Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jan 7, 2022 at 1:17 AM Post #41,191 of 62,747
Awful to hear because I just took a shot and ordered the BT30!

How do I get the UTWS5 to stop randomly trying to connect to my phone when they’re in the case and fully charged? Literally have them boxed up to return because of this issue. Seems many others have the same issue. These are just a few: https://www.reddit.com/r/FiiO/comments/rsnwle/utws_5_keeps_connecting_to_my_phone/
Did you properly close the case? I notice that the UTWS5 will connect with just opening up the case and will stay connected when the lid open. Both of my UTWS5 don't randomly connect to my PC either when they are inside the case with the lid closed.

Jan 7, 2022 at 1:23 AM Post #41,192 of 62,747
Did you properly close the case? I notice that the UTWS5 will connect with just opening up the case and will stay connected when the lid open. Both of my UTWS5 don't randomly connect to my PC either when they are inside the case with the lid closed.
Absolutely. Also, they seem to connect and override when another set of buds are in use. I’ll try another reset tomorrow. Very frustrating.

Jan 7, 2022 at 2:00 AM Post #41,193 of 62,747
Absolutely. Also, they seem to connect and override when another set of buds are in use. I’ll try another reset tomorrow. Very frustrating.
I rotate my KZ AZ09 pro, 2 UTWS5 and TRN BT20s pro regularly and no problem so far. As long as I put or turn off the previous connected bluetooth earhook then proceeed to turning on whichever I want to connect next, it usually happened without a hitch. I never had any of my UTWS5 override another set of bluetooth.

Jan 7, 2022 at 2:49 AM Post #41,194 of 62,747
Im giving wireless audio another go and my first dabble back in has been a disaster.
Sorry, that’s not quite true, I currently use my airpod max daily and they are superb and so are my airpod pro, but I wanted to turn my IE900s wireless so I ordered the UTWS5.
I received the UTWS5 yesterday and after hours of trying I cannot get them to work with my phone so I’ve given up and ordered the Shure TW2.
Are these the only real ear hook type options on the market? Also, my last attempt at going wireless with my iems was with the old Shure Bluetooth neck wire thing, and that had an audible hiss even at low volumes so I really hope the TW2 is better.
I’m worried I’ve entered a whole world of pain but I’m going to try and enjoy trying some new options again.

Jan 7, 2022 at 3:16 AM Post #41,195 of 62,747
I got the TW2 for a good deal for the SE215 Special Edition and thought the same but guess what, they sound really really nice with the SE215 (SE) and to me they are worth it. In the TWS realm the SE215 sound quality is a strong contender as they sound like a wired SE215.
I can't tell if the tw2 combo on US amazon is the se215? I can only find that one combo here in the US.
I didn't want to go nuts, so just trying to keep something simple and discreet. In addition to the Aonic 5s, I ordered IE300's and the Drop JVC FDX1's. I really wanted to compare the differences with the different driver configurations vs sound. Quite interesting stuff although my pocket book might think differently.
Interesting, def interested in the ie300s and fdx1's as they might have a more favorable sound sig to me based on the reviews. There are a lot of other options hyped up now that seemed to have killed the fdx1 talk. It's too bad if what erock said is true and the ie300's have a proprietary connector.

Jan 7, 2022 at 4:31 AM Post #41,196 of 62,747
Im giving wireless audio another go and my first dabble back in has been a disaster.
Sorry, that’s not quite true, I currently use my airpod max daily and they are superb and so are my airpod pro, but I wanted to turn my IE900s wireless so I ordered the UTWS5.
I received the UTWS5 yesterday and after hours of trying I cannot get them to work with my phone so I’ve given up and ordered the Shure TW2.
Are these the only real ear hook type options on the market? Also, my last attempt at going wireless with my iems was with the old Shure Bluetooth neck wire thing, and that had an audible hiss even at low volumes so I really hope the TW2 is better.
I’m worried I’ve entered a whole world of pain but I’m going to try and enjoy trying some new options again.
Have you thought about getting the UTWS3? I have been using it with a number of iems with my iPhone and experienced no issues at all.

Jan 7, 2022 at 7:49 AM Post #41,198 of 62,747
yeah, should have been clearer, but I really like the Sony touch/hold and release to let it rip again. It also fades the music back in when doing it in case it's loud. I do like both a lot though.

Funny when I had the xm3 I thought I would like that but truthfully it was annoying to keep my fingers holding there for any length of time. Find the other solution more elegant where music can pause with ambient activated. Then it is a simple 1 touch to keep ambient on and restart the music or 1 hold to deactivate ambient and restart music.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2022 at 7:54 AM Post #41,199 of 62,747
It's great that we're finally seeing the first APTX Lossless TWS being announced, but other than that CES has been a disappointment.

I guess I'll have to stick with my CA MT for at least a few more months :)

Which one was that? I must've missed it.

Jan 7, 2022 at 8:47 AM Post #41,200 of 62,747
So many people having utws5 issues.... I'm thankful I haven't had any yet because I truly believe it's the best out there sonically. Maybe Fiio is just a generation or two away from the perfect product in this regard. I haven't had the connection issue but one time on my utws3 set. I cleared all pairing, cleaned all connection points with alcohol, turned off the adapters, reset them and then it seemed to bring them back to good. I have no idea if this would help anyone else or if it's just not worth the hassle to any of you. That just really sucks. Honestly whatever I pair with the utws5 sounds really fantastic, they just nailed the tuning, and the power is damn near perfect. I'm sorry yall are seeing issues fellas, hopefully tw2 will do the trick, I still haven't tried the Shure set yet

Jan 7, 2022 at 8:49 AM Post #41,201 of 62,747
I rotate my KZ AZ09 pro, 2 UTWS5 and TRN BT20s pro regularly and no problem so far. As long as I put or turn off the previous connected bluetooth earhook then proceeed to turning on whichever I want to connect next, it usually happened without a hitch. I never had any of my UTWS5 override another set of bluetooth.
You and I both... It is a damn shame so many are having issues man. I really enjoy the utws5 with any iem I use with it. What a disappointment to so many people. I have two utws3's and a utws5 2 pin and have only had one hiccup with one of my 3 versions but other than that they have been.... Perfect.

Jan 7, 2022 at 9:03 AM Post #41,202 of 62,747
Whats a good ANC TWS bud that's isn't susceptible to wind noise?

I've had the Jabra 75t's for a while now but generally their ANC isn't great when it comes to wind noise.

Jan 7, 2022 at 9:16 AM Post #41,204 of 62,747
Whats a good ANC TWS bud that's isn't susceptible to wind noise?

I've had the Jabra 75t's for a while now but generally their ANC isn't great when it comes to wind noise.

I use the 1More Comfobuds Pro as their ANC is pretty solid and you have WR option which mutes the wind noise completely.
I also like them sonically speaking, For the $65 or so that I paid for them I'm very happy.
Edit: keep in mind that only the Aurora blue version has EQ presets if you're considering them.

Jan 7, 2022 at 9:19 AM Post #41,205 of 62,747
Utws5 update. I had another go at the pairing process and it finally went into pairing mode, connected immediately and they work great now.
I’m waiting on the mmcx adaptors so I can use the Ie900 with them, for now I’m using my Shure 535 and it sounds exactly how It did wired.
Can’t wait to have a wireless IE900, that is my absolute end game iem setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back