Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Dec 10, 2019 at 12:41 AM Post #17,011 of 62,552
Hey All, Got the Air Pods Pro today and boy am I pleasantly surprised. After testing them against the sony xm3's I have to say I think do a better job with ANC and The transparency mode is MUCH better than the sony's. The intergation with ios is exceptional and incredibly convenient having siri always listening is really nice. No volume? yea that sucks, but I just ask siri to turn it down, a feature that works on every TWS I have Except for the Sony's anyone else try this?
The APPs are lighter and less cumbersome as well.

The down side for me is the fit. They just aren't super comfortable for my left ear. I went from the M tips, to the L. and the L felt better but they hurt a bit. went back to the med and my left ear still doesn't' feel right. maybe I just have to get used to the style. Also, the sound. The Sony's completely destroy the APP's sound, so do the FIIL's, SSK/Anbes, Tranya B530, L2p, etc. I could go on. The APPs sound good, but not $250 good or even $130 good. The bass is there, but it's unexcited and there's zero sub bass. The mids are excellent and highs are good but rolled off and the sound changes based on which mode you are listening on. Soundstage is good. I thought with everything off they sounded the best. I don't love listening to music on these, but for calls, audiobooks, and all around productivity Apple has created another Really nice product. NOW, would I pay $250 for them? Absolutely not. I'd maybe pay $130-150, but I got them as a Christmas gift. Overall i'd give these a 4/5 for sound quality, 3/5 for price and 5's in every other category.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2019 at 1:22 AM Post #17,013 of 62,552
This is my (short) review of the Urbanista Athens earbuds (kinda). I had planned on posting a full review of the earbuds but alas I just got them earlier today and haven’t had time to do a real review, take some nice neat pictures and everything, and share with all of you. But I decided to post this little tidbit because I ran into a small (slightly major) hiccup with the review. In short, I won’t be able to post a full review for several months. The reason, I like a small phone and well currently there aren’t really any on the market. That means my phone is a four year old iPhone SE. And until the new iPhone SE 2 comes out in a few months I have no plans to upgrade. Unfortunately for me that also means I’m stuck with Bluetooth 4.2 so I have a few range and bit rate issues that are impacting both the sound quality and causing cut outs. That said, the sound quality is pretty good but I wouldn’t call it overly loud. Take a nice wired headset and reduce the volume by 30% and that’s what I have. Maybe that’s the norm with wireless earbuds, I’m not sure. The real problem is Bluetooth 4.2 (I think). Basically, if I put my phone in my pocket and standstill I’m just fine but if I start walking I start getting cut outs. It’s rather annoying. I haven’t heard of this issue in any of the reviews of the Urbanista Athens so I’m left assuming that it’s my ancient technology‘s fault. But considering that I can’t fix it for several months you’ll have to take my review with a slight grain of salt. More to come in the next few days.

Dec 10, 2019 at 1:58 AM Post #17,014 of 62,552
X12 is one of those TWS out there that does not get enough attention
I was just checking if I should get a back up set :wink:

F6660C91-C021-4B45-8324-F0D5CF9E6845.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2019 at 2:12 AM Post #17,016 of 62,552
nope, though come to think of it, i do need another open seal TWS, because i have one of my x12 to my wife, and my son asked for my other one. he said he like the sound and fit better than the Airpod

Any suggestions other than the Sabbat?the only ones that interest me are the Mifos (but doesn't have volume controls), these models , and this Soundpeats Trueair (airpods clone with aptx and volume control)

Or should i just try the newer ANC TWSs?

Try the Amazon Echo Buds if you get a chance (had to import mine via eBay), they're the best isolating TWSs (or wired actually) out there by a country mile with a great fit (thanks to the optional wings) and very decent SQ. The X12 or on the opposite side of the isolation spectrum of course :wink: The X12 that you were the first to report on here last here if memory serves are still unique with their full sound, lack of thump for runners, decent mics or great battery life. I'm curious whether the X12 Ultra with their QC3020 chip sound any different.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2019 at 2:14 AM Post #17,017 of 62,552
Just wanted to mention I got a new pair of T1x's today, they still sound great, my first pair I've burned in for 16 hours do sound more responsive and full.
Test with SSK again? Last time you mentioned you felt like moses emerging from a desert of thin mids - were you referring to the T1X or bomaker?

Dec 10, 2019 at 2:16 AM Post #17,018 of 62,552
Try the Amazon Echo Buds if you get a chance (had to import mine via eBay), they're the best isolating TWSs (or wired actually) out there by a country mile with a great fit (thanks to the optional wings) and very decent SQ. The X12 or on the opposite side of the isolation spectrum of course :wink: The X12 that you were the first to report on here last here if memory serves are still unique with their full sound, lack of thump for runners, decent mics or great battery life. I'm curious whether the X12 Ultra with their QC3020 chip sound any different.

I am curious to know as well if the X12 Ultras retain the same call quality.

Dec 10, 2019 at 2:33 AM Post #17,019 of 62,552
nope, though come to think of it, i do need another open seal TWS, because i have one of my x12 to my wife, and my son asked for my other one. he said he like the sound and fit better than the Airpod

Any suggestions other than the Sabbat?the only ones that interest me are the Mifos (but doesn't have volume controls), these models , and this Soundpeats Trueair (airpods clone with aptx and volume control)

Or should i just try the newer ANC TWSs?

i have those Padear looking ones in blue and they are unnecessary bulky and do not come close to the x12 sound... there is another open design one I like, let me find that link for you

These
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/oiQ8jqIFt

they sit very nice in ear and I do like how they sound, but also not x12 level.
Just get another x12 for 30$, see my post above (you can apply 2x2$ select coupons)

I might get a white / blue one as backup :wink:

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2019 at 4:12 AM Post #17,021 of 62,552
What would you rate earbuds with the best transparency mode?
I only have Jabees Firefly Pro and Jabra 65t. Jabra 65t is far better but I've noticed the overall volume has dipped recently (probably lint in the nozzle and bass vent). Firefly Pro is just barely usable but buzzes and distorts. For some odd reason, the right earbud also cuts out whenever facing direct sunlight, but this might just be my unit.

Is there an AptX TWS that has seamless mono-mode/single ear switching? Not sure if it's because my devices don't support Qualcomm TWS+, but I'm actually quite disappointed at the E12 Ultra in this regard. It adds a duplicate Bluetooth listing when switching to the non-master bud, and on Windows 10 you can't rename it. Mono mode on the Jabees Firefly Pro and BE30 Air are both quite seamless (be warned that some other UFO TWS don't allow true mono mode).

For a long time I was using Audio-Technica IEM tips on my Firefly Pro which slightly improves the mediocre isolation, but I recently went back to stock tips and am surprised how much more treble detail there is, especially compared to the Sabbat E12 Ultra. The soundstage is more spacious but the treble does have a metallic tinge to it.

One thing I've noticed about AptX chip on the E12 Ultra compared to non-AptX TWS I've tried so far is that after the audio cuts or skips, the audio doesn't decrease in quality or desync, especially on Windows 10. With non-AptX TWS I'll often have to switch my output device to something else and back, or otherwise re-connect them. However, the first split-second of a track is still missing on Windows 10 and on the E12 Ultra often starts out louder on the right bud for a split second before panning left.

The Jabra 75t price on Amazon.ca keeps fluctuating...

Dec 10, 2019 at 4:32 AM Post #17,022 of 62,552
What would you rate earbuds with the best transparency mode?
1. APP : 10
2. Amazon Echo Buds : 9
3. Libratone Track Air+ : 8
3. Jabra 65T (haven't tried the 75Ts) : 8
4. Sony WF-1000xm3 : 6
5. Sony WF-1000x : 2

Sabbat X12's "natural" transparency : 10

Dec 10, 2019 at 5:18 AM Post #17,023 of 62,552
I've had the Tronsmart Spunky Beat 1st version without volume control, and now owns the new version.

My experiences:
- The new version has less mid bass, more "balanced" sound (I think)
- It still has VERY annoying blinking lights on both buds, which really light up a dark room :triportsad: Annoying if I use them with my LG OLED (AptX BT) in my bedroom, with only the tv on. Can't use them there anyway, cause I get a little audio lag so...
- The volume up is 3 taps on the LEFT bud :triportsad:
- Next track is on the LEFT bud :triportsad:

On both versions the touch controls are really easy to activate, so there's a lot of play/pause/Siri when putting them in/taking them out of the ear.

Anyways, with the sound quality, codec support and good fit, they still are a decent set of buds for about $20.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2019 at 5:27 AM Post #17,024 of 62,552
Hurry if you want a cheap x12 pro, this shop I mentioned earlier is selling one design (dancing) for 24$. Select coupon still knocks out shipping :wink:

anyone else having trouble with Ali payment? Somehow it does not let me select my CC which I have used for years with them. Will contact customer support once I am back at desktop

3F93B561-9332-4352-AF43-E84D2BB4F052.jpeg

Dec 10, 2019 at 5:49 AM Post #17,025 of 62,552
Hurry if you want a cheap x12 pro, this shop I mentioned earlier is selling one design (dancing) for 24$. Select coupon still knocks out shipping :wink:

anyone else having trouble with Ali payment? Somehow it does not let me select my CC which I have used for years with them. Will contact customer support once I am back at desktop

Hi. Can you post a link? I can’t find them on Ali. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back