Getting "called-out" for not wearing the Beats
Jan 25, 2012 at 1:15 AM Post #4,066 of 5,506
As for $1000 digital cable performing no better than a $3.00 one..
Sorry, but I call B.S. on that one.  As I've stated in my previous 'WALL of TEXT', I've witnessed the difference myself. The trick is consistency. You can't just replace one cable and expect a world of difference.. The components need to be high quality, and all wires and cables need to be of the same brand; Monster in this case.  Then there will be a difference, Trust me.

Sorry Shotor but this is one argument that isn't a matter of subjectivity. Arguing that expensive HDMI cables makes a difference is an argument that will lose. Period.

Honestly there are a few computer engineers on here, myself included, that have to facepalm upon reading claims like this about digital cables. It's literally as absurd as saying that if you paint your car pink it will double its fuel mileage. There is no debate among anyone who knows how the technology works. The only possible argument is from pure ignorance.

The only difference it will ever make is due to placebo effect. Differences perceived due to placebo effect seem quite real, and that's the whole point of why placebo deserves its own name / study.

Jan 25, 2012 at 1:18 AM Post #4,067 of 5,506

Quote:
Because, that's silly.

Sorry 
confused.gif

Jan 25, 2012 at 2:46 AM Post #4,070 of 5,506

Quote:
Sorry, but I call B.S. on that one.  As I've stated in my previous 'WALL of TEXT', I've witnessed the difference myself. The trick is consistency. You can't just replace one cable and expect a world of difference.. The components need to be high quality, and all wires and cables need to be of the same brand; Monster in this case.  Then there will be a difference, Trust me.

Sorry Shotor but this is one argument that isn't a matter of subjectivity. Arguing that expensive HDMI cables makes a difference is an argument that will lose. Period.

Honestly there are a few computer engineers on here, myself included, that have to facepalm upon reading claims like this about digital cables. It's literally as absurd as saying that if you paint your car pink it will double its fuel mileage. There is no debate among anyone who knows how the technology works. The only possible argument is from pure ignorance.

The only difference it will ever make is due to placebo effect. Differences perceived due to placebo effect seem quite real, and that's the whole point of why placebo deserves its own name / study.

Don't be so sure of yourself my friend. 

I can see why many like yourself (Computer engineers) would scoff at such remarks as increased performance by pricier Digital cables or HDMI cables. As the HDMI itself is a standard since it is a Digital inherit technology, and thus.. the belief (or rather tested belief) that as long as there's a connection, the standard RGB color matting and sound should be all the same; and thus, differences in price are obsolete in that regard. And before you think I am trolling, talking out of ignorance or under some placebo effect, trust me that neither is the case.  Nor the analogy of 'just because I paint my car pink it does not mean it's going to make it go faster'. 

Yes, if you go through the hoards and research and test by test and retest of these cables, then the common result you'll see that while there is a slight difference, it is almost insignificant; that is to the Standard HDMI is held for.  However, while these differences are indeed small (as I stated previously), they do tend to cause certain things.  I personally was skeptical myself until I saw this with my own eyes. Things from my own set up as to corrosion and degradation of signal. And to other phenomena such as lip sync issues between sound to the action on screen.    

My own personal setup.. I had a cheaply cheap $5.00 HDMI cable connected.. and it worked fine for a while.. Then all of sudden one day.. sync issues between the player and the TV. Tried to connect the cable to a different HDMI input.. same result.. unsteady signal.. checked the terminals.. seem fine.. (and so they should be since no in and out scenarios)... Tried on a different HDTV. Worked like a charm with no issues.  So what exactly was the problem.  Bought a new HDMI cable, slightly more expensive. Connected the media player worked fine on both TV's with no issues. And what's more noticeable, it produced a brighter/better contrast/better black levels image. Nothing that great or significant.. As stated before.. both HDMI cables produced an image within a standard.... just .. not the same way.  Don't forget that there's a reason why HDMI cable versions have changed over the years.. and I'm talking beyond the 3D and XBOX/PS3 specific one... but the general ones.. In fact, some electronic stores have two different categories of HDMI cables.. Standard and Digital.. but if it's all digital.. then what does Standard stands for?   Experts will argue that the TV refresh rate/lag response time has nothing to do with the HDMI cables themselves, rather how the TV processes this... But the issue that is not addressed is the means of transport. 

There are quite a few threads and discussion boards where people and experts argue the same thing you do.. while real consumer discuss their experiences when using a $3.00 HDMI cable versus a $60.00   

Jan 25, 2012 at 5:14 AM Post #4,072 of 5,506
Guys, only real audiophiles get the best Beats. And the best costs the best. Only $695. If you don't get 'em everyone will start calling you out.

http://www.oscardelarenta.com/?folderId=%2Fshoponline%2Fnewarrivals%2F#styleNumber=beats

Jan 25, 2012 at 5:21 AM Post #4,073 of 5,506
Oh What?! Furry Beats! I can't stop laughing! :D

Jan 25, 2012 at 6:29 AM Post #4,076 of 5,506
I think a lot of people should read this:
http://www.matrixhifi.com/ENG_contenedor_ppec.htm
They used 2 rigs: an audiophile one with every single audiofool requesite: hugely expensive cabes, a special table for the whole rig, all that. Then they used the cheapest rig the could find. The only things in common were the speakers and the speaker cables. The results show it was divided in 3 (1/3 preferred expensive setup, 1/3 preferred cheap setup and 1/3 were honest and said they couldn't hear a difference). Of course since it's an analog signal there was supposed to be some difference, but so little it was inaudible. In regards to headphone cables, anything better than a Mogami starquad is a waste of money.

Shotor I believe you saw a difference. I just also believe if no one had told you they had swapped the cables, you wouldn't have noticed. You knew you had a more expensive cable, so in your head, even if not consciously, you were expecting a difference. Don't think you're immune to bias and placebo, no one is.

Jan 25, 2012 at 7:11 AM Post #4,077 of 5,506

Quote:
I think a lot of people should read this:
http://www.matrixhifi.com/ENG_contenedor_ppec.htm
They used 2 rigs: an audiophile one with every single audiofool requesite: hugely expensive cabes, a special table for the whole rig, all that. Then they used the cheapest rig the could find. The only things in common were the speakers and the speaker cables. The results show it was divided in 3 (1/3 preferred expensive setup, 1/3 preferred cheap setup and 1/3 were honest and said they couldn't hear a difference). Of course since it's an analog signal there was supposed to be some difference, but so little it was inaudible. In regards to headphone cables, anything better than a Mogami starquad is a waste of money.

Shotor I believe you saw a difference. I just also believe if no one had told you they had swapped the cables, you wouldn't have noticed. You knew you had a more expensive cable, so in your head, even if not consciously, you were expecting a difference. Don't think you're immune to bias and placebo, no one is.

I'm afraid I'm going to disappoint you with my reply LK.
You see, in the example of my media player and the HDMI cable issues, I merely bought the first HDMI cable I saw in London drugs. The purpose was to buy any new HDMI cable to test on the tv+hd media player with the intentions of returning it upon inspection, which I did by the way (which shows you that I'm not that particular when it comes 
to my home theater setup). Also, as I stated before, I was a skeptic at the time and expected nothing.  All I needed was to see whether there is a problem with my tv, hd media player or the cable itself. And the results proven to be the cable. Me noticing difference in image quality was actually a shocker. It was there, staring me straight in the eyes.  As fr the other scenario. I knew that the exhibition was to show something, but I really didn't know which was which.  All I know is that there was a difference.  For me, who happens to be very keen on small details and know what constitutes to a high quality imaging, I would be able to see which is the ideal image. However, others may simply prefer the image through the lower grade cables...just like in the link you provided. 
This is why research is tricky.  This is also why I say that if you're going to invest $5000 or more in your home theater, might as well get the high grade components and and cables. One single cable won't do much... But a combination where all cables and components are high grade will provide an overall improvement...it won't be big or huge... But ...definitely noticible.

Jan 25, 2012 at 7:26 AM Post #4,078 of 5,506
Placebo effect is real. I'm sure you did see something, but it might not be what others see.

Jan 25, 2012 at 7:30 AM Post #4,079 of 5,506

Quote:

I'm no engineer but I was once told by a friend that if a cable is gold plated, the picture quality improves. I then asked her if the gold plating imposes some magical powers on the rest of the cable(which is not gold)... she ask me no and wondered why I asked. -_- 

Jan 25, 2012 at 8:31 AM Post #4,080 of 5,506
What a strange turn this thread took...

Told you, there was going to be an Internet argument, probably wasn't about heahones, but now everyone's fling their thoughts in the most digesting manner. Ya'll thought I was crazy, Y'all thought me crazy, well look who's crazy now! Just kidding I totally didn't see this coming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back