Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Mar 9, 2019 at 4:37 AM Post #5,416 of 62,436
I saw this thread a few weeks ago while I was weighing up whether to buy Beoplay E8 2.0.

I’ve owned several wireless earbuds now, so here are a few thoughts. Unfortunately I haven’t really compared any side-by-side, so this is from memory.

Wireless earbuds were/are for the gym (including a long walk to/from) and running.

Here are some thoughts. I always use the most recent iPhone and iOS with Extreme Spotify or HQ Apple Music, so the source isn’t a variable.

B&O Beoplay E8 2.0
  • Fit: Good. No problems running. No risk of falling out. But I have to occasionally reposition for optimal fit (more for perceived fit than actual sound/seal).
  • Comfort: Very good. Slightly bulkier and heavier that MTW, but no fatigue after the first day.
  • Isolation: Good (silicone). No wind noise unless ambient sound is turned on.
  • Sound: Better at detail than MTW. Slightly better all round to my ears. Best I’ve heard (but not as good as even my backup wired Sony XBA-H3 from about 5 years ago).
  • Connection: Solid in general. Occasional crackling and distortion that seems to be caused by interference rather than distance. I tried to re-pair but it it didn’t help. If it continues to annoy me I will reconsider because it’s unacceptable for the price.
  • Controls: Good. No phantom button presses. But on one occasion button presses didn’t register at all.
Issues/comments:
  • Case build quality seems more premium (leather) but probably isn’t as durable as a plastic one for scuffs.
  • Wireless charging (also USB-C) is a bigger upgrade than you would think.
  • For better or worse, they must be turned on manually each time, and they seem to turn off automatically after a time if removed and kept at a desk or in your pocket.
  • If the crackling persists I will have to reconsider.
Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless
  • Fit: Very good. No problem running. Didn’t fall out.
  • Comfort: Excellent. Very light, so no fatigue.
  • Isolation: Medium. A little disappointing. I think a few extra millimetres on the stem would be better for me.
  • Sound: Among the best of any true wireless earbud I’ve owned, but not at all impressive either compared to wired. Not remotely close to IE800, but it has been about 5 years since I sold mine.
  • Connection: Generally reliable. Some cutouts to the slave earbud in particular gym locations (minimal distances, approx: 5ft). Single device connection. Awkwardly connected to the wrong device when turned on sometimes.
  • Controls: Easy and not painful when tapped. Occasionally failed to detect taps. Touch controls are not good with a tightened hood (running in the rain). Also see issues.
Issues/comments:
  • Very limited EQ options in app.
  • Transparent hearing never worked.
  • Case build quality was poor. I had a loose hinge and the Sennheiser logo was not straight.
  • After a couple of weeks one earbud kept registering phantom touches that reduced the volume so I returned it. Re-pairing and resetting didn’t help.
  • Ultimately on a par with ACS Encore as the most disappointing headphones I’ve ever owned—I waited months after they were announced and was among the first to pre-order and receive them.
Jabra Elite 65T
  • Fit: Decent but not as good as MTW or E8.
  • Comfort: Decent but not as good as MTW or E8.
  • Isolation: Good. Slightly better than MTW.
  • Sound: Okay. Not very detailed.
  • Connection: Terrible. Slave earbud would cut out anywhere that had many devices, from gyms to train stations. It would cut out all the time and was unusable.
  • Controls: Easy, but button presses were painful to my ears.
Issues/comments:
Terrible connection reliability for slave earbud was terrible so I returned it.

Jabra Elite Pro
  • Fit: Seemed okay in terms of playback but not secure. I almost lost an earbud several times and that’s never happened with the others.
  • Comfort: Poor. Felt heavy substantial because of HR reader. Fatigue significant.
  • Isolation: Good. Slightly better than MTW.
  • Sound: Okay. Not very detailed.
  • Connection: Quite poor. Cut out at busy places.
  • Controls: Easy but buttons were painful to my ears.
Issues/comments:
  • HR did not track reliably.
  • Terrible app and firmware update process.
  • Poor connection reliability.
  • Gave it away when I got an Apple Watch (HR).
PowerBeats3
I got these for free with an Apple purchase.
They didn’t fit my ears so I gave them to a friend who says the reliability and ease of connection is amazing.

Bose SoundSport Wireless
The fins were awkward to me and they lacked isolation, so I returned immediately.
Also too much sound leakage for my taste. I know I would only be at the gym or running outside, but it still annoyed me.

Denon Wireless AH-C160W
  • Fit: Poor. Earhooks were awkwardly shaped.
  • Comfort: Poor. Earhooks did not curve round my ear naturally, so the cable drop was as at a bad angle.
  • Isolation: Ok, but always ruined by fit.
  • Sound: Okay. Not very detailed. But didn’t use much.
  • Connection: The worst. Cut out all the time. Outside while walking or running, and at busy places.
  • Controls: Did not really use.
Issues/comments:
  • Bad fit and terrible connection.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2019 at 5:08 AM Post #5,417 of 62,436
I find the mavin has better sound and volume than the jabra, but jabra is the better complete package. Did check and I had the qcy t1, pure trash tws. Constant cut outs, got the money back and threw them in the trash.
Think you had the older T1, which was indeed crap. T1c / QS1 is where it's at.

Mar 9, 2019 at 6:13 AM Post #5,418 of 62,436
A3728286-9EED-4F07-B9CB-16438B46CD92.jpeg

Seven truly wireless earphones under 40 dollar. It's comparison time.

Mar 9, 2019 at 1:10 PM Post #5,420 of 62,436
Does anyone have the new Samsung Galaxy buds and possibly the jabra elite 65t active? I'm contemplating returning the jabra and get the Samsung.
My Jabra issues are left is noticeably louder than right and a slight fit issue but mainly the balance issue.

Mar 9, 2019 at 10:25 PM Post #5,429 of 62,436
Need opinions on which to get, Earin M2 or Sennheiser? There is a 90 dollar difference from where I am 300 for the M2 and 390 for the Sennies.

I have not tried the Senn nor the MW07 but I sure like the M2. Just wish the battery lasted a bit longer than 3 hours 10-20 minutes

Mar 10, 2019 at 12:05 AM Post #5,430 of 62,436
I have not tried the Senn nor the MW07 but I sure like the M2. Just wish the battery lasted a bit longer than 3 hours 10-20 minutes

true that

Users who are viewing this thread

Back