Gas Prices: How high is it for you?
May 12, 2006 at 7:27 PM Post #61 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by YamiTenshi
While I agree generally with what you say there are also other factors. As I've mentioned before this generation of Americans are trapped in a society not of our creating. I would love to use less gas and walk more places that simply is not a choice for me.

And unfortunately there is a gap in the economic classes in the US. The rich can afford the higher gas prices and still drive their SUVs that get 15 mpg. It's not going to hurt them in the long run and they will continually drive up the prices for the rest of us. I consider myself to be *ahem* poor. I am a student and I'm driving an old car that get's "decent" gas mileage. I wish I could afford a new better gas mileage car but I just can't.

In a sense many of us are just trapped in the system.

i totally agree with you. it's unfortunate that our society has developed into what it is today with public transportation being so inconvenient. i love how in new york, taipei or tokyo i can take the subway and walk everywhere. my point is that even if you could afford the higher gas prices, you should still be more conscious of the environment and aware of the fact that driving yourself around in such a huge car isn't efficient. if you were using it for work and actually hauling stuff around then i can understand.

May 12, 2006 at 8:31 PM Post #62 of 120
I must say, gas prices keep me from driving! here in CT they're $3.05 for regular, thats not too bad but the only car I have available to drive is a GM YUKON, i get 14-16 (ideally, in practice I get more like 12-14)

plus I have insurance on top of that! I've given up on driving though, I simply cant afford to, instead I ride my bike to work, I live in the boondocks so its a tad far but whatever I guess.

May 12, 2006 at 8:40 PM Post #63 of 120
$2.79/gal for me.

This has really changed my thoughts on my next car. I currently drive a car that gets 25-28 MPG, but with my son growing, it is too small - a two-door coupe. I need to get something bigger to haul around all his sports gear and bring stuff home for the house (like potting soil and plants for my wife and other stuff that won't fit in my rice rocket). I also want to get back to the outdoors, which is something I haven't been able to do on my own since I moved away from where I grew up and I no longer have access to 4x4 vehicles from my family members.

I was thinking about a Jeep Grand Cherokee - an appropriately sized SUV for my needs and for my family size (just 3 + my mom) - but 14-17 MPG and the thought of doubling my gas consumption makes me want to barf. So, I thought that maybe I'd move down the food chain a bit (from a $35K Grand Cherokee) to a more moderately priced Nissan Xterra. Unfortunately, the Xterra's mileage isn't much better (although good enough for me) and it really isn't an appropriate vehicle for a guy pushing 40 - HEY! I gotta have some leather seats!.
icon10.gif

So, now I have to look as stuff like the Subaru Outback, which I don't mind at all. Unfortunately, it is kind of small, and that will make going camping a real minimalist experience - OK for me, but my wife is kind of an outdoors wuss. However, it does meet my other requirements - 4WD, fairly luxurious, decent gas mileage, good "get-up-and-go." I guess I'll save on gas, save on the car payment, maintain the luxury features of a Grand Cherokee, but give up on room. Life is always a trade-off if you aren't smart enough, lucky enough, or hard-working enough to bring in a ton of money!

I wish others would consider gas consumption, too. I really get irked by people that buy Hummers and other large SUVs and such when they don't need 4WD or all the space. If they want to make a statement, buy something like a Bimmer, Audi, Mercedes, Cadillac, or something. Those are cool cars, they make a statement, and their mileage is a lot better than an H2 or huge Tahoe or Yukon or Expedition. However, I want to be on record as saying I don't want anyone (i.e. government) telling us what we can and can't buy. I only wish some people would take a little larger view of things when they buy stuff like cars.

May 12, 2006 at 8:43 PM Post #64 of 120
I just have to say this again because I can't agree more with Jay.

If you drive something like a Hummer that gets you 10 MPG, you are better off just run the tank dry then call AAA to get your car towed, because chances are the tow trunk got better mileage than yours.

May 12, 2006 at 9:19 PM Post #65 of 120
Diet Snapple 16 oz $1.29 ....... $10.32 per gallon
Lipton Ice Tea 16 oz $1.19 .$9.52 per gallon
Gatorade 20 oz $1.59 . $10.17 per gallon
Ocean Spray 16 oz $1.25 . $10.00 per gallon
Brake Fluid 12 oz $3.15 . $33.60 per gallon
Vick's Nyquil 6 oz $8.35 .... $178.13 per gallon
Pepto Bismol 4 oz $3.85 ... $123.20 per gallon
Whiteout 7 oz $1.39 ........ . $25.42 per gallon
Scope 1.5 oz $0.99 ......$84.48 per gallon
Evian water 9 oz $1.49..........$21.19 per gallon

Unlead Gas: $2.80 per gallon

May 12, 2006 at 9:33 PM Post #67 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by terrymx

Good thing we don't have to fill our tanks with Nyquil!
very_evil_smiley.gif

You do make a good point though, in that we live in a bizarro world where things that have little or no intrinsic value, like soda pop, are more highly valued than something with very real intrinsic value (oil). Those days may be coming to an end.

May 12, 2006 at 11:40 PM Post #68 of 120
Quote:

Only needing to buy one of those things on a regular basis and in significant quantities to get by in life: Priceless.

May 13, 2006 at 12:33 AM Post #70 of 120
cheapest i pay for right now is 3.45 for premium. Im looking to buy a new car soon. I wanted a truck but unfortunately gas is too high so im getting another 4cyl coupe.

For those of you not american or dont rely on cars heavily, Having a car is like a necessity like air or water. When you need gas to get work/survive, suddenly its like What? your trying to kill me or something. yeah i know we take it for granted but i think having cheap gas helps perpepuate the american dream and the lifestyle for the average american.

1.we like peace and quiet AND excitement. I think having a car and living in the suburbs in a nice neighborhood is the a really nice luxury, borderline necessity. Come play in the city and rest in your comfy home away from the rest of the world.

2. Personal space. I think this is the most important to me. You can design a fabulous city with all your needs at your fingertips, however I dont want to live in a cube in some highrise with neighbors on all 6 sides of me. The american dream is still owning land/home with a white picket fence, 2.3 kids etc etc.

3. facination with cars. I dont care if you never had a car. You can still apreciate a ferrari,Rolls, or harley. Its almost synomous with freedom.

all of this ties in personally. I used to take the bus to school and work and man i hated every minute of it. Having to tailor a schedule to public transportaion vs my own. Having to listen to other people when i didnt want to. Having to stand when your dead tired. Being cramped when all you want to do is be alone. I swear if there is something called road rage while not driving id prolly get if i had to take the bus the rest of my life. Looking at watch when your late and having the bus stay in 2nd gear the whole time and stop at every freaking stop because there was a person there. Or having one late and waiting in the rain...

I agree we to develop cheap alternatives because if gas were to be at 'real' cost and the average american couldnt enjoy what they already been used to, the earth will tremble at the rage of people betrayed by its country.

May 13, 2006 at 2:17 AM Post #71 of 120
Quote:

well people usualy don't buy that in such amounts, and also each gallon or gas goes by pretty quickly...

May 13, 2006 at 2:48 AM Post #74 of 120
Its not as high as Europe but its on its way. I only drive ~200 miles a month to and from the train station so my 98 Rodeo @ ~16MPG @ $2.89 now in Chicago SW suburbs costs me about $38/month
smily_headphones1.gif
no big deal although the Metra train prices went up and I'm sure will continue going up. I pay $105 for a monthly unlimited pass. Great way to relax during the work commute. Thankfully Chicago area has great train service with many lines spreading out from the downtown center going quite far in to the suburbs. Some lines have better service then others but its a huge plus.

I just heard my uncle upgraded is Peugeot in Poland to use LPG (Liquefied petroleum gas). Must to be nice to live in a country with car fuel options
frown.gif
Maybe US of A will catch up some day to the rest of the civilized world. Look at Brazil and its Ethanol use in flexible-fuel vehicles. Now thats something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back