Gas Prices: How high is it for you?
May 13, 2006 at 3:36 AM Post #76 of 120
$1.21/per litre for regular. Thats in Vancouver
frown.gif

May 13, 2006 at 4:20 AM Post #77 of 120
Tucson, Arizona. ~ $2.95/gal - $3.05/gal depending on the gas station.

I never drove back in 1999 when I hear gas was only $1/gallon. That would have been awsome
smily_headphones1.gif

May 13, 2006 at 4:35 AM Post #79 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by MuZI
Tucson, Arizona. ~ $2.95/gal - $3.05/gal depending on the gas station.

I never drove back in 1999 when I hear gas was only $1/gallon. That would have been awsome
smily_headphones1.gif

I remember paying $0.89/gallon in 1999 in Rochester, NY.

-Ed

May 13, 2006 at 5:52 AM Post #80 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood

-Ed

Ahhh, those were the days, eh Ed? I remember thinking it was ludicrous that gas stations in Aspen were 1.25! That was in 98 or 99, not sure which. I wonder what they pay in Aspen now...
icon10.gif

May 13, 2006 at 3:11 PM Post #81 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood

-Ed

It was 80 cents a gallon in Indiana at that same time, I'm not sure I ever saw it any lower than that but a lot of places were at 80 even. Never would have guessed I'd be paying 4x as much just a few years later.

May 13, 2006 at 8:58 PM Post #82 of 120
We just filled up my wifes RX330 in Palos Park (SW Chicago suburbs) @ $2.90/gallon = $48.28
frown.gif
She will have to cut down on the store trips a bit. Welcome to suburbia, ~3-4 miles to the closest grocery store and no sidewalks.

May 13, 2006 at 10:32 PM Post #84 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elec
It was 80 cents a gallon in Indiana at that same time, I'm not sure I ever saw it any lower than that but a lot of places were at 80 even. Never would have guessed I'd be paying 4x as much just a few years later.

anyone have a reason why gas prices have quadrupled since then?

May 13, 2006 at 11:10 PM Post #85 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oistrakh
anyone have a reason why gas prices have quadrupled since then?

It's because the price of oil has risen more than 5x since its lows in 1998-99.

Many factors are behind the rise (speculation, world instability, fears of supply interruptions, etc.), but fundamentally what has happened is supply growth has not kept pace with demand growth. It's getting harder and harder to find new wells. In 1998-99, the world had more than 20 million barrels a day in excess production. Now production and demand are literally neck and neck, and everyone's continuously on the knife edge, worried whether small world events may cause supply to drop and demand to outstrip supply. (Even a single pipeline blowing up in Nigeria is big news.) China, India, and a naturally growing world economy have been driving demand. On the supply side, several major oil fields have peaked or are on the verge of peaking, Iraq's production is still below 2003 levels, Venezuela's production is falling for political reasons, Nigeria's production is in danger due to politics, etc. Last summer, the refinery situation was tight in North America, but that has eased lately. Also, if you haven't heard of Peak Oil theory (aka. Hubbert Peak), it's worth reading about; even if you don't believe in the conclusions, many of its premises are based on fact and help to explain the growing gap between production and demand. Finally, the US dollar has been falling since 2003 against a basket of world currencies, pushing up the nominal commodity pricetag of crude.

I don't think gas prices are going down substantially any time soon. The supply/demand situation is just too tight.

May 13, 2006 at 11:45 PM Post #86 of 120
And frankly, if continuing tight supply/demand is going to be the norm in the future, this is the less painful way to go. Bad Things(TM) would happen if we all woke up tomorrow and a gallon of gas was 15 bucks forevermore. Because we're feeling a little pain but not truly suffering now, that might provide motivation to start making changes in how much we care about efficiency, energy sources, alternative fuels, etc. before it's really too late.

The scary part is that there's still so much money in oil, it may be hard to get those who actually have the ability to make big changes to care. On the other hand, all the oil companies are really energy companies and should be more interested in other forms of energy if they hope to stay in business over the long haul.

May 14, 2006 at 5:13 AM Post #87 of 120
Quote:

The scary part is that there's still so much money in oil, it may be hard to get those who actually have the ability to make big changes to care. On the other hand, all the oil companies are really energy companies and should be more interested in other forms of energy if they hope to stay in business over the long haul.

To be slightly pessimistic, the problem with your second point is that there is no long haul.

May 14, 2006 at 5:29 AM Post #88 of 120
Quote:

On the other hand, all the oil companies are really energy companies and should be more interested in other forms of energy if they hope to stay in business over the long haul.

Actually, the oil companies are really money companies, and as such they are guided by quarterly profit reports and the demands of investors who can pull out at a moment's notice with the profits they've made driving the whole thing, and perhaps civilization with it, into the ground. A CEO who was genuinely rational, from the perspective of the "company itself," would get fired in a month.

May 14, 2006 at 12:15 PM Post #90 of 120
Funny that the masses are just forgetting about the record profits the oil companies are posting, when they've lied about it in the past, and their current spin on their price gouging is not even an effort.

But why aren't more people angry with the lame excuses the oil companies are spouting out of their @sses about what is obvious price gouging?

Well, the answer is something I can't post about since it will delve into Outside material.

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back