Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jan 7, 2022 at 9:32 AM Post #41,206 of 62,746
@scubaphish I hate doing this to you but just learned from my local audio store that CA has a new hybrid model on the budget-ish end.
The store has it in stock but CA has it as backordered. In any event, it's worth a look too since it's a BA + DD setup and I trust CA that they know their stuff.
https://campfireaudio.com/shop/onyx/

Jan 7, 2022 at 10:47 AM Post #41,207 of 62,746
@scubaphish I hate doing this to you but just learned from my local audio store that CA has a new hybrid model on the budget-ish end.
The store has it in stock but CA has it as backordered. In any event, it's worth a look too since it's a BA + DD setup and I trust CA that they know their stuff.
https://campfireaudio.com/shop/onyx/
Thanks, I think.
I’ve been staring at the Polaris hybrid…crazy

Edit: that onyx looks sweet!!

Edit 2: head spinning with options…lol

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2022 at 11:06 AM Post #41,208 of 62,746
What's the absolute cheapest I could get away with if I want a bluetooth adapter and an IEM that sounds better than most/any true wireless earbuds, just to try out if it's worth it to me? I think I kinda prefer the convenience of actual TWS's but I'm very curious to try out something, haven't really used wired earbuds for many many years now so I feel like I've lost all reference points on how good they can sound in comparison.

Jan 7, 2022 at 11:11 AM Post #41,209 of 62,746
What's the absolute cheapest I could get away with if I want a bluetooth adapter and an IEM that sounds better than most/any true wireless earbuds, just to try out if it's worth it to me? I think I kinda prefer the convenience of actual TWS's but I'm very curious to try out something, haven't really used wired earbuds for many many years now so I feel like I've lost all reference points on how good they can sound in comparison.
I have the same curiosity and have ordered some to try out. I'm sure others will chime in, but I think the Sure215 TW2 combo is pretty good in the price category. Here in the US it basically boils down to getting the TW2 adapter and a set of single driver iems (215), with the iems landing around 40$ in that package. @Tommy C is using them now and might provide is thoughts on SQ etc.

Jan 7, 2022 at 11:12 AM Post #41,210 of 62,746

You could get the KZ AZ09 Pro and a pair of the CCA CRA. Just to try out something cheap and go from there. Could get that for the equivalent of ~US $50.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2022 at 11:14 AM Post #41,211 of 62,746
I have the same curiosity and have ordered some to try out. I'm sure others will chime in, but I think the Sure215 TW2 combo is pretty good in the price category. Here in the US it basically boils down to getting the TW2 adapter and a set of single driver iems (215), with the iems landing around 40$ in that package. @Tommy C is using them now and might provide is thoughts on SQ etc.
I see! I was looking at the KZ AZ09 and that seems incredibly cheap in comparison to the Shure TW2 ones, even though I bet they're different in many ways. It's almost 1/10 of the price here where i'm at. Okay i'm exaggerating but $35 vs $200 pretty much.

Jan 7, 2022 at 11:16 AM Post #41,213 of 62,746
You could get the KZ AZ09 Pro and a pair of the CCA CRA. Just to try out something cheap and go from there. Could get that for the equivalent of US $50.
Yeah I was looking at those. What I was uncertain with the AZ09 Pro was which IEM's are compatible, is it all 2-pin/0,75mm earbuds that would work with them? I could probably go a bit more expensive than the CCA CRA if I find something worth the money, it's mostly that I want the adapter to be somewhat cheap if I don't end up liking it.

Jan 7, 2022 at 11:23 AM Post #41,214 of 62,746
Yeah I was looking at those. What I was uncertain with the AZ09 Pro was which IEM's are compatible, is it all 2-pin/0,75mm earbuds that would work with them? I could probably go a bit more expensive than the CCA CRA if I find something worth the money, it's mostly that I want the adapter to be somewhat cheap if I don't end up liking it.
You want B pin version to be more compatible. The CCA is a real overachiever and maybe be better to keep it cheaper to try. What if you decide to upgrade to the Shure TWS adapters? Might be best to try it out as cheap as possible then get the best earphone in the right connector you will end up needing. Connection adapters change the fit geometry adding to the length and they can break. I had a pair start cutting out on one side. Figure out if it works.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2022 at 11:35 AM Post #41,215 of 62,746
Ah ok, I didn't know for sure if those were the se215's or aonic 215's, but I think both mean the same thing. I can see se215 on everything now both separately for amazon and on the tw2 combo. That makes the 229 price tag easier to swallow. It's so ironic because before I knew anything or googled much these were what I was going to buy because I love my shure srh840s, but the tw2 combo got bad reviews from tech people and audiophiles. What they hate might be what I love, though.

My timeless are out for delivery today, a day early! UTWS3's come tomorrow I think. Depending on how all that goes I'll see about the tw2. It's just tough because for not much more I could get the dusks.

Jan 7, 2022 at 11:40 AM Post #41,216 of 62,746
I'm still new, but the galaxy bud pros are such a solid buy at 130 new on us amazon. They pop up used there for high 70s sometimes which is just an incredible deal. I've bought buds+, live, and pros from there used and they all came like new. Crin and others have given the pros great reviews. I differ with other people in that I hate the buds+. It's the pros or nothing imo. I'm sure others will chime in.

Jan 7, 2022 at 11:49 AM Post #41,217 of 62,746
Has anyone used the TW2 with Andro or Solaris? Curious on thoughts for those specific combos. Thanks!

Jan 7, 2022 at 11:49 AM Post #41,218 of 62,746
I rotate my KZ AZ09 pro, 2 UTWS5 and TRN BT20s pro regularly and no problem so far. As long as I put or turn off the previous connected bluetooth earhook then proceeed to turning on whichever I want to connect next, it usually happened without a hitch. I never had any of my UTWS5 override another set of bluetooth.
That said, the Fiio adapters "should" turn off when I put them in the case. Sadly, they keep waking up. I shouldn't have to power them off manually each time. I'm unpacking them now and will do a few tests all morning. Wish me luck!

Jan 7, 2022 at 11:51 AM Post #41,219 of 62,746
Has anyone used the TW2 with Andro or Solaris? Curious on thoughts for those specific combos. Thanks!
Theoretically, if they're MMCX they should work fine. You may have to choose a different setting as to which Shure bud you're using in the app. That will pump up the power if you need to. I'm doing that with the Variations right now. In my case, the Variations need that MMCX to 2 Pin adapter which causes a funky fit with the TW2. It works, it's just not a if you're using a Shure bud or another MMCX bud.

Jan 7, 2022 at 11:58 AM Post #41,220 of 62,746
Theoretically, if they're MMCX they should work fine. You may have to choose a different setting as to which Shure bud you're using in the app. That will pump up the power if you need to. I'm doing that with the Variations right now. In my case, the Variations need that MMCX to 2 Pin adapter which causes a funky fit with the TW2. It works, it's just not a if you're using a Shure bud or another MMCX bud.
Which bud do you set the TW2 to in order to get more power? Safe assumption that more drivers means more power so pick 846?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back