German Made Headphones Under $500
Feb 15, 2011 at 9:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

abunzack

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone, it has been a long time since I have logged on.  I need the head-fi communities assistance in finding a new headphone set. 

I have been looking at different headphones...mostly sennheiser, and want them to be made in Germany or Japan and around or below 500 dollars.

Any advise will be appreciated...

Thanks,

Zack

Feb 15, 2011 at 9:21 PM Post #2 of 21
I am looking for specific models, ie hd-650, etc... many of them are made in China or Ireland.  If i cannot find a descent pair (in price range) made in Germany I am thinking 650s or 280s??  From what I know they are both made in Ireland.

Feb 15, 2011 at 9:28 PM Post #4 of 21
Beyerdynamic, Ultrasone, and Sennheiser are the German brands around here, while Denon and Audio-Technica are the Japanese brands. AKG is from Austria. I can't tell you were they are made besides that I know that my AKG K81 DJ is "designed in Austria, made in China". Beyers are known to be built like a tank, you shouldn't have any build quality issues with them.

Feb 15, 2011 at 9:33 PM Post #5 of 21
I support products where manufacturing is done in the country where the company is founded...ie many flagship products are manufactured with this mindset.  Did I say it was bad if made anywhere else? ...  You should always buy products where workers are paid the most minimal of wages and work under the worst conditions, right ssavage?

Feb 15, 2011 at 9:44 PM Post #7 of 21

Quote:
I support products where manufacturing is done in the country where the company is founded...ie many flagship products are manufactured with this mindset.  Did I say it was bad if made anywhere else? ...  You should always buy products where workers are paid the most minimal of wages and work under the worst conditions, right ssavage?

I see. However, just because people get paid next to nothing and have horrible working conditions doesn't mean people will buy them less. It's good you're trying to make a difference but you're part of a small minority

Feb 15, 2011 at 10:13 PM Post #8 of 21
GermanMAESTRO are made in Germany.  Basically, the MB Quart's engineers bought the headphone portion of the company when they stopped making headphones and moved production of everything else to China.

http://www.german-maestro.de/EN/company.htm

Feb 15, 2011 at 10:42 PM Post #10 of 21
I'm not even going to bother responding to this with an appropriate answer because the whole idea of this is ridiculous and outlandish. Nothing in your logic makes any sense to be honest.
It is an interesting concept. "These new headphones sound like crap, but they bought someone in Stuttgart an extra pint of beer."

Feb 15, 2011 at 11:00 PM Post #11 of 21

Quote:
I'm not even going to bother responding to this with an appropriate answer because the whole idea of this is ridiculous and outlandish. Nothing in your logic makes any sense to be honest.

it's like trying to buy stuff made in USA instead of some other foreign country, not too kooky IMO
anywho, many beyerdynamic phones are made in germany (DT770, 880, 990, t50p) those are worth looking into

Feb 15, 2011 at 11:03 PM Post #12 of 21

Quote:
it's like trying to buy stuff made in USA instead of some other foreign country, not too kooky IMO
anywho, many beyerdynamic phones are made in germany (DT770, 880, 990, t50p) those are worth looking into

Which is also ridiculous for many reasons.

Feb 15, 2011 at 11:57 PM Post #13 of 21
Thanks for directing me to beyerdynamics, I ordered the T50P. I will be purchasing HD800 once I find an appropriate amp of my liking. Lastly, for the derelict minds who complained about the criteria that I am placing upon headphones that I am buying... good luck with your lives, you will need it.  It is very impressive that you where not able to answer a direct question, a sure sign of a (fill in the blank).

Feb 16, 2011 at 12:08 AM Post #14 of 21
i haven't heard the T50p's personally, but from many accounts, they do much better amped versus unamped, and the sound changes drastically depending on how they are worn. so for these phones, I think your mileage may vary might come heavily into play

good luck!

Feb 16, 2011 at 12:14 AM Post #15 of 21
Hello.

I'm from Germany and can't understand why you're only searching for headphones "Made in Germany".

The sound is all what counts for me.

My only headphones "Made in Germany" at the moment are the HD800. They are astonishing, but look at their price...

I had DT880 and DT990 before. They were "Made in Germany", too, but I didn't like them. I prefer HD600/650.

You'll rarely find good sounding headphones "Made in Germany" beneath 500 USD.

DT880/600 -for example- is no match for HD800. HD800 blows them away in every aspect.

I even own the little Alessandro headphones, "Made in USA", their build quality is crap, but they sound good for hard rock music.

Okay, HD800 sounds even better there... :)

I wouldn't ask for where the headphones are made, but how they sound. That's the most important thing to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back