Getting the HD-555 headphones again, amplifier suggestions?
Sep 5, 2010 at 11:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

jschristian44

Member of the Trade: Justin's Headphone Modding
CAUTION: Incomplete trades
I was going to try out the AD-700's because of all the good reviews they were getting, but I decided to get the HD-555 again because if it isn't broke, don't fix it.  I wanted to try the AD-700 because of the soundstage, but my HD-555 were good for all around use, unlike the AD-700 would be.  If i needed headphones just for gaming I would probably get those, but I want something all around.  Anyways, I have heard the Sennheiser HD-555 would be even better with an amplifier.  Is there any kind or one someone suggest that I look for?  Some say it isn't needed, but I think I could get even more bass and better sounding phones with one.  I'd like to keep the price under say $40.  Thank you!

Sep 5, 2010 at 11:54 PM Post #2 of 23
darn, did you already get the 555? i guess nobody told you about the 558 announced a few days ago. the only amps i can think of under $40 are fiio and cmoy, but i don't think the difference will justify the price.

Sep 6, 2010 at 1:19 AM Post #3 of 23
What is this myth that the AD700 is only good for gaming? The AD700 is a music headphone, you know.

As for a $40 amp... really the only thing you can buy at that price is an E1, E3 or E5. Or if you live in the Philippines, you might be lucky to get a Mini^3 or a P4i. But other than that.... look to increase your amp budget.

Sep 6, 2010 at 1:32 AM Post #4 of 23
alright so i guess i don't need an amp.  a sennheiser 558 hey?  same price range, if so ill definately try it out.  and i want to rewire the cable using 24 gauge wire and a 1/8 miniplug at the end because i hate that huge 1/4 plug at the end.  im going to do a new post about this.  but thanks for the new headphone suggestion, i was just about to order the 555's

Sep 6, 2010 at 1:42 AM Post #7 of 23
well from all the reviews ive read that the ad700 were better for gaming, but the hd555 were better for all around.  i know the ad700 are good for other stuff too, but lack of bass makes it sound like their a treble headphone.  might be good for acoustic songs but that's all i can think of and gaming.  how far away until the 558 are released, i hear they are just announced which can mean a year or two.  i am the most impatient person you will meet so that might not work for me lol.

Sep 6, 2010 at 1:48 AM Post #8 of 23
 jschrisian, sorry if you thought i was bashing you.

i would just get the hd555. i doubt the 558 would be anymore spectacular in sound as opposed to the hd555. design wise, the 558 kicks ass...there is no set release date yet, and i don't see why you should really wait. it's gaming, the 555 are just perfect for them. i say go with it! they are cheap and very durable.

Sep 6, 2010 at 2:14 AM Post #9 of 23
yeah that is what i thought, if they were just announced they wont be out for a while yet, and im the most impatient person.  i did hear they are better though, but if their gonna be near 200 dollars, something better might be out by the time they release them.  did feel like a bash but im so used to that from other forums i just dont even notice anymore.  but the ad700's are good for gaming everywhere i read.  the hd-555 are a very close runner up, so im gonna get them.   now just need someone to help me with recabling them, check out my thread if u can help.  seeya

Sep 6, 2010 at 2:14 AM Post #10 of 23

Quote:
What is this myth that the AD700 is only good for gaming? The AD700 is a music headphone, you know.

As for a $40 amp... really the only thing you can buy at that price is an E1, E3 or E5. Or if you live in the Philippines, you might be lucky to get a Mini^3 or a P4i. But other than that.... look to increase your amp budget.

When I tried them I thought they had too much sibilance and not enough bass...but I guess at the ~$80 they go for nowadays they're pretty good.

Sep 6, 2010 at 2:52 AM Post #11 of 23
You can actually mod the AD700 for more bass. You can stuff some Grado bowls into the pads of the AD700 and this increases the bass exponentially. This was a mod done by dononus.

Sep 6, 2010 at 3:15 AM Post #12 of 23
AD700 is overall better than HD555 and is good all-rounder. I do not know how HD558 compares though.

If I were you, I would wait and get HD558 to try, because I like Sennheisers built and shape more. If I were I :) - I'll definitely try to downshift from HD650 to HD598, because I like portability also. HD650 are too brutal and I'm tied to stationary rig with them. I hope HD598 will play nice from HM-602 with no additional amping.

Sep 6, 2010 at 12:42 PM Post #15 of 23
Well, if you decide go with HD555 then there is used Airhead for $40 - http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/503313/fs-headroom-total-airhead-black. Friend of mine uses the same combo and he is quite happy with it - no upgrades for the last 1.5 year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back