Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Dec 24, 2018 at 4:27 PM Post #3,346 of 62,454
My Sennheiser MTW arrived today. I had ordered them off Senn's USA website last week thinking I wouldn't see them for a few weeks, but got a shipping notification on Friday. Strange.

Anyway, some initial reactions:

- Very bassy and warmer, but with some top-end emphasis for sparkle. Maybe a lopsided U shape? This is very much a "consumer" Sennheiser sound, so not very similar to their high-end cans in absolute terms. It's not an "accurate" sound from a frequency response standpoint, but they're quite pleasing to listen to. From recent memory the most obvious comparison would be to Sony's wireless ANC over-ear offerings like the WH-1000XM2. At first I was concerned male voices would be too "chesty" with how much low-end bloom there is, but that hasn't been a problem so far. There isn't much bass bleed into the mids, so no issues there.

- Treble is clean despite a small frequency bump up top. There's no really obvious grain or hashy distortion in the treble, and that's a huge relief. The treble distortion on the Jabra 65t is quite obviously audible is is my biggest complaint with those headphones. I'd say the MTW are almost as good as the Bose Soundsport Free in how clean the treble sounds.

- The EQ portion of the app didn't work at all at first. I thought it was broken or nonfunctional. I tried using the app again after a few minutes and it took a couple tries to reconnect to the MTW and now it's working. It's similar to the B&O EQ except a little less esoteric. Honestly, just give me a solid 5+ band EQ. I get they're trying to make EQ more touch-friendly for the iPhone generations, but c'mon.

- Comfortable. They're very light and don't seem as "dense" as other TW earphones I've owned. They stick out much further than the Jabra 65t but nothing like the giant wings that are the Bose Soundsport Free.

- Nice soundstage. Not as expansive as the Bose, but the Soundsport Free doesn't actually insert into the ear so that's no surprise. However the Jabra 65t basically has no soundstage so anything is an improvement.

It's a bummer that there seem to be so many issues with charging and that the battery life isn't great compared to the class leaders (been listening maybe an hour at 55% volume and am down to 71% battery life in the right bud). These are quite nice sounding all things considered and I'd put them up there with the Bose SoundSport Free in terms of SQ. The Bose aren't as bassy and are probably more "neutral" in absolute terms, but they both seem clean and resolving as well as being tonally and timbrally pleasing.
How do they compare with the E8? Where do you think they're better/worse?

Dec 24, 2018 at 4:36 PM Post #3,347 of 62,454
How do they compare with the E8? Where do you think they're better/worse?

I want to preface the following with an acknowledgement that others here have had great experiences with the e8 and there seems to be some variability to how they sound, and also the fact that I haven't tried them in months:

I hated the e8. They were the single worst sounding TWE I have tried. I wrote this elsewhere:

"There's a spike in the treble surrounded by two prominent dips so cymbals or anything else in the upper registers sounds tinny and thin with really obvious distortion. I think there's a hump in the mids, and bass is downright bizarre. Subbass sounds juiced but without any accompanying midbass hump, so there just feels like you're missing half the sound. Clarity is awful, distortion is very apparent."

I also had connectivity issues with them. They were crazy comfortable and remember thinking the controls were intuitive and simple to use, but they sounded atrociously bad especially considering back then they were still going for full price. The MTW sound significantly better to my ears, but so do the Jabra 65t.

Dec 24, 2018 at 5:00 PM Post #3,348 of 62,454
Remember that the Senns has a Eq so you can put it how you want and it handles it well. The MW07 has no eq or app to download so it is what it is.
My Samsung galaxy S8 has a pretty decent EQ (presets, 5-band and a useless fancy one). It works pretty well with MW07 (no distortion or volume jumps), at least through Google Play Music. But not that I feel the need to EQ MW07. Its native tuning is well suited for most genres, so I keep it on flat. That unlike 65t that I have to EQ to W curve to elevate bass, bring mids from obscurity and give some zing to the treble. In that sense MW07 are like my wired Westone IEMs (or high-end cans for the matter) - no EQ needed. Though on some tracks MW07 could benefit a bit from subdued highs, which to me may sound too bright on not so well mastered material. But that's just personal preference.

Dec 24, 2018 at 5:01 PM Post #3,349 of 62,454
Anywhere in particular you're seeing that? I quickly googled and found them listed at B&H and decided to "preorder" a pair from them. They have a pretty forgiving return policy from experience so at least I know I'm covered if the headphones disappoint me. They're supposed to ship sometime around the new year.

Audio 46 has them in stock. Try code welcome46 for 10 percent off. I want to try them but the lack of any sweat proofing is a deal breaker.

Dec 24, 2018 at 5:06 PM Post #3,351 of 62,454
Isn't it a bit weird, that adding sweat proof properties, to the sports version, reduces their battery life? I just find that a very strange decision.
I think they just went with a smaller form factor so smaller battery capacity. Plus for gym use no one needs 4 to 5 hours. I may jump in those but they aren’t available yet. Just the high end ones.

Dec 24, 2018 at 5:08 PM Post #3,352 of 62,454
I want to preface the following with an acknowledgement that others here have had great experiences with the e8 and there seems to be some variability to how they sound, and also the fact that I haven't tried them in months:

I hated the e8. They were the single worst sounding TWE I have tried. I wrote this elsewhere:

"There's a spike in the treble surrounded by two prominent dips so cymbals or anything else in the upper registers sounds tinny and thin with really obvious distortion. I think there's a hump in the mids, and bass is downright bizarre. Subbass sounds juiced but without any accompanying midbass hump, so there just feels like you're missing half the sound. Clarity is awful, distortion is very apparent."

I also had connectivity issues with them. They were crazy comfortable and remember thinking the controls were intuitive and simple to use, but they sounded atrociously bad especially considering back then they were still going for full price. The MTW sound significantly better to my ears, but so do the Jabra 65t.
Interesting. The 1st pair I had sounded horrible, as the frequencies, specifically the low-end, sounded as if it just flattened out due to inadequate driver range. There was no issue with fit or seal, nor is this my "first rodeo" as it relates to IEMs.

The Charcoal Gray E8 version I had, lost connection in the left earbud all the time. Every song, every time. The Black pair I just got (for $192 at Best Buy with Amazon price match), doesn't drop out at all, but if it does, I'm 20 feet and 2 walls away. The sound is great with no frequency range oddities. As a side note, I spent some time with the H8i & H9i vs. the H8 & H9, and while I won't get into my opinion on sound, I did notice there was an odd QC variation between an H8i & H9i and any other given H8i or H9i (I actually returned quite a few for different issues). On the other hand, the H8 & H9 were far more consistent in build quality and consistency across the board. I'm not sure if they're using the same manufacturing plant of if they've gone with a more "cost effective" alternative. It seems QC has taken a hit lately.

Dec 24, 2018 at 5:10 PM Post #3,353 of 62,454
Isn't it a bit weird, that adding sweat proof properties, to the sports version, reduces their battery life? I just find that a very strange decision.
By the way the person at audio46 said the ATs have a more v shaped signature to the senns fwiw. They are awesome to deal with. Very responsive.

Dec 24, 2018 at 5:10 PM Post #3,354 of 62,454
I think they just went with a smaller form factor so smaller battery capacity. Plus for gym use no one needs 4 to 5 hours. I may jump in those but they aren’t available yet. Just the high end ones.
Obviously, you haven't been to the gym with SomeGuyDude. :L3000:

I'll wait for feedback on those, as my assumption is they may be bright, but lack bass.

Dec 24, 2018 at 5:15 PM Post #3,355 of 62,454
By the way the person at audio46 said the ATs have a more v shaped signature to the senns fwiw. They are awesome to deal with. Very responsive.
While the YouTube reviews are certainly easy on the eyes, I don't find their reviews very compelling. They are a little too positive on everything...probably because they sell everything!

There are some random Chi-Fi stuff I'm looking at, specifically the Mpow T5 True Wireless Earbuds. IPX7, aptX, AAC, leather case, 7 hours on a charge. Who knows, they may sound like garbage, but for $59, worth a shot.

https://www.amazon.com/Mpow-Waterproof-Bluetooth-Headphones-Noise-Canceling/dp/B07KT2SYPY

Dec 24, 2018 at 5:17 PM Post #3,356 of 62,454
just did a quick test comparing mavin air-x to fiio btr3 with tin t2. Surprised by the difference, at full volume (with hiby r3) not that much difference but btr3s bass is heavier and fuller. the mavin is wider sounding and easier to place instruments.

The btr3+tint2 sounds better, more warm and rounded bass but surprised how the mavin held up. Just showed off how the 65t does not compare (still my nr 1 for hiking).

A sidenote, the mavin customer care, or lack of, does not give confidence. No answer on emails or those "social media" things for a simple operation question.

Dec 24, 2018 at 6:34 PM Post #3,357 of 62,454
I have owned the QC20 and 30. The 20 had very high ANC actually more than the 30 in my opinion. But had less sound quality because the ANC was so strong. You will lose that "silence" that ANC gives. If you fly a lot ANC is also the best option.

But I find the MTW isolates enough that I use them on the bus and walking around and love their sound even in noisy environments. The isolation is dependent on them fitting in you concha well and tips. My wife could not wear them for example as she has an unusual ear shape. Foe me they fit like a glove. As for comfort Bise is simply the most comfortable tip design ever. Having said that the MTW are a shallow fit tip so are pretty comfortable too.

I suggest buying from Amazon or Sennheiser direct so you can return them if you fit issues.

Sound wise I think the MTW slay any Bose I have owned...

Thanks, pretty much confirms my expectations.

Worst type of isolation while flying and not as nice eartip confort seems to be the price to pay (besides those 300 euros!).

Thing is I don’t want to go with the QC30s again as I have concerns with their built quality and they now seem like an ageing design which will probably be discontinued soon. So since they bring that nice form factors and better sound quality to the table, I’ll probably try the MTW.

Dec 24, 2018 at 7:14 PM Post #3,358 of 62,454
Dec 24, 2018 at 9:10 PM Post #3,359 of 62,454

The only thing I can think with these is that there was some crazy issue with the connectivity. I've noticed that if I go slightly out of range, after a couple disconnects, when it "sticks" again the sound is very hollow and odd in a way that seems to match these responses. Because otherwise I'm not sure how my experience is so diametrically opposed to others. Like, I have none of the issues described normally, and I'm still not totally sure about the weird connection blip situation, but that's the best guess I have.

I haven't heard the MTW but thus far the only thing that sounds better is the MW07, but going off memory (which isn't terribly reliable) it's not a long gap between them, or at least the gap isn't enough that I find myself wishing I still had the MW07. On the contrary, I often find myself using the e8 over some of my full-size.

Dec 25, 2018 at 9:23 PM Post #3,360 of 62,454
Hello all!

Long time lurker, but apparently a first-time poster (I could've sworn I had created an account in the past....) anyway... I waited explicitly for the Senn MTW as my launch into the world of expensive true wireless earbuds. I did buy a cheap pair from amazon to be sure that I liked using them, but then I waited for the MTW as I know I am very picky when it comes to sound quality (aptxHD, LL, usb c - what's not to like?).

Received them from my Amazon order on 12/17. I've been listening to them pretty much non-stop for about a week. I really like them, but there are a few things I am struggling with:

#1 - When the earbuds are in the case and the case loses charge, the earbuds seem to think that they are being called to action and so they connect to my phone (stealing my audio stream) and they have to be manually disconnected by pressing and holding both (or you can plug the chase in - giving it power and letting it tell the buds that they are charging again). I have found the earbuds dead after they started playing in the case overnight. I really hope they can fix this with a firmware update or a case fix.

#2 - Max volume - I am a bit of a basshead and probably listen to things at unhealthy volumes at times - I don't love that my standard volume with these is 1 bump away from maximum. It hasn't been an issue, but I assume it's not great for my battery life.

#3 - Sound - I like the sound. A lot. But... even though I like a lot of bass - the overall sennheiser U or V sound is a little off for me. I also like to have more of a sense of atmosphere and a large enough soundstage to distinguish subtleties in the bass.

#4 - Calls - I didn't expect that this would matter to me as much as it does. I have at least one person who hates talking to me when I have them on - claiming I sound distant and a little distorted (even when I'm sitting in my living room). Others have not complained, but I have not been reading positive things about the microphone for calls since.

Finally, I did buy the Comply True Wireless, one size fits all, tips and I do like them on the MTW - it actually makes the sounds a little more pleasant for me, and the fit is solid. The one difference is that I take the added step of rolling them before insertion which is a little slower. I'd recommend the tips to anyone who likes comply or who finds they're between sizes in the regular tips.

So, I decided I'm going to try the Westone Bluetooth 5.0 V2 cable: https://www.westone.com/store/music/index.php/bluetooth-v2-cable

I have my Fender FXA2 iems just sitting around not being used, so I thought I'd give this a go - given there are some promising reviews for this cable. I think I am going to return the MTW, but I'm waiting a day or two to decide.

Can't wait to see what's next in this space!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back