Gas Prices: How high is it for you?
May 12, 2006 at 10:09 AM Post #47 of 120
Try 1,35€/litre in my home town which equals about 6.56858$/gallon!

In Finland that is...

May 12, 2006 at 12:32 PM Post #48 of 120
I just filled up this morning and it was 105.5 a litre (Ontario). The thing that bugs me isn't so much the price, it's the fact that it always goes up on say Friday, and back down on Tuesday. Next weekend is a long weekend, and you can bet the price will jump up. The prices are supposed to be based on the world price of oil no? Well I doubt the world price goes up on a Canadian long weekend. Smells of gouging to me
mad.gif

May 12, 2006 at 1:44 PM Post #49 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeless
I just filled up this morning and it was 105.5 a litre (Ontario). The thing that bugs me isn't so much the price, it's the fact that it always goes up on say Friday, and back down on Tuesday. Next weekend is a long weekend, and you can bet the price will jump up. The prices are supposed to be based on the world price of oil no? Well I doubt the world price goes up on a Canadian long weekend. Smells of gouging to me
mad.gif

$3.39 today.

If you know when the price of gas goes up and down why don't you just adjust when you refill? There is one simple explanation for the price jumping up before a long weekend. Increased demand. A whole host of factors other than just the price of a barrel of oil goes into determing the cost. For example, in California where he have extremely stringent environmental laws, oil refineries are forced to change the fuel content depending on the season. This ups the price of gas. One of the other factors is obviously a profit motive but what else would you expect?

What is gouging anyways? Exhorbinant profits? Windfall profits? All these terms imply some sort of value judgment but I hear them all the time from politicians and lay people alike whenever prices go up as if they know what the actual price should be. If taking advantage of an environment where your product is relatively scarce by trying to make as much money as possible is gouging then a lot of companies are guilty of this. Our reliance on gas is unfortunate and alternative fuels need to be found but to accuse the oil companies of gouging is wrong, dangerous, and counterproductive.

May 12, 2006 at 1:53 PM Post #50 of 120
1.45.... euro's..... per liter

which comes down to $7,05 a gallon

And just about everyone can drive a car here, even the poor.

The US gasprice should be higher, Americans should drive more fuel efficient cars and the US should invest more in alternative forms of energy. That's just my opinion, you guys have every right to drive any vehicle you choose.

And the public transportation ain't that great over here, Europe doesn't just consist of city's, there's a lot of country side too.

May 12, 2006 at 4:21 PM Post #52 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oistrakh
$1.50 a gallon

Nice. What decade are you living in again?
tongue.gif

May 12, 2006 at 4:33 PM Post #53 of 120
gas2.jpg

gas1.jpg

May 12, 2006 at 5:18 PM Post #54 of 120
Gas prices in the US should have been high decades ago. It would have helped this country in the long run. We would have changed the way we built our cities, making them more walker/biker friendly and improving the public transportable system. I have no problem walking to the grocery store... if only it weren't five miles away. Nor do I have a problem biking around town... if there actually was a bike lane next to the traffic going 50 mph. I also would not mind taking the bus.... if it didn't take the bus an hour to get to a place I could drive to in 20 minutes. Some new neighborhood now don't even have sidewalks.
confused.gif

We would have also invested more into alternative energy sources earlier and not have to actually wait until we couldn't afford gas anymore. Unfortunately our society has evolved into something that nearly every single adult needs to have a car to survive. I'm not proud that I'm dependant on my car. But I have little choice right now.
frown.gif

May 12, 2006 at 5:54 PM Post #56 of 120
The way Americans businesses operate is that many companies build their sites in the middle of nowhere for cheap cost, so public transportation is out of the question. If you live and work in New York City, you absolutely do not need a car, but majority of Americans don't live in cities. In Europe, societies adjust over decades to higher fuel prices, also diesel cars made up of 40%, compare to 4% in US.

May 12, 2006 at 6:36 PM Post #58 of 120
even though the current gas prices seem high, it's still only a little bit more than half of what the europeans and asians are paying. do we have a right to complain when much of the world is paying more than we are? i'm not proud to say it but we americans have it too easy and our reliance on oil is one of our weaknesses. i commute 35 miles to work in my little honda and get about 28mpg. not bad but not great etiher. it's a little disappointing when i see other people complaining about gas prices when they aren't willing to give up their gas guzzling suvs. maybe it won't be as painful if they also drove fuel efficient cars. ok, getting off my soapbox now. puts on flame suit.

May 12, 2006 at 7:07 PM Post #60 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by fureshi
even though the current gas prices seem high, it's still only a little bit more than half of what the europeans and asians are paying. do we have a right to complain when much of the world is paying more than we are? i'm not proud to say it but we americans have it too easy and our reliance on oil is one of our weaknesses. i commute 35 miles to work in my little honda and get about 28mpg. not bad but not great etiher. it's a little disappointing when i see other people complaining about gas prices when they aren't willing to give up their gas guzzling suvs. maybe it won't be as painful if they also drove fuel efficient cars. ok, getting off my soapbox now. puts on flame suit.

While I agree generally with what you say there are also other factors. As I've mentioned before this generation of Americans are trapped in a society not of our creating. I would love to use less gas and walk more places that simply is not a choice for me.

And unfortunately there is a gap in the economic classes in the US. The rich can afford the higher gas prices and still drive their SUVs that get 15 mpg. It's not going to hurt them in the long run and they will continually drive up the prices for the rest of us. I consider myself to be *ahem* poor. I am a student and I'm driving an old car that get's "decent" gas mileage. I wish I could afford a new better gas mileage car but I just can't.

In a sense many of us are just trapped in the system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back