Getting "called-out" for not wearing the Beats
Jan 16, 2012 at 2:26 PM Post #3,661 of 5,506
I first heard the solos before I even knew head-fi existed, and it was pretty clear they sounded rather bad. That said I had been using HD 280 Pros, which isn't a point of reference most people have who are trying beats.

Interestingly enough, I tried them purely out of curiosity just because a friend's brother was raving about wanting them so much because everyone in his school had them and it was the "cool" thing. Funny thing is he didn't care about the sound quality at all, he just wanted to fit in to his school because all the "cool" kids had them.

That was a few years ago, and I guess that wave of kids are now flowing into college, which explains the recent influx of beats on campus this year. I never noticed any before except for maybe one or two here and there, but this year the place is flooded with them. As in, it's literally impossible to walk 50 feet without passing half a dozen people wearing them.

Jan 16, 2012 at 2:38 PM Post #3,662 of 5,506

Quote:
I first heard the solos before I even knew head-fi existed, and it was pretty clear they sounded rather bad. That said I had been using HD 280 Pros, which isn't a point of reference most people have who are trying beats.

Interestingly enough, I tried them purely out of curiosity just because a friend's brother was raving about wanting them so much because everyone in his school had them and it was the "cool" thing. Funny thing is he didn't care about the sound quality at all, he just wanted to fit in to his school because all the "cool" kids had them.

That was a few years ago, and I guess that wave of kids are now flowing into college, which explains the recent influx of beats on campus this year. I never noticed any before except for maybe one or two here and there, but this year the place is flooded with them. As in, it's literally impossible to walk 50 feet without passing half a dozen people wearing them.

Same experience i have had in my area sadly

Jan 16, 2012 at 3:01 PM Post #3,663 of 5,506

Quote:
Heh, I remember a time when Shotor was pro-solos a while back. And yes khaos was obviously joking... I found the post rather funny, but I was afraid to +1 it in fear some non-audiophile reading this forum would take that to mean it's non-sarcastic truth.

WhhAATT??
angry_face.gif

Dude, I never EVER was pro Solos.
There's definitely some misreading or miscomprehension on your part. I always retained that I never liked the Solos. The only good merits about them that I noted was that they have ample bass, they're very portable, collapsible and not all that bad looking.  When I held them, they felt solid, though after seeing enough of them broken on demos displays, and from numerous consumer reports stating that they break easy, my opinion of their construction is even less than before.  

What you might recall, which you're interjecting with now, is that I didn't have a bad or a negative opinion on the Studios or the Pros, which I really don't. I give credit where credit is due, and criticize as objectively as I can.  I always retained that the Studios were not bad sounding, and in fact, when I tested them off of DJ mixing board, they sounded pretty sharp, but not $350 sharp, and nowhere as detailed as other less expensive counterparts (SRH840/440,750, Sennheiser HD280, Sony MDRV7/6). I also retained that the Pros were my favorite of them all, and if they were about half the pricetag, I might seriously consider getting them. A. For a very fun sound, and B, for being very portable and very well built. For $200 I could deal with comfort issues no problem.

If you recall, my only issue with the beats bashing on this board was unfair and overbearing undeserving bashing (overkill) of those headphones. And to the latter extent, made by members who didn't actually take the proper time of testing them properly. Believe what you will, but even the Solos require more than 2 minutes of auditioning for a fair critique. I also, reiterated the argument that sometimes comparing a clearly higher grade headphones of the same price to the Pros should involve consideration to whether or how, if at all, the compared headphones are portable.  Remember that the entire Beats headphones lineup is meant for portable use. Yes, they're marketed or ad-campaign states studios and DJ uses, which could be used for. However, clearly from design, they're geared for portable use as they come with detachable relatively shorter cables and are easily driven by portable devices (note that amping them won't benefit them that much as let's say amping the SRH940, HD280 or such..)   Those were my comments previously.  And I still stand by them. However, the last few posts were not discussing them.

Jan 16, 2012 at 3:12 PM Post #3,664 of 5,506

Quote:

WhhAATT??
angry_face.gif

If you recall, my only issue with the beats bashing on this board was unfair and overbearing undeserving bashing (overkill) of those headphones. And to the latter extent, made by members who didn't actually take the proper time of testing them properly. Believe what you will, but even the Solos require more than 2 minutes of auditioning for a fair critique. I also, reiterated the argument that sometimes comparing a clearly higher grade headphones of the same price to the Pros should involve consideration to whether or how, if at all, the compared headphones are portable.  Remember that the entire Beats headphones lineup is meant for portable use. Yes, they're marketed or ad-campaign states studios and DJ uses, which could be used for. However, clearly from design, they're geared for portable use as they come with detachable relatively shorter cables and are easily driven by portable devices (note that amping them won't benefit them that much as let's say amping the SRH940, HD280 or such..)   Those were my comments previously.  And I still stand by them. However, the last few posts were not discussing them.

It's the sad but truth fact of us snobs. We too good for Beats so we just bash. heck this is a bashing thread :)

Jan 16, 2012 at 3:25 PM Post #3,665 of 5,506
I think that the target market for beats might not be too sharp, 
for example my dormmate has studios, and told me that they had stopped working. He said they had stopped working 2 or 3 weeks ago. I looked at them for 2 minutes and fixed them.
the problem? He had the batteries the wrong way round.

Ps. Sorry for ruining the sarcastic streak this thread has seemed to morph into

Jan 16, 2012 at 3:30 PM Post #3,666 of 5,506

Quote:
I think that the target market for beats might not be too sharp, 
for example my dormmate has studios, and told me that they had stopped working. He said they had stopped working 2 or 3 weeks ago. I looked at them for 2 minutes and fixed them.
the problem? He had the batteries the wrong way round.

Ps. Sorry for ruining the sarcastic streak this thread has seemed to morph into

do you think..the target market..one that wears the beats on their cranium like little ears......are smart?

Jan 16, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #3,667 of 5,506
No, they just obviously have more money than they know what to do with, follow the crowd and value looks above sound quality.
Its just odd how even the cleverest people at my school can be so stupid about commercial things. IMO its all pOpularity at my age

Jan 16, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #3,668 of 5,506
Well as long as people admit full on that they're simply bitter and want to bash... so bash..
But those who do know enough where a line has been crossed.

Example: If I'd say, "Man, I'm sick of seeing and hearing how great the studios are... I have a pair of HD280 and after listening to the studios for 10 minutes, I nearly puked..  They suck, big time..' 

That is bashing...

But if I were to say, 'Man, when all these people who buy beats will learn? It's like a community of retards listening to specific music that promotes this mentality.. Well, if you like listening to cheaply made music through overpriced retard consumer driven necklace of a headphone.. then be my guest'

That is crossing the line in my book.

Jan 16, 2012 at 3:50 PM Post #3,669 of 5,506
I'm really not sure what your point is in saying "you can't judge Beats in listening for less than _ hours", when you yourself say they're not very good for the price. So it's okay for you to say they're not good for the price, but if I listen for 10 minutes and determine the same thing, somehow that's "crossing a line"? Sorry, that's just silly. It doesn't take very long to come to the same assessment of Beats that most everyone agrees on -- and that includes people here who have given them serious listening time. I'm not sure why you're so sensitive about how "delicately" we speak of the Beats here, as though if we are too harsh about the hard reality, we might hurt someone's feelings.

When I first heard Beats Solos, the first thing that came to mind was "wow those actually sound kind of bad", and this was before I was an "audiophile". This is not bashing, it's pure, honest, observation. Just because a review is negative does not make it bashing.

Jan 16, 2012 at 4:00 PM Post #3,670 of 5,506
It's funny how Jimmy Iovine says that music is degrading from Vinyls to CD to Digital formats or as the consumer will say mp3's. He's a little bit right but he's also very wrong. It's not the quality of the media that's degrading, formats like FLAC or ALAC provides same quality as CD's but in a digital, portable format. But it's more of the thoughts on music of the general consumer that's degrading. The inexperienced consumer wouldn't care less if it's 64kbps or 128kbps or 320kbps files or if it's badly recorded and heavily compressed because of the effect of the loudness war. I think it's music in general that's degrading, not technology.

It's also funny seeing people listening with their Beats but totally ignores the quality of the music. It's like driving a nice expensive sports car but only to notice that it's engine is a cheap 4 cylinder engine that doesn't make much power but the driver ignores it because he says that he'll never go beyond the speed limit.
Pathetic.

Jan 16, 2012 at 4:05 PM Post #3,671 of 5,506
A FLAC can give you quality that is literally leagues and leagues beyond the quality of any Vinyl, just as surely as gravity exists. I'm not joking.

You're absolutely right that the problem today isn't the technology, but the music in general.

Jan 16, 2012 at 4:09 PM Post #3,672 of 5,506

Quote:
A FLAC can give you quality that is literally leagues and leagues beyond the quality of any Vinyl, just as surely as gravity exists. I'm not joking.

You're absolutely right that the problem today isn't the technology, but the music in general.

I prefer both really. i don't like oldies. i like the song Imagine by john lenon and sing for the moment. but the recessed vocals and recording is terrible IMO

Jan 16, 2012 at 4:15 PM Post #3,673 of 5,506

Quote:

Can you detail a little bit more on how can FLAC be immensely better than Vinyl? Is it something with the bit depth and sample rate of music? Like 16 bit; 44'100 kHz or 24 bit 96'000 kHz?
I have yet to hear music with a 24 bit depth and 96'000 kHz sample rate (I'm not really there yet when it comes to technical terms)

Jan 16, 2012 at 4:27 PM Post #3,674 of 5,506

Quote:
Can you detail a little bit more on how can FLAC be immensely better than Vinyl? Is it something with the bit depth and sample rate of music? Like 16 bit; 44'100 kHz or 24 bit 96'000 kHz?
I have yet to hear music with a 24 bit depth and 96'000 kHz sample rate (I'm not really there yet when it comes to technical terms)

I like FLAC a bit more due to no pops. IT is bit by bit perfect. Vinyl has pops and hiss. This is not inteneded but an after effect of the meidum the data/information is etched on.

I have good Vinyl's and those i would definatley take over FLAC then. So basically a very good Vinyl can beat FLAC. however. the majority of the time, the one's you find online have way too much hiss.

My best song is Hotel California by the Eagles. 24/192 :) ....and wow. just wow...don't know how to describe how good it just sounds. Of course how good it sounds also deals with how good the recording quality and mastering is and this one is pretty good. add in the 24/192 and ..wow perfect.

Jan 16, 2012 at 4:32 PM Post #3,675 of 5,506
I would really like to try how music sounds in 24/192. Is there a way to try and listen to one? And Flac 24/192 vs. SACD. Which one is better? I have currently one SACD (Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral Deluxe) and I think to properly hear the full quality of SACD, I need a SACD player right? And is it possible to rip it (the SACD quality files) in a digital format?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back