Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Dec 11, 2018 at 4:01 PM Post #2,821 of 62,515
So, is no one else happy with the Senns? I am really pleased with them. I've not experienced the problems others have, though I've had a couple of issues unrelated, but noting that would make me return them. Best TWE I've owned so far, probably on par with the MW07's, I think the Jabras weren't that far behind to be honest. I tried the bose soundsport too, having owned a pair of soundsport wired bluetooth, though comfortable, I didn't click with them tbh.

Oh my Comply TrueGrip pros arrived, they make a massive MASSIVE different to the sound and also the hold. Really good.

I've finally gotten a replacement pair (my first pair were defective). After a couple days (coming from the WF-1000X), I'd say I prefer the Sony's overall. SQ is pretty close, and Sony has better ergonomics for my ears. Hard to get a good seal with the Senn's, and their bulkiness is slightly uncomfortable over a while. I may give the comply's a try, once the truegrip pro are back in stock on amazon. But honestly, contemplating not keeping the Senn's.

The other side of the argument is that the Senn's have better battery life, way better wireless signal, and I like their touch controls better than Sony's physical buttons. However, Sony's charging case is more robust and has a better shape. And the Senn's are slippery in comparison (I've already dropped them a couple times). Don't get me wrong, the Senn's are good, but feel like the WF-1000X has more going for it.

Dec 11, 2018 at 5:03 PM Post #2,822 of 62,515
Well, my MTW randomly turned on today despite being in the case and about 50 feet away from me. This does not bode well. Multiple Bose soundsport frees did this to me and bose kept replacing them as defective. I have no idea why this may have happened. They were seated securely in the case and had not been used since Sunday. Ugh.

Dec 11, 2018 at 5:59 PM Post #2,823 of 62,515
Well, my MTW randomly turned on today despite being in the case and about 50 feet away from me. This does not bode well. Multiple Bose soundsport frees did this to me and bose kept replacing them as defective. I have no idea why this may have happened. They were seated securely in the case and had not been used since Sunday. Ugh.

I've had this problem happen with the Optoma BE Free8 and Rowkin Ascent Charge. Seems like a common problem with TW earbuds. Very annoying.

Dec 11, 2018 at 6:18 PM Post #2,825 of 62,515
Might be the phone, y'all. If it happens over multiple products, maybe consider the other half of the equation.

Dec 11, 2018 at 6:22 PM Post #2,826 of 62,515
Hey there, just landed on this awesome topic. I'm banging my head with this very same dilemma, trying to figure out if a normal bluetooth IEM is a better choice than a TW at the moment.

I'm very excited about the ATH-CKR7TW specs but with no proper review so far it's hard to make a decision, especially because I'd have to wait until 22nd of April to get it, according to AT's website.

I've tried the Senn MTW on their flagship store and to be honest was a bit disappointed. I'm a big fan of the Momentum in-ear, I have one myself (and honestly, for the actual price of 69EUR I think it's probably the best value for money for a wired in-ear nowadays) but the MTW sounded a bit too flat to me. Also, they might have somehow limited the volume to make the battery of the testing pair last longer (which sounds like a dumb move when you're trying to demo your product for potential customers) because it was way too low.

MW07 seems like a good option although the short battery life is a bummer. Earin M2 looks like a good deal but I can't find good reviews and it's simply impossible to find one for testing at any store.

At this point, I'm starting to consider some normal bluetooth IEMs, if I'm gonna spend 300 bucks on a new IEM, they better sound accordingly. Not sure the premium price for being TW is worth. Thoughts?

Dec 11, 2018 at 6:31 PM Post #2,827 of 62,515
Hey there, just landed on this awesome topic. I'm banging my head with this very same dilemma, trying to figure out if a normal bluetooth IEM is a better choice than a TW at the moment.

I'm very excited about the ATH-CKR7TW specs but with no proper review so far it's hard to make a decision, especially because I'd have to wait until 22nd of April to get it, according to AT's website.

I've tried the Senn MTW on their flagship store and to be honest was a bit disappointed. I'm a big fan of the Momentum in-ear, I have one myself (and honestly, for the actual price of 69EUR I think it's probably the best value for money for a wired in-ear nowadays) but the MTW sounded a bit too flat to me. Also, they might have somehow limited the volume to make the battery of the testing pair last longer (which sounds like a dumb move when you're trying to demo your product for potential customers) because it was way too low.

MW07 seems like a good option although the short battery life is a bummer. Earin M2 looks like a good deal but I can't find good reviews and it's simply impossible to find one for testing at any store.

At this point, I'm starting to consider some normal bluetooth IEMs, if I'm gonna spend 300 bucks on a new IEM, they better sound accordingly. Not sure the premium price for being TW is worth. Thoughts?

It depends on whether you would feel liberated enough by no wires to have trade offs primarily trades offs on SQ and battery life. True wireless is a step behind the best BT IEMS still in those two categories. I haven't tried them all but the MW07 comes closest on sound. To me anyway, the MTW is a bit of a disappointment on the SQ. They seem to lack some high end sparkle and I think that's what's missing most to me. For on the go listening and gym use, I'm going TW from here on out because the form factor is awesome. The SQ gap is small and I don't need extended battery for most of my usage. If I'm listening at home, I'm going full size cans. Here is a though: (1) TW for true portable needs and the gym; (2) a decent chi-fi wired IEM plus the Radstone ES100 for times when you want some better SQ on the go and (3) full size cans for critical listening. The Radstone ES100 plus wired IEM's is almost the equivalent of a "corded" BT IEM and opens the door to much better sound.

Dec 11, 2018 at 7:04 PM Post #2,828 of 62,515
And unacceptable on a $300 product. I wonder if it bears some relation to the battery in the case dying slowly over time.
Don't know if this is related, but by accident I noticed that I could have my MTW play while in the case "charging" if I took both buds out, then while playing music put one back in the case. They both continue to play as long as they're close enough together. Then when I put the second one in the case, they both still played music sitting in the case. They also did not charge until I plugged the USB-C cable.

On the plus side, after this happened they now seem to keep the exact same charge level in the app, plus or minus a percent. Prior to this, after at least 10 minutes use from a full charge, the app always told me the left one was about 10% lower than the right.

FWIW, on @SomeGuyDude 's thought about using the E8's app EQ feature to "waken" the sound, I started playing with both apps. Now I have the MTW EQ about a third to the treble side and a third up and the MTWs sound better than the E8s in pretty much every way.

The E8's app EQ does very little IMO - just kind of little "tweaks" to the music, even at the extreme edges of the screen. Much less than the MTW app's EQ, which can totally alter the sound (to unlistenable levels) at the extremes.

Dec 11, 2018 at 7:33 PM Post #2,829 of 62,515
The E8's app EQ does very little IMO - just kind of little "tweaks" to the music, even at the extreme edges of the screen. Much less than the MTW app's EQ, which can totally alter the sound (to unlistenable levels) at the extremes.

This is like, the exact opposite of my experience. I have to be really careful with the B&O app because even a nudge in a given direction makes the sound colossally different. If it's in the dead center ("off" I guess) then it sounds like a completely different set. I can't put it at the extremes or it turns ridiculous.

Dec 11, 2018 at 8:16 PM Post #2,830 of 62,515
I duno if I would go back to wired headphones again, I mean bluetooth is only going to get better, or will be replaced by like better tech, and the result will be better performance, and hopefully sound quality to. I think anyone grabbing a pair in the last year or two are guinea pig testing these devices. The tech isn't quite there yet, because each tw seems to have it's own quirks or flaws. It should be pretty mature I hope in the next couple of years, and the senns' will do me find for those years I think. Its like one day being bold then having free flowing locks again. like some stallion

Dec 11, 2018 at 10:03 PM Post #2,831 of 62,515
saw this on youtube, a review of the Jlab Jbuds air, and he thinks that it is better sounding than the Sennheiser. it is his personal opinion, but worth to consider

Dec 12, 2018 at 1:42 AM Post #2,832 of 62,515
This is like, the exact opposite of my experience. I have to be really careful with the B&O app because even a nudge in a given direction makes the sound colossally different. If it's in the dead center ("off" I guess) then it sounds like a completely different set. I can't put it at the extremes or it turns ridiculous.

Yes I also find the E8 app EQ able to produce quit big changes

Dec 12, 2018 at 6:42 AM Post #2,833 of 62,515
saw this on youtube, a review of the Jlab Jbuds air, and he thinks that it is better sounding than the Sennheiser. it is his personal opinion, but worth to consider

While I'm not saying his opinion isn't valid given that I haven't heard either product, the idea that JLab, not exactly a company known for their high-end products, made a $50 TWE that sounds better than Sennheiser's $300 one strikes me as... unlikely.

Dec 12, 2018 at 6:55 AM Post #2,834 of 62,515
While I'm not saying his opinion isn't valid given that I haven't heard either product, the idea that JLab, not exactly a company known for their high-end products, made a $50 TWE that sounds better than Sennheiser's $300 one strikes me as... unlikely.

yup, but it does make want to try the Jlabs, just to make sure :dt880smile:. at least i can give it to relatives if i don't like it

Dec 12, 2018 at 7:33 AM Post #2,835 of 62,515
If the JLab buds have the same drivers as the new epic air then I can say they sound very good but not as good as the senns. They are fun sounding with boosted bass. At 50 they would be a great option however.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back