Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Sep 4, 2020 at 5:15 AM Post #25,471 of 62,389
Thanks for the impressions!
So it isn't the same device as the TRN BT20S with the bad hiss.

I wonder would it be more cost effective to use a 2 pin to MMCX adapter such as this:
Capture.PNG

Rather than buy their $8 modular thingy. I bought these adapters at $2 for 1 pair on Aliexpress, and it works with the iBasso CF01, doesn't seem to degrade sound quality.

definitely more cost effective, but I also consider that it would add extra length of the end connector, so it could potentially make it uncomfortable on the ears with certain IEMs.

Sep 4, 2020 at 5:16 AM Post #25,472 of 62,389
Thanks for the impressions!
So it isn't the same device as the TRN BT20S with the bad hiss.

I wonder would it be more cost effective to use a 2 pin to MMCX adapter such as this:
Capture.PNG

Rather than buy their $8 modular thingy. I bought these adapters at $2 for 1 pair on Aliexpress, and it works with the iBasso CF01, doesn't seem to degrade sound quality.

I wish they also did the connectors straight style instead of angled. Would work better with certain IEMs & Earbuds.

Like this (these are not real):
Screenshot_20200904-015553 (1).jpg
Screenshot_20200904-015535.jpg

Exactly my point to use set of available wire option to go wireless.

Yeah, if you've already got a set of wired IEMs that meet your sound requirements but want to go wireless the BT20/BT20S & BT20S Pro are good options.

With the caveats of not having the same ease of carry/pocketability, possibly less overall battery life (older models without charging case), poorer call quality and not having the fancier features (like ANC, Ambient, Auto-pause, etc).

If you just want to make a good pair of IEMs usable sans cord, they definitely work well for that.

Sep 4, 2020 at 5:36 AM Post #25,473 of 62,389
The tips on the bold are oval. The widest on the X Axis pictured in yellow is 4.7mm, the tallest on the Y axis is 6.9mm.
53E58AB8-03E7-40F0-975F-B6FB4825E09A.jpeg
B8BC7107-EB97-45CD-AA8F-478E8070447C.jpeg
Facetune_03-09-2020-19-18-35.jpg

The way the bud is angled means it sits neatly at the angle it needs to further back within your ear to maximise the microphone usability, given its an outside mic that isn't on the end of a stem, send sound waves in the natural direction through the ear canal and not put pressure on your concha.

It means I have to use smaller tips on these than I would other earbuds that sit further back, and can't use foam tips as that would be uncomfortable - it's the total opposite design to the likes of the tozo nc9 or Spunky beats which squeeze into your concha. At first I thought what the hell are they doing?! None of my foam tips fit. Then I found foam tips that did fit, but they sounded worse.

Once I got the loupe out and saw the oval I figured out why they had designed them this way and went back to using the stock medium tips, and they are perfect. It makes them really comfortable for all day use and is a little design feature that differentiates them from the rest of the chifi crowd, as the only other buds I've seen use this design are Klipsch and I think it was Panasonic IIRC. It's a brave move by Tronsmart but there is reasoning behind it and it works well for me at least. Just don't try shoving these things into your ear canal as even if it is wide enough, it will be uncomfortable both ergonomically and audibly. Also, without the right tips, I suspect the sound bouncing around the pinnae is causing the reports of over-heavy bass.
Thank you very much for sharing this info! I was wondering what the size should I request. Just understand when I see you pics haha! I also got the size from our PM about Bold.
@Laethageal I got this one from our PM, but this is on the paper you know. I think @regancipher did good job! The error range is accetpable!
1599212119500.png

Sep 4, 2020 at 5:56 AM Post #25,474 of 62,389
Not sure if this is the correct thread, but I'll give it a try. :)

Recently I bought a pair of wireless over-ear ANC headphones for daily usage. After trying out a lot of different ones I settled for the Shure AONIC 50.
Their sound is really flat/neutral, which I like a lot since I'm listening to classical music mostly. The ANC is pretty good and the overall package is quite nice. For daily usage they're too big for me though. Since the alternatives aren't good for what I'm looking for and the on-ears are weird, I thought about checking out some earbuds. I don't like the IEMs which go deep into the ear, I'm looking for actual "old school" earbuds (with foam) or something like "semi-in-ear" like the Air Pods Pro.

Can anyone please suggest something I could take a look at? I'll list a few things I would like to have:
  • Neutral sound (I really like the ones of the Shure AONIC 50)
  • Doesn't have to be full wireless (a cable between the earbuds is fine)
  • Android user here, so aptX HD or LDAC would be nice
  • ANC
Thanks in advance.

Sep 4, 2020 at 6:24 AM Post #25,475 of 62,389
Not sure if this is the correct thread, but I'll give it a try. :)

Recently I bought a pair of wireless over-ear ANC headphones for daily usage. After trying out a lot of different ones I settled for the Shure AONIC 50.
Their sound is really flat/neutral, which I like a lot since I'm listening to classical music mostly. The ANC is pretty good and the overall package is quite nice. For daily usage they're too big for me though. Since the alternatives aren't good for what I'm looking for and the on-ears are weird, I thought about checking out some earbuds. I don't like the IEMs which go deep into the ear, I'm looking for actual "old school" earbuds (with foam) or something like "semi-in-ear" like the Air Pods Pro.

Can anyone please suggest something I could take a look at? I'll list a few things I would like to have:
  • Neutral sound (I really like the ones of the Shure AONIC 50)
  • Doesn't have to be full wireless (a cable between the earbuds is fine)
  • Android user here, so aptX HD or LDAC would be nice
  • ANC
Thanks in advance.

Probably nothing 'flat' neutral in TWS form. Harman neutral like the AKG N400 & Samsung Buds+.

No aptx-hd or ldac for TWS, the bandwidth and chipsets aren't there yet for it. AAC & APT-X if well implemented do a good job though.

The majority are IEM style. For semi in ear or earbud style the current decent ones are:

Sabbat X12 pro (AAC) possibly closest to neutral.
Sabbat X12 Ultra (APT-X/AAC) boosted bass and somewhat V shaped.
Samsung Buds Live - colder tonality but surprisingly decent for having zero seal. ANC barely cuts out humming or droning to a minor degree, to be expected with no seal.

I've have/had all 3.

I like earbuds more than IEMs for most of my listening use.

If you want better quality sound I would recommend pairing a good detachable earbud like a Smabat ST-10 or ST-10S and a TWS adapter like the BT20S/BT20S pro or Fiio UTWS1 (if volume control needed).

Or use something like the Quedelix 5k, Fiio BTR3K or Radsone ES100 and earbuds of choice. These may support APT-X HD & LDAC as they have a bigger better SoC.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2020 at 7:04 AM Post #25,476 of 62,389
Probably nothing 'flat' neutral in TWS form. Harman neutral like the AKG N400 & Samsung Buds+.

No aptx-hd or ldac for TWS, the bandwidth and chipsets aren't there yet for it. AAC & APT-X if well implemented do a good job though.

The majority are IEM style. For semi in ear or earbud style the current decent ones are:

Sabbat X12 pro (AAC) possibly closest to neutral.
Sabbat X12 Ultra (APT-X/AAC) boosted bass and somewhat V shaped.
Samsung Buds Live - colder tonality but surprisingly decent for having zero seal. ANC barely cuts out humming or droning to a minor degree, to be expected with no seal.

I've have/had all 3.

I like earbuds more than IEMs for most of my listening use.

If you want better quality sound I would recommend pairing a good detachable earbud like a Smabat ST-10 or ST-10S and a TWS adapter like the BT20S/BT20S pro or Fiio UTWS1 (if volume control needed).

Or use something like the Quedelix 5k, Fiio BTR3K or Radsone ES100 and earbuds of choice. These may support APT-X HD & LDAC as they have a bigger better SoC.
Thanks a lot for that nice and fast answer. And again so many options. :)

So, if I don't want in-ear I rather go for semi-in-ear over earbuds in general, because their sound quality is better?
And aptX should be fine for on the go I think. Just AAC is a bit painful with Android.

Sep 4, 2020 at 7:16 AM Post #25,477 of 62,389
Thanks a lot for that nice and fast answer. And again so many options. :)

So, if I don't want in-ear I rather go for semi-in-ear over earbuds in general, because their sound quality is better?
And aptX should be fine for on the go I think. Just AAC is a bit painful with Android.

Nah, earbuds sound better than semi in ear. Plus there are a variety of sound signatures available.

You'll find (way) more info here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/earbuds-round-up.441400/

Sep 4, 2020 at 8:01 AM Post #25,481 of 62,389
By the way, what you think about Ibasso option of aptx
Ali link

He2c5ca31c1b843338acbec3e27a48730C.jpg

The iBasso CF01 is being discussed in this headfi thread in more detail if you are interested: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ibasso-cf01-cable-free-bt-mmcx-adapter-for-any-mmcx-iem.938751/

It is one of my favourite BT adapters in terms of sound quality and the charging case. I'm not sure if the recently released TRN BT20S Pro (which I'm hoping to buy when it is cheaper) can give it a run for the money in view of the charging case, but FWIW, here are some pros and cons of the iBasso CF01:

Pros
Comfortable, light, good build.
Neutralish sound - doesn't colour frequencies, and potrays the connected IEM as it is.
Excellent sound quality.
Charging case can fit large IEM inside, has airbags to cushion precious IEMs.
Up to 24h playback with charging case.
Supports wireless charging.
Dedicated amp for better headroom, dynamics.
Strong and easy BT connectivity and range. No dropouts for BT.
Has a mic to take calls.
IPX5 water resistance.

Cons:
No volume control.
No LDAC or aptX LL/HD.
Hisses with highly sensitive IEMs (generally not noticeable when music starts).
MMCX only (but u can use 2 pin to MMCX adapters with no issue).

Sep 4, 2020 at 9:02 AM Post #25,483 of 62,389
Hmmm, new stuff from JBL...
https://news.jbl.com/en-CEU/191029-...ing-and-ipx7-to-its-new-true-wireless-earbuds
1599224008030.png

Not bad for $149 featurewise with ANC, what they call smart ambient, Qi charging, IPX7, and their TWS+ called dual connect + sync. Of course how they sound and perform will dictate if they are a good value or not in the end.

JBL Reflect mini. Same features except no Qi charging but they have a sports design with the ear fins...
1599224044438.png

Perhaps these will have a bit of a different tuning for sports/the gym with more bass.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2020 at 9:55 AM Post #25,484 of 62,389
Shure also has a pair of those. Any thoughts on them?
https://www.shure.com/en-US/products/accessories/rmce-tw1

Are earbuds, IEMs, ... connectors all the same normally?

In general my experience with Shure and the AONIC 50 was extremely good. Best mail support I've ever had (in germany).

Here is a thread for the Shure TW1. After being recalled, I think people only started getting them again recently but first impressions seem pretty positive.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/shure-rmce-tw1-shure-cuts-the-cord.928960/

Sep 4, 2020 at 12:45 PM Post #25,485 of 62,389
By the way, what you think about Ibasso option of aptx
Ali link

He2c5ca31c1b843338acbec3e27a48730C.jpg
I bought them when they first came out. They are much much much much much much better than my—Sony XM3s, Senns MTW1, Nuarl N6 Pros. Details: Cleaner, crisper, wide sound stage, ability to handle soft and slam without sounding thin. Mine are paired with Ibasso T04s. See twister9 reviews for less expensive pairing options. I have no affiliation, just a consumer. They are also super light.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back