Getting "called-out" for not wearing the Beats
Jun 16, 2011 at 4:41 PM Post #586 of 5,506
The Sleeks are cancelled, and replaced by something that looks much less BA. I honestly don't think the Beats look that awesome...and the Shure SRH240 look close enough alike to those that want a similar looking headphone. Now the Phiatons look cool though.

Jun 16, 2011 at 4:44 PM Post #587 of 5,506
Hey guys. I have the Beats By Dre Studios. I realize they're not the greatest bang for buck phones' but i love their looks and i'm a basshead.

I'm just wondering if there are any $300 headphones that are at least semi-stylish and would appeal to a basshead like myself.
Thanks.

Jun 16, 2011 at 5:03 PM Post #589 of 5,506

Quote:
Hey guys. I have the Beats By Dre Studios. I realize they're not the greatest bang for buck phones' but i love their looks and i'm a basshead.

I'm just wondering if there are any $300 headphones that are at least semi-stylish and would appeal to a basshead like myself.
Thanks.

Pretty much anything by ultrasone.

Jun 16, 2011 at 6:38 PM Post #590 of 5,506
Yep, probably Ultrasone. Although if you're willing to spend 300 on a pair of headphones, you should be much more concerned about the sound than the looks. I for one have never seen a pair of headphones that look ugly to me nevermind, a picture of the Senn HD600 just popped into my head... fake marble >.<

Jun 16, 2011 at 7:08 PM Post #591 of 5,506
Ultrasone Pro 900, AIAIAI TMA-1.

Quote:

Thanks.

Jun 17, 2011 at 6:31 AM Post #594 of 5,506

Quote:

Thanks.

BeyerDynamic DT770 Premium (600 ohm ver.) are my go-to cans for house, goa, and wubstep*; I got 'em new off of Amazon for a song ($185; I think prices are back up to $250 now) and amp 'em with a Practical Devices XM6 (that'll run you a pretty penny - a new one costs ~$400; the XM5 are just as good amp-wise and is in the $300 range if the XM6 is too rich for your blood).

Pretty much anything over $200, you're going to need a good amp to appreciate the full sound. My DT770s were pretty anemic on the bass when I was just powering them from an ASUS Xonar Essence ST; proper amping and I can actually feel a 48Hz wobble bass. :3

Also, excellent noise-cancelling and isolation. Probably too excellent, sometimes... I can't hear people coming up on me. (Great for using in a mildly noisy environment, though, if you want to block out the rest of the world.)

Oh yeah, and as far as "style" goes - the external shell is a nice matte black-and-silver. You can get Manufaktur'd cans straight from the BeyerDynamic site, but expect that to kick the price up by another $100 or so; me, I'd say just get someone who's good at arts and crafts and have them paint the shell over however you want. Since the DT770s are solidly closed cans, you won't adversely affect the sound signature with a coat of paint on the exterior. (If you somehow alter the structure, though... like, say, drill holes? That'll change things up, and probably for the worse.)

*: in fact, any time dubstep comes up from my foobar shuffle, I immediately switch over to my DT770s from my AKG K702s; the difference is profound.

-- Griffinhart

Jun 17, 2011 at 6:35 AM Post #595 of 5,506
I tried my mate's Beats Solo HD last night. They are truly awful. I wanted to find something positive about the sound because I think they look quite cool, but I couldn't.

XB500 for £30 sound better.

Jun 17, 2011 at 9:47 AM Post #597 of 5,506

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffinhart /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Pretty much anything over $200, you're going to need a good amp to appreciate the full sound....

If you have Beyerdynamic 600ohm you will need a powerful desktop or non portable amps unless you upgrade cables to balanced cables.

Note that SE input to your headphone amp uses 2 channels as oppose to 4 channels in balanced cables.
So I say upgrade the cable first then headphone amps in that order.

Plugging in your DT 660ohm headphones to SE doesn't do much.

Jun 17, 2011 at 9:54 AM Post #598 of 5,506
I'd love someone to ask me the question in the OP.

However, my country only seems to import high quality brands (AKG, Sennheiser, etc.). There are no bad, overhyped products like Beats sold here, thankfully.

I'm not kidding.

ph34r.gif

Jun 17, 2011 at 11:16 AM Post #599 of 5,506

Quote:

Thanks.

According to Headfonia.com, the Audio Technica Pro700 Mk2.
http://www.headfonia.com/bass-to-the-power-of-two-pro700-mk2

Jun 17, 2011 at 11:23 AM Post #600 of 5,506
Still thinking a little about the DT 770 600Ohm for my new portable set up. It'd be so nice, but I wish they folded down ;~;.

Wanna cut custom foam for something in this (kinda) thin briefcase I have, and they're just too big. Still might just say screw it and go for the DT 770. Little skeptical on being properly powered, but we'll see. :D

Quote:
BeyerDynamic DT770 Premium (600 ohm ver.) are my go-to cans for house, goa, and wubstep*; I got 'em new off of Amazon for a song ($185; I think prices are back up to $250 now) and amp 'em with a Practical Devices XM6 (that'll run you a pretty penny - a new one costs ~$400; the XM5 are just as good amp-wise and is in the $300 range if the XM6 is too rich for your blood).

Pretty much anything over $200, you're going to need a good amp to appreciate the full sound. My DT770s were pretty anemic on the bass when I was just powering them from an ASUS Xonar Essence ST; proper amping and I can actually feel a 48Hz wobble bass. :3

Also, excellent noise-cancelling and isolation. Probably too excellent, sometimes... I can't hear people coming up on me. (Great for using in a mildly noisy environment, though, if you want to block out the rest of the world.)

Oh yeah, and as far as "style" goes - the external shell is a nice matte black-and-silver. You can get Manufaktur'd cans straight from the BeyerDynamic site, but expect that to kick the price up by another $100 or so; me, I'd say just get someone who's good at arts and crafts and have them paint the shell over however you want. Since the DT770s are solidly closed cans, you won't adversely affect the sound signature with a coat of paint on the exterior. (If you somehow alter the structure, though... like, say, drill holes? That'll change things up, and probably for the worse.)

*: in fact, any time dubstep comes up from my foobar shuffle, I immediately switch over to my DT770s from my AKG K702s; the difference is profound.

-- Griffinhart

Users who are viewing this thread

Back