Getting "called-out" for not wearing the Beats
Oct 28, 2011 at 9:08 AM Post #2,521 of 5,506

Quote:
Hah, I had someone rip on me yesterday for buy a pair of PS500's. Telling me that I am an idiot for buying a bose knock off. I had no words.

Bose knock off ? LOL 
biggrin.gif

Oct 28, 2011 at 9:08 AM Post #2,522 of 5,506
You could have called him a idiot for calling your headphones a knock off of bose.   I never had this happen to me, But I dont wear my AKG K702s outside my APT as I dont want some one to steal them and because there open back. If some one said something to me like that I would just ignore them unless they follow me around. Then I will get on their case.

But this will not happen because like I said, I would never wear my AKGs outside the apt in the open. But yea I find it silly to say that he cant afford the beats for his reason of not liking them yet have headphones that cost 2x,3x more then the beats.but it a same for people thinking that the higher the cost of something the better it must be and those same people never listen non bose or non Monster headphones.

If monster solos sound like your right next to the instruments. Then that would drive me crazy just like slamming bass does.

Oct 28, 2011 at 9:33 AM Post #2,523 of 5,506
I saw some dude in public wearing HD800's this morning; kind of surprising, but I let him know he had nice headphones! Personally, I would never walk around with that,kind of inconvenient, and especially not outside in such cold weather.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Oct 28, 2011 at 1:46 PM Post #2,525 of 5,506

Quote:
I saw some dude in public wearing HD800's this morning; kind of surprising, but I let him know he had nice headphones! Personally, I would never walk around with that,kind of inconvenient, and especially not outside in such cold weather.

What the hell? sIf I was drinking hot coffee, I would have spilled it all over my screen. 1,500$ headphones out in the street?

Did he have a portable tube amp, or was he plugging them into the HO of his iPod?

Oct 28, 2011 at 1:58 PM Post #2,526 of 5,506
This was in the subway too, not the safest of places, but safe enough where I live, I guess. I wouldn't be afraid of getting mugged, but I still wouldn't carry such headphones on me...! (a tiny bit too bulky and inconvenient + risk of damage) The guy was playing around with his cable lmao, and me being me, I had to say something. Anyways, he was happy I noticed his headphones, and he responded to me with "Yeah these are my best headphones, I only wear them when it's dry outside" (in French).

I told him he was crazy, and he giggled saying "Whatever, I'm an audiophile!".

I actually had an urge to take his headphones away with me, to be honest; bring it home to a safer place lol. But anyhow

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Oct 28, 2011 at 2:53 PM Post #2,527 of 5,506
1,500 dollars on the street? It's a matter of time before he gets mugged. Maybe not considering the varying knowledge of headphones..

At any rate, if anyone ever says Beats are better than my headphones, or calls them cheap, we're going to have a ******* problem right there and then.

Oct 28, 2011 at 3:34 PM Post #2,528 of 5,506
I'm sorry but that's crazy. A 1500$ dollar OPEN headphone pair in the subway? The guy couldn't be right on his mind.

Anyway, today I saw someone else with the Solos. People don't seem do understand my country is facing a huge financial crisis!

Oct 28, 2011 at 3:35 PM Post #2,529 of 5,506

Quote:
I'm sorry but that's crazy. A 1500$ dollar OPEN headphone pair in the subway? The guy couldn't be right on his mind.

Anyway, today I saw someone else with the Solos. People don't seem do understand my country is facing a huge financial crisis!

Evidently there is a source of capital for them. Yeah, he probably is insane, or really rich.

Oct 28, 2011 at 4:30 PM Post #2,530 of 5,506
Whether this is coincidence or what, I'm really not sure, but somehow, the last few posts here discuss the HD800s. Funny, just a few days ago I had the chance to give those HD800's a good audition (amped of course), and you know what, not as bright as I expected, and definitely not worth $1500.00 pricetag.  However, construction wise.. Damn, comfort beyond belief. The material they're made out of, the construction, the sheer size of the cups and earpads... When I put them on, within 30 seconds I forgot I was wearing them.. They actually are very natural sounding (being open air and such) but they produce a relatively warmer sound signature in the upper midrange bass, yet produce very punchy bass response.   But then, I auditioned Grado PS500, which are about 1/3 of the price.  Okay, construction I give to sennheiser blindly here. However, Soundwise... Those Grados, they blew the HD800's out of the water. They actually sounded what I would imagine $500 headphones should sound like.  The same goes for AKG Q701. The Grados blew them away as-well.. 

But again, these are all headphones that need amping, of course, how could they not, with the HD800's 300ohm impedance... Forget about portability. 

But here's the biggest Surprise, Shure SRH940s... What a gem of headphones... but of course, need amping like there's no tomorrow..
So on the home front Grado and Shure would get my vote.. but for portable use, the Shure 440's actually sounded better and more balanced out of my iphone4 than all the other ones...

Makes you wonder.

Oct 28, 2011 at 4:54 PM Post #2,531 of 5,506
As many that use the ED 8 as a portable have said. He's probably not worried about getting mugged because no one recognizes them. Heck you take them to a local pawn shop and they'd want to give you maybe $100.

Not well known means they're not highly sought after by thieves. 

Also, being open...he could hear them coming. :D

Oct 28, 2011 at 7:25 PM Post #2,533 of 5,506
The SRH940 is definitely an incredible headphone for the price. Compared to my HD650 I'd say they sound just as good quality, but they both have different specialties. The SRH940 excels at mid to highs but lacks impactful lows, while the HD650 excels are lows to mids but lacks crisp highs.

I bought an Audio Technica AD2000 in hopes of combining the excellence of both, but that didn't work out (ultimately it was kind of like the worst of both, not the best of both), so I sold it (the AD2000).

On the topic of overpriced-ness, I haven't really heard anyone saying HD800's are truly worth the money. Of course you have to admit that headphone pricing goes up exponentially as quality increases, however I wonder if the HD800 is really better than an LCD-2 rev2, aside from comfort.

Oct 29, 2011 at 1:37 AM Post #2,534 of 5,506
Quote:
The SRH940 is definitely an incredible headphone for the price. Compared to my HD650 I'd say they sound just as good quality, but they both have different specialties. The SRH940 excels at mid to highs but lacks impactful lows, while the HD650 excels are lows to mids but lacks crisp highs.

I bought an Audio Technica AD2000 in hopes of combining the excellence of both, but that didn't work out (ultimately it was kind of like the worst of both, not the best of both), so I sold it (the AD2000).

On the topic of overpriced-ness, I haven't really heard anyone saying HD800's are truly worth the money. Of course you have to admit that headphone pricing goes up exponentially as quality increases, however I wonder if the HD800 is really better than an LCD-2 rev2, aside from comfort.

Yes, the 940's definitely are. If anything, very underrated where compared with likes of Sennheiser's pricing and what they are known for. I'm very impressed with Shure, definitely making their name in the HiFi headphone market, both mainstream and Hifi realms.   And yes, Shure, all SRH models (well maybe not so much for the 550's) excel in the Mids and His department. No so much in the mid and upper midrange bass. So you don't get the very punchy Boomy bass, but it's definitely pronounced.  

Yeah, I wouldn't imagine anyone justifying HD800's pricetag despite their high fidelity performance. I think they're definitely worth $900.00 but half of that is with consideration to the design. It really does look years ahead of its time and it sure feels that way when you hold and wear them. And they have a really really wide sound stage. As for the guy who was walking with them on the street... Man, I have no clue how he could've managed to get any decent sound of them, that is if he was running them straight from a portable device.. There is no way it could do it justice. Those things need some serious juice. And they leak Sky-High..   That said, if I were to do some serious monitoring or production, and money is of no issue, I'd buy them in a second. As for casual around the home use, or casually listening to my iphone tunes, I'd buy the Grados Ps500, the fiio e5 amp and be happy go lucky. Because those PS500's are worth every penny, that I can guarantee you.    And by the way, every headphone was tested with a Bellari HA540 amp.. So you know it was enough juice in there to power a rocket ship.  And I wasn't impressed with the AKGQ701.. way way overrated.  Very comfortable... but way way overrated. In my opinion the Shure SRH840's do a better job.. but hey, that could be just me.

I haven't auditioned the LCD-2s, but they look insane. Well, for $900.00 they better sound good.

However, these are not for the Portable front as I still continue my search for Closed back over the ear portable headphones with Shure's High crisp mids and His and Solid low Bass impact. No amping.  I'd prefer not to EQ the phones since it goes against my philosophy that it destroys the intent of the designed sound of the headphones.. But, I could deal with that. 
So far, all I am getting is the XB700's as an answer, and to lesser extent, the 500's but... with heavy EQing.. and I mean, HEAVY.

Oct 29, 2011 at 1:51 AM Post #2,535 of 5,506
Sad part is, I think he was running his 800's straight from his ipod/ music player. Cable going straight into pocket, and space seemed aplenty.

Some people!

Quote:

Yes, the 940's definitely are. If anything, very underrated where compared with likes of Sennheiser's pricing and what they are known for. I'm very impressed with Shure, definitely making their name in the HiFi headphone market, both mainstream and Hifi realms.   And yes, Shure, all SRH models (well maybe not so much for the 550's) excel in the Mids and His department. No so much in the mid and upper midrange bass. So you don't get the very punchy Boomy bass, but it's definitely pronounced.  

Yeah, I wouldn't imagine anyone justifying HD800's pricetag despite their high fidelity performance. I think they're definitely worth $900.00 but half of that is with consideration to the design. It really does look years ahead of its time and it sure feels that way when you hold and wear them. And they have a really really wide sound stage. As for the guy who was walking with them on the street... Man, I have no clue how he could've managed to get any decent sound of them, that is if he was running them straight from a portable device.. There is no way it could do it justice. Those things need some serious juice. And they leak Sky-High..   That said, if I were to do some serious monitoring or production, and money is of no issue, I'd buy them in a second. As for casual around the home use, or casually listening to my iphone tunes, I'd buy the Grados Ps500, the fiio e5 amp and be happy go lucky. Because those PS500's are worth every penny, that I can guarantee you.    And by the way, every headphone was tested with a Bellari HA540 amp.. So you know it was enough juice in there to power a rocket ship.  And I wasn't impressed with the AKGQ701.. way way overrated.  Very comfortable... but way way overrated. In my opinion the Shure SRH840's do a better job.. but hey, that could be just me.

I haven't auditioned the LCD-2s, but they look insane. Well, for $900.00 they better sound good.

However, these are not for the Portable front as I still continue my search for Closed back over the ear portable headphones with Shure's High crisp mids and His and Solid low Bass impact. No amping.  I'd prefer not to EQ the phones since it goes against my philosophy that it destroys the intent of the designed sound of the headphones.. But, I could deal with that. 
So far, all I am getting is the XB700's as an answer, and to lesser extent, the 500's but... with heavy EQing.. and I mean, HEAVY.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back