Getting "called-out" for not wearing the Beats
Jul 7, 2011 at 8:55 AM Post #961 of 5,506
Isn't there a "no foul language" rule on this forum? Please everyone, abide by it so this thread doesn't get shut down...

Thanks 
k701smile.gif

Jul 7, 2011 at 11:33 AM Post #962 of 5,506
Typical conversation for me:

'What is that on your iPod?'
'An amplifier.'
'Does it make it sound better?'
'Yes.' (Headphones back on)

I rarely get more questions than that. Then it gets technical and they get confused. Ends the same way either way though I suppose. lol

Quote:

It goes pretty far for me, friends looked at the block fastened to my iPod and immediately assumed it "makes the sound better."

Jul 7, 2011 at 11:52 AM Post #963 of 5,506

Quote:

'An amplifier.'

I rarely get more questions than that. Then it gets technical and they get confused. Ends the same way either way though I suppose. lol

they just usually say
why do you need it louder?

Jul 7, 2011 at 12:05 PM Post #964 of 5,506
'Because these are 600 Ohm headphones.'
'What's that mean?'
'It means they need and amp to get loud.'
'Oh, okay...'

Most people don't like the feeling of discussing something they don't know about (from what I've seen) and it usually stops there, if it even gets that far.

Quote:
they just usually say
why do you need it louder?

Jul 7, 2011 at 12:21 PM Post #965 of 5,506
I don't think there are many hobbies out there that are financially justifiable from a strict "necessity" viewpoint. Whenever someone rags on me for spending money on audio equipment, I simply point out their own excessive spending on one of their hobbies. Cars, high performance PCs, smoking, and designer fashion are subjects that apply to 99% of the people I know and thus are the topics I usually aim for.

Quote:
I've never been called out for not having beats, but a lot of my friends frown upon me spending $100+ on headphones, people that make music and care about it. They don't care about the quality though. I have one friend who's mildly interested, but he's been teetering for a while now. I'd bring my Ad900 for my friends to try, but I don't want to risk them breaking. My girlfriend loves them though and understands why they cost so much, in-fact she bought them for me.

Jul 7, 2011 at 6:35 PM Post #966 of 5,506

Quote:

'An amplifier.'

Depending on the person, I usually just say it's an external power/battery source and I won't get any more questions.

Jul 7, 2011 at 7:44 PM Post #967 of 5,506

Quote:
I don't think there are many hobbies out there that are financially justifiable from a strict "necessity" viewpoint. Whenever someone rags on me for spending money on audio equipment, I simply point out their own excessive spending on one of their hobbies. Cars, high performance PCs, smoking, and designer fashion are subjects that apply to 99% of the people I know and thus are the topics I usually aim for.

I used to be into airsoft. Spent at least $600 on an M4 before deciding that was not worth it. I remember being on the forums and some people had over $10,000 in airsoft weapons. TOY GUNS! Anyways just like I cant justify that, you should see my friends' faces when I tell them how much my D2000s were. And I consider this a budget setup until I get me some D7000s. Everyone needs that hobby whether its cars, dank, or clothes.

I saw this in a comment on youtube. Some people are just indifferent about SQ, I dont believe its their fault theyre not audiophiles. 

"Doesn't matter for me, I don't care if they're not the best headphones ever, they're pretty good and the noise cancelling is also not that bad, plus, as you said, they are "cool" or in other words they look awesome, not just because they are in music videos, I rarely even look at music videos :)

Jul 7, 2011 at 8:17 PM Post #968 of 5,506

Bose speakers sound extremely good. I've never heard the headphones though, I'm guessing they are a bit muddy compared to most.
Quote:
Yes, and it is unbelievably bad... 
If you're not wearing Bosé (as people I know call it in a desperate attempt to make it sound fancy) or Beats by Dre, people think you wasted your money on any headphones not those two that are more than $100, mainly because they think they "look cool". I laugh at how wrong they are...

But it's very easy to sway Bose fans because they genuinely believe Bose have the greatest sound quality; and when they hear good headphones, 0.0 their reactions are worth the frustration.

Jul 7, 2011 at 9:30 PM Post #969 of 5,506

Quote:
Bose speakers sound extremely good. I've never heard the headphones though, I'm guessing they are a bit muddy compared to most.

Uhm, which ones? The only two I'd consider recommending to people are the old 501 (relatively common to find for like $75) and 901. I really like the latter for its quirkiness. Every other Bose system I've heard was decent at best, but easily outclassed.

Jul 7, 2011 at 10:54 PM Post #970 of 5,506
It was a large sized stand alone dock speaker for iPod, but Bose.

By the way I tried the $180 Beats Solo. Wow, just so muddy! The Beats Studio had decent SQ and above average bass quality, but just a LOT of bass, way too much for me. The sound of course was pretty muddy but not as much as the Solo, which sounded horrible.

While I was at Best Buy I tried the Roc Skullcandy headphones. Now, I haven't been accustomed to a hi-fi quality bassy headphone for too long so I don't know if the price is right but they actually sounded decent. They put emphasis on the bass and treble but there was no where near as much bass as the Beats. Punchier but still veiled the frequency range, as any popular head phone. 

The Klipsch Image One on the other hand SUCKED MAJOR ASS. It wouldn't be much different to put only subwoofers in a headphone casing! The Philips O'neil stretch headphones were better on bass level but still sounded bad. In my opinion:

Roc Skullcandy ($150) > HD 201 ($30) > Beats Studio ($300) > Philips - O'Neill ($80) > Beats Solo ($180) > Klipsch Image One ($140)

The Sony MDR-NC60 ($180) didn't have a detachable plug so I couldn't compare with my HD 201s, but they sounded significantly better than my HD 201s based on what I heard (it was some crappy R&B demo music). 

I'm waiting on my Sennheiser HD 438 to come in the mail, which should blow any of these out of the water.

Jul 7, 2011 at 10:59 PM Post #971 of 5,506
is it just me or is detachable cables becoming the new standard?

Jul 7, 2011 at 11:04 PM Post #972 of 5,506
Bose speakers are lousy. Their ipod docks are pretty good and better than a lot of others, but also overpriced for what it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back