Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Apr 26, 2021 at 10:39 AM Post #32,417 of 62,454
Interesting. But the PX7, at least currently, does not support AptX LL and is advertised and shown in the PI7 manual as being able to connect to the PI7 case when in retransmission mode. So unless the case, in this particular use scenario, starts putting out standard AptX or AptX HD, I don't see how it would be a LL connection unless the devices are using adaptive to talk to each other.

Would be great if they clarified this specific point, since frankly using the case to bring a LL option to my PX7 when using a computer is an extremely compelling benefit that makes me feel a lot better about my intention to purchase the PI7.

Edit: It might also mean the PX7 is getting a firmware update to add AptX LL support (which would be lovely)
Could they somehow be limiting the aptX adaptive bitrate at the case and just be calling it low latency? Maybe it is not "aptX LL" despite what the reps have said. Not sure we will ever really know so I think if we buy it assuming (and think we know that) it is not aptX HD/hires quality and, if it works well for it's intended use case, then I don't have an issue with it. I would not expect it to convert a non-bluetooth hi-end DAC into a bluetooth transmitter that can deliver hires music to your PI7s. I am glad people here also took the effort to reach out to B&W to correct some of these early "reviews" (if they can be called that) which seemed to imply you can use the case to make everything hires.

Apr 26, 2021 at 12:52 PM Post #32,418 of 62,454
Could they somehow be limiting the aptX adaptive bitrate at the case and just be calling it low latency? Maybe it is not "aptX LL" despite what the reps have said. Not sure we will ever really know so I think if we buy it assuming (and think we know that) it is not aptX HD/hires quality and, if it works well for it's intended use case, then I don't have an issue with it. I would not expect it to convert a non-bluetooth hi-end DAC into a bluetooth transmitter that can deliver hires music to your PI7s. I am glad people here also took the effort to reach out to B&W to correct some of these early "reviews" (if they can be called that) which seemed to imply you can use the case to make everything hires.
If they support AptxHD however the hi res is an option. At least for non-Samsung android users. For iOS definitely not ideal. I think they chose LL for battery life and low latency. The rep mentioned that adaptive has better battery life than HD so maybe they switched to Adaptive to improve battery life. It will be interesting to see how awful the battery is using an AptxHD connection. Someone up thread is using aptxHD via his DAP.

Apr 26, 2021 at 1:35 PM Post #32,419 of 62,454
If they support AptxHD however the hi res is an option. At least for non-Samsung android users. For iOS definitely not ideal. I think they chose LL for battery life and low latency. The rep mentioned that adaptive has better battery life than HD so maybe they switched to Adaptive to improve battery life. It will be interesting to see how awful the battery is using an AptxHD connection. Someone up thread is using aptxHD via his DAP.
I meant not hires only when transmitting via the case. Sorry if I was not clear. I am counting on the buds themselves supporting aptX HD, which is important to me since I plan on using them via aptX HD with my Node 2i in addition to adaptive with my V60 and OnePlus 8T.

Anxiously waiting for them to ship...looks like Touch of Modern just drop ships so they will ship directly from B&W according to the email I got from them.

Apr 26, 2021 at 2:05 PM Post #32,420 of 62,454
I don't know if posted before, but Melomania Touch got new fw update on April 21st. Here's changelog
21st April 2021

(v1.4.2)

Updates:

• Auto-connect is now quicker, at around 6 seconds.
  • Optimised power-off consistency when the earphones are placed in the charging case.
  • Earphones no longer automatically power off after 60 minutes of use on voice calls on a Windows 10 laptop/PC.
  • The current Audio Mode is now correctly displayed in the Melomania App.
  • During a system reset, the earphones return to the previous peer connection after 60 seconds, if a new connection is not found.
  • System reset optimised.
To me they also tweaked sound, it seems to me they tamed down mid bass and raised mids. I hear more clarity and less boom

I was a bit hesistant to update to this since my MT's have been working fine but now i have had some odd issues with this update. I've had no music or anything play through them...had to re-pair. I've had them randomly power off and ive had the music cutoff and nothing played. Had to once again re-pair.

Could just be me but will need to see if i can reset them. Havent done much looking in the app. Guess i will start today.

Apr 26, 2021 at 2:10 PM Post #32,421 of 62,454
I was a bit hesistant to update to this since my MT's have been working fine but now i have had some odd issues with this update. I've had no music or anything play through them...had to re-pair. I've had them randomly power off and ive had the music cutoff and nothing played. Had to once again re-pair.

Could just be me but will need to see if i can reset them. Havent done much looking in the app. Guess i will start today.
Right earbud? I've had it shut off on me a couple times since the update. Double-tapping woke it back up.

Apr 26, 2021 at 4:31 PM Post #32,423 of 62,454
Just got my Moondrop Aria today and paired them with the TRN BT20S. They have immediately replaced the TRN BT20S + KZ ZAX as my favorite combo. The Aria look much better in person, and they feel so well-built and substantial (without feeling too heavy). They are a bit hard to drive by the BT20S - I really have to crank the volume, but for my purposes and my tastes these are plenty loud.

I'll save my KZ ZAX's for the KZ AZ09 I just ordered.
IMG_4925.jpg

Apr 26, 2021 at 5:20 PM Post #32,425 of 62,454
Still not a single review of the PI7 on youtube :/
Most reviewers are likely just now getting their hands on it. If I remember correctly from my review days, the review samples I got from B&W were production samples; though I've been out of the review business for some time. I still get their press releases because of this though; the PI5 and PI7 included. I will say, the timeframe between the time I received the press release (and made aware of the official product) and the time I was allowed to talk about the press release was very short.

Apr 26, 2021 at 5:23 PM Post #32,426 of 62,454
Most reviewers are likely just now getting their hands on it. If I remember correctly from my review days, the review samples I got from B&W were production samples; though I've been out of the review business for some time. I still get their press releases because of this though; the PI5 and PI7 included. I will say, the timeframe between the time I received the press release (and made aware of the official product) and the time I was allowed to talk about the press release was very short.

Strange! I thought most major reviewers got their hands on new releases weeks before the official release, at least from most big players which I would count B&W as.

Apr 26, 2021 at 5:32 PM Post #32,427 of 62,454
Strange! I thought most major reviewers got their hands on new releases weeks before the official release, at least from most big players which I would count B&W as.
It depends on the company. Some will get very early samples, others will not. If a reviewer receives something too early, then the review could be posted earlier, however it may be considered pre-production which can have its own issues sometimes. If a reviewer receives stock from production runs, then the reviewer will receive something that is going to more closely resemble what the consumer will get, but then the review typically comes later. There are pros and cons to both ways.

Apr 26, 2021 at 5:54 PM Post #32,428 of 62,454
It depends on the company. Some will get very early samples, others will not. If a reviewer receives something too early, then the review could be posted earlier, however it may be considered pre-production which can have its own issues sometimes. If a reviewer receives stock from production runs, then the reviewer will receive something that is going to more closely resemble what the consumer will get, but then the review typically comes later. There are pros and cons to both ways.
when i reviewed the Anker life A2NC, i needed to provide a review ASAp! as they had just been released. When i reviewed the Yamaha YhE700A, I got it like 3 weeks before it was released, so couldn't talk about it until 2 days Prior. These reviews were for a 3rd party site, so I didn't deal with the OEM's directly in these cases, but sharing some of my experience to show how varried it can be with these things.

Apr 26, 2021 at 6:36 PM Post #32,430 of 62,454
Got these today...
1619475134478.png

1619475181217.png

1619475216600.png

1619475256963.png

The JVC HA-A8T surprised me. Had no clue they were buttons under the outer silicone skin. D'oh tapping them and nothing is happening! :)

Handsome looks, build is sleek and sturdy for a cheapie. Case and buds are solid on the fit and finish. This new shape design they came up with fits me great. Stable fit that doesn't move with no fins or foams needed. Bass even has some feel to it. No fancy codes other than SBC but they have that airy open sound with nice space and depth. Quite open. A nice balanced sound but a little warmer EQ gives a very satisfying low end for this style. They are Class 1 and JVC does a good job on the connection stability. Passed the back pocket test perfectly. Simple control scheme with play on both sides and volume is the L bud and track control the R. No issues till after a second wall. What many won't like is they are micro USB. I would love to see a higher end design of this with wireless charging, more codecs and stuff cause I think they nailed the fit and sound presentation.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back