Getting "called-out" for not wearing the Beats
Jan 21, 2012 at 8:30 PM Post #3,901 of 5,506
That said,

I see a bit of a confusion or perhaps misinformation in regards to the beats lineup.
It seems that many think that the Studios

Yes, those - :bigsmile_face:

Actually reproduce the biggest amount of bass in the lineup.

This is incorrect. 

The Pros

And the Solos/HD

Actually produce significantly more bass and sub-bass frequencies.

The difference is the quality of it.  The Solos Bass itself (speaking of bass only) is actually fairly decent. It hits the low notes very well and extends very well too.
However, other than that, it offers very little in terms of the sound spectrum. As people argued and stated (which is largely true), very muddy/veiled/recessed mids and almost non-existent highs.
Poor response to EQuing and brittle construction, while the Likes of Sony XB500 at 1/4 of the price do better on almost every aspect (less looks and appeal), makes the Solos a fairly bad sounding headphones FOR THE PRICE. As simply headphones, they're not awful sounding.

The Pros, while FR graph and specs were never released, actually produce a fairly heavy bass response, it's on par if not above the Solos. From memory, it was even lower and the resolution of the extension was felt and heard better. The phones didn't rattle upon louder output. They definitely fair better than Studios. If anything, they reach as deep as the XB500/700 on that department. The bass does not roll off, and bleeding into the midrange is controlled very well actually. This is why many, upon initial auditioning, will attest that Solos and Studios have more bass impact. This is incorrect. Pros simply have a far more balanced sound spectrum and a wider soundstage. For those who argue that DJ's won't use them, I've seen DJs use them. It happens. DJ's have also used the Kicker HP540 for sets, which do a commendable job with their 50mm drivers. Clearly the Pros won't provide the clarity, staging and resolution of true Hi-Fi reference or even DJ headphones at that price range (Shure SRH750 for example), but they're clear enough to go through sets of Dance/Hip-Hop/R&B/Top-40 Mainstream/House and Trance. Remember, DJing is not Studio Monitoring reference grade material; one is sound monitoring and engineering and other is mixing.  And I absolutely agree that they're not worth $450 - $500 but $200 - $250 (US/CDN) Retail is a fair pricetag for them.  And I agree NdP, definitely not a steal at $200 - $250, but at $150 I'd say most definitely yes... If you like those Genres, loud music, and looking for really fun, sturdy and portable headphones that DO NOT REQUIRE an AMP, if you find them at $150 brand new... I'd be really shocked if one wouldn't buy them on the spot.

As for studios, those probably make the biggest initial impression because of their faults. Their bass impact was specifically engineered to pound at the midrange bass and roll off fairly early. Provide it with semi-shrill and forward mids and high treble with not so refined highs, they tend to make to biggest impact as the loudest and boomiest headphones in that lineup. However, once you compare for a while, you'd realize that is very superficial. They don't have all that much bass, just strong thump impact.

I realize that this has been said and posted many times, but I've done so for the reason that so many discuss the flaws of the beats as a general scope while providing some specific details without a clear reference to the model itself; something that would benefit some of the discussions here in regard.

On that note, I have yet to have been called for not wearing beats.  

Though I can't even fathom what my response would be.  Though if that will happen, I can't see myself answering it straight away without answering a question with a question.
Such as:

-Beats wearer : 'Hey man, what kind of headphones are these'?
-Me : 'Shure 440s. I see you're wearing the Studios there' 

-'Beats wearer : Yea, they're sick headphones man, you should give em a try'
-Me : I actually have many times..'

-Beats wearer : 'So why didn't you get them instead of yours, the beats are the best headphones on the market' 
-Me : 'How do you know?' 

And from that point on, it'll be constant questions as opposed to statements.. it'll be either to the point where he either gives up, or realizes something he didn't before.

I don't think you could win against a n ignorant beats owner, they paid 300$ for something no where near worth the money, they will fight until they forget about the headphones. The only way to win against a beats owner is show him or her your headphones, and out of ignorance he/she will comment on there being no bass or style, and why they weigh so much or are to big.

Jan 21, 2012 at 8:35 PM Post #3,902 of 5,506

Quote:
I don't think you could win against a n ignorant beats owner, they paid 300$ for something no where near worth the money, they will fight until they forget about the headphones. The only way to win against a beats owner is show him or her your headphones, and out of ignorance he/she will comment on there being no bass or style, and why they weigh so much or are to big.

u didn't need to quote the whole thing >_< but just saying i find the only way to convert is to sit down and have a small conversation first. explain to them what is wrong with what they are hearing. tell them what they SHOULD be hearing. Talk about PCM, CD rip, tracks and other stuff. Find out what they like to listen to. Get a CD copy of it or just bring out one of ur best songs. load it up on some good gear. and let it rip. This session should take 3 hours. and out...will walk an audiophile...if you did it right, if they are too stubborn then all is not lost. at least they now know

Jan 21, 2012 at 8:37 PM Post #3,903 of 5,506
"ah dude. i know i should've. i went onto this site called Head-fi..and man. they brainwashed me. made me think....that...that ......eww Audueze LCD 3 actually sounded good. ewww. i went and tried on those dank PRO's man. and man......my ears were just...awwwww. Who wouldn't want Beats. Even Dr.Dre uses them!"

Dre and ... Justin Bieber too... and he endorses them as-well... Purple ones to boot...

And hey... he's dating Gomez... and anyone who dates her, I blindly trust their objective endorsements.

After all.. it's Gomez...

Enough said ...

Also, let us not forget...

LMAO feature them in their videos too - And if LMAO say they're cool... then they have to be...

((at 00:46 sec mark))

After all...

They're sexy and they know it...

bigsmile_face.gif

Jan 21, 2012 at 8:50 PM Post #3,904 of 5,506

Quote:
"ah dude. i know i should've. i went onto this site called Head-fi..and man. they brainwashed me. made me think....that...that ......eww Audueze LCD 3 actually sounded good. ewww. i went and tried on those dank PRO's man. and man......my ears were just...awwwww. Who wouldn't want Beats. Even Dr.Dre uses them!"

Dre and ... Justin Bieber too... and he endorses them as-well... Purple ones to boot...

And hey... he's dating Gomez... and anyone who dates her, I blindly trust their objective endorsements.

After all.. it's Gomez...

Enough said ...

Also, let us not forget...

LMAO feature them in their videos too - And if LMAO say they're cool... then they have to be...

((at 00:46 sec mark))

After all...

They're sexy and they know it...

bigsmile_face.gif

ahh man!! i forgot those arguments as well!! hey if LMAO endorses them. How am i to say they are bad...anyone want to trade a STAX SR009 and an Audueze LCD3 for a Beats Solo? man. those things are hot and dank man. i'll feel so cool when i walk into school man!

Jan 21, 2012 at 8:54 PM Post #3,905 of 5,506

Quote:
ahh man!! i forgot those arguments as well!! hey if LMAO endorses them. How am i to say they are bad...anyone want to trade a STAX SR009 and an Audueze LCD3 for a Beats Solo? man. those things are hot and dank man. i'll feel so cool when i walk into school man!

For sure...

Just be sure to strip down to your double layered speedos and wiggle wiggle wiggle as frequently as possible.

Jan 21, 2012 at 9:04 PM Post #3,907 of 5,506

Quote:
u didn't need to quote the whole thing >_< but just saying i find the only way to convert is to sit down and have a small conversation first. explain to them what is wrong with what they are hearing. tell them what they SHOULD be hearing. Talk about PCM, CD rip, tracks and other stuff. Find out what they like to listen to. Get a CD copy of it or just bring out one of ur best songs. load it up on some good gear. and let it rip. This session should take 3 hours. and out...will walk an audiophile...if you did it right, if they are too stubborn then all is not lost. at least they now know

That said, on the more serious note...

While this is fairly the 'ideal', well preferred 'ideal' way to show someone the light... reality proves time and time again that an individual who calls you out for not wearing beats, and as argued, paid $300 - $500 for them and believes that they're the best on the market, is highly an unlikely candidate for such elaborate effort and appeal to logic and common sense.  I mean, if a person drops that much without proper research and only paraphrases what company ad-campaign and crude marketing claim, then I doubt that he'll have that inclination to give you the time and day for 3 hours, let alone more than 10 minutes.

Now, as for approaching such call outs... as dumbfounded and negative approach as it may be, I believe the Socratic method is very fruitful.  As per NdP, I doubt that any headfier here or a sensible person is interested in engaging in an inane discussion or argument... Inane=nonsensical in this context. Normally it would result with circular logic and arguing methods which will be supported by myriad of incorrect appeals to authority, popularity clauses, questions begging and appeals to ignorance...   In other words, simply not worth getting into with that approach. It will infuriate the headfier even further.. 

This is why answering a question with a question works. You give that person just enough rope to hang themselves with.  And the result is usually 1 of 2 outcomes..
See the light, or learning nothing and walking away.

Jan 21, 2012 at 9:08 PM Post #3,908 of 5,506

Quote:
That said, on the more serious note...

While this is fairly the 'ideal', well preferred 'ideal' way to show someone the light... reality proves time and time again that an individual who calls you out for not wearing beats, and as argued, paid $300 - $500 for them and believes that they're the best on the market, is highly an unlikely candidate for such elaborate effort and appeal to logic and common sense.  I mean, if a person drops that much without proper research and only paraphrases what company ad-campaign and crude marketing claim, then I doubt that he'll have that inclination to give you the time and day for 3 hours, let alone more than 10 minutes.

Now, as for approaching such call outs... as dumbfounded and negative approach as it may be, I believe the Socratic method is very fruitful.  As per NdP, I doubt that any headfier here or a sensible person is interested in engaging in an inane discussion or argument... Inane=nonsensical in this context. Normally it would result with circular logic and arguing methods which will be supported by myriad of incorrect appeals to authority, popularity clauses, questions begging and appeals to ignorance...   In other words, simply not worth getting into with that approach. It will infuriate the headfier even further.. 

This is why answering a question with a question works. You give that person just enough rope to hang themselves with.  And the result is usually 1 of 2 outcomes..
See the light, or learning nothing and walking away.

this method only works for the one's that don't go around bragging. most just bought them for bandwagon. if there is one that is serious about music. the socratic method should be the best. most head fi'ers will probably only last minutes before becomming assertive and confrontational sadly. i as well. any thig that goes off from a question wll just ruin the seminar >_< however if done properly :D there could be some fruits. no matter how small. we should try :D

Jan 21, 2012 at 9:27 PM Post #3,909 of 5,506
I usually judge by the person's demeanor..

I'm talking specifically about those who 'call' others, not those who seriously looking to be enlightened.

Perhaps it's also a variable in what you are actually trying to achieve by engaging or accepting the call out challenge. Some headfiers want to enlighten no matter what... it is a must.
Some will actually argue and go into long debates... and some, like myself, simply won't give a $hit one way or another. 

If somebody calls me out, I examine that person. If I feel that it's worth the attempt, then I will act accordingly. However, if in my opinion only, it appears as a lost cause.. then I'd either say that I'm not interesting in talking, or entertain argument with a question-by-question to unveil a contradiction or a flaw in that person's line of thinking or logic.

Jan 21, 2012 at 9:34 PM Post #3,910 of 5,506

Quote:
I usually judge by the person's demeanor..

I'm talking specifically about those who 'call' others, not those who seriously looking to be enlightened.

Perhaps it's also a variable in what you are actually trying to achieve by engaging or accepting the call out challenge. Some headfiers want to enlighten no matter what... it is a must.
Some will actually argue and go into long debates... and some, like myself, simply won't give a $hit one way or another. 

If somebody calls me out, I examine that person. If I feel that it's worth the attempt, then I will act accordingly. However, if in my opinion only, it appears as a lost cause.. then I'd either say that I'm not interesting in talking, or entertain argument with a question-by-question to unveil a contradiction or a flaw in that person's line of thinking or logic.

me as well. they say you can't judge. a person's appearance,how they act and the feel they give you doesn't tell you who they are.. 8 to 9 times out of 10. you can basically write their whole life story. and who they hang out with.

Jan 22, 2012 at 1:17 AM Post #3,915 of 5,506
I was on the bus a few weeks ago, and a young ghetto girl saw a guy with a pair of beats on his head. She told her friend she wanted to beat the guy up for his headphones. Seriously, for some stank butt Beats??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back