Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Dec 12, 2018 at 8:05 AM Post #2,836 of 62,241
That's one odd "review", hehe...What he describes of the sound reminds me a bit of the Havit G1, same price category too. He doesn't say much about isolation though ?

Dec 12, 2018 at 10:18 AM Post #2,837 of 62,241
Out of curiosity I went through Amazon Japan's reviews of the Audio Technica CKR7TW to find out what folks were saying and it looks like some mixed reviews so far (current overall review score is 3/5 stars). Using Google translate, from what I could gather the sound signature tends to be bright and light on bass. There are also several reports of significant lag, so using them to watch videos might be a chore. While I'm taking these reviews with a grain of salt (especially with the language barrier), it's not looking promising.

Dec 12, 2018 at 10:31 AM Post #2,839 of 62,241
This is like, the exact opposite of my experience. I have to be really careful with the B&O app because even a nudge in a given direction makes the sound colossally different. If it's in the dead center ("off" I guess) then it sounds like a completely different set. I can't put it at the extremes or it turns ridiculous.

Yes I also find the E8 app EQ able to produce quit big changes

Huh. I have a hard time even hearing the difference unless I really turn the E8s up to full volume (which isn't super loud, BTW) and listen carefully. In practice it's roughly like one notch on an EQ slider in total, if that.

I had my wife try and she agreed - so it's not my ears.

In contrast, the MTW's EQ all the way up or all the way down sounds bad to the point of being hilarious, even more so than a typical EQ would. Bottom center produces an over-the-top V shaped sound - all low bass and high treble, no mids. Top center opposite.

On the E8, fully to "Excited" brings things like cymbals forward just a touch but that's really it. Warm puts them back a touch. Relaxed muddies things slightly. Bright enhances sibilance. All to an almost unnoticeable degree.

Was the same on the first set of E8s I had.

So could it be the source? I'm mainly on an iPhone XS and sometimes an iPad Pro 2015. Listening to Spotify, YouTube, Apple Music, and Soma.

Dec 12, 2018 at 11:40 AM Post #2,841 of 62,241
I got a new set of Senn' MTWs today. Sorry to say... Exactly the same "flaws" on new set... :triportsad:
Crackle on right with the earlier attached examples.

Metallic reverberation/noise/distortion/cling/ringing on bass drum kicks on left. Only on left with AAC and AptX, on both channels with SBC codec.
As stated several times, all of my other BT headsets have this with SBC, but clean on AAC/AptX.

Those of you who tested this... didn't you have the chance to test with different codecs, didn't you play loud enough or are you deaf? :wink: (no offence, just a little frustrated)

Does the MTWs have some kind of codec issue? It isn't possible that the left speaker is SBC, and the right is AAC/AptX? :astonished: :D

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2018 at 11:57 AM Post #2,843 of 62,241
I got a new set of Senn' MTWs today. Sorry to say... Exactly the same "flaws" on new set... :triportsad:

Metallic reverberation/noise/distortion/cling/ringing on bass drum kicks on left. Only on left with AAC and AptX, on both channels with SBC codec.
As stated several times, all of my other BT headsets have this with SBC, but clean on AAC/AptX.

Those of you who tested this... didn't you have the chance to test with different codecs, didn't you play loud enough or are you deaf? :wink: (no offence, just a little frustrated)

Does the MTWs have some kind of codec issue? It isn't possible that the left speaker is SBC, and the right is AAC/AptX? :astonished: :D

Happy to do it, but my only devices are iPad and iPhone and I don't know how to change codecs. I can do it on my home PC but it doesn't have bluetooth (desktop) and my company laptop has bluetooth disabled due to corporate paranoia.

EDIT - FWIW, on that last sample I hear it on the HK computer speakers directly connected to said paranoid laptop. Also when connected to the Sony stereo in my office. Both sides. The early drumbeats crackle.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2018 at 12:08 PM Post #2,844 of 62,241
Someone on here had a pair coming from Japan. Any updates?

Mine were delayed as I'm waiting for someone travelling from Japan to get it here. But good news, it will arrive soon, later this week. :)

Dec 12, 2018 at 12:11 PM Post #2,845 of 62,241
Happy to do it, but my only devices are iPad and iPhone and I don't know how to change codecs. I can do it on my home PC but it doesn't have bluetooth (desktop) and my company laptop has bluetooth disabled due to corporate paranoia.

EDIT - FWIW, on that last sample I hear it on the HK computer speakers directly connected to said paranoid laptop. Also when connected to the Sony stereo in my office. Both sides. The early drumbeats crackle.
Ok, thanks for trying.
It's not a crackle as the one on the right.
I have not this noise/distortion on my stereo (HTPC connected to Yamaha receiver and cabled front speakers)

I can't find other words than what I wrote to describe it. (Metallic reverberation/noise/distortion/cling/ringing that follow the bass kick/beat)
I'm sure you you'd hear it when you first listen with AAC/AptX and then SBC or the other way round. (with other BT headphones than the MTWs :) )

Dec 12, 2018 at 12:19 PM Post #2,846 of 62,241

I used a Macbook Pro, where I switched through the three codecs.
Even the Sony WH-1000MX3 has the noise with SBC, but clean as a wistle with AAC/AptX

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2018 at 1:37 PM Post #2,848 of 62,241
Don't know if this is related, but by accident I noticed that I could have my MTW play while in the case "charging" if I took both buds out, then while playing music put one back in the case. They both continue to play as long as they're close enough together. Then when I put the second one in the case, they both still played music sitting in the case. They also did not charge until I plugged the USB-C cable.

On the plus side, after this happened they now seem to keep the exact same charge level in the app, plus or minus a percent. Prior to this, after at least 10 minutes use from a full charge, the app always told me the left one was about 10% lower than the right.

FWIW, on @SomeGuyDude 's thought about using the E8's app EQ feature to "waken" the sound, I started playing with both apps. Now I have the MTW EQ about a third to the treble side and a third up and the MTWs sound better than the E8s in pretty much every way.

The E8's app EQ does very little IMO - just kind of little "tweaks" to the music, even at the extreme edges of the screen. Much less than the MTW app's EQ, which can totally alter the sound (to unlistenable levels) at the extremes.
This is like, the exact opposite of my experience. I have to be really careful with the B&O app because even a nudge in a given direction makes the sound colossally different. If it's in the dead center ("off" I guess) then it sounds like a completely different set. I can't put it at the extremes or it turns ridiculous.
Same experience here. The B&O app for me changes the sound rather drastically in any direction. This is not to say what the MTW app does or does not do, since I haven't actually had the MTW to test yet.

Dec 12, 2018 at 1:40 PM Post #2,849 of 62,241
Huh. I have a hard time even hearing the difference unless I really turn the E8s up to full volume (which isn't super loud, BTW) and listen carefully. In practice it's roughly like one notch on an EQ slider in total, if that.

I had my wife try and she agreed - so it's not my ears.

In contrast, the MTW's EQ all the way up or all the way down sounds bad to the point of being hilarious, even more so than a typical EQ would. Bottom center produces an over-the-top V shaped sound - all low bass and high treble, no mids. Top center opposite.

On the E8, fully to "Excited" brings things like cymbals forward just a touch but that's really it. Warm puts them back a touch. Relaxed muddies things slightly. Bright enhances sibilance. All to an almost unnoticeable degree.

Was the same on the first set of E8s I had.

So could it be the source? I'm mainly on an iPhone XS and sometimes an iPad Pro 2015. Listening to Spotify, YouTube, Apple Music, and Soma.

Possibly? Because your experience with the E8 isn't anything even resembling mine. I also can't turn the e8 up to full volume. This is about as loud as I put it (and given the album it should be clear I like loud music):

KJNGn9Ql.png

I cannot turn them up the whole way and the EQ is so effective for me that I end up being super, super particular about where I put it. Dunno what's up. Pixel 3XL.

Dec 12, 2018 at 1:41 PM Post #2,850 of 62,241
yup, but it does make want to try the Jlabs, just to make sure :dt880smile:. at least i can give it to relatives if i don't like it
Thinking the same thing here, actually. Christmas is coming up and I have some teens in the family that would like something like this (if I don't). A couple years back, I repackaged a Beats Solo2 I got that was past the return period and gave it as a gift. I was like, their hero, and they thought I was sooo generous! LOL! Man, I just couldn't return it and was too lazy to sell it, bruh!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back