Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Apr 25, 2021 at 9:18 PM Post #32,401 of 62,456
KZ just officially released the AZ09. Only available in QDC connection. Initial price is at 28 USD (Lazada PH). We can expect this to go down on some shops/stores depending on the online platform. I should receive my unit this week and will be able to give you guys an initial impression.

I also see it on Amazon now for 23.99 USD. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09292MSTF/ref=twister_B08BR7S98H?_encoding=UTF8&th=1

https://www.lazada.com.ph/products/...o4l.searchlist.list.3.40bf5f70HuZMKn&search=1

1619399919974.png

1619399953480.png

1619399989927.png

1619400030042.png

1619400049876.png

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2021 at 9:20 PM Post #32,402 of 62,456
Apr 25, 2021 at 9:54 PM Post #32,403 of 62,456
That’s a pretty sizeable savings. Wow. Tempting to buy and return the first set.
Seems like you guys really like these...I had them in my cart but Final Sale and 1-2 week delivery (no cancellation) is what is holding me back. Was surprised to see Touch of Modern is an authorized B&W online retailer.

Edit: 30 min after posting this, I ordered the white B&W PI7 from Touch of Modern...guess I am stuck with it now but I am pretty sure I will like it based on what I have seen here and previous experience with B&W. Thank you @dj24 for posting about the deal and thank you to everyone who has posted their impressions. I found a $25 Amex Offer on my credit card as well which covered most of the NY sales tax and ended up being around what my Senn MTW (Gen 1) cost me. At less than US 325 shipped, I just could not resist. These will replace those MTWs so not too concerned about battery life. They will definitely accompany me on my next flight this summer but I think for flights it will still be the SE846/Qudelix 5K combo for me (with an IE Match for the in flight entertainment).

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2021 at 10:09 PM Post #32,404 of 62,456
:Here is more clarity from B&W:

“Apologies Timothy, I misunderstood your original question.
As with all Bluetooth headphones, it's the source that sets the transmission codeq. So if the buds directly connect to an iPhone it will be using AAC.
If the phone or tablet is Aptx HD compatible the buds will directly connect using Aptx-HD.
To have the full quality of Aptx Adaptive you need a compatible phone which gives you the potential of 24bit 48Khz. In that case the buds would connect using Aptx Adaptive.
I’ve attached a spec sheet so you can see all the codeqs you can use.
I think the journalists are misunderstanding the purpose of the case. Primarily its for air travel which is why you get a 3.5mm jack to USB-C cable in the box and there’s an ADC in the case itself.
You can also connect it digitally and there’s also a USB—C to USB-C cable in the box. This can be used for connecting to MACs etc. The output of the case is fixed at Aptx LL which in theory is higher quality than AAC. But the benefit of the case is convenience.”

I will contact our American colleagues and ask them to get CNET to correct the review”
That totally makes sense. No need to have the case at more than APTX-LL if the intended use is to connect to a tv, flight entertainment system etc. Especially with convenience in mind. APTX Adaptive would drain the iems even faster. I found a link from Qualcomm. I'll put at the end of this post, and I'll paste portions of the page here and there. Apologies for the weird font, it won't clear for some reason.
But based on this page; APTX Adaptive seems to be a codec that offers characteristics of APTX-LL, "
Low-latency mode
Designed to support video and gaming, aptX Adaptive delivers a fully immersive experience.
""Technical Specifications
Latency
Low system latency approx. 80ms
""Lower audio bitrate than APTX-HD, "

“No statistically significant difference between Qualcomm® aptX™ Adaptive at 420kbit/s and Linear Audio at 24bit / 96kHz” APTX-HD tops out at 576 KBITs.​

"Crowded RF environments are no longer a worry. Wherever you are, enjoy the same high-quality sound." "​

https://www.aptx.com/aptx-adaptive

Apr 25, 2021 at 10:23 PM Post #32,405 of 62,456
Apr 25, 2021 at 11:55 PM Post #32,406 of 62,456
What wireless chargers are people using? I have a bunch of Samsung stands for phones but found they dont work well with smaller TWS cases. Since my Galaxy Buds Live has already clained my only flat wireless charging pad I will need a new one for my new PI7s (I was in the market for a new one for another setup anyway but I would prefer it work well with TWS).

Apr 25, 2021 at 11:59 PM Post #32,407 of 62,456
What wireless chargers are people using? I have a bunch of Samsung stands for phones but found they dont work well with smaller TWS cases. Since my Galaxy Buds Live has already clained my only flat wireless charging pad I will need a new one for my new PI7s (I was in the market for a new one for another setup anyway but I would prefer it work well with TWS).
This one:
Screenshot_20210425-205725.jpg
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07THHQMH...abc_GHGVD6D4KDDH66RQNTSN?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Doesn't have to be fancy. This one has worked with everything (Qi) compatible so far. Even juiced up an iPhone X without issue.

Apr 26, 2021 at 12:25 AM Post #32,408 of 62,456
Had a wild hair today and decided to try some of the IEM tips I got on the JBL.

Obviously none of these tip options would work if you have to practically use these TWS out and about; the case just doesn't close. But it helped me understand what it is that's been bugging me so much about the JBL since I got them. Even with any of the tips I currently had, the seal I could get in one ear or another were just too insecure and started shifting around enough to break that seal once I started moving around. Turns out that nozzle is just too short for my ears.

I started with the Symbio W Hybrids (foam-filled silicone tips...a basshead's best friend and super-awesome budget IEM tips). Those were a lot of fun, but too wide for the use, which caused for me to have fitment issues in my left ear. I had to sit very still or the whole experience was ruined.

Swapping the Symbios out for my Spiral Dots brought out the light bulb. They extend the nozzle's reach out enough to make a good seal with my ear canal, but not so wide that it's forced to rest on the outside.

That improvement in sound that came from a better seal cannot be understated. These are already really great-sounding TWS, but the better fit these tips gave completely opened up that bottom-end. Unfortunately, there's a bit of smearing in the upper midrange I'm going to have to account for somehow. Always a tradeoff, but it has me curious about the newer SpiralDot models for these guys.

Tl;dr - SpiralDots rock for the JBL Club Pro+ with my ears. Nice, punchy sound that has weight behind it and doesn't completely saturate the midrange. Obviously this won't be a Harman Target anymore. Just a bummer they're not case-compatible, but I highly suggest you find a way to make it work.

---

If you have fitment issues like mine and want to stick to TWS-compatible tips only, it seems like any horn-shaped and long-bore tip will benefit. I also tried the E-Pro tips that came with the NFP on the JBL. Wonky fit on the nozzle, but very successful seal in the ear and it will fit in the case. Enough so that I'd recommend them over the Final at this point. Hopefully they're not too hard to find.

Edit: Found 'em. Not too expensive, either.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2021 at 2:53 AM Post #32,409 of 62,456
A couple hours later and I can definitively say that I'm so glad I kept these JBL around. Those EPro tips keep these things completely locked in, without feeling like a vacuum (SpinFit-style), since I made that last post. Seriously, they don't move.

It was such a treat not having to struggle to hear everything in this rendition:

Even got a little bit of the body resonance from one of the violins. That was pretty cool. Doesn't do horns like the Technics can, but it comes pretty close.

And if I can keep sound this good, with shells these light, and now not have that pain issue in the notch, these become absolute stunners again. Just took a set of $5 eartips.

I hope JBL considers this as something worth addressing in a future revision. Don't want to cheap out on the tips, guys.

Apr 26, 2021 at 3:09 AM Post #32,410 of 62,456
WOW! I am gone of this thread for a few days, and everyone is getting their shiny new P17's, and MT has a significant FW update drop.

As to that (the FW update) I updated mine as soon as I read about it, and it went flawlessly. Not that I have any issues to begin with. I can't believe how much better they sound than they did when I first got them, and then again on the last FW update (where I swear they changed the tuning also). They still have an enormous amount of bass, but with the mids better balanced, and the treble just short of airy, it is totally not bothersome, and I also (like many of you have said) don't need any EQ now.

I would love to hear what the P17 sound like, but I think I shall not have that chance. I will never pay that kind of money for something as "disposable" as TWS no matter how good they sound. If, as @miserybeforethemusic suggests (and others), they made the battery either user replaceable or at least serviceable for a nominal fee, I would definitely pay good money for a good product. I won't promote companies building in "planned obsolescence" if I can avoid doing so. Though, it IS getting harder to have anything decent that doesn't have that goal in mind. It is almost as if every contemporary tech company has a sign suggesting this very thing posted at the entrance to the board room.

I think I just may stick with the current ones I have atm, and see where things go. At this point the ones I have sound good enough (though not the audiophile grade I would love to see) that it will need to be a pretty sizeable jump for me to buy-in. I say that now, but who knows, in a month I may buy something new.... lol After all, I am as much of a junkie as all of you are on here... :)

Apr 26, 2021 at 4:04 AM Post #32,411 of 62,456
Here is more clarity from B&W:

“Apologies Timothy, I misunderstood your original question.
As with all Bluetooth headphones, it's the source that sets the transmission codeq. So if the buds directly connect to an iPhone it will be using AAC.
If the phone or tablet is Aptx HD compatible the buds will directly connect using Aptx-HD.
To have the full quality of Aptx Adaptive you need a compatible phone which gives you the potential of 24bit 48Khz. In that case the buds would connect using Aptx Adaptive.
I’ve attached a spec sheet so you can see all the codeqs you can use.
I think the journalists are misunderstanding the purpose of the case. Primarily its for air travel which is why you get a 3.5mm jack to USB-C cable in the box and there’s an ADC in the case itself.
You can also connect it digitally and there’s also a USB—C to USB-C cable in the box. This can be used for connecting to MACs etc. The output of the case is fixed at Aptx LL which in theory is higher quality than AAC. But the benefit of the case is convenience.”

I will contact our American colleagues and ask them to get CNET to correct the review”

Interesting. But the PX7, at least currently, does not support AptX LL and is advertised and shown in the PI7 manual as being able to connect to the PI7 case when in retransmission mode. So unless the case, in this particular use scenario, starts putting out standard AptX or AptX HD, I don't see how it would be a LL connection unless the devices are using adaptive to talk to each other.

Would be great if they clarified this specific point, since frankly using the case to bring a LL option to my PX7 when using a computer is an extremely compelling benefit that makes me feel a lot better about my intention to purchase the PI7.

Edit: It might also mean the PX7 is getting a firmware update to add AptX LL support (which would be lovely)

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2021 at 4:33 AM Post #32,412 of 62,456
KZ just officially released the AZ09. Only available in QDC connection. Initial price is at 28 USD (Lazada PH). We can expect this to go down on some shops/stores depending on the online platform. I should receive my unit this week and will be able to give you guys an initial impression.

I also see it on Amazon now for 23.99 USD. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09292MSTF/ref=twister_B08BR7S98H?_encoding=UTF8&th=1

https://www.lazada.com.ph/products/...o4l.searchlist.list.3.40bf5f70HuZMKn&search=1

1619399919974.png
1619399953480.png
1619399989927.png
1619400030042.png
1619400049876.png

Such a shame that they don't support APTX! But for the price I'm sure it's a great purchase.

Apr 26, 2021 at 7:05 AM Post #32,413 of 62,456
I don't know if posted before, but Melomania Touch got new fw update on April 21st. Here's changelog
21st April 2021

(v1.4.2)

Updates:

• Auto-connect is now quicker, at around 6 seconds.
  • Optimised power-off consistency when the earphones are placed in the charging case.
  • Earphones no longer automatically power off after 60 minutes of use on voice calls on a Windows 10 laptop/PC.
  • The current Audio Mode is now correctly displayed in the Melomania App.
  • During a system reset, the earphones return to the previous peer connection after 60 seconds, if a new connection is not found.
  • System reset optimised.
To me they also tweaked sound, it seems to me they tamed down mid bass and raised mids. I hear more clarity and less boom

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2021 at 10:25 AM Post #32,414 of 62,456
Interesting. But the PX7, at least currently, does not support AptX LL and is advertised and shown in the PI7 manual as being able to connect to the PI7 case when in retransmission mode. So unless the case, in this particular use scenario, starts putting out standard AptX or AptX HD, I don't see how it would be a LL connection unless the devices are using adaptive to talk to each other.

Would be great if they clarified this specific point, since frankly using the case to bring a LL option to my PX7 when using a computer is an extremely compelling benefit that makes me feel a lot better about my intention to purchase the PI7.

Edit: It might also mean the PX7 is getting a firmware update to add AptX LL support (which would be lovely)
According to B&W website and User Manual, the PX7 does support AptX Adaptive. I was checking as thinking of purchasing myself.

Apr 26, 2021 at 10:27 AM Post #32,415 of 62,456
WOW! I am gone of this thread for a few days, and everyone is getting their shiny new P17's, and MT has a significant FW update drop.

As to that (the FW update) I updated mine as soon as I read about it, and it went flawlessly. Not that I have any issues to begin with. I can't believe how much better they sound than they did when I first got them, and then again on the last FW update (where I swear they changed the tuning also). They still have an enormous amount of bass, but with the mids better balanced, and the treble just short of airy, it is totally not bothersome, and I also (like many of you have said) don't need any EQ now.

I would love to hear what the P17 sound like, but I think I shall not have that chance. I will never pay that kind of money for something as "disposable" as TWS no matter how good they sound. If, as @miserybeforethemusic suggests (and others), they made the battery either user replaceable or at least serviceable for a nominal fee, I would definitely pay good money for a good product. I won't promote companies building in "planned obsolescence" if I can avoid doing so. Though, it IS getting harder to have anything decent that doesn't have that goal in mind. It is almost as if every contemporary tech company has a sign suggesting this very thing posted at the entrance to the board room.

I think I just may stick with the current ones I have atm, and see where things go. At this point the ones I have sound good enough (though not the audiophile grade I would love to see) that it will need to be a pretty sizeable jump for me to buy-in. I say that now, but who knows, in a month I may buy something new.... lol After all, I am as much of a junkie as all of you are on here... :)
I don't see user replaceable batteries coming back any time soon. I used to only buy phones that had replaceable batteries but then realized companies will find other ways to make the phones obsolete, such as not supporting an older Android version and, therefore, your apps stop working. I think TWS will end up with a similar upgrade path as cell phones and we may see more mobile phone companies (manufacturers or service providers) bundle them or even finance them on monthly plans. Not an expert on the subject but that is my opinion at least.

As for pricing, I assume (only my own assumption) the pricing was meant to be in line with their over-ear options. Maybe people are replacing their batteries on the larger over-ear versions but I always saw those as "disposable" as well since by the time I need a new battery, a new model will be out and I will probably want the new version anyway. I have a bunch of TWS, headphones and even two pairs of wired non-bluetooth B&W P5s (v1 and S2 were my old travel headphones because I actually don't really care for ANC) that I just don't use anymore because something new (i.e. the ES100 which, still works perfectly but, has been replaced by the Qudelix 5K) came along and the old ones ended up back in their box and now collect dust in a closet. A few years ago, a friend who was recently helping me replace a 9 year old PC told me I should not expect anything, including my desktop PC, to last me more than 5 years anymore. Sure enough, I just bought a new laptop (no user replaceable battery).

Yes, the PI7s have terrible battery life but they are packed with features that many of us have been asking for and hopefully the tech gets better in the next iteration. Unfortunately, too many of us, including myself, don't want to wait that long and are ok paying the "early adopter tax" B&W knows their market and seems to have done a good job with this one given places like Crutchfield sold out pretty quickly and most online authorized retailers only have preorders right now. I even bought one with no return policy (couldn't resist at that price).

Sorry for this post getting so long but I don't think this problem of everything being disposable is unique to TWS and, in my opinion, if you buy what you can afford out of your disposable income, then I don't see anything wrong with that as long as it makes you happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back