Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jan 18, 2019 at 6:32 PM Post #4,351 of 62,188
Anyone who considers the Airpods to be the standard-bearers of true wireless is either a) woefully ignorant, or b) shilling for Apple. Either way they have no business reviewing headphones. It's even worse than the people who clickbait by going "are these Sennheiser HD820s better than Beats??"

‘Anyone’ I <3 ur broad stroke. Let me have a try at that biased logic.

Any1 here who considers Airpods to not be the standard-bearers of the true wireless is a) ignorant of the fact of the history of TWE, as in before Airpods, how many of these TWE were popular, being sold to the masses? Answer: not many compared to when the Airpods went on sale, hella lot…runaway smash hit I’d say…regardless of how mediocre the SQ is, which in some circles could be considered to make it that ‘standard-bearer’ by sales #s alone, kinda like ya all hate Mac OSX, and love Winblows…because M$ OS has 85% of the market(funny how some anti-Apple types love to say how Apple’s OS is <5%, …sure if you go back a decade or 2, now it’s 12+%).

b) typical Apple h8trs J legions on this site & others…easy to find.

I would never buy Airpods, bc I can’t handle the form factor in my ears, just horrible to have hard plastic pressing against the soft skin in my ears.

http://fortune.com/2018/12/03/analy...the-roof-over-the-next-few-years-report-says/

“of all the Apple products, sales of the wireless earbuds are growing at the fastest rate. Last year, Apple sold 14 to 16 million pairs of AirPods, Kuo said, but that number will reach 50 to 55 million next year and jump to 100 to 110 million by 2021, the news source reports.

Kuo also predicts that Apple will release a new version of the product in 2019, adding a wireless charging function that will boost sales.

“We believe that there is a greater likelihood of legacy iPhone users buying AirPods than upgrading to new iPhone models,” Kuo said

So how many Beats or Senn TWE will be sold this year, for comparison?

I’ll wait, please post up comparable sales # for any other TWE…I won’t hold my breath, since that won’t happen in my lifetime. Ergo, by other opinions that do not align with yours, Airpods could be considered ‘standard-bearer’ along with the fact you don’t seem to consider the W1 of any particular importance, it must be bc of your ignorance, as well I expect with the updated model using ‘W2’ version of the chip.

You want to ask Colin if Senn HD820 are better than Beats? Maybe ur just not culturally up-to-date/urban hip /snark

BzOS2z_CYAEDh-h.jpg

I am hopeful of future R&D Apple applies to their Airpods, health sensors, possibly (dreaming, drinking the RDF Koolaid) working on synergy with the next A13 SoC in the 2019 iP, that AI-ML neural processors, stuff.

Just think if Apple’s multi-bil cash reserves were spent on R&D they are hinting at being the future, perhaps they hire a team of audio engineers to implement fully automated in-ear calibration based on measuring of how the sound is bouncing around in your ear canal…fully personalized, total control over the sound(-signature). Also AI tailored fully configurable ANC, besting all competitors

Will be great is if the Qualcomm Apple litigation makes Apple come out with vastly superior SOC vs Qualcomm’s stuck with having to design for the multitude of clients they have.

Wouldn’t it be a killer app, if you could just tap on your ip11 and get exact duplication of the frequency graphs of any headphone on the market…game changer, disruptive tech…hah. … or course knowing Apple they will keep the absurdly awful orig Airpods form factor, so I’ll never buy them.

Just have to wait for the IP copycats/trademark infringers in China to make their ‘clones’ that will be better & cheaper, and more comfortable, lol. Apple seriously needs to license the W1 & later W2 chips for all others to use…put a nice knife in Qualcomm’s back!

Jan 18, 2019 at 6:42 PM Post #4,352 of 62,188
‘Anyone’ I <3 ur broad stroke. Let me have a try at that biased logic.

Any1 here who considers Airpods to not be the standard-bearers of the true wireless is a) ignorant of the fact of the history of TWE, as in before Airpods, how many of these TWE were popular, being sold to the masses? Answer: not many compared to when the Airpods went on sale, hella lot…runaway smash hit I’d say…regardless of how mediocre the SQ is, which in some circles could be considered to make it that ‘standard-bearer’ by sales #s alone, kinda like ya all hate Mac OSX, and love Winblows…because M$ OS has 85% of the market(funny how some anti-Apple types love to say how Apple’s OS is <5%, …sure if you go back a decade or 2, now it’s 12+%).

b) typical Apple h8trs J legions on this site & others…easy to find.

I would never buy Airpods, bc I can’t handle the form factor in my ears, just horrible to have hard plastic pressing against the soft skin in my ears.

http://fortune.com/2018/12/03/analy...the-roof-over-the-next-few-years-report-says/

“of all the Apple products, sales of the wireless earbuds are growing at the fastest rate. Last year, Apple sold 14 to 16 million pairs of AirPods, Kuo said, but that number will reach 50 to 55 million next year and jump to 100 to 110 million by 2021, the news source reports.

Kuo also predicts that Apple will release a new version of the product in 2019, adding a wireless charging function that will boost sales.

“We believe that there is a greater likelihood of legacy iPhone users buying AirPods than upgrading to new iPhone models,” Kuo said

So how many Beats or Senn TWE will be sold this year, for comparison?

I’ll wait, please post up comparable sales # for any other TWE…I won’t hold my breath, since that won’t happen in my lifetime. Ergo, by other opinions that do not align with yours, Airpods could be considered ‘standard-bearer’ along with the fact you don’t seem to consider the W1 of any particular importance, it must be bc of your ignorance, as well I expect with the updated model using ‘W2’ version of the chip.

You want to ask Colin if Senn HD820 are better than Beats? Maybe ur just not culturally up-to-date/urban hip /snark

BzOS2z_CYAEDh-h.jpg

I am hopeful of future R&D Apple applies to their Airpods, health sensors, possibly (dreaming, drinking the RDF Koolaid) working on synergy with the next A13 SoC in the 2019 iP, that AI-ML neural processors, stuff.

Just think if Apple’s multi-bil cash reserves were spent on R&D they are hinting at being the future, perhaps they hire a team of audio engineers to implement fully automated in-ear calibration based on measuring of how the sound is bouncing around in your ear canal…fully personalized, total control over the sound(-signature). Also AI tailored fully configurable ANC, besting all competitors

Will be great is if the Qualcomm Apple litigation makes Apple come out with vastly superior SOC vs Qualcomm’s stuck with having to design for the multitude of clients they have.

Wouldn’t it be a killer app, if you could just tap on your ip11 and get exact duplication of the frequency graphs of any headphone on the market…game changer, disruptive tech…hah. … or course knowing Apple they will keep the absurdly awful orig Airpods form factor, so I’ll never buy them.

Just have to wait for the IP copycats/trademark infringers in China to make their ‘clones’ that will be better & cheaper, and more comfortable, lol. Apple seriously needs to license the W1 & later W2 chips for all others to use…put a nice knife in Qualcomm’s back!

Valid points, but a rapid escalation and something I think we should all just let defuse. Perhaps you and I have different impressions from reading this whole thread, but I tend to take @SomeGuyDude 's comments as having a tint of sarcasm/vehemence for the sake of being a bit funny, either intentionally or unintentionally. (But I'm also from where he lives, so it may be a sense of humor thing).

In any case, 'anyone' was a broad stroke regardless of whether meant literally (and in any case, would be his opinion).

Your points regarding airpods are valid, and challenges for sales #'s are an echo of a type of argument I see on message boards often - and nobody really wins, but we see what you're getting at. We happen to be a population that likely selects for people who are not satisfied with airpods or that dislike for any number of reasons - but they're not a bad (and definitely not an unsuccessful) product.

So, what are your favorite TWEs @MulberryMadness ? :)

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2019 at 6:56 PM Post #4,353 of 62,188
Last edited:
Jan 18, 2019 at 7:07 PM Post #4,354 of 62,188
MTW reviewed on RTings : https://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/sennheiser/momentum-true-wireless - they're not too impressed but to bang on about the great range, I don't see that as a huge plus personally...

They also review the XFYRO xS2 which I can't say I'd paid much attention to : https://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/xfyro/xs2 - they liked them even less.

Would be interesting to see the results of the MW07 in their lab.
Interesting that rtings has the Bose as the best sounding true wireless with a whopping 7.7 for critical listening. I do think the Bose sound excellent so long as there is no outside noise. Too bad they crap out regularly from sweat.

Jan 18, 2019 at 7:35 PM Post #4,355 of 62,188
he also has no issues with drop outs which happens consistently with the 65t when he stands towards the end of one of the subway cars.

speaking of this, i also have experienced this with the 65t. it seems it is susceptible to certain interference. i always use the 65t for motorcycle riding, and i noticed that it always crackles a bit on the left ears when I'm passing the same spot/area on the way home.

and worst was yesterday when i went to a local pet shop in my area, the left earpiece just went crazy and crackles all the time. i also noticed that my phone has a bad signal in that store..i don't know if it has relation or not, but it happens to be.

Jan 18, 2019 at 8:22 PM Post #4,357 of 62,188
speaking of this, i also have experienced this with the 65t. it seems it is susceptible to certain interference. i always use the 65t for motorcycle riding, and i noticed that it always crackles a bit on the left ears when I'm passing the same spot/area on the way home.

and worst was yesterday when i went to a local pet shop in my area, the left earpiece just went crazy and crackles all the time. i also noticed that my phone has a bad signal in that store..i don't know if it has relation or not, but it happens to be.

I have the Jabra Elite Sport it’s the older model with Bluetooth 4.2 and I have none of these issue despite living in a super busy downtown. Battery life is about 5.5-6 hrs before they need to be charged in the case.
I wouldn’t touch the iPods though.
The Jabra sounds is excellent once you find the right fit.
My colleague has the 65t and had similar issues with his Android phone, none when connected to an iPhone. My bet is that it’s most likely your phone.

Jan 18, 2019 at 8:30 PM Post #4,358 of 62,188
I have the Jabra Elite Sport it’s the older model with Bluetooth 4.2 and I have none of these issue despite living in a super busy downtown. Battery life is about 5.5-6 hrs before they need to be charged in the case.
I wouldn’t touch the iPods though.
The Jabra sounds is excellent once you find the right fit.
My colleague has the 65t and had similar issues with his Android phone, none when connected to an iPhone. My bet is that it’s most likely your phone.

my 65t is also quite stable and pleasant to use, and lucky for me i don't have that interference at home.

i don't think it's my phone. because that crackles happen even when no music is playing. i even disconnected the bluetooth connection and the crackles continued.

it's more of because the NFMI signal from right to left unit that's being jammed by something. bluetooth 4 for NFMI devices doesn't impair much even compared to bt 5 ones that do not use NFMI

Jan 18, 2019 at 8:37 PM Post #4,359 of 62,188
my 65t is also quite stable and pleasant to use, and lucky for me i don't have that interference at home.

i don't think it's my phone. because that crackles happen even when no music is playing. i even disconnected the bluetooth connection and the crackles continued.

it's more of because the NFMI signal from right to left unit that's being jammed by something. bluetooth 4 for NFMI devices doesn't impair much even compared to bt 5 ones that do not use NFMI
On the topic of 65t, mine stopped turning off in the case. They stay connected. Any fixes?

Jan 18, 2019 at 8:44 PM Post #4,360 of 62,188
On the topic of 65t, mine stopped turning off in the case. They stay connected. Any fixes?

when you put it in the case, does it blink red? try it with the lid open: put it in, if the red light blinks and the bt connection ended, then you close the case and the unit reestablish bt connection, my guess it moved and disengaged from the prong in the case

Jan 18, 2019 at 8:46 PM Post #4,361 of 62,188
when you put it in the case, does it blink red? try it with the lid open: put it in, if the red light blinks and the bt connection ended, then you close the case and the unit reestablish bt connection, my guess it moved and disengaged from the prong in the case
Nope. Nothing happens when I put them in. No lights. It is as if it didn't happen.

Jan 18, 2019 at 9:22 PM Post #4,362 of 62,188
Nope. Nothing happens when I put them in. No lights. It is as if it didn't happen.

then it never turned itself off..might you try turning it off manually, then putting it in the case? if it still not resolved, i strongly suggest to return and replace it with new unit

Jan 19, 2019 at 12:28 AM Post #4,365 of 62,188
Anyone who considers the Airpods to be the standard-bearers of true wireless is either a) woefully ignorant, or b) shilling for Apple. Either way they have no business reviewing headphones. It's even worse than the people who clickbait by going "are these Sennheiser HD820s better than Beats??"

In terms of connectivity and ease of use AirPods right now are the standard imo. They are nowhere near audiophile sound but they do certain things very well. Consistency is spectacular. Take out of case put in ear already connected. Both earbuds lose same amount of battery. Put back in case done. Recharge fully for 4 times. Consistent 5 hour battery.

I just returned my sennheiser mtw even though sound quality was best in true wireless. Why return? How about the unit losing charge while in case and case is fully charged. Huh? I left AirPods in case for over a week while testing mtw during gym sessions daily, and AirPods had the same battery level as left.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back