Gas Prices: How high is it for you?
May 12, 2006 at 2:32 AM Post #31 of 120
$3.03 for regular, $3.19 for premium at my local BP. Haven't really seen it for less elsewhere but I expect it to fall below $3 soon based on all the others here reporting mid to high $2.xx prices.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlanY
Instead of just talking about gas price numbers, why don't we widen the thread topic? Does anyone find current gas prices affecting them? In what way? Have you adjusted your lifestyle any, considered purchasing a different vehicle next time, or done something else?

I actually bought a car about a month ago that gets somewhat worse gas mileage than what I was driving (last car was averaging around 25mpg, new one is ~21.5 so far). Oh yeah, and it ideally drinks premium. I have a short commute and only drive about 150 miles a week, so I spend maybe $100 a month on gas, probably a little less even at current prices for premium.

I could have bought a TDI or Prius or something and gotten twice the mileage, but it wasn't worth it to me to have a boringmobile to save $50 a month. Hell, my Comcast bill is $78 a month and will probably top $100 when my 1 year deal is up. The difference thus far is annoying, I never like having less money in my pocket, but it hasn't caused me to rethink my transportation.

Now if I was driving say, 500 miles a week and my gas bill was approaching a car payment, I'd be more tempted to buy an uber-mileage car or cut back in other areas. As it is, I could bike to work if I really wanted to (or if gas hit $10). I suspect that gas-bill-as-car-payment issue is or will be a big problem for a lot of people who managed to get a car but just can't afford to spend three or four hundred bucks a month to drive it (which is why they didn't go buy a new car in the first place).

May 12, 2006 at 2:33 AM Post #32 of 120
Canadians pay more than Americans and we don't import ANY fuel. Say what? We pay more and we are the producers and refiners? Heh...yeah for 55% tax or whatever on gas
smily_headphones1.gif

May 12, 2006 at 2:48 AM Post #33 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elec
I could have bought a TDI or Prius or something and gotten twice the mileage, but it wasn't worth it to me to have a boringmobile to save $50 a month. Hell, my Comcast bill is $78 a month and will probably top $100 when my 1 year deal is up. The difference thus far is annoying, I never like having less money in my pocket, but it hasn't caused me to rethink my transportation.

Now if I was driving say, 500 miles a week and my gas bill was approaching a car payment, I'd be more tempted to buy an uber-mileage car or cut back in other areas. As it is, I could bike to work if I really wanted to (or if gas hit $10). I suspect that gas-bill-as-car-payment issue is or will be a big problem for a lot of people who managed to get a car but just can't afford to spend three or four hundred bucks a month to drive it (which is why they didn't go buy a new car in the first place).

I'm in basically the same boat. My current vehicle gets around 24mpg and my commute isn't that long. I doubt I'll spend more than $1600 on gas this year, which is not a problem for me personally. I have cut down a bit on silly, get one thing trips to the store, but other than that, no major lifestyle changes. However, the prices are something I'll probably consider next time I get a new vehicle.

One of the more interesting stories I've read was on another forum I follow, where there's a guy who was shopping for a Hummer H3, but in the end he did a total switch and decided to get a Mazda Miata instead. Crazy... going from one of the largest vehicles on the road to one of the smallest, but it goes to show how what we drive is about feelings more than thought, a lot of times:
http://www.cartalkcanada.com/forum/i...c,45704.0.html

May 12, 2006 at 3:25 AM Post #34 of 120
Despite being a poor college student, I still purchased a car that requires premium. To me, its worth it. I'm not driving any less than I would normally either.

May 12, 2006 at 3:27 AM Post #35 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth
Canadians pay more than Americans and we don't import ANY fuel. Say what? We pay more and we are the producers and refiners? Heh...yeah for 55% tax or whatever on gas
smily_headphones1.gif

yea, its absurd. Hovers around $1/liter, and will shoot up come june/july. Honestly it's just given me that much more motivation to use my marin. Cant complain there!

May 12, 2006 at 3:29 AM Post #36 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedLeader
yea, its absurd. Hovers around $1/liter, and will shoot up come june/july. Honestly it's just given me that much more motivation to use my marin. Cant complain there!

Dude...Mother's Day this weekend, Victoria Day next weekend, the prices are going to sky rocket tomorrow
frown.gif

May 12, 2006 at 3:29 AM Post #37 of 120
$3.73 for Shell Premium here in Hilo, Hawaii. Regular's around $3.50ish. My car gets about 15 MPG, and my driving routine requires me to fill up every single week. Cripes and I thought that was bad, $4.85 for gas on Lanai is killer. I'd trade in my car in a heartbeat if gas ever got that bad in Hilo.

But at the moment, I'm having way too much fun spinning up my rotary to worry about gas prices too much.
biggrin.gif

May 12, 2006 at 6:09 AM Post #39 of 120
We desperately need much higher gas prices, and have for many years. Cheap oil, and the entire system that's been set up to hide the true costs of running a civilization on a non-renewable, climate-screwing energy source, have been a global disaster whose scope is only beginning to dawn on people. Ideally these costs would be reflected in the "price at the pump" (and the grocery store, and so on), but that will never happen for political reasons. Most important is simply that the prices go and stay up, before we invest even more resources in a doomed and self-defeating energy infrastructure.

And it drives me crazy how everyone calls the gas prices "high." As though there were some natural order of the universe that says that gas should be cheaper than bottled water. There's nothing intrinsically "high" about the prices. They're higher than they've been, and lower than they will be. And lower than they should be. But that's all you can say.

May 12, 2006 at 6:21 AM Post #40 of 120
Hey, anyone notice how gas prices are so high these days?

May 12, 2006 at 7:15 AM Post #41 of 120
Here in Eastern Oregon it's $2.99 to $3.05 for regular.
I am surprised that it hasn't gone up in the last few days. They have been jacking the price everyday for the last month or so.

I can't wait until it gets even higher. Once the price reaches that point where no one but the rich can afford to drive, the roads will be a lot less busy. Of course the state will have problems because with no one buying gas, they won't get any money from the gas tax. Then there is the problem with the economy drooping from people not being able to get anywhere, and not being able to afford any thing but the bare necessities. But hey, we can stop burning those fossil fuels at such a high rate.
rolleyes.gif

I work for a major transportation company. When the price of fuel goes up they tack on a surcharge to the customer. Which drives up the price you and I pay for goods.
Look at the bright side. Ethenol is now becoming a profitable venture.
I wonder if my old 440 cubic inch powered Dodge will still make 450 HP on corn squeezin's.
tongue.gif

The price of gas has hurt us. We had planned a trip into Montana this week. We only went to Spokane for a two day trip instead of a week long trip. It was just too expensive to stay on the road for a week. My Ford F150 gets between 16 and 20 mpg. I drove slow and easy whenever possible to get the best mileage.

May 12, 2006 at 7:22 AM Post #42 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.PD
Here in Eastern Oregon it's $2.99 to $3.05 for regular.

Luxury ...... try coming to the UK. They'll be charging you if you sniff the fumes soon here.

Ian

May 12, 2006 at 8:12 AM Post #43 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.PD
I can't wait until it gets even higher. Once the price reaches that point where no one but the rich can afford to drive, the roads will be a lot less busy. Of course the state will have problems because with no one buying gas, they won't get any money from the gas tax. Then there is the problem with the economy drooping from people not being able to get anywhere, and not being able to afford any thing but the bare necessities. But hey, we can stop burning those fossil fuels at such a high rate.
rolleyes.gif

I work for a major transportation company. When the price of fuel goes up they tack on a surcharge to the customer. Which drives up the price you and I pay for goods.
Look at the bright side. Ethenol is now becoming a profitable venture.
I wonder if my old 440 cubic inch powered Dodge will still make 450 HP on corn squeezin's.
tongue.gif

The price of gas has hurt us. We had planned a trip into Montana this week.

I'm not sure if this is addressed to me. Of course I'm not saying that higher gas prices would be pleasant or, given the general nature the current system, fair. Indeed a lot of people are going to get hurt. Really hurt, not just canceled road trips. But a system that collapses unless its gas is cheaper than its water is the very definition of unsustainable. It's not a question of whether the system changes, but how it does, and on whose terms, although we've squandered many of the opportunities that existed for it to be on ours (i.e. humanity's, rather than nature's).

May 12, 2006 at 8:42 AM Post #44 of 120
As much as people like to complain about gas prices, if (or when) prices double, life will likely go on. We are an extraordinarily wealthy nation and people will be able to afford it, though likely with significant inflation, recessionary pressures, and adjustments in discretionary spending, purchases of luxury items, vehicle choice, and housing prices. As a nation, we only consume 20 million barrels of oil a day -- that includes everything, transportation, farming, plastics, etc. -- which works out to $1680/year/person at $70/barrel. That's still a small percentage of the average annual personal income. There is a lot of margin to accomodate higher gas prices.

The real worry is for the impact of higher gas prices on less wealthy nations, who have much less margin and will be very hard hit. One wonders how Africa will cope, and how we might deal with a worldwide recession.

May 12, 2006 at 9:28 AM Post #45 of 120
over here its about 90 cents a litre...

Rise in petrol prices is an inflationary pressure, its likely interest rates will go up if petrol keeps rising...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back