Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Mar 21, 2019 at 2:35 PM Post #5,656 of 62,573
Unless I’m doing something wrong. I’m on latest iOS 12 and using iPhone X. I just open the app and tap on firmware and it says it’s current

Is it possible the firmware is current?

Mar 21, 2019 at 4:19 PM Post #5,659 of 62,573
Thank you. Of course I know all of that but what stress me a little bit more is the direct radiations in the ears (head) for several hours...and almost everyday... Even if the power is less than phones, wify and so on, it’s direct and exposition is for hours. But it’s surely psychologic.

Gotta use this if you want to be safe.
MJoS.gif

Mar 21, 2019 at 4:33 PM Post #5,660 of 62,573
Thank you for all those impressions. I guess I'm still reaaaally fine with my T1C. :)

QCY T1C is absolutely awesome. I used them on my 13 hours flight and it did a magnificent job of blocking outside noise. It blocks noise even better than my ZS7 impressively. Call quality on it is also not bad, but like most TWIEM, it uses an omni directional microphone, so the other end on the phone will hear every noise surrounding you.

Mar 21, 2019 at 4:35 PM Post #5,661 of 62,573
Mar 21, 2019 at 5:58 PM Post #5,663 of 62,573
Pretty negative review of the Samsung Galaxy Buds from What Hifi here: https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/samsung-galaxy-buds

To summarise the review with one quote: “The Galaxy Buds sound more or less equivalent to a pair of cheap in-ears - and not even a particularly good pair”.
Ouch, that is a painful quote from a source still awarding the Bowers and Wilkins P5 Series II wireless for a creeping 200 pounds five stars.

Mar 21, 2019 at 7:03 PM Post #5,664 of 62,573
I saw this thread a few weeks ago while I was weighing up whether to buy Beoplay E8 2.0.

I’ve owned several wireless earbuds now, so here are a few thoughts. Unfortunately I haven’t really compared any side-by-side, so this is from memory.

Wireless earbuds were/are for the gym (including a long walk to/from) and running.

Here are some thoughts. I always use the most recent iPhone and iOS with Extreme Spotify or HQ Apple Music, so the source isn’t a variable.

B&O Beoplay E8 2.0
  • Fit: Good. No problems running. No risk of falling out. But I have to occasionally reposition for optimal fit (more for perceived fit than actual sound/seal).
  • Comfort: Very good. Slightly bulkier and heavier that MTW, but no fatigue after the first day.
  • Isolation: Good (silicone). No wind noise unless ambient sound is turned on.
  • Sound: Better at detail than MTW. Slightly better all round to my ears. Best I’ve heard (but not as good as even my backup wired Sony XBA-H3 from about 5 years ago).
  • Connection: Solid in general. Occasional crackling and distortion that seems to be caused by interference rather than distance. I tried to re-pair but it it didn’t help. If it continues to annoy me I will reconsider because it’s unacceptable for the price.
  • Controls: Good. No phantom button presses. But on one occasion button presses didn’t register at all.
Issues/comments:
  • Case build quality seems more premium (leather) but probably isn’t as durable as a plastic one for scuffs.
  • Wireless charging (also USB-C) is a bigger upgrade than you would think.
  • For better or worse, they must be turned on manually each time, and they seem to turn off automatically after a time if removed and kept at a desk or in your pocket.
  • If the crackling persists I will have to reconsider.
Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless
  • Fit: Very good. No problem running. Didn’t fall out.
  • Comfort: Excellent. Very light, so no fatigue.
  • Isolation: Medium. A little disappointing. I think a few extra millimetres on the stem would be better for me.
  • Sound: Among the best of any true wireless earbud I’ve owned, but not at all impressive either compared to wired. Not remotely close to IE800, but it has been about 5 years since I sold mine.
  • Connection: Generally reliable. Some cutouts to the slave earbud in particular gym locations (minimal distances, approx: 5ft). Single device connection. Awkwardly connected to the wrong device when turned on sometimes.
  • Controls: Easy and not painful when tapped. Occasionally failed to detect taps. Touch controls are not good with a tightened hood (running in the rain). Also see issues.
Issues/comments:
  • Very limited EQ options in app.
  • Transparent hearing never worked.
  • Case build quality was poor. I had a loose hinge and the Sennheiser logo was not straight.
  • After a couple of weeks one earbud kept registering phantom touches that reduced the volume so I returned it. Re-pairing and resetting didn’t help.
  • Ultimately on a par with ACS Encore as the most disappointing headphones I’ve ever owned—I waited months after they were announced and was among the first to pre-order and receive them.
Jabra Elite 65T
  • Fit: Decent but not as good as MTW or E8.
  • Comfort: Decent but not as good as MTW or E8.
  • Isolation: Good. Slightly better than MTW.
  • Sound: Okay. Not very detailed.
  • Connection: Terrible. Slave earbud would cut out anywhere that had many devices, from gyms to train stations. It would cut out all the time and was unusable.
  • Controls: Easy, but button presses were painful to my ears.
Issues/comments:
Terrible connection reliability for slave earbud was terrible so I returned it.

Jabra Elite Pro
  • Fit: Seemed okay in terms of playback but not secure. I almost lost an earbud several times and that’s never happened with the others.
  • Comfort: Poor. Felt heavy substantial because of HR reader. Fatigue significant.
  • Isolation: Good. Slightly better than MTW.
  • Sound: Okay. Not very detailed.
  • Connection: Quite poor. Cut out at busy places.
  • Controls: Easy but buttons were painful to my ears.
Issues/comments:
  • HR did not track reliably.
  • Terrible app and firmware update process.
  • Poor connection reliability.
  • Gave it away when I got an Apple Watch (HR).
PowerBeats3
I got these for free with an Apple purchase.
They didn’t fit my ears so I gave them to a friend who says the reliability and ease of connection is amazing.

Bose SoundSport Wireless
The fins were awkward to me and they lacked isolation, so I returned immediately.
Also too much sound leakage for my taste. I know I would only be at the gym or running outside, but it still annoyed me.

Denon Wireless AH-C160W
  • Fit: Poor. Earhooks were awkwardly shaped.
  • Comfort: Poor. Earhooks did not curve round my ear naturally, so the cable drop was as at a bad angle.
  • Isolation: Ok, but always ruined by fit.
  • Sound: Okay. Not very detailed. But didn’t use much.
  • Connection: The worst. Cut out all the time. Outside while walking or running, and at busy places.
  • Controls: Did not really use.
Issues/comments:
  • Bad fit and terrible connection.
what about phone calls? more precisely your outgoing voice, how's it perceived on the other end?

Mar 21, 2019 at 7:16 PM Post #5,665 of 62,573
My understanding is that aac over iPhone requires no additional encoding making it superior to aac over android. Again I may be mistaken but I believe this is why aac is considered comparable to aptx despite the lower bitrate. Someone more knowledgeable than me can confirm or confirm I’m completely wrong.
If the files being listened on the iPhone is AAC than your're right however once the file is other than AAC than you get the same transscoding as on Android.

Mar 21, 2019 at 7:47 PM Post #5,666 of 62,573
Mar 21, 2019 at 9:43 PM Post #5,667 of 62,573
I am still playing with the senheisser mtw, and they are very good, I tried all different types of tips I have, complys, sony tips, other cheap tips and the best I have used with mtw for my ears are the spin fits. It almost feels like I have full size headphones on my head! Reminds me of my vmoda cross fades codex I had. Very strong bass sig.

Mar 21, 2019 at 9:48 PM Post #5,668 of 62,573
I am still playing with the senheisser mtw, and they are very good, I tried all different types of tips I have, complys, sony tips, other cheap tips and the best I have used with mtw for my ears are the spin fits. It almost feels like I have full size headphones on my head! Reminds me of my vmoda cross fades codex I had. Very strong bass sig.
Maybe I’ll give them a run. What size core? Thanks.

Mar 21, 2019 at 9:53 PM Post #5,669 of 62,573
I got lucky and the stock large tips fit me perfectly. The bass on some songs make my ears tickle. I absolutely love the sound of my Senns regardless of there Shi%%y app.

Mar 21, 2019 at 10:45 PM Post #5,670 of 62,573
So have you tested them for phone calls yet? I already ordered them but experiences are always welcome beforehand, thanks.
I'll let you know tonight/tomm afternoon for sure. Edit My friend said he heard me perfectly. I was in a quiet place and heard him perfectly. I tell you these are my favorite wireless buds(Anbes 359). :beerchug:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back