Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Nov 10, 2022 at 6:39 AM Post #48,676 of 62,297
Pull the trigger and got it, very good first impression, it makes my Beoplay E8 3.0 sound like low quality crap. Very smoooooooth sound and good soundstage. However the touch control on left one doesn't work (or maybe the sensor doesn't work), I can't change the volume and it sounds tiny although I max volume on my phone. Will try to charge to 100% and do it again.

EDIT: It works now, the sensor on the left is hit and miss. I will disable the sensor instead.
This is the best TWS I ever tried (SMTW2, MW07, Beoplay E8, PI7)...
PXL_20221110_101407263.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2022 at 6:40 AM Post #48,677 of 62,297
I've tried my Creative BT-W4 adapter with the TWX9's a few times now. I had not really expected to notice much difference between the regular apt-x of my Samsung phone and apt-x adaptive from the Creative, but there is a noticeable improvement. Sounds more polished, a bit more lush. The bt-w4 is a great solution for phones that don't do apt-x adaptive or computers that don't do bluetooth well.
Dame here. I use my Noble Fokus for music wirh my iPhone. I use the bt-w4 when listening to music, and AAC for podcasts, etc. The bt-w4 eats a lot of battery in comparison, but certainly worth it

Nov 10, 2022 at 6:43 AM Post #48,678 of 62,297
For those of you who have the G-Buds Pro and the G-Buds2 Pro is there a "justifiable" reason to upgrade? I have the Buds Pro and like them, my only issue with them is they have got to be the most finicky pair to get a great seal and sound and if the Buds2 pro fit better that would be awesome. I think the stem is to small for my gigantic ear hole to get a proper fit.

On another note, still loving the Bose QCII. I will be listing a few buds that are collecting dust for sometime if anyone is interested.
Ordered galaxy buds pro dual flange tips from Amazon. Came in 3 sizes. I get a great seal bow and can workout with buds pro. Comfortable and better sound quality than before

Nov 10, 2022 at 10:04 AM Post #48,679 of 62,297
On the one hand it is amazing that we can have tiny wireless noisemakers in our ears and when they work, it is amazing!

But I agree that it is puzzling how it is still 'finicky' (my wife is still somewhat 'scared' of everything BT because of that) ... and even the latest greatest new Bose buds, I can't believe how often I have to put them back in the case / take out to get a proper connection ... might be multipoint related ...
Definitely agree. Knowing what to mute and what to not mute has made my multipoint usage infinitely better. Handsfree always takes precedence, and sound from a secondary source will cut in and cause disruption.

@J_3000 seems like 5.5.8 is live for the EX. It keeps the ANC setting set.

Nov 10, 2022 at 10:35 AM Post #48,680 of 62,297
Hi yall,

I am looking for advices on which TWS should I choose.

I have been browsing different websites and threads in head-fi, now I have 3 top picks but they do not have demo units to try at where I live so I hope people who know more about headphones(all of you) or have tried/bought them to share some opinions/advices to help me make my decision. And I checked I did not find any threads to compare these 3 (if there is please tell me I can delete this thread).

1.Beyerdynamic free byrd
2.Ath-twx9
3.JVC fw1000t

I will need to use the TWS on my iphone and PC, so I checked all 3 of them support AAC/aptx. Sadly windows 10 doesnt support aptx-adaptive if I am correct. Or can I buy an usb Bluetooth adapter to make that happen?

I am open to recommendations on other TWS but my budget is around 300 usd.

My reasons of choosing these 3 are:

They all are released in 2021/2022, so kind of new. They all support Bluetooth 5.2
And I do hope I get the best sound quality out of my TWS in this price range. These 3 are I find most recommended when talking about sound quality of TWS. And on other factors such as battery life/lvl of comfort/connection they seems all are fine (from what I read).

So If I rank my priorities they are:

1.sound quality
2.Codec (support windows 10/iphone)
3.comfortable to wear and not bad battery life (having to charge very often is a bit annoying to me)

PS: I know level of comfort can be subjective so if it provides many sizes of ear foam/tips, or is not designed with weird angles/shapes would be great.

Oh and I do not need to use the TWS while doing exercises, so waterproofness is not important. I might use it when commuting but noise cancelling is not very important either. And I know a wired IEM can provide much better sound quality but I need a TWS now for my reasons and I may get a better wired one in the future. I will pass on any Bose tws (coz noise cancelling dont matter to me) and Air pods (they are convenience to use but I already had many generations of them).

Thank you for reading such a long intro, I tried my best to state my needs and backgrounds, please feel free to share your thoughts!

Nov 10, 2022 at 11:15 AM Post #48,681 of 62,297
I wish I heard what you hear in the Gemini, because... to me they just don't sound good unless it's with like... instrumental electronic music, and I also get like friction wounds or whatever you want to call them, if I wear them for more than 1-2 days in a row.
Like with an EQ they sound passable but it's still probably the worst TWS purchase I've made. Not the worst TWS's i've heard, but still the worst value for money purchase I've made. If they were $150 I'd be fine with it though
Yeah, different ears, different tastes. But nevertheless I am foolishly going to attempt to put forth an evidence-backed argument for the Gemini. This song is has a "soft rock" feel, like The Carpenters or Joni Mitchell, but it's underlaid by a constant base of strings/synth that swells and builds to multiple flourishes, Harp, etc. On the TWX9, it's like there is too much emphasis in dynamics which results in some harsh shifts, but the Gemini tames the mood while delivering it full and lush, and delivers detail on the flourishes. These is clearly differently tuned DSPs.

Now, you may just hate the song, and I guess that could indirectly explain your dislike for the Gemini :relaxed:.

Nov 10, 2022 at 11:25 AM Post #48,682 of 62,297
I wish I heard what you hear in the Gemini, because... to me they just don't sound good unless it's with like... instrumental electronic music, and I also get like friction wounds or whatever you want to call them, if I wear them for more than 1-2 days in a row.
Like with an EQ they sound passable but it's still probably the worst TWS purchase I've made. Not the worst TWS's i've heard, but still the worst value for money purchase I've made. If they were $150 I'd be fine with it though
Yeah, different ears, different tastes. But nevertheless I am foolishly going to attempt to put forth an evidence-backed argument for the Gemini. This song is has a "soft rock" feel, like The Carpenters or Joni Mitchell, but it's underlaid by a constant base of strings/synth that swells and builds to multiple flourishes, Harp, etc. On the TWX9, it's like there is too much emphasis in dynamics which results in some harsh shifts, but the Gemini tames the mood while delivering it full and lush, and delivers detail on the flourishes. These is clearly differently tuned DSPs.

Now, you may just hate the song, and I guess that could indirectly explain your dislike for the Gemini :relaxed:.

See, I'm on the opposite side of the music spectrum. Listening to hard rock and metal mostly. I've got the Gemini EQ on Dynamic with a little tweaking. Perfect balance for my ears. No fit issues using the large Devialet tips. No rubbing. No pain all gain. In fact, they're so light, some days I can't feel them in my ears.

I'm loving the below new album. I won't call out a particular song, but whew. Chills using the Gemini. Crank it up!!!

Nov 10, 2022 at 11:41 AM Post #48,683 of 62,297
See, I'm on the opposite side of the music spectrum. Listening to hard rock and metal mostly. I've got the Gemini EQ on Dynamic with a little tweaking. Perfect balance for my ears. No fit issues using the large Devialet tips. No rubbing. No pain all gain. In fact, they're so light, some days I can't feel them in my ears.

I'm loving the below new album. I won't call out a particular song, but whew. Chills using the Gemini. Crank it up!!!

Yup, just A/B'd. That's another win for the Gemini. Needs to go big!

Nov 10, 2022 at 11:44 AM Post #48,684 of 62,297
On the one hand it is amazing that we can have tiny wireless noisemakers in our ears and when they work, it is amazing!

But I agree that it is puzzling how it is still 'finicky' (my wife is still somewhat 'scared' of everything BT because of that) ... and even the latest greatest new Bose buds, I can't believe how often I have to put them back in the case / take out to get a proper connection ... might be multipoint related ...
Actually, it isn’t Bluetooth as a whole, but two protocols within Bluetooth that were done 20 years ago and have now been replaced by the LE-Audio architecture which is much cleaner, more power efficient and was designed with TWS use cases from the beginning.

It remains amazing to me that multipoint, which is actually dual-point, ever works on a TWS at all given the “stuff” it needs to do…

Nov 10, 2022 at 12:11 PM Post #48,685 of 62,297
Actually, it isn’t Bluetooth as a whole, but two protocols within Bluetooth that were done 20 years ago and have now been replaced by the LE-Audio architecture which is much cleaner, more power efficient and was designed with TWS use cases from the beginning.

It remains amazing to me that multipoint, which is actually dual-point, ever works on a TWS at all given the “stuff” it needs to do…
Unfortunately, no one knows when LE-Audio products are scheduled for release :frowning2:

Nov 10, 2022 at 1:38 PM Post #48,688 of 62,297
So I got my EX replaced because of channel imbalance. Hard to day hoe much it was, but it was noticable. First time experiencing this, but it was like all the music is little to the left. Im not sure when the problem started, but it wasn't there in the beginning.

I was listening to my new pair yesterday, when suddenly all volume dropped something like 30%. Putting volume to max (OnePlus 10 Pro) was clearly lower than before. Today I deleted the bt paring from my phone and did a hard reset to the EX, which fixed the problem.

Weird.

I have also had some random connection problems with the new unit, but not sure is it more than with my original unit.
It might be due to your device rather than the earbuds itself. Sometimes our phone just suck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back