Getting "called-out" for not wearing the Beats
Nov 16, 2011 at 10:47 PM Post #2,641 of 5,506
Hmmmm why am I not surprised looks like Monster is going all out trying to cash in on the upcoming Xmas rush. We now have a new Beats can and it's called The Executive. Word on the street is it will retail for 400 bones. On the plus side I'll have to say it doesn't look as loud and tacky as it's siblings. Shall we all go out and buy some bricks now?

Nov 16, 2011 at 10:58 PM Post #2,642 of 5,506

Quote:
Hmmmm why am I not surprised looks like Monster is going all out trying to cash in on the upcoming Xmas rush. We now have a new Beats can and it's called The Executive. Word on the street is it will retail for 400 bones. On the plus side I'll have to say it doesn't look as loud and tacky as it's siblings. Shall we all go out and buy some bricks now?

Eh, they look cheap...as in the build looks plasticky. I bet they'll be running for $250, just a random guess.

Quote:
I think I may have recently ruined or made someone's day at Fry's. My friend and I were trying to find something to blow a gift card on, and we were looking at their headphone selection. I was pleasantly surprised to find a good assortment of "good" brands including Sennheiser, Ultrasone, Shure, and AKG.

Wait, Fry's over there have Ultrasone and AKG headphones?
basshead.gif
  The ones here don't carry such brands.

Nov 16, 2011 at 11:04 PM Post #2,643 of 5,506

Quote:
Eh, they look cheap...as in the build looks plasticky. I bet they'll be running for $250, just a random guess.

I'd wager they're aluminum, like the Pros. I'm going to be completely honest, I like how they look unlike the Studios. They have a bit of an upper class V6 vibe. Those look to be some bloody huge pads though.

And they're $400, which is kind of high, and the NC doesn't allude to good things.

Nov 16, 2011 at 11:17 PM Post #2,644 of 5,506
Wow you're lucky to have a Fry's with those. I checked two or three local Fry's and Best Buys, and none had anything more than Beats or Bose on display, and on the shelf the best they had was one of Sony's medium quality headphones.

Nov 17, 2011 at 1:37 AM Post #2,645 of 5,506

Quote:
I'd wager they're aluminum, like the Pros. I'm going to be completely honest, I like how they look unlike the Studios. They have a bit of an upper class V6 vibe. Those look to be some bloody huge pads though.

And they're $400, which is kind of high, and the NC doesn't allude to good things.

Ah, I figured they would be made of aluminium at first glance just from the brushed-like finish.

$400? That seems about right for a Beats product, don't you think so?

Nov 17, 2011 at 2:04 AM Post #2,646 of 5,506
This was in Arlington. Believe me, I was quite surprised as well; they had the AKG Q701s and the Shure 240s. The Ultrasones, oddly, were over in the other half of the store with all of the gaming headsets.

Nov 17, 2011 at 2:19 AM Post #2,647 of 5,506

Quote:
This was in Arlington. Believe me, I was quite surprised as well; they had the AKG Q701s and the Shure 240s. The Ultrasones, oddly, were over in the other half of the store with all of the gaming headsets.

Wow, the Q701's?
blink.gif
  I was eying those as a possible future pair of headphones.

Nov 17, 2011 at 10:08 AM Post #2,648 of 5,506

Well today would be a good day to buy them. On amazon they're going between 232-239$ i believe, depending on the color. I find white the nicest

Just a heads up :p
Quote:
Wow, the Q701's?
blink.gif
  I was eying those as a possible future pair of headphones.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Nov 18, 2011 at 3:34 AM Post #2,650 of 5,506
Funny thing is, I've convinced almost everyone in my Sophomore class that Beas suck after the took a listen to some of my other portables. They saved that money for better audio. I'm seeing a lot more Audio Technicas, Shures, and most of all, Sennheiser's.

Nov 18, 2011 at 3:56 AM Post #2,651 of 5,506
Quote:
I just discovered this from an old thread that I haven't seen before.

I think Jude predicted the future with that statement. :X

Well, Jude's analysis is very balanced, well thought out, and makes sense.  

We may not like Beats because of the principles that we believe it represents as a value and/or was founded on as a brand, but "Beats" or rather celebrity headphones in general were completely necessary and had to happen. Like Hollywood and popular music the image matters just as much, if not more so than the music itself because it creates a grand, enveloping world. 

What if a headphone represented a generalization of the type of artist or genre it is meant to be listened to? Normally choosing a headphone based on its sound is pretty difficult, you have to either risk the buy/return process or trust the "house sound" stereotype; such as all sennheisers being warm and lacking treble or that akg's are mids first/treble second/bass last, etc. Any concept of "house sound" seems to be dead now with companies competing for every type of product available.

In that case is it right for the image of some stuffy classical music producer recommending a K271 to a hi-hop fan, when in reality it can't provide enough midbass?

Most big audio companies make headphones for the pop/hip hop genre, but its easier for the consumer to trust the Monster cable/Beats brand. Plus your getting approval from your idol that the music will sound as it was intended by the studio that produced it in a pair of beats headphones. Perhaps for a hip hop fan, the beats are the right way to go over trusting if some other brands equivalent answer to there genre will do.

The average consumer won't care about the headphones before the music and won't feel the urge to upgrade as often as we do either. They'll cut there losses at $300 and keep them for as long as they last :p

Nov 18, 2011 at 7:58 AM Post #2,652 of 5,506
I haven't read much of the thread, but this has happened to me with the new intern I hired. 23 year old kid, recent grad, went into full scoff mode when he came in and saw me wearing my M50s with my little headphone amp. Of course he doesn't own Beats, he's fine with iBuds or whatever they call them. Funny thing is I have my old Bose QC2s in my office cabinet (they were a gift a long time ago and actually were okay for the office for a while) and he gives those a lot more cred than the M50s or D1001s.

It's always amazed me -- I work in a 600,000 sq ft building with a lot of underlings who do processing on the computer all day long, 50 hours/week, fully 42% of their waking lives, and many of them have headphones on for most or all of that, presumably listening to music, and about 90% of them stick with the cheapola Labtec headphones we issue them (FR: 150Hz - 7000Hz). Unbelievable. You'd think even if they were oblivious to the sound quality they'd get something more comfortable for the ears. I mean this is something they wear 50 hours/week. Spending $50 doesn't sound unreasonable to me.

Nov 18, 2011 at 8:44 AM Post #2,653 of 5,506
^ Really?
The M50's look like proper DJ headphones to me, not sure why he would scoff at them when he has iBuds.

Nov 18, 2011 at 11:05 AM Post #2,654 of 5,506
Maybe, but who's ever heard of "Audio-Technica?"

When was the last time you saw a pro athlete or rapper wearing AT?
Quote:
^ Really?
The M50's look like proper DJ headphones to me, not sure why he would scoff at them when he has iBuds.

Nov 18, 2011 at 11:23 AM Post #2,655 of 5,506
I saw Dre and a few other producers wearing M50s in one of their behind the scenes videos.

AT is getting more and more well known. Especially with their line of ANC cans popping up everywhere.

Quote:
Maybe, but who's ever heard of "Audio-Technica?"

When was the last time you saw a pro athlete or rapper wearing AT?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back