Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Dec 12, 2018 at 2:18 PM Post #2,851 of 62,515
Possibly? Because your experience with the E8 isn't anything even resembling mine. I also can't turn the e8 up to full volume. This is about as loud as I put it (and given the album it should be clear I like loud music):

KJNGn9Ql.png

I cannot turn them up the whole way and the EQ is so effective for me that I end up being super, super particular about where I put it. Dunno what's up. Pixel 3XL.

It's just so weird. All though they sound totally different neither pair of E8s I have owned would ever be called "bassy" or "loud" by anyone.

I am going to see if I can find someone with an Android device and see if they'll let me install the B&O App.

Dec 12, 2018 at 2:20 PM Post #2,852 of 62,515

Turn up the volume at the start, and test the bass drum kicks yourself.

I just tried this with my MTW. Sounds Crystal clear my friend. Me thinks something going on with your source. Just put comply truegrip on as well. Nice improvement. Edit: actually the comply really change things up for the better. Fuller sound. I took the advice above and bumped the EQ toward treble about 1/3 of the way and straight up. I think I've found the magic sauce for the MTW.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2018 at 2:43 PM Post #2,853 of 62,515
Huh. I have a hard time even hearing the difference unless I really turn the E8s up to full volume (which isn't super loud, BTW) and listen carefully. In practice it's roughly like one notch on an EQ slider in total, if that.

I had my wife try and she agreed - so it's not my ears.

In contrast, the MTW's EQ all the way up or all the way down sounds bad to the point of being hilarious, even more so than a typical EQ would. Bottom center produces an over-the-top V shaped sound - all low bass and high treble, no mids. Top center opposite.

On the E8, fully to "Excited" brings things like cymbals forward just a touch but that's really it. Warm puts them back a touch. Relaxed muddies things slightly. Bright enhances sibilance. All to an almost unnoticeable degree.

Was the same on the first set of E8s I had.

So could it be the source? I'm mainly on an iPhone XS and sometimes an iPad Pro 2015. Listening to Spotify, YouTube, Apple Music, and Soma.

I use an iPhone8 and also the iPad Pro 10.5 and there is no way I could listen at full volume, I get to 60 perhaps 70 % in very noisy situations and beyond that it would kill my ears

Dec 12, 2018 at 2:46 PM Post #2,854 of 62,515
I just tried this with my MTW. Sounds Crystal clear my friend. Me thinks something going on with your source. Just put comply truegrip on as well. Nice improvement. Edit: actually the comply really change things up for the better. Fuller sound. I took the advice above and bumped the EQ toward treble about 1/3 of the way and straight up. I think I've found the magic sauce for the MTW.

Yeah, that bump up and to the left really helps. I tried the complys I use for my e8 ("isolation" with the sweat guard - they fit) and wasn't wowed. Do you think the true grips being shorter help?

Dec 12, 2018 at 2:50 PM Post #2,856 of 62,515
Did you turn up the volume to minimum 2/3? (or even higher?)

It can't be my sources. Tried Macbook Pro, iPhone, Avantree Leaf AptX dongle etc
SBC always distortion
AAC/AptX left channel on MTWs (Crystal clear on all others)

What's your source when testing?

Screenshot of EQ settings?

Dec 12, 2018 at 2:57 PM Post #2,857 of 62,515
Did you turn up the volume to minimum 2/3? (or even higher?)

It can't be my sources. Tried Macbook Pro, iPhone, Avantree Leaf AptX dongle etc
SBC always distortion
AAC/AptX left channel on MTWs (Crystal clear on all others)

What's your source when testing?

Screenshot of EQ settings?

I did not turn up that loud. My old tinnitus filled ears can't handle that. IPhone XS Max. EQ is up about 1/2 inch and right 1/2 inch to brighten up the sound.

Dec 12, 2018 at 3:01 PM Post #2,858 of 62,515
If you use Spotify, can you give me a sample track that would hurt your ears at full volume?

I only play Audible audio books and local 320kb aac files and on the iPad films from the iTunes store. In normal ambient noise I never get over about 60%

Dec 12, 2018 at 4:35 PM Post #2,861 of 62,515
Out of curiosity I went through Amazon Japan's reviews of the Audio Technica CKR7TW to find out what folks were saying and it looks like some mixed reviews so far (current overall review score is 3/5 stars). Using Google translate, from what I could gather the sound signature tends to be bright and light on bass. There are also several reports of significant lag, so using them to watch videos might be a chore. While I'm taking these reviews with a grain of salt (especially with the language barrier), it's not looking promising.

There's definitely not enough reviews yet to reach any conclusion and most of them are complaining about audio lag like you said, which is bad but not a deal breaker for me. I still have high hopes for it in terms of SQ but not sure I want to wait until end of April. I hope someone from this forum gets its hands on a pair and makes a more detailed review soon...

Dec 12, 2018 at 4:44 PM Post #2,863 of 62,515
It depends on whether you would feel liberated enough by no wires to have trade offs primarily trades offs on SQ and battery life. True wireless is a step behind the best BT IEMS still in those two categories. I haven't tried them all but the MW07 comes closest on sound. To me anyway, the MTW is a bit of a disappointment on the SQ. They seem to lack some high end sparkle and I think that's what's missing most to me. For on the go listening and gym use, I'm going TW from here on out because the form factor is awesome. The SQ gap is small and I don't need extended battery for most of my usage. If I'm listening at home, I'm going full size cans. Here is a though: (1) TW for true portable needs and the gym; (2) a decent chi-fi wired IEM plus the Radstone ES100 for times when you want some better SQ on the go and (3) full size cans for critical listening. The Radstone ES100 plus wired IEM's is almost the equivalent of a "corded" BT IEM and opens the door to much better sound.

My focus would be primarily on SQ, True Wireless is definitely more convenient but I'd prefer a normal BT IEM if the SQ is really that superior. Any recommendations for BT IEMs until $300? The Shure 215 seems like a good option but compared to the Senn Momentum IE I don't think I'd feel much of a difference and I was hoping my next purchase would be an upgrade in terms of quality... not an easy decision anyway....

Dec 12, 2018 at 5:00 PM Post #2,864 of 62,515
My focus would be primarily on SQ, True Wireless is definitely more convenient but I'd prefer a normal BT IEM if the SQ is really that superior. Any recommendations for BT IEMs until $300? The Shure 215 seems like a good option but compared to the Senn Momentum IE I don't think I'd feel much of a difference and I was hoping my next purchase would be an upgrade in terms of quality... not an easy decision anyway....

You probably won't do better per se. Maybe different. RHA MA750 and VModa Forza metallo wireless come to mind. You might check out the RBH BT IEM which includes LDAC but reviews on SQ are meh. I've had both the RHA and VModa - I preferred the VModa slightly. The Beoplay H6 (I think) sits at $300 and is supposed to sound nice. Good luck.

Dec 12, 2018 at 5:20 PM Post #2,865 of 62,515
You probably won't do better per se. Maybe different. RHA MA750 and VModa Forza metallo wireless come to mind. You might check out the RBH BT IEM which includes LDAC but reviews on SQ are meh. I've had both the RHA and VModa - I preferred the VModa slightly. The Beoplay H6 (I think) sits at $300 and is supposed to sound nice. Good luck.

The H6 is over-ear and I'm fine with my ATH-M40x but the TW BeoPlay E8 is on sale for 169EUR! For something that launched but 299, the price is tempting and suspicious at the same time. I've read mixed reviews about it in this forum, some people like it a lot, some people had really bad experience with it.... but man, for 169... sounds like a great deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back