Getting "called-out" for not wearing the Beats
Jun 17, 2011 at 11:36 AM Post #601 of 5,506

Quote:
If you have Beyerdynamic 600ohm you will need a powerful desktop or non portable amps unless you upgrade cables to balanced cables.

Note that SE input to your headphone amp uses 2 channels as oppose to 4 channels in balanced cables.
So I say upgrade the cable first then headphone amps in that order.

Plugging in your DT 660ohm headphones to SE doesn't do much.

Don't you think that's a huge step? I mean the guy is using the Beats, so getting a balanced set is a bit too much. Besides, he himself says he's a basshead and balanced is used to minimalize a small ammount of crossfeed or wtvr between the channels, I doubt he would notice the difference. And honestly a XLR recable isn't that good of an idea for a first DIY. Besides, it would mean getting a balanced amp, which would be more than his total budget.

Jun 17, 2011 at 11:47 AM Post #602 of 5,506
Quote:
If you have Beyerdynamic 600ohm you will need a powerful desktop or non portable amps unless you upgrade cables to balanced cables.

Note that SE input to your headphone amp uses 2 channels as oppose to 4 channels in balanced cables.

The 770/600s aren't very hard to drive...

Jun 17, 2011 at 4:21 PM Post #604 of 5,506
Because they're decently sensitive and don't have funky impedance curve that stresses the amp.  They're actually easy to drive properly.  They sound good on just about anything because cheap amps have less distortion when they don't have to put out as much current and higher impedance means less current

Higher impedance also means more voltage to get high volume so you'll need more voltage than most DAPs can provide, but pretty much any desktop amp and quite a few portables can get the job done.

Jun 17, 2011 at 7:45 PM Post #605 of 5,506

Quote:
I tried my mate's Beats Solo HD last night. They are truly awful. I wanted to find something positive about the sound because I think they look quite cool, but I couldn't.

XB500 for £30 sound better.

i disagree. unless best buys set up was rigged they sounded good to me. of course it doesn't help it was playing stock music but it still sounded much better then expected. BUT my genres of music would sound bad on them regardless.

Jun 17, 2011 at 8:52 PM Post #606 of 5,506
I just had some humorous run-ins with the infamous brands. My dad makes display cases for all sorts of companies, last time i was at his work and noticed a Skullcandy rack and i was like "oh he'll probably give me free headphones some day" because they get free stuff all the time. He got hooked up with earbuds i noticed and then one day he says "Hey i have something for you"
biggrin.gif
I'm ok let me see what the deal is with these things and then he takes out a t-shirt with the skullcandy logo on it
confused_face.gif
It's always funny trying to smuggle things into Goodwill that people give you as gifts and you don't want, hoping they never ask "hey why don't you ever wear the ___ that i got you?"
redface.gif

Then i saw the new Dre Chrysler commercial with the beats and my cousin says "Ohh mann those are sick headphones!! The Bass is like BOOOM" and i was going to say something but just bit my tongue......i'll go back to enjoying my Portapros, which i'm sure will receive a remark sooner or later....

Jun 17, 2011 at 11:10 PM Post #608 of 5,506
I was walking down the street and saw one of my old friends who had beats studios on. I had my HD25 with cMoy BB amp. The bass on the studios sure won, but hell, he tried the 25's on, and today he called me to tell me he's returned the beats. 

Granted with all the funny posts I've read, a few stuck out in my head. One post in the beginning of the thread mentioned a guy having beats headphones and an ipad and "what a tool" he probably... and there are a few other posts similar like that. While I don't know the circumstances, isn't it a bit harsh to judge someone by just their phones? I remember one of my friends buying an ipad 2 recently without much thought simply because it's marketed as essentially "The Best tablet". And with so much money being poured into the marketing for ipads, who wouldn't be fooled? Granted, the ipads aren't bad, just like the Tours aren't horrendous, I introduced my buddy to the Asus Transformer and he's loving that more than he's ever liked the ipad 2. To him, after seeing all the commercials and seeing billboards everywhere for the ipad 2, why wouldn't he believe that the ipad was really the best? 
I mean he should have done some research and all... but..
I guess all I'm saying is that snap judgments based on a persons phones can be a little harsh, right? 

Jun 17, 2011 at 11:16 PM Post #609 of 5,506
^ No those people don't even deserve our pity.

Seriously if I were to judge myself like that even 2 years ago I'd be like "This idiot is using iBuds out of an iPod, what a fool."

But once you find this website I expect more! :p

Jun 17, 2011 at 11:18 PM Post #610 of 5,506

Quote:

This:
Quote:
Don't you think that's a huge step? I mean the guy is using the Beats, so getting a balanced set is a bit too much. Besides, he himself says he's a basshead and balanced is used to minimalize a small ammount of crossfeed or wtvr between the channels, I doubt he would notice the difference. And honestly a XLR recable isn't that good of an idea for a first DIY. Besides, it would mean getting a balanced amp, which would be more than his total budget.

He's looking for bass, not perfect soundstaging and tonal reproduction. Also, the expense of getting a can recable (unless you're doing it yourself, and even then it'll cost you if it's your first time and/or want ridiculously expensive "audiophile-quality" cables) isn't something to sniff at. Suddenly your 250USD DT770s are pushing well into the 400USD range, and that's before you get your balanced amp, which means the phones are going to be underperforming regardless of your cabling.

Also, this:
Quote:
Because they're decently sensitive and don't have funky impedance curve that stresses the amp.  They're actually easy to drive properly.  They sound good on just about anything because cheap amps have less distortion when they don't have to put out as much current and higher impedance means less current

Higher impedance also means more voltage to get high volume so you'll need more voltage than most DAPs can provide, but pretty much any desktop amp and quite a few portables can get the job done.

Seems to imply that "hard to drive" and "hard to power" are two different things. (maverickronin, if I'm misinterpreting your words, feel free to correct me - I'm not particularly well-versed on the technical aspects of audiophilia.)

-- Griffinhart

Jun 17, 2011 at 11:25 PM Post #611 of 5,506

Quote:
I was walking down the street and saw one of my old friends who had beats studios on. I had my HD25 with cMoy BB amp. The bass on the studios sure won, but hell, he tried the 25's on, and today he called me to tell me he's returned the beats. 

Granted with all the funny posts I've read, a few stuck out in my head. One post in the beginning of the thread mentioned a guy having beats headphones and an ipad and "what a tool" he probably... and there are a few other posts similar like that. While I don't know the circumstances, isn't it a bit harsh to judge someone by just their phones? I remember one of my friends buying an ipad 2 recently without much thought simply because it's marketed as essentially "The Best tablet". And with so much money being poured into the marketing for ipads, who wouldn't be fooled? Granted, the ipads aren't bad, just like the Tours aren't horrendous, I introduced my buddy to the Asus Transformer and he's loving that more than he's ever liked the ipad 2. To him, after seeing all the commercials and seeing billboards everywhere for the ipad 2, why wouldn't he believe that the ipad was really the best? 
I mean he should have done some research and all... but..
I guess all I'm saying is that snap judgments based on a persons phones can be a little harsh, right? 

the new toshiba thrive tablet is upposed to be amazing. sorry for being off topic.
i haven't been called out for wearing beats in a long time but i have had people ask me how much my headphones were. i say they were $200 and they scoff them off and say they must have awesome bass like the beats. but they never call me out for not owning beats anymore. i do get people who ask me weather they should get the shure srh840 or beats and i say the shure is better value but have less bass. personally the last time i saw beats was a week ago on some really cute girl. to bad her choice in headphones is bad because she was really cute.

Jun 17, 2011 at 11:40 PM Post #613 of 5,506
u people must be young.  im too old for this crap.  who cares what kind your wearing. if people bother you, just apologize and walk away.  i recently sold my beat by dre solos, i dont think they sound too bad, they were good for dubstep and rap and had lots of punch.  They are the coolest looking headphone in my opinion.  The studios i will never own because i refuse to buy any headphone that requires batteries to work. i just use iem's for portables now.  i can certainly see myself buying solos again in the future when prices go down and have them painted a different color. 
bottom line is , is this is a good thing and makes me happy, that "a girl is wearing beats". Eventually they are gonna wonder what other sound devices are out there since they just opened their world up to good sound.  "audiophiles" have a bad stereotype of being snooty, rich, stuck up, annoying doo doo heads.  I wish that would go away.

Jun 18, 2011 at 12:04 AM Post #615 of 5,506
popcorn.gif
 i take it back

Users who are viewing this thread

Back