Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Apr 25, 2021 at 4:36 PM Post #32,386 of 62,171
So they handle AptxHD directly and without the need for the case?
Correct. My understanding is that AptX Adaptive is backwards compatible with HD. My Hiby does not support adaptive, so defaults to HD. On the document I downloaded from the B&W site in the UK it states the following codes are supported;

AptX – Adaptive
AptX – HD
AptX – Low Latency
AptX – Classic
AAC
SBC

Apr 25, 2021 at 4:55 PM Post #32,387 of 62,171
Correct. My understanding is that AptX Adaptive is backwards compatible with HD. My Hiby does not support adaptive, so defaults to HD. On the document I downloaded from the B&W site in the UK it states the following codes are supported;

AptX – Adaptive
AptX – HD
AptX – Low Latency
AptX – Classic
AAC
SBC
That would be very nice and a terrible job marketing these. Why not lead with AptxHD as the main draw? I’ll have mine on Wednesday and will see if they connect to my pixel vial AptxHD.

Apr 25, 2021 at 4:56 PM Post #32,388 of 62,171

AptX – Adaptive
AptX – HD
AptX – Low Latency
AptX – Classic
AAC
SBC
Here's where things get interesting. My OnePlus 8T can support that entire suite of codecs. My Noble Falcon Pro can only support SBC, AAC, aptX, or Adaptive. I cannot select aptX HD, even though my Etymotion cable can.

I have a feeling aptX Adaptive is just a bit of a confusing mess and, as with most new technologies, isn't quite ready for primetime.

Apr 25, 2021 at 4:58 PM Post #32,389 of 62,171
Here is more clarity from B&W:

“Apologies Timothy, I misunderstood your original question.
As with all Bluetooth headphones, it's the source that sets the transmission codeq. So if the buds directly connect to an iPhone it will be using AAC.
If the phone or tablet is Aptx HD compatible the buds will directly connect using Aptx-HD.
To have the full quality of Aptx Adaptive you need a compatible phone which gives you the potential of 24bit 48Khz. In that case the buds would connect using Aptx Adaptive.
I’ve attached a spec sheet so you can see all the codeqs you can use.
I think the journalists are misunderstanding the purpose of the case. Primarily its for air travel which is why you get a 3.5mm jack to USB-C cable in the box and there’s an ADC in the case itself.
You can also connect it digitally and there’s also a USB—C to USB-C cable in the box. This can be used for connecting to MACs etc. The output of the case is fixed at Aptx LL which in theory is higher quality than AAC. But the benefit of the case is convenience.”

I will contact our American colleagues and ask them to get CNET to correct the review”

Apr 25, 2021 at 5:02 PM Post #32,391 of 62,171
Here's where things get interesting. My OnePlus 8T can support that entire suite of codecs. My Noble Falcon Pro can only support SBC, AAC, aptX, or Adaptive. I cannot select aptX HD, even though my Etymotion cable can.

I have a feeling aptX Adaptive is just a bit of a confusing mess and, as with most new technologies, isn't quite ready for primetime.
Yeah that’s a head scratcher.

Apr 25, 2021 at 5:07 PM Post #32,392 of 62,171
Actually reading up on this, now I’m confused. This has been reported widely however in researching this it says the case to buds transmit via aptx LL which would not in fact be hi res. Can anyone clarify?
I also read aptX LL somewhere which would explain why there does not seem to be latency issues but that also probably means it is not hires and lesser quality vs. aptX. Seems to be a lot of confusion around this and I have read different things online as well.

Apr 25, 2021 at 5:13 PM Post #32,393 of 62,171

In the UK, the 8T only supports AptX Classic, HD, AAC & LDAC?

Apr 25, 2021 at 5:19 PM Post #32,394 of 62,171
Those with SoundPeats T2: Does your box say "Active Noise Control" or "Active Noise Cancelling" and 25 hours battery life or 30 hours? Mine says Active Noise Cancelling and 30 hours, and according to SoundPeats (via Amazon) it is supposed to be a newer unit that addresses clipping issues with louder volumes. So far I am a bit disappointed by the case battery life, it seems to drain within 2 days of use, even though the buds themselves remain above 90% at the end of my listening session. When the case battery is depleted, the earbuds also don't power off in the case, and if you have ambient sound on it causes a high-pitched feedback. Fortunately, you can power them on/off by holding the touch controls for over 6 seconds. It's great that these have touch controls for pairing mode, so I don't have to go into Bluetooth settings on the device I am disconnecting with, but the touch hold overlaps too closely with power on/off.

I have tested tracks at high volume and experienced no clipping. However, the ANC buzzing phenomenon noticed by Scarbir/Bartig and other users is preset on my left bud (others have reported it on the right bud). I'm not sure how "bad" this issue is though. It seems to occur after listening to them for a prolonged period and is independent of ANC being turned on or off. It's not as bad as what I experienced on the TaoTronics SoundLiberty 94 (where it is worst when ambient sound is turned on). Both of these use an Airoha chipset so I'm wondering if that is part of it.

Using AirReps156X app I was able to turn used this to turn on ambient sound when using only one bud, but afterwards the two earbuds would no longer connect as a stereo pair, until deleted the pairing from my device and re-paired them.

Apr 25, 2021 at 5:35 PM Post #32,395 of 62,171
In the UK, the 8T only supports AptX Classic, HD, AAC & LDAC?
I was referring to my findings with using an aptX Adaptive set of True Wireless (Noble Falcon Pro) with the OnePlus 8T. Since they're both aptX Adaptive-capable units, one would assume that all of the legacy aptX codecs are available to you with that particular set.

Turns out that's not the case. aptX HD, which should theoretically be available to me, is not. I can only assume this is because aptX HD is a power-hungey codec and is probably disabled due to using the TWS+ (or whatever it's called) connection method.

aptX in general has just become a bit of a confusing mess and Qualcomm really needs to figure out what "standard" they're going to stick to. Currently I don't think there is one.

Apr 25, 2021 at 5:52 PM Post #32,396 of 62,171
The P17 states Apt X Adaptive, which is the same as on my Noble Falcon Pro. Which connects to my Sony TV at LL and to my m15 at HD and to my iPhone 12 Pro at AAC. The P17 supposedly has the same chip in it, not sure if the case has a matching chip in it as well or just an HD or LL chip to play music. The whole point of the Adaptive is it matches it’s source with the best possible sound for the source. I will say with HD on my m15 I sometimes get strange artifact noises, but with HD off music is a bit less dynamic but no once in a blue moon artifact noises. No issues with AAC or LL, only while connected to HD and not constant or every time. Seems HD is more sensitive to outside inference then other modes.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2021 at 6:28 PM Post #32,398 of 62,171

AptX – Adaptive
AptX – HD
AptX – Low Latency
AptX – Classic
AAC
SBC
This is correct and matches the spec sheet sent to me.

Apr 25, 2021 at 6:31 PM Post #32,399 of 62,171
If you're dead set on getting the P17's now and are willing to go through a few steps to get the sticker price down a bit, Touch Of Modern has them for $319 with their sitewide 20% off sale. You'll have to set up an account first though before doing anything..

https://www.touchofmodern.com/

Edit: P15's are $200.
That’s a pretty sizeable savings. Wow. Tempting to buy and return the first set.

Apr 25, 2021 at 6:42 PM Post #32,400 of 62,171
If you're dead set on getting the P17's now and are willing to go through a few steps to get the sticker price down a bit, Touch Of Modern has them for $319 with their sitewide 20% off sale. You'll have to set up an account first though before doing anything..

https://www.touchofmodern.com/

Edit: P15's are $200.
Very tempting, the battery life is tough, really even too short for a domestic flight and airport wait.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back