Getting "called-out" for not wearing the Beats
Nov 7, 2011 at 7:51 PM Post #2,566 of 5,506

Quote:
i usually have an odd set of cans whenever i travel [odd in that they aren't $50 from best buy] - i often get asked questions about them.  in normal conversation, people often bring up bose and then swear by their sound and build quality

if not that it's the gamers i know that swear by their gaming 'cans' by turtle beach or the like...

Every time I mention headphones at work, or wear a different pair there, one guy I work with always asks me why I didn't get Bose. At first I said they weren't really my thing, but he asks so much that I have finally told him to do his research and see why for himself. 

Nov 7, 2011 at 11:43 PM Post #2,567 of 5,506
just saw they finally released the colored beats studio at the store.

was very tempted to pick up a pink pair....

hmmm i think i will, just for the looks.

plus i can show ppl how they sux

and it would be cool to listen to them coming out of a WA6SE 
biggrin.gif

or i might just use that cash and buy some hd 600s or put it towarrds the lcd-2 i wanna buy next month.

Nov 8, 2011 at 2:00 AM Post #2,569 of 5,506
its funny, because I assumed asian ppl would swear by audio technica as well, but here, most of them don't even know about the brand, and consist of the largest group of "beats by dre" fanatics... :/

goes to show you can't even have the slightest judgement

Quote:
at my school its the opposite all my asian friends reckon beats suck and they all have audio technicas :p

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Nov 8, 2011 at 2:32 AM Post #2,571 of 5,506

Quote:
its funny, because I assumed asian ppl would swear by audio technica as well, but here, most of them don't even know about the brand, and consist of the largest group of "beats by dre" fanatics... :/

dude im saying my friends all love good headphones not the beats by dr dont know music and i want a esw9 or a beyerdynamic t50p because they are awesome but no money so stuck with my px100 atm :/

Nov 8, 2011 at 6:18 AM Post #2,572 of 5,506

Quote:

You really can't. That's why I'm not a racist: I believe there are morons in all colors and sizes.

@DigitalFreak: I do feel much more zen now. I didn't quite understand what your sarcasm was for, but I suddenly have the urges to drink Mateus and it's 11am so yeah... it's about to get weird.

Nov 8, 2011 at 7:55 AM Post #2,573 of 5,506
Montreal. Age group I' referring too is 12-23 years of age

Quote:

Uh, where are you located, if you don't me asking?

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Nov 8, 2011 at 10:39 AM Post #2,575 of 5,506

Quote:
Montreal. Age group I' referring too is 12-23 years of age

That's a pretty wide age range. Why did you think Asians living/raised in Montreal would be die-hard Audio Technica fans? I'm an Asian living in Asia and there's no brand loyalty to the Japanese brand, just a recognition that it produces a lot of value-for-money headphones.

Nov 8, 2011 at 12:57 PM Post #2,576 of 5,506

Quote:
You really can't. That's why I'm not a racist: I believe there are morons in all colors and sizes.

@DigitalFreak: I do feel much more zen now. I didn't quite understand what your sarcasm was for, but I suddenly have the urges to drink Mateus and it's 11am so yeah... it's about to get weird.

lol not being sarcastic sorry if I came across as such. I was just teasing and saying hi to a fellow Portuguese. I traveled through Lisbon and the Acores 5 years ago, I so miss eating lapas over a nice bottle of Mateus.

Nov 8, 2011 at 1:04 PM Post #2,577 of 5,506
Well I have quite a few asian friends myself who have/had audio technica headphones and would rant about how good they are (mainly m50's) and how the build quality/sound of this particular japanese brand is among the best. But when beats came out they all moved on to that, because of all the marketing and 'fashion' side of headphones.

It's mainly because of this that I assumed A-T was very popular to them, but I was unpleasantly surprised with the following events

Quote:

That's a pretty wide age range. Why did you think Asians living/raised in Montreal would be die-hard Audio Technica fans? I'm an Asian living in Asia and there's no brand loyalty to the Japanese brand, just a recognition that it produces a lot of value-for-money headphones.

Nov 8, 2011 at 1:24 PM Post #2,578 of 5,506
I can totally understand Digitalfreak's beef and reason for venting.

Clearly anyone who had delved further into the realm of headphones, and I mean beyond the pad swapping, EQuing and buying portable headphones amps, but rather as stated, serious modding, driver installation, rewiring, extensive testing of FR, square waves, acoustic and sonic crucial testing, would find anyone swearing by the Beats (anyone of them), Bose or earlier models of SkullCandy as 'the best sound for anyone who is serious about music' offensive, arrogant and downright misleading. 

I'm not a serious modder and I can attest to just how annoying and infuriating this can be, especially when said headphones would cost nearly twice if not 3 times more than other headphone that would ACTUALLY produce the 'sound' that experts would consider is meant for 'serious music listeners'.

That said, the average consumer is what he is. I wouldn't be as condescending to call them stupid, but rather ignorant and ranging to as far as mildly informed. We've all been there at one point or another. If we're semi educated and have some expertise on one thing, I'm pretty sure that there are other fields we're simply not.  This is why I always try to implore the benchmark of objectivity. 
But I guess this varies from area to area, country to country and city to city.  Most here who shared those stories have had the personal experience with certain arrogant and ignorant/uninformed individuals who got in their face with those beats, and then claimed them to be the beginning and end all of headphones. So yeah, that one person who was wearing the HD650, AudioTechnica M50's, AKGQ701, Grado 80i/60i/Shure 840/440 would definitely be ready to burst.. either in laughter, shrug or a lecture about acoustics, hi-fidelity and sonicness. However, in my case, one who constantly taking the public transit, subways/trains .. I come across people wearing the Beats... and mostly they are late teens 18  to 35 range.. And mostly would either be Solos and Studios, but more studios than not. I've seen the Pros only twice (one white and one Silver) And this is while I was sporting the SRH440's. No one, and I mean no-one had came to me, approached me with any imposition or challenge or anything of that sort. And even stared a few dead in the eye for a few minutes, and nothing. Just went on their way peacefully. I've also seen people with AKG, Audio-technica and Sennheisers.  But from what I've seen, Sony's are worn most prominently, then Some Sennheiser/Bose and then rarely those Higher end ones. And I can't even say that I've seen any Grado worn outside. Though I did see the other day this dude wearing the 650's, which was a nice surprise.  But other than that, it's those white I-buds.  So, from this I can sort of make an educated generalization that if one of the majority of those average consumers decides to finally upgrade from the i-buds, goes into the Local Best-Buy/Futureshop or other, auditions the selection, which would mostly consist of a highly rigged Bose Station, Sony V500DJ (unampped, which sound tinny), some higher grade Skull-Candy (again, unampped), maybe the Sennheiser HD448, The Solos, Studios and The Pros...  Now, pricing asides here, which will impress and give that average consumer the biggest shock per sound... and I'm talking from ibuds upgrade. 
It will most likely be those Studios or Pros or even solos.. Due to the overbloated Mid-Bass. And clearly the mids and His (for whatever they may be), are still more impressive than the Ibuds on any day.  So if that average consumer has that $350 - $450 to spend, and he wants a portable headphone.. what do you think he'll buy and then show off as the best sound ever?

It's just that..  Shameless marketing at play, definitely..  But trust me, I've had many that asked me for headphone advice, and yes, many did mention right of the bat the Bose for being really of good sound.  And my immediate response was, 'well, Bose are good for certain things, Comfort, Noise Cancellation... But... if you're looking for sound quality, for that price you pay, I can name you at least 10 different headphones that are $100 cheaper that would sound better.'   Same goes for those who mentioned the beats.. 

And I am someone who auditioned all the beats extensively, and truth to be told, I liked what I heard from the Pros... But I would not pay that price...

Where are ya' all folks live that you get so much challenging with people wearing beats... I was never called out, not even once..

Just curious.

Nov 8, 2011 at 2:28 PM Post #2,579 of 5,506
This sounds like me, when selling phones at the hi-fi shop I work at. Someone comes in asking for bose for example, I tell them in a slightly disappointed fashion "Ohh Bose, unfortunately we decided not to carry them any more for various reasons. They are 'okay', but we have better options.". Sometimes I even tell them the Beats replaced the Bose because "they're better sounding", and sometimes it angers people (it's true we brought in monster to replace bose, for our average consumer market). The truth is, they're both in the same league, and I usually inform customer's to do more research, refer them to head-fi too! Some customers are arrogant and retort with non-sense like "Yeah, no, I love my Bose, most comfortable, reliable and best sounding phone I've owned": these kind of people are in denial, don't want to accept they're being "criticized" for their bad purchase even though I'm just instructing them. I've learned to let them be, and let them stay Bose lovers all they want.

What's good though, is that I sell people (who are initially looking for beats) on Grados, Sennheisers, Denon's and Shure on a daily basis. Let them try and compare headphone's I recommend within the price range with several amps, and straight out of their ipod; and they catch on that Beats are mediocre. Had a guy coming for beats pro two days ago, and got him to walk out with Denon D2000's.

I'm glad I can help some people!

Quote:

It's just that..  Shameless marketing at play, definitely..  But trust me, I've had many that asked me for headphone advice, and yes, many did mention right of the bat the Bose for being really of good sound.  And my immediate response was, 'well, Bose are good for certain things, Comfort, Noise Cancellation... But... if you're looking for sound quality, for that price you pay, I can name you at least 10 different headphones that are $100 cheaper that would sound better.'   Same goes for those who mentioned the beats.. 

Nov 8, 2011 at 5:28 PM Post #2,580 of 5,506
^Major victory! You're a hi-fi messiah, come to release the masses from the tirany of overpriced cans.

Shotor, I thought you meant me not DigitalFreak 
redface.gif
 I agree with what you said - and I too have not had anyone come up to me and ask what are these crappy things on my ears. Although like I said, ignorance does not bother me at all, most of my friends will live on their lives with iBuds. What bothers me is arrogance, people assuming they know about headphones because they bought some which are more expensive than others. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back