Getting "called-out" for not wearing the Beats
Oct 29, 2011 at 2:03 AM Post #2,536 of 5,506

Quote:
Sad part is, I think he was running his 800's straight from his ipod/ music player. Cable going straight into pocket, and space seemed aplenty.

Some people!

Well there is one guy around here who was saying that the HD800's sound fine out of an iPod. I wouldn't know myself since I haven't tried it.

While studying on campus, a group of students with Beats Studios walked by and were staring at me while wearing my SRH940's. They didn't say anything but it was kind of awkward watching them through my Macbook's reflection.

Oct 29, 2011 at 3:32 AM Post #2,538 of 5,506

Quote:
Well there is one guy around here who was saying that the HD800's sound fine out of an iPod. I wouldn't know myself since I haven't tried it.

While studying on campus, a group of students with Beats Studios walked by and were staring at me while wearing my SRH940's. They didn't say anything but it was kind of awkward watching them through my Macbook's reflection.

Maybe they were headphone afficionados who were shocked at seeing SRH940s in the wild.

Oct 29, 2011 at 3:39 AM Post #2,539 of 5,506
They were probably like "$300 headphones and a Mac, this guy thinks he's so cool huh?"
tongue_smile.gif
I'm going to get the SRH840 and since people say they are heavy and not "portable" i think i'm going to take them out for a spin...just for the lulz. Also i saw a thread where people said they aren't good for working out, but if they're heavy then wouldn't they be? Some extra weight while you do pull-ups
bigsmile_face.gif

Oct 29, 2011 at 4:21 AM Post #2,540 of 5,506

Quote:

Yes, the 940's definitely are. If anything, very underrated where compared with likes of Sennheiser's pricing and what they are known for. I'm very impressed with Shure, definitely making their name in the HiFi headphone market, both mainstream and Hifi realms.   And yes, Shure, all SRH models (well maybe not so much for the 550's) excel in the Mids and His department. No so much in the mid and upper midrange bass. So you don't get the very punchy Boomy bass, but it's definitely pronounced.  

Yeah, I wouldn't imagine anyone justifying HD800's pricetag despite their high fidelity performance. I think they're definitely worth $900.00 but half of that is with consideration to the design. It really does look years ahead of its time and it sure feels that way when you hold and wear them. And they have a really really wide sound stage. As for the guy who was walking with them on the street... Man, I have no clue how he could've managed to get any decent sound of them, that is if he was running them straight from a portable device.. There is no way it could do it justice. Those things need some serious juice. And they leak Sky-High..   That said, if I were to do some serious monitoring or production, and money is of no issue, I'd buy them in a second. As for casual around the home use, or casually listening to my iphone tunes, I'd buy the Grados Ps500, the fiio e5 amp and be happy go lucky. Because those PS500's are worth every penny, that I can guarantee you.    And by the way, every headphone was tested with a Bellari HA540 amp.. So you know it was enough juice in there to power a rocket ship.  And I wasn't impressed with the AKGQ701.. way way overrated.  Very comfortable... but way way overrated. In my opinion the Shure SRH840's do a better job.. but hey, that could be just me.

I haven't auditioned the LCD-2s, but they look insane. Well, for $900.00 they better sound good.

However, these are not for the Portable front as I still continue my search for Closed back over the ear portable headphones with Shure's High crisp mids and His and Solid low Bass impact. No amping.  I'd prefer not to EQ the phones since it goes against my philosophy that it destroys the intent of the designed sound of the headphones.. But, I could deal with that. 
So far, all I am getting is the XB700's as an answer, and to lesser extent, the 500's but... with heavy EQing.. and I mean, HEAVY.

I know this is off topic but I have to ask. I've been patiently waiting for reviews and so far the few that have been made on the PS500 thread's haven't gone into a lot of detail. What I want to know is if the PS500's are a departure from the standard Grado house sound? Is the PS500 a Grado that finally provides a good wide sound stage? I've seen some owners comment that it also has a nice bass, nice bass in what respect? Does the PS500 have a bass with some authority behind it or is it the standard tight Grado bass with no slam that pairs terrible with electronica? A grado with some sort of decent sound stage and some bass slam would be a God send in my book.

Oct 29, 2011 at 9:49 AM Post #2,541 of 5,506
I dun no about all that. It may be a step in the right direction, but it's like it's the new can every basshead wants. 
wink.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalFreak /img/forum/go_quote.gif

A grado with some sort of decent sound stage and some bass slam would be a God send in my book.

Oct 29, 2011 at 11:08 AM Post #2,542 of 5,506

Quote:

I love the idea of a "group of student with beats". They're starting to form clans. It's only a matter of time before they attack.

Oct 29, 2011 at 1:28 PM Post #2,545 of 5,506
> However, these are not for the Portable front as I still continue my search for Closed back over the ear portable headphones with Shure's High crisp mids and His and Solid low Bass impact. No amping.  I'd prefer not to EQ the phones since it goes against my philosophy that it destroys the intent of the designed sound of the headphones.. But, I could deal with that. So far, all I am getting is the XB700's as an answer, and to lesser extent, the 500's but... with heavy EQing.. and I mean, HEAVY.

I do not recommend XB700s unless you are really interested in heavy bass above all else. If I EQ a bass boost into my HD650's, the bass is better in every way than XB700's, and the mids and treble is leaps and bounds ahead.

Shure SRH-940 makes a Sennheiser HD650 sound like a muddled mess, and an HD650 makes XB700's sound like a muddy mess. So coming from hearing SRH940's, you'll be really disappointed with XB700's I think, if you're looking for that crisp detailed sound.

If you want crisp highs and powerful lows you should look into Ultrasone Pro 900. It wasn't for me because the highs on the Pro 900 are too piercing and siblant for me, but it might handle well if you EQ down the treble, I don't know (I forgot to try this while auditioning). In any case Pro 900's IMO have better bass and definitely better treble than XB700's

>  And I wasn't impressed with the AKGQ701.. way way overrated.  Very comfortable... but way way overrated. 

I have not personally heard AKG 701/702s, but I know Malvaux has directly compared an AKG701 with the SRH940, and found the SRH940 quite superior in every way. 

Oct 29, 2011 at 1:34 PM Post #2,546 of 5,506
Why not consider the XB1000 in that price range...? Honestly why is the 700 even being considered around 300 bucks? 

Haven't heard them personally but I really want to. Deep...deep bass and a more balanced sound than the Pro 900. Sounds great to me.

EDIT: I've said it time and time again I prefer the Pro 750 to the 900. Still plenty of bass, but more balanced.

Quote:
> However, these are not for the Portable front as I still continue my search for Closed back over the ear portable headphones with Shure's High crisp mids and His and Solid low Bass impact. No amping.  I'd prefer not to EQ the phones since it goes against my philosophy that it destroys the intent of the designed sound of the headphones.. But, I could deal with that. 
So far, all I am getting is the XB700's as an answer, and to lesser extent, the 500's but... with heavy EQing.. and I mean, HEAVY.

I do not recommend XB700s unless you are really interested in heavy bass above all else. If I EQ a bass boost into my HD650's, the bass is better in every way than XB700's, and the mids and trebles are leaps and bounds ahead.

Shure SRH-940 makes a Sennheiser HD650 sound like a muddled mess, and an HD650 makes XB700's sound like a muddy mess. So coming from hearing SRH940's, you'll be really disappointed with XB700's I think, if you're looking for that crisp detailed sound.

If you want crisp highs and powerful lows you should look into Ultrasone Pro 900. It wasn't for me because the highs on the Pro 900 are too piercing and siblant for me, but it might handle well if you EQ down the treble, I don't know (I forgot to try this while auditioning). In any case Pro 900's IMO have better bass and definitely better treble than XB700's

>  And I wasn't impressed with the AKGQ701.. way way overrated.  Very comfortable... but way way overrated. 

I have not personally heard AKG 701/702s, but I know Malvaux has directly compared an AKG701 with the SRH940, and found the SRH940 quite superior in every way. 

Oct 29, 2011 at 1:43 PM Post #2,547 of 5,506
I have not heard XB1000s, I can only speak for the XB700s and say their sound quality beyond bass is nothing special at all. Even their bass did not match even an equalized HD650 when I tested them. Most reviews I read seem to only refer to minor/slight improvements in the XB1000 vs XB700, except for better soundstage or something.

Oct 29, 2011 at 1:52 PM Post #2,548 of 5,506
http://www.head-fi.org/t/552034/final-thoughts-sony-mdr-xb1000-vs-ultrasone-pro-900-who-is-the-bass-king-pictures

Most of what I've read is that they are worth the jump from the XB700...It's unfair to compare a sub 100 dollar can with 300+ cans. EQ should be considered...but it can only take you so far with what you get for the money...

Quote:
I have not heard XB1000s, I can only speak for the XB700s and say their sound quality beyond bass is nothing special at all. Even their bass did not match even an equalized HD650 when I tested them. Most reviews I read seem to only refer to minor/slight improvements in the XB1000 vs XB700, except for better soundstage or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back