Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Sep 4, 2020 at 6:36 PM Post #25,487 of 62,014
Does anyone find fast-chargers to degrade charge performance of their TWS cases? I see many brands advising to only use 5V/1A chargers, but in my opinion this is absurd because most of my wall bricks now are quick-charge.

Today I used my Taotronics SoundLiberty 94 for no more than 3 hours and the battery is low. The 20Decebel app claims one side has 40% while the other only has 22%.

Sep 4, 2020 at 6:46 PM Post #25,488 of 62,014
Does anyone find fast-chargers to degrade charge performance of their TWS cases? I see many brands advising to only use 5V/1A chargers, but in my opinion this is absurd because most of my wall bricks now are quick-charge.

Today I used my Taotronics SoundLiberty 94 for no more than 3 hours and the battery is low. The 20Decebel app claims one side has 40% while the other only has 22%.

That is basic battery conditioning. Slower lower amp charging prolongs battery life and fast charging is gonna degrade and kill them faster. Of course there is new battery tech that is not in the devices yet that charges really fast and is not so harmful like Qualcomms...
https://www.forbes.com/sites/daveal...ro-to-100-percent-in-15-minutes/#341af80e5158

But for current stuff slower is better and safer. Remember heat is always the enemy. :)

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2020 at 2:42 AM Post #25,489 of 62,014
I bought them when they first came out. They are much much much much much much better than my—Sony XM3s, Senns MTW1, Nuarl N6 Pros. Details: Cleaner, crisper, wide sound stage, ability to handle soft and slam without sounding thin. Mine are paired with Ibasso T04s. See twister9 reviews for less expensive pairing options. I have no affiliation, just a consumer. They are also super light.

Hey you were comparing $600 sets with $150-250 sets literally 😆

Sep 5, 2020 at 3:20 AM Post #25,490 of 62,014
FIIL T1X review on rtings : https://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/fiil/t1x-true-wireless
They quite like them but point out their poor isolation when it comes to lower sounds. Apparently they didn't get a model with the infamous "hiss" like several of us here !

On another note I nearly killed my trusty X12 after I put them back in the box after running in the heat...the foamy bit was wet and one of the charging pins got corroded...some scratching later on the pin and the contact on the X12 and they're back in action, phew !

Sep 5, 2020 at 3:32 AM Post #25,491 of 62,014
Too funny; I got the same exact tips in the mail today, too. Using them on my XM3, I REALLY like the Acoustune's. The Xelastec's are just okay
Listening to the Acoustunes on my n400, really nice. Takes a bit of the edge off, adds quite a bit of bass. Makes the n400 lose a bit of their uniqueness but overall sound is much more suitable for long listening sessions.

I went a size down in the Xelas and they're still too big for my ears:rolling_eyes: . They kind of fit on my XM3s (helps that they're super grippy, the guys in the eartips thread weren't kidding around yikes). Momentum 2s are an instant fail. Grudgingly ordered a pair of S sized tips.

Sep 5, 2020 at 5:00 AM Post #25,492 of 62,014
That is basic battery conditioning. Slower lower amp charging prolongs battery life and fast charging is gonna degrade and kill them faster. Of course there is new battery tech that is not in the devices yet that charges really fast and is not so harmful like Qualcomms...
https://www.forbes.com/sites/daveal...ro-to-100-percent-in-15-minutes/#341af80e5158

But for current stuff slower is better and safer. Remember heat is always the enemy. :)
In my experience the device should be able to safely draw the necessary power if needed. I'm sure Samsung would expect you to charge the Galaxy Buds/Buds+/Live through their fast chargers, although from using these I find the Buds+ case battery is pretty poor. There might be a problem if you get an unofficial "fast charger" - some are built to the specification of USB-PD or Qualcomm Quick Charge 2/3.0 but not certified.

I received my replacement for the Taotronics SoundLiberty 94 today. There is still a slight hiss on the left bud when ANC is off but it is quite faint. Unfortunately it becomes more noticeable when turning on ambient mode. Will be testing out the battery in coming days.

Sep 5, 2020 at 7:10 AM Post #25,493 of 62,014
Our review of the budget Strauss & Wagner SW-TW401 TWS is posted from Louis.

https://headfonics.com/strauss-wagner-sw-tw401-review/

1599304215241.png

Sep 5, 2020 at 7:41 AM Post #25,494 of 62,014
An update on the Panasonic RZ-S500, it seems mine have battery drainage problem, both the earbuds and the case, as I found both completely flat after a week without touching them. Anyone else notice that ? Also I'm finding that the fit is not as good as with the Amazon Echo Buds or Sennheiser MTW2 that really sit flat against the concha and provide great comfort and isolation while the Panasonic leave a slight gap.

Oh and I don't think anyone else has commented on the "popping" I get in ANC mode when there are very slight pressure changes, like a bump on the road when you're a passenger in a car ?

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2020 at 7:43 AM Post #25,495 of 62,014
Can anyone confirm whether the English FIIL app still doesn't have ambient sound for the T1XS?

Also, there's a FIIL T1 Pro available in China with ANC.

As an aside I've been looking for an over-ear ANC headphone with Type-C charging and ambient mode. So far only the TaoTronics SoundSurge 55 and upcoming Tranya H10 fill these criteria, but I feel like the latter is priced pretty high for a budget brand.

And they stopped selling the 55's :scream:

The only pair of Taotronics I've either rated reasonably highly or don't find incredibly uncomfortable!

Sep 5, 2020 at 8:09 AM Post #25,496 of 62,014
Live greetings from 30.000ft where I will be trying to test out all my ANC TWS today.
On first round: this is going to be tricky. It seems airplane rumble is the first thing ANC buds have to learn and learn well. Besides the GBeans they all prove to be useful on this flight (regarding ANC, the GBeans are still lovely, but their ‘noise reduction’ and less passive isolation is just something else)
DD236466-70E9-47E0-B36F-3AEDDB7F3A5D.jpeg
It also kinda maddens me how well the APP do ANC, while sounding annoyingly mediocre. Nothing wrong, just no ummphh, and thus is what I need on a flight.

Will share more findings later. If the satellite internet does not break vanish again ...

Sep 5, 2020 at 8:13 AM Post #25,497 of 62,014
Live greetings from 30.000ft where I will be trying to test out all my ANC TWS today.
On first round: this is going to be tricky. It seems airplane rumble is the first thing ANC buds have to learn and learn well. Besides the GBeans they all prove to be useful on this flight (regarding ANC, the GBeans are still lovely, but their ‘noise reduction’ and less passive isolation is just something else)
DD236466-70E9-47E0-B36F-3AEDDB7F3A5D.jpeg
It also kinda maddens me how well the APP do ANC, while sounding annoyingly mediocre. Nothing wrong, just no ummphh, and thus is what I need on a flight.

Will share more findings later. If the satellite internet does not break vanish again ...

Do u guys who use ANC wireless gear get nauseous or giddy with ANC on in planes and trains? I experience that sometimes, I think it's cause of the sound waves being generated to cancel external sounds that put some pressure in the inner ear. Strangely I don't get the ANC giddiness when in a non moving place.

Sep 5, 2020 at 8:21 AM Post #25,498 of 62,014
Thank you very much for sharing this info! I was wondering what the size should I request. Just understand when I see you pics haha! I also got the size from our PM about Bold.
@Laethageal I got this one from our PM, but this is on the paper you know. I think @regancipher did good job! The error range is accetpable!
1599212119500.png
Thanks! Cheap calipers for you :D my good ones have been in self-storage since lockdown and I haven't bothered to go and pick them up since, if I go the woman there will keep me talking half a day and I can never lose half a day at the moment...unless it's testing headphones :wink: then anything goes haha

I genuinely think it's a big plus and a testament to how good the ANC is. It is clarified quite clearly in the user guide but of course, nobody really pays attention to it.

As I said here and my instagram post, the oval is nothing new, but the overall design including the oval is. I remember opening the case and thinking blimey these are going to be way too bulky. I couldn't have been more wrong. They are deceptively light, barely noticeable with the right tips. A very well thought-out design that eeks out every bit of performance from the chip, just like the Spunky Beats did, and the Onyx Free, just in a different way

Sep 5, 2020 at 8:39 AM Post #25,499 of 62,014
Do u guys who use ANC wireless gear get nauseous or giddy with ANC on in planes and trains? I experience that sometimes, I think it's cause of the sound waves being generated to cancel external sounds that put some pressure in the inner ear. Strangely I don't get the ANC giddiness when in a non moving place.
Never heard of a correlation between ANC & mood swings :wink: I do know that some binaural sounds allegedly can cause giddiness or calm, maybe that has something to do with that. Maybe it’s just the circumstances... first I heard ANC I was just giddy about that awesome technology!!!

Sep 5, 2020 at 8:46 AM Post #25,500 of 62,014
Yeah, I get it with really strong ANC like Bose and Sony over-ears. I remember trying on my first set of WH-1000's and thinking wow, these are out of this world! Then got on the plane and had crazy vertigo.

I actually still get it occssionally with Taotronics TT-55 which ironically use the Sony chip (supposedly) but decent in-ear ANC sets like the Apollo Bold and Edifier TWS NB2 don't have that issue.

I've looked into it a fair bit and your suspicion summarises it pretty well. Our ears and brains are used to processing sound a certain way, when you overload them with different stimuli it confuses them and can precipitate in a number of side effects - motion sickness, nausea, vertigo etc. Some people get used to, some don't.

One way that has reportedly helped some users is 'easing into' active noise cancellation. So if you have an ambient slider, like the Edifier app does, periodically reducing ambient sound can graduate your brain's learning response to processing this disequilibrium and give it chance to, essentially, acclimatise. This hasn't worked for me though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back