FX700 or DBA-02?
Aug 25, 2010 at 3:29 PM Post #16 of 25

Quote:

Arrgghhh...  All this FX700 talk is making me think of getting them instead of the DBA-02.  I listen to some not-so-well-recorded music, and I think I'd rather have bass slam than potentially annoying bright highs.  As long as the bassy FX700's don't sound veiled...

Any reason besides price why I should still consider the DBA-2?

Right now my full-size cans are the HE-5LE.  How do the DBA-02 and FX700 sound signatures compare to the HE-5LE?

Thanks

That says it all to me. Now while I do like the DBA-02 and very much enjoyed them why even bother? Go and get the FX700. They are both very different sound signatures from my reading on the FX700 and well the JVC Victor sound in general. The FX700 sounds more like a basshead phone. The DBA-02 is not that. It's much closer to an Etymotic sound. I believe the driver used is a TWFK which are very good drivers for the upper frequencies. Although if you have lots of poorly recorded music I'm not sure how the FX700 would do but the DBA-02 isn't that forgiving of that.

It doesn't matter how good a phone is. If it doesn't suit your preference there really isn't any point other than wasting your time, money and possibly frustrating you as well.

It may sound like I'm bashing the DBA-02 but I'm not. I really do like them and wouldn't recommend it because of the bolded text in the quotes. DBA-02 lies in the upper mids and treble.

Aug 25, 2010 at 3:54 PM Post #18 of 25

Of course I have heard the DBA-02, or I wouldn't have commented on it (unlike many here do without hearing IEMs that they comment on).
Quote:
assuming youve heard the dba-02?

Aug 25, 2010 at 4:05 PM Post #19 of 25
I can vouch for Eric having heard the DBA-02 so he definitely has heard them. He also wouldn't comment on earphones without having heard them..unless that earphone is called the MD :)

Aug 26, 2010 at 12:33 AM Post #20 of 25
Alas, things have become oh so complicated.  I quickly looked at PriceJapan earlier this week and saw the FX700 for 22,600 Yen ($267).  What I didn't expect was that the total would go up to $354 once you factor in the shipping and PriceJapan's cut 
confused_face.gif

Seyo-shop has them for $332 shipped, but it's still way more than what I had prepared myself for.

Now, if anyone wants to sell me theirs...  
bigsmile_face.gif

Aug 26, 2010 at 1:19 AM Post #21 of 25
I might lean you towards a couple other options.

Klipsch Custom 3 - excellent balance, thicker note (uncommon for a BA earphone) that does tend to hide the minor flaws, cheap as dirt on eBay.  It's $99.  I'd tell you to own a pair just to own a pair.  They're quite good.

HiiFi-Man RE252 - most balanced earphone I've used, outstanding sound quality, basically my favorite IEM that I've used to date, revealing so it will scale to your better recordings, does scale down to the worse recordings too but is not harsh/annoying at least not beyond what's already in the recording, very good pricing, especially in the used market.  The new RE262's coming out very, very soon, so you might wait for that.

MTPG - great frequency response balanced, flat and extended, hearty, textured notes, smooth mids and highs, laid back top end, very forgiving with worse recordings, good control on low frequency notes, well restrained on the bottom end (not bloated/overpowering).  My only gripe is that it's a little sluggish with complex information and tends to blur complex tracks together a little, but it sounds great with simpler music.

Aug 26, 2010 at 2:53 AM Post #23 of 25
I'm getting tempted to just get the DBA-02 and EQ them in case the bass is too anemic...

Is it as bass-shy as the Etymotic ER-4?

Has anyone listened to the DBA-02 and the Sony CD-3000?  I remember that I loved my CD-3000 for their incredible detail, sparkly highs, insane soundstage and comfort.  However, the bass was seriously lacking.

Or perhaps a comparison between the DBA-02 bass and that of better known headphones such as the HD-650 or RS-1?

Thanks

Aug 26, 2010 at 10:56 AM Post #24 of 25
Not really. Though not bass strong by any means, DBA-02 still at least has twice as much bass in quantity compared ER4P. But if you want bass, JVC seems like a better choice.

Quote:
Is it as bass-shy as the Etymotic ER-4?

Nov 1, 2010 at 11:57 PM Post #25 of 25
+ 1

PS I like bass of FX700 <no mid bass hump compared to IE8> 

Quote:

That says it all to me. Now while I do like the DBA-02 and very much enjoyed them why even bother? Go and get the FX700. They are both very different sound signatures from my reading on the FX700 and well the JVC Victor sound in general. The FX700 sounds more like a basshead phone. The DBA-02 is not that. It's much closer to an Etymotic sound. I believe the driver used is a TWFK which are very good drivers for the upper frequencies. Although if you have lots of poorly recorded music I'm not sure how the FX700 would do but the DBA-02 isn't that forgiving of that.

It doesn't matter how good a phone is. If it doesn't suit your preference there really isn't any point other than wasting your time, money and possibly frustrating you as well.

It may sound like I'm bashing the DBA-02 but I'm not. I really do like them and wouldn't recommend it because of the bolded text in the quotes. DBA-02 lies in the upper mids and treble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back