Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Dec 24, 2018 at 2:39 PM Post #3,331 of 61,981
I was playing with UAPP with Tidal using my MW07 and you can adjust the eq through the app and it works. I was trying out the MQA that you can use now with the UAPP on a portable device, in this case my LGV20.

Dec 24, 2018 at 3:07 PM Post #3,333 of 61,981
Best of luck, five sets had that hiss for me.

Yeah, your account is what is making me wonder if we're talking fault or feature. We'll see.

Was this the Active version or standard? I'm pretty sensitive to hiss and I didn't notice any of that on the Active model (Best Buy exclusive Titanium color).

Mine are the Active, and the hiss is strange: it just jumps up into existence once I go like from 70 to 75%, and stays constant as I go to 100%. If I then take the volume down one step at a time, it disappears completely at around the same mark.

But it's *very* apparent.

Dec 24, 2018 at 3:07 PM Post #3,334 of 61,981
Dec 24, 2018 at 3:08 PM Post #3,335 of 61,981
As much as I love my iPhone the audio side blows. No uapp with tidal. No ldac. Sucks.
Don't count on any of that soon. Aside from the lawsuit with Qualcomm (aptX), they're not going to use any revenue for LDAC licensing fees.

The bright side, however, is sound is quite good from Apple Music (AAC) to devices that support AAC.

Dec 24, 2018 at 3:10 PM Post #3,336 of 61,981
What is uapp ?
I assumed (perhaps mistakenly) that it was usb audio pro app which integrates tidal with your android phone for high quality streaming. Someone could make my Christmas if there was anything similar for iOS. The app integrates a full parametric eq on top of it. Killer setup is dragonfly red over android using usb audio pro.

Dec 24, 2018 at 3:10 PM Post #3,337 of 61,981
Yeah, your account is what is making me wonder if we're talking fault or feature. We'll see.

Mine are the Active, and the hiss is strange: it just jumps up into existence once I go like from 70 to 75%, and stays constant as I go to 100%. If I then take the volume down one step at a time, it disappears completely at around the same mark.

But it's *very* apparent.
Interesting. Since I never go above 50% on pretty much anything, this may explain why some hear it and others don't. Sounds like a flaw in the AMP.

Dec 24, 2018 at 3:11 PM Post #3,338 of 61,981
Don't count on any of that soon. Aside from the lawsuit with Qualcomm (aptX), they're not going to use any revenue for LDAC licensing fees.

The bright side, however, is sound is quite good from Apple Music (AAC) to devices that support AAC.

No parametric eq for iOS though right?

Dec 24, 2018 at 3:19 PM Post #3,340 of 61,981
What's the reason for returning the Senns? Just curious. I think there great in most aspects and never had any issues thus far. With that being said I have not had any issues with the MW07 either, both are great!

Usability and vanity really. SQ was great (although not sure I was OK with the pricetag - I know TW has an associated premium atm, but it was alot to stomach)

Mainly the touch controls were too finicky for me, kept accidentally restarting music, not going into transparency mode when I wanted it to, and worst of all I kept losing grip on them due to their tapering shape and lack of anything to hold (they seated deep in my ear)

Secondly more than one person commented I looked like a Cyberman...e8s look good, MW07s do too, but these can be a bit silly looking. Small issue to be sure, but one nonetheless on such a premium product

Dec 24, 2018 at 3:20 PM Post #3,341 of 61,981
Just got an alert on the E8 app that they are discontinuing the separate E8 app in favor of an overall BO app, which it asked me to download. Did so and apparently the EQ has lost the abilty to “open up” and “close down” the soundstage by expanding the circle. It’s now set pretty close to full open, which I don’t care for.

Old app still works for now, though.

Dec 24, 2018 at 3:31 PM Post #3,342 of 61,981
No parametric eq for iOS though right?
Not for iPhones, unfortunately.

The "EQ" for Apple Music is useless to the Nth Degree, unless of course you want to alter the sound to an unlistenable, unnatural signature. Love muffled sound with ludicrous peaks? Oh, dude, Apple Music "EQ" is for you. Whoever created the presets should really be working on something else over there...like emptying the trash cans (that's even a bit too much for them, but they have to do something). I just realized how much those presets make me mad! LOL!

Dec 24, 2018 at 3:36 PM Post #3,343 of 61,981
Just got an alert on the E8 app that they are discontinuing the separate E8 app in favor of an overall BO app, which it asked me to download. Did so and apparently the EQ has lost the abilty to “open up” and “close down” the soundstage by expanding the circle. It’s now set pretty close to full open, which I don’t care for.

Old app still works for now, though.
Weird.

I received that message too, downloaded the new app, deleted the old app, and have been using that ever since (about a week now or so). However, the dot is fully closed. I would recommend resetting them and see what happens. The simulated soundstage feature is not very good, so I never used it on the old app anyway.

Dec 24, 2018 at 4:06 PM Post #3,344 of 61,981
My Sennheiser MTW arrived today. I had ordered them off Senn's USA website last week thinking I wouldn't see them for a few weeks, but got a shipping notification on Friday. Strange.

Anyway, some initial reactions:

- Very bassy and warmer, but with some top-end emphasis for sparkle. Maybe a lopsided U shape? This is very much a "consumer" Sennheiser sound, so not very similar to their high-end cans in absolute terms. It's not an "accurate" sound from a frequency response standpoint, but they're quite pleasing to listen to. From recent memory the most obvious comparison would be to Sony's wireless ANC over-ear offerings like the WH-1000XM2. At first I was concerned male voices would be too "chesty" with how much low-end bloom there is, but that hasn't been a problem so far. There isn't much bass bleed into the mids, so no issues there.

- Treble is clean despite a small frequency bump up top. There's no really obvious grain or hashy distortion in the treble, and that's a huge relief. The treble distortion on the Jabra 65t is quite obviously audible and is my biggest complaint with those headphones. I'd say the MTW are almost as good as the Bose Soundsport Free in how clean the treble sounds.

- The EQ portion of the app didn't work at all at first. I'd make changes but there'd be no change in sound whatsoever when using my Pixel 3 XL. I thought it was broken or nonfunctional. I tried using the app again after a few minutes and it took a couple tries to reconnect to the MTW and now it's working. It's similar to the B&O EQ except a little less esoteric. Honestly, just give me a solid 5+ band EQ. I get they're trying to make EQ more touch-friendly for the iPhone generation, but c'mon.

- Comfortable. They're very light and don't seem as "dense" as other TW earphones I've owned. They stick out much further than the Jabra 65t but nothing like the giant wings that are the Bose Soundsport Free.

- Nice soundstage. Not as expansive as the Bose, but the Soundsport Free doesn't actually insert into the ear so that's no surprise. However the Jabra 65t basically has no soundstage so anything is an improvement.

It's a bummer that there seem to be so many issues with charging and that the battery life isn't great compared to the class leaders (been listening maybe an hour at 55% volume and am down to 71% battery life in the right bud). These are quite nice sounding all things considered and I'd put them up there with the Bose SoundSport Free in terms of SQ. The Bose aren't as bassy and are probably more "neutral" in absolute terms, but they both seem clean and resolving as well as being tonally and timbrally pleasing.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2018 at 4:11 PM Post #3,345 of 61,981
Looks like the Audio-Technica has been released in the US. Anyone have any impressions compared to MW07 or Senns.

Anywhere in particular you're seeing that? I quickly googled and found them listed at B&H and decided to "preorder" a pair from them. They have a pretty forgiving return policy from experience so at least I know I'm covered if the headphones disappoint me. They're supposed to ship sometime around the new year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back