Getting "called-out" for not wearing the Beats
Apr 13, 2011 at 5:41 PM Post #376 of 5,506

Quote:
This hasn't happened to me yet but i always ask the question "why do people over-wearing your beats?" I mean I got the solos because i didn't feel like paying a lot of money for basically the same thing only as an over ear and I barley wore them out in public. I'm just saying that i think people overwear their beats. So I guess you should just tell them you wanted to put your money toward something better and you feel as though you don't need beats to feel good about yourself. 

No. IMO the Solos are much worse and you just wasted your money (unless you got them for dirt cheap). You should sell them on eBay and find a better 'phone. That's my take on it, anyways.

Apr 13, 2011 at 6:06 PM Post #377 of 5,506

Quote:
No. IMO the Solos are much worse and you just wasted your money (unless you got them for dirt cheap). You should sell them on eBay and find a better 'phone. That's my take on it, anyways.

Thats understandable, when I used them the studios they didn't really wow me enough for their price. The solos were a gift so i can't complain. That is a good idea though, i'm looking at the a-t M50s. Whats your opinion on them?

Apr 13, 2011 at 6:28 PM Post #378 of 5,506

Quote:
Thats understandable, when I used them the studios they didn't really wow me enough for their price. The solos were a gift so i can't complain. That is a good idea though, i'm looking at the a-t M50s. Whats your opinion on them?

Since they're the most suggested pair of headphones on Head-Fi, you shouldn't have trouble finding 40-lines reviews on them by searching =)

Apr 13, 2011 at 6:53 PM Post #379 of 5,506

Quote:

You can usually find them for around $100~120 (?), so you should definitely pick those up (and sell the Solos). As LizardKing said, they are one of the most highly-regarded 'phone on HF. I think there were some good deals on "The Deals Thread" (look it up) for the M50, so I would check there first.

Apr 13, 2011 at 7:19 PM Post #380 of 5,506
Getting back to the topic. I'm an intern at a local magazine, and our editor just picked up the Solo Beats. She was showing everyone how good they were. I was just sitting by myself editing pictures laughing to myself (listening to my Sr80i's).

My turn came around when she approached me to show off her headphones. I politely declined, and asked her if I could show her something. I unplugged my Grados and plugged in her Beats to my E5 (Phantom by Justice was playing), and I asked her to listen. After 30 secs I asked her if she could hear the hi hats. She nodded. I then asked her to try on my Grados. I laughed when her eyes got big, and her mouth opened. She finally heard the hi hats :p

After that she picked up her Beats and put them away inside her purse. 

Apr 14, 2011 at 1:51 AM Post #381 of 5,506
i think we might be going to far in terms of how bad the beats are. the beats studios are crap in my opinion, all i heard was noise and fuzz. but the monster beats pros is actually fairly good in my opinion, i like the beats pros more then my shure srh840s in some cases. yes they may be over priced but you are getting excellent build quality out of them. being made of metal really helps them. i would have no problems even paying up to $350 for them. i believe the other $100 is from the advertising done by dre. also the studios may be terrible but i didn't get a chance to properly try them as i was just with my pompous attitude that they suck. i think when you think they sound bad they will sound bad. i think the same goes for bose. the qc15 is very expensive for the sound quality but then again they are incredibly comfortable and have good noise cancelling. i think that bose actually isn't over priced and neither is monster in that regard. remember monster has to pay dr dre a lot of the profits and they have to pay for the advertising. i don't think i have seen any shure headphone ads in any videos or on tv, just saying. generally the most expensive to quality ratio have positives as well. for bose its the comfort and noise cancelling. for beats studios.... well their durability sucks and they have average sound quality and over priced but then again the beats pros are actually decent in terms of build. i actually kinda want beats pros now. also when it comes to bose they have excellent customer service and so does shure actually and shure tends to have overpriced iems. so by that logic other then the srh series and a few of their iems they should be put up on this list as well shouldn't they? look i hate beats the same as the next guy but i think a lot of you haven't even heard them and just go by what your told. and believe me if i hated the beats pros i wouldn't keep convincing myself to go to future shop just to audition them again. i even audition the beats studios and i have to say each time i listen they seam to get better. but they are still muddy. my shures are definitely better then the studios. i challenge you all to go try the beats with your own source. you be the judge. don't let others tell you otherwise.

Apr 14, 2011 at 2:12 AM Post #382 of 5,506

In my ears they're still overpriced muddy gear, but that's just me. There are so many alternatives that are not only cheaper, but also of better quality. The only positive thing I see coming from Beats or Bose headphones is that regular people are finally realizing that music can sound so much better than they're used to.
Quote:
i think we might be going to far in terms of how bad the beats are. the beats studios are crap in my opinion, all i heard was noise and fuzz. but the monster beats pros is actually fairly good in my opinion, i like the beats pros more then my shure srh840s in some cases. yes they may be over priced but you are getting excellent build quality out of them. being made of metal really helps them. i would have no problems even paying up to $350 for them. i believe the other $100 is from the advertising done by dre. also the studios may be terrible but i didn't get a chance to properly try them as i was just with my pompous attitude that they suck. i think when you think they sound bad they will sound bad. i think the same goes for bose. the qc15 is very expensive for the sound quality but then again they are incredibly comfortable and have good noise cancelling. i think that bose actually isn't over priced and neither is monster in that regard. remember monster has to pay dr dre a lot of the profits and they have to pay for the advertising. i don't think i have seen any shure headphone ads in any videos or on tv, just saying. generally the most expensive to quality ratio have positives as well. for bose its the comfort and noise cancelling. for beats studios.... well their durability sucks and they have average sound quality and over priced but then again the beats pros are actually decent in terms of build. i actually kinda want beats pros now. also when it comes to bose they have excellent customer service and so does shure actually and shure tends to have overpriced iems. so by that logic other then the srh series and a few of their iems they should be put up on this list as well shouldn't they? look i hate beats the same as the next guy but i think a lot of you haven't even heard them and just go by what your told. and believe me if i hated the beats pros i wouldn't keep convincing myself to go to future shop just to audition them again. i even audition the beats studios and i have to say each time i listen they seam to get better. but they are still muddy. my shures are definitely better then the studios. i challenge you all to go try the beats with your own source. you be the judge. don't let others tell you otherwise.

Apr 14, 2011 at 2:16 AM Post #383 of 5,506

Quote:
In my ears they're still overpriced muddy gear, but that's just me. There are so many alternatives that are not only cheaper, but also of better quality. The only positive thing I see coming from Beats or Bose headphones is that regular people are finally realizing that music can sound so much better than they're used to.

i found the beats studios overpriced and muddy but like i said i thought the beats pros weren't all that bad. but that is just my opinion from personal experience. yes they were a little muddy but they were really fun and enjoyable. and i found metal music actually sounded great with them. i still think we are blowing this whole beats are trash thing out of proportion.

Apr 14, 2011 at 2:17 AM Post #384 of 5,506

[size=medium]
I have to say... I've done the reverse. One of my roommate's co-workers has a pair of Beats and was showing them off a little. So... I brought out my Denons.

I felt a little bad afterwards.
[/size]

Apr 14, 2011 at 2:43 AM Post #385 of 5,506
I guess the type of music that you listen to will influence what you think of headphones in general. Metal guitars are usually driven through solid states amps as opposed to jazz or blues, in which tube amps are preferred (warm sound). This would also influence the way the songs are mixed, for example the cymbals and hi hats are often compressed and overpowered by guitars in metal. In other genres soundstage is usually mixed better, and the individual instruments can be appreciated to their full extent. I have tried all the available beats and I would take my SR80i or K701 anytime over them, the lack of detail is the biggest downer for me (and the price too, haha).

Quote:
i found the beats studios overpriced and muddy but like i said i thought the beats pros weren't all that bad. but that is just my opinion from personal experience. yes they were a little muddy but they were really fun and enjoyable. and i found metal music actually sounded great with them. i still think we are blowing this whole beats are trash thing out of proportion.

Apr 14, 2011 at 7:17 AM Post #386 of 5,506

Quote:
I guess the type of music that you listen to will influence what you think of headphones in general. Metal guitars are usually driven through solid states amps as opposed to jazz or blues, in which tube amps are preferred (warm sound). This would also influence the way the songs are mixed, for example the cymbals and hi hats are often compressed and overpowered by guitars in metal. In other genres soundstage is usually mixed better, and the individual instruments can be appreciated to their full extent. I have tried all the available beats and I would take my SR80i or K701 anytime over them, the lack of detail is the biggest downer for me (and the price too, haha).

Yeah but neither of those are bass-oriented headphones. If you don't like bass headphones, then you certainly wouldn't appreciate Beats. The best way to size up the Beats are to compare them to other headphones of a similar sound signature, not with headphones that were never designed to accentuate bass. If you don't like bass, you could never even begin to compare them with bass headphones you may like. IMO, I still don't glorify the quality of these headphones, but they are in no way comparable to the 701's or to sr80i's emphasis on highs.

Apr 14, 2011 at 1:57 PM Post #387 of 5,506
The Beats are not very common in my town, and the only people I see wearing them are black (please don't infer that as a racist comment, it is simply my observation).

Actually, I don't see very many Skullcandies either. Lots of Sony (mainly the mid-size models and the occasional XB) and a lot of the Panasonic HTX7.

Apr 14, 2011 at 3:01 PM Post #388 of 5,506
It's one thing to be overpriced, and yet still be a good piece of gear.  It's quite another to be overpriced and a piece of junk to boot.  Every iteration of the Beats - every single one - sounds like Rosie O'Donnell after a night at Taco Bell.

Quote:

Apr 14, 2011 at 3:28 PM Post #389 of 5,506
I used to see a lot of HTX7s.... But now they have been replaced with Beats. Sad really, because the Panasonic HTX7 is a decent can for the price, and even better when modded.

Quote:
The Beats are not very common in my town, and the only people I see wearing them are black (please don't infer that as a racist comment, it is simply my observation).

Actually, I don't see very many Skullcandies either. Lots of Sony (mainly the mid-size models and the occasional XB) and a lot of the Panasonic HTX7.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back