #7,558 of 62,422

I was about to buy the $19 one and try it out and all of a sudden they were sold out. If anything at least I can return it. I don't like the shape of the other one.

Jun 17, 2019 at 11:17 AM Post #7,559 of 62,422
Picked up the Astrotec S80 that just came out, and man, they are fantastic. $89 on their website and Ali, but picked them up for $49 on Amazon. They were $59, but when I added it to my cart, there was a $10 off coupon (it wasn't advertised with a coupon on the listing).

They check off all the boxes, with the exception of USB-C, aptX, and ambient mode (for some), but they absolutely live up to their stats. Earlier posts on here mention the 2nd batch may come with USB-C, which is perhaps why this batch may be discounted on Amazon. But hey, at $49, I'm not complaining.

- Beryllium Driver
- AAC Support
- BT 5.0
- IPX5
- 5+ Hour Battery
- Solid Touch Controls

Definitely feeling these. Very balanced sound, extremely clear, and handles EQ well with no distortion. As far as SQ, they can certainly hang with the big boys.

How do they compare to the Anbes?

Jun 17, 2019 at 11:20 AM Post #7,560 of 62,422

Users who are viewing this thread

Back