Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Dec 10, 2018 at 7:33 PM Post #2,806 of 62,515
So, is no one else happy with the Senns? I am really pleased with them. I've not experienced the problems others have, though I've had a couple of issues unrelated, but noting that would make me return them. Best TWE I've owned so far, probably on par with the MW07's, I think the Jabras weren't that far behind to be honest. I tried the bose soundsport too, having owned a pair of soundsport wired bluetooth, though comfortable, I didn't click with them tbh.

Oh my Comply TrueGrip pros arrived, they make a massive MASSIVE different to the sound and also the hold. Really good.
How's the call quality on the MTW?

I'm thinking about picking up the Jabra 65t again and give those another shot. I know there are reports that there is a left side hiss, so I'll see if I can detect it. @SomeGuyDude, given you are one of the few to notice a difference in the mics on the E8, we likely have similar attention to nuance and hearing ranges. I'm tremendously OCD with my hobbies and imperfections drive me crazy.

Dec 10, 2018 at 7:58 PM Post #2,807 of 62,515
I cannot get 2 hours out of those puppies. All packed up and red-to-go. The Bose are a champ with battery life. The SC Push TW have an advertised 6 hour battery life, which is insane for a TW setup. We'll see, though, we'll see.

I got about 2.5-3 with the Sony, but the Bose are definitely battery champs of all the sets I've tried so far. Like the battery lasts long enough I just plain forget about it.

Dec 10, 2018 at 8:13 PM Post #2,808 of 62,515
Hey, basshead here, looking for true wireless IEMs.

My laundry list, in order of importance:
1) AptX-LL support for portable gaming (will be used for music and Nintendo Switch with AptX-LL transmitter)
2) basshead levels of sub-bass
3) wide codec support (AAC, AptX)
4) multiple connections (eg. phone and Switch)
5) wider codec support for future proofing (AptX-HD, LDAC)

It doesn't look like there are any true wireless IEMs that fulfill all of those things. The Sennheiser MTW are the closest?

I currently have the Sennheiser Momentum Free / HD1 Free (had I known the MTW were coming out, I wouldn't have bought the HD1 Free!). The MTW has the same codec support (AptX, AptX-LL, AAC) and loses the support for multiple connections (HD1 Free can connect to 2 devices), but it is true wireless and it should have better bass (and sound quality overall)? Anyone compared the two?

Otherwise I could just stick with the HD1 Free until someone makes one with all those features. I just fear the AptX-LL support is the downfall here - it seems to be a very niche feature that not many people are be interested in (not a useful feature for general music listening), so not many options with AptX-LL support. Particularly with AptX Adaptive coming out, the MTW may be first and last option!

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2018 at 8:57 PM Post #2,809 of 62,515
The codec thing is absolutely going to be your issue. Very, very few TWE do aptx-LL, and none that I know of do LDAC or aptX-HD. Basshead is likely doable with the EQs that a lot of these come with.

Dec 10, 2018 at 9:58 PM Post #2,810 of 62,515
The codec thing is absolutely going to be your issue. Very, very few TWE do aptx-LL, and none that I know of do LDAC or aptX-HD. Basshead is likely doable with the EQs that a lot of these come with.

Yeah, AptX-LL AND LDAC/AptX-HD is probably a pipedream! Have relegated LDAC/AptX-HD to the end of the list!

Even just AptX-LL and AAC is hard enough to find!!!

Dec 11, 2018 at 2:31 AM Post #2,812 of 62,515
Not to interrupt the fun here but after reading https://tinyurl.com/y7zdpfdx, my future hindsight tells me the answer to this thread's title is "no". The current technology is in the Palm Treo phase. I'll wait a year or so and see what comes.

From a quick google, it looks like that chip (QCC3026) only supports AptX Classic, while the premium chip (QCC5100) supports AptX Classic & AptXHD. Sigh...looks like AptX-LL may indeed be on the way out (at least in terms of true wireless IEMs)! :frowning2:

Dec 11, 2018 at 2:36 AM Post #2,813 of 62,515
I don't know if you remember the Samurai Buds I mentioned back a few pages ago on indiegogo I dont think they'll make their goal,. but they were planning to use the new qualcomm chip for a "true" wireless connection where both buds are master.

With regards to questions about the Senns: I have not tried the voice option on it, as I have not had any opportunity to do so. I'm not much of a talker as it is :D

I understand there was another question, but I've lost it now, I think it was the same thing? Voice clarity or quality?

Dec 11, 2018 at 1:42 PM Post #2,816 of 62,515
Fortunately that does seem the kinda thing they can fix with updates.

Still in love with the e8. Just... damn impressed. Glad I got them for $200, too. Makes keeping them a little easier.

Dec 11, 2018 at 2:26 PM Post #2,817 of 62,515
Fortunately that does seem the kinda thing they can fix with updates.

Still in love with the e8. Just... damn impressed. Glad I got them for $200, too. Makes keeping them a little easier.

Yes if it wasn’t for the relatively frequent short random left unit cut outs it would be near perfect for me but after having the G1 with rock solid connection I struggle to go back to the E8. Off cause the G1 is missing ambient mode, only has calls in the right ear and then the physical buttons minus volume control....

Dec 11, 2018 at 3:27 PM Post #2,818 of 62,515
OK, so grabbed a pair of the Skullcandy PUSH TW at Target on sale for $99 (normally $129). My feedback after using for about 4+ hours.

PROS
- Strong battery. Listed at 6 hours and I don't doubt somewhere in that range (depending on volume level, I'm normally at 40%).
- Sounds is solid and I rather enjoy it (I had to use my own standard "large" ear tips, see CONS below). I'm not going into this thinking they are the MW07 or B&O E8, but they are great for the gym or just going out. Emphasized bass with some added 10 kHz treble push. However, mids are not as recessed as you'd expect and the overall signature is warmer than neutral.
- Mic quality is much better than I was expecting. There are some artifacts here and there, but overall, my voice comes across clean & clear with good volume. It's not muffled by any means. By contrast, the Sony WF-SP700N was smoother, had about the same volume, but was a bit muffled.
- USB-C.
- Track & volume controls.

CONS
- Very plastic construction (earbuds and case).
- Case only holds 1 additional charge. It would have been nice to have at least 2 charges in the case.
- Stock ear tips are all small. The default tips are the largest, but they are a bit smaller than "normal" medium tips. The other pairs of tips are small and extra small.
- Target identifies it as "Black", but it's really a shimmering dark green (SC calls it "Psychotropical Teal") that kind of has a black sheen in certain angles/lighting. Pretty much a shimmering dark green. The other color was a "gray", appears closer to white when looking at photos (Target did not have that color in stock).

Overall, for $99, I think I'm going to keep them. They're better than the random Chi-Fi stuff I've tried at sub-$100 prices.

7.jpg

Dec 11, 2018 at 3:32 PM Post #2,819 of 62,515
OK, so grabbed a pair of the Skullcandy PUSH TW at Target on sale for $99 (normally $129). My feedback after using for about 4+ hours.

PROS
- Strong battery. Listed at 6 hours and I don't doubt somewhere in that range (depending on volume level, I'm normally at 40%).
- Sounds is solid and I rather enjoy it (I had to use my own standard "large" ear tips, see CONS below). I'm not going into this thinking they are the MW07 or B&O E8, but they are great for the gym or just going out. Emphasized bass with some added 10 kHz treble push. However, mids are not as recessed as you'd expect and the overall signature is warmer than neutral.
- Mic quality is much better than I was expecting. There are some artifacts here and there, but overall, my voice comes across clean & clear with good volume. It's not muffled by any means. By contrast, the Sony WF-SP700N was smoother, had about the same volume, but was a bit muffled.
- USB-C.
- Track & volume controls.

CONS
- Very plastic construction (earbuds and case).
- Case only holds 1 additional charge. It would have been nice to have at least 2 charges in the case.
- Stock ear tips are all small. The default tips are the largest, but they are a bit smaller than "normal" medium tips. The other pairs of tips are small and extra small.
- Target identifies it as "Black", but it's really a shimmering dark green (SC calls it "Psychotropical Teal") that kind of has a black sheen in certain angles/lighting. Pretty much a shimmering dark green. The other color was a "gray", appears closer to white when looking at photos (Target did not have that color in stock).

Overall, for $99, I think I'm going to keep them. They're better than the random Chi-Fi stuff I've tried at sub-$100 prices.

Look interesting and the fit reminds me of the Sony which is a good thing. Engadget ran a story saying they lack any waterproofing. So be careful at the gym. Seems like a stunning oversight given they look like gym friendly buds. At 99 look like a good deal. At 130 too much competition. The green looks acceptably dark and different. Not bad. You've got a lot of headphones man! What's your current favorite chifi iem?

Dec 11, 2018 at 3:46 PM Post #2,820 of 62,515
Look interesting and the fit reminds me of the Sony which is a good thing. Engadget ran a story saying they lack any waterproofing. So be careful at the gym. Seems like a stunning oversight given they look like gym friendly buds. At 99 look like a good deal. At 130 too much competition. The green looks acceptably dark and different. Not bad. You've got a lot of headphones man! What's your current favorite chifi iem?
I like the wired Tunai Drum. A little bassy, but it's really fun.

I picked up these recently, but they lack bass and had seriously poor imaging (left was far louder than right). Returned.

As far as the gym, I think the SCs will be fine if you don't sweat much and/or have long damp hair rubbing against the buds. At $99, shoot, if they go, then it's just an excuse to buy something else!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back