Getting "called-out" for not wearing the Beats
Apr 10, 2011 at 11:42 PM Post #346 of 5,506
Haven't been called out yet, at least not openly. I've had my buddy pick up my HD25 and ask "are these are like the beats?" Out of laziness and apathy I just said yes. He took a listen, bobbed his head for a second then put them down without a word.

Apr 11, 2011 at 7:56 AM Post #347 of 5,506

Quote:
i returned my shure srh750djs, they weren't for me. way to much bass. i replaced them with the shure srh840 which i am happy to say is much better.

I went to a store that wouldn't allow me to demo the 750's (because they weren't on display) but I got to have a listen to the 840's. They sounded a bit bland to me, not as lively, and to be honest I didn't want to spend $200 on headphones that were precise but lacked any enthusiasm. And about the headband, I must agree that it does make the headphones look a little odd on the head. I haven't done anything about it, but I'm strongly considering it.

Apr 11, 2011 at 10:56 AM Post #348 of 5,506
I like precise cans every noe and then, and that's exactly what the 840s are. I've heard that some people find them boring, but I guess you have to be in the mood for flatness.

I went to a store that wouldn't allow me to demo the 750's (because they weren't on display) but I got to have a listen to the 840's. They sounded a bit bland to me, not as lively, and to be honest I didn't want to spend $200 on headphones that were precise but lacked any enthusiasm. And about the headband, I must agree that it does make the headphones look a little odd on the head. I haven't done anything about it, but I'm strongly considering it.

Apr 11, 2011 at 11:25 AM Post #349 of 5,506

Quote:
I like precise cans every noe and then, and that's exactly what the 840s are. I've heard that some people find them boring, but I guess you have to be in the mood for flatness.

Quote:

funny, i don't find them boring at all. i think they have the perfect amount of bass.

Apr 11, 2011 at 1:48 PM Post #351 of 5,506
If you find them too bland, you can aways use the sacriligeous art of EQing. It's not perfect. but better than having a pair for every kind of music.
Honestly, I like having the SRH750 for fun listening, they sound precise enough to me when I'm out. Maybe if I knew what I know today, I would have bought something slightly more neutral and clean, but I don't regret my purchase. In the future, I plan on buying some really good open cansand use those at home, while using the SRH750 in the library and such.

Apr 11, 2011 at 2:36 PM Post #354 of 5,506
Quote:
this is off topic but you guys are talking about it ... the shure headphones, would they good for games?

Funny thing Shure's HQ isn't too far from me.   

Walk into their lobby and just scream that you want to play Call of Duty. Then ask the receptionist if she could accompany you to their games and fun expert. When she says they do not have one, yell "how dare you" and challenge her to a duel. Act insulted for a while and you'll eventually get a free Shure SRH840. Win.

Apr 11, 2011 at 2:54 PM Post #356 of 5,506

Quote:
Quote:
Walk into their lobby and just scream that you want to play Call of Duty. Then ask the receptionist if she could accompany you to their games and fun expert. When she says they do not have one, yell "how dare you" and challenge her to a duel. Act insulted for a while and you'll eventually get a free Shure SRH840. Win.

HAHAH .. that would be interesting .. to bad most likely i won't get a free set , the cops i'm sure will come and taser my ass first

Apr 11, 2011 at 4:00 PM Post #357 of 5,506

Quote:
Quote:

XD I laughed.

Apr 11, 2011 at 5:52 PM Post #358 of 5,506
On a side note as well, I was wondering if any of you knew if the Grado 225i's were a "fun" oriented headphone, or at least under the terms I would deem it as. I was interested in exploring more of an emphasis in the mid/treble frequencies, and a pair of headphones that were crisp and high/mid but not neutral. I was sort of considering grado's, but nothing over $200. I don't plan on dumping the Shure's, I just want a variety. Plus the Grado's would look much better on the head for portable purposes, as the Shure's are a little oddly shaped. Anyways I should probably take off from this thread right around now, before we all get in trouble for our off-topicness.

Apr 11, 2011 at 7:28 PM Post #359 of 5,506

Quote:
On a side note as well, I was wondering if any of you knew if the Grado 225i's were a "fun" oriented headphone, or at least under the terms I would deem it as. I was interested in exploring more of an emphasis in the mid/treble frequencies, and a pair of headphones that were crisp and high/mid but not neutral. I was sort of considering grado's, but nothing over $200. I don't plan on dumping the Shure's, I just want a variety. Plus the Grado's would look much better on the head for portable purposes, as the Shure's are a little oddly shaped. Anyways I should probably take off from this thread right around now, before we all get in trouble for our off-topicness.

The 225i's are very well regarded here. I never tried them, and never read a lot abou them, so no comments on the sound signature or wether you would enjoy them. One thing though: they are open headphones. The main difference in full-size headphones is wether they're closed or open. Open headphones have better soundstage and a more natural feel to them, since they are more airy, however they will leak a lot of noise and isolate poorly. For portable use this isn't recommended, since you would hear everything around you over the music - and everyone would hear a bit of your music.

Apr 11, 2011 at 8:36 PM Post #360 of 5,506

Quote:

The 225i's are very well regarded here. I never tried them, and never read a lot abou them, so no comments on the sound signature or wether you would enjoy them. One thing though: they are open headphones. The main difference in full-size headphones is wether they're closed or open. Open headphones have better soundstage and a more natural feel to them, since they are more airy, however they will leak a lot of noise and isolate poorly. For portable use this isn't recommended, since you would hear everything around you over the music - and everyone would hear a bit of your music.

Eh, I do know that, but I'm willing to sacrifice. Sometimes open is a benefit, so you know where the car is before it hits you
tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back