FX700 or DBA-02?
Aug 25, 2010 at 1:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Zoide

Headphoneus Supremus

[size=medium]
Arrgghhh...  All this FX700 talk is making me think of getting them instead of the DBA-02.  I listen to some not-so-well-recorded music, and I think I'd rather have bass slam than potentially annoying bright highs.  As long as the bassy FX700's don't sound veiled...

Any reason besides price why I should still consider the DBA-2?

Right now my full-size cans are the HE-5LE.  How do the DBA-02 and FX700 sound signatures compare to the HE-5LE?

Thanks
[/size]

Aug 25, 2010 at 1:51 PM Post #2 of 25
There's no reason. In my opinion, the DBA just can't compete with the FX700. Just my opinion.

Aug 25, 2010 at 2:02 PM Post #4 of 25

Quote:
assuming youve heard the dba-02?

He did hear them and has commented on them elsewhere.

How else would he know which one he preferred?

Aug 25, 2010 at 2:04 PM Post #5 of 25
I'm not sure either phone is the best solution for poorly recorded music.  The HE5LE is a warmer ortho right?  Considered the DDM's at all or are you looking for uber clarity?

Aug 25, 2010 at 2:10 PM Post #7 of 25

Quote:
youd be surprised how many ppl comment on phones without hearing them :D

Well, I think thats fine as long as you preface or make it clear like FWIR, etc.  Doesn't hurt to save someone 100 pages of reading.  YMMV.

Aug 25, 2010 at 2:20 PM Post #8 of 25

Quote:
I'm not sure either phone is the best solution for poorly recorded music.  The HE5LE is a warmer ortho right?  Considered the DDM's at all or are you looking for uber clarity?

Not all my music is poorly recorded, but I do think a "fun" headphone will serve me better than a "bright" one.

With regards to the HE-5LE, their highs are tamer than the HE-5's, which I found a bit too bright for my tastes.  The HE-5 do have better "detail" as a result.

I considered the DDM's, but they are just plain ugly for my tastes.  I plan to use them at work and I'd like to attract as little attention as possible.  The transparent look of the DBA-02 and the wood of the FX700 are already borderline for me 
tongue_smile.gif

What makes this so complicated, aside from the price difference, is the conflicting impressions.  People seem to call both the DBA-02 and the FX700 "balanced across the spectrum", yet somehow one is bassier and the other is brighter? 
confused_face.gif
  Unfortunately not many people have heard both, so it's hard to know what's really going on.  Comparisons with full-size headphones from people who have heard either one of them might be very helpful.

Aug 25, 2010 at 2:30 PM Post #9 of 25

Quote:
Comparisons with full-size headphones from people who have heard either one of them might be very helpful.

There are comparisons with full-size headphones, not many, but they're around. Did you search the FX700 thread? I remember dfkt talking about the FX700 in comparison with full-size headphones, but I'm not sure if he mentioned specific headphones, or whether he was generalising. Try searching for 'headphones' in the FX700 thread. That might help you a bit more.

By the way, I don't know that I'd call the FX700's balanced. The bass is pretty full on, but I use EQ to tone it down a little, and it's fine. The treble is sparkly and detailed, but not harsh (for me), although a couple of members did find it a little too unruly
smile_phones.gif

I find them very clear without being cold at all, and very full, without being overly warm. Well, that sounds a bit contradictory!! Hopefully, you'll know what I mean.

Aug 25, 2010 at 2:34 PM Post #10 of 25

Quote:
Not all my music is poorly recorded, but I do think a "fun" headphone will serve me better than a "bright" one.

With regards to the HE-5LE, their highs are tamer than the HE-5's, which I found a bit too bright for my tastes.  The HE-5 do have better "detail" as a result.

I considered the DDM's, but they are just plain ugly for my tastes.  I plan to use them at work and I'd like to attract as little attention as possible.  The transparent look of the DBA-02 and the wood of the FX700 are already borderline for me 
tongue_smile.gif

What makes this so complicated, aside from the price difference, is the conflicting impressions.  People seem to call both the DBA-02 and the FX700 "balanced across the spectrum", yet somehow one is bassier and the other is brighter? 
confused_face.gif
  Unfortunately not many people have heard both, so it's hard to know what's really going on.  Comparisons with full-size headphones from people who have heard either one of them might be very helpful.

I would suggest considering the FX700 more U-shaped and the DBA flatter.  In this sense they are both balanced if you catch my drift.  This is purely based on impressions by people I trust and interpret well.  I think James and DFKT probably have heard both as well.

Aug 25, 2010 at 2:37 PM Post #11 of 25
The DBAs are not bright, if by bright you mean borderline harsh or sibilant. They are balanced, and by that I mean (and so do others who own the DBAs) that not one of the three main frequency bands is dominant. Again, I direct you to reviews by Joker and LFF if you have not already read them on the DBAs. I have not heard the DBAs, but I spoke with someone who has, Average_Joe, and he told me just this morning on the phone that in his view, the FX-700s are a little too bass-heavy for his tastes and he is a major bass lover. Again, that is not my comment, but one from someone who has heard the FX-700.

I would guess they are just different, not only superior. And you are right, there are very few (in fact one person I believe) who have heard both the FX700 and the DBAs. On other comparisons - is and price for example - the DBAs are a better value (I read that dfkt says the FX700s provide very little iso and he has to turn them up louder when outside). Another aspect to consider.

In the end, there is only one way to find out, and you know what I mean. You have to buy and try both, and keep the one you like best.

As for recordings and brightness, if a piece is really poorly recorded, no phone is gonna make the track sound great. I have some harsh tracks, but the DBAs are never annoyingly bright with them.

But again, you will never really know if you don't hear both. Otherwise, just buy the FX-700s and be done with it. I am sure you will love them.

Aug 25, 2010 at 2:38 PM Post #12 of 25
Neither James or dfkt have heard the DBAs ... yet. But based on what I have read, I would agree with your assessment of the difference between the DBAs and the FX-700.

Quote:
I would suggest considering the FX700 more U-shaped and the DBA flatter.  In this sense they are both balanced if you catch my drift.  This is purely based on impressions by people I trust and interpret well.  I think James and DFKT probably have heard both as well.

Aug 25, 2010 at 2:48 PM Post #13 of 25
Have you really considered how much impact your use of the IEMs in question might affect your enjoyment of them?  I find too often people go all in for SQ in IEMs but lose perspective of their intended use or function.  When SQ is the ultimate consideration IEMs may or may not be the best choice.  My two pennies.

Aug 25, 2010 at 2:52 PM Post #14 of 25
Zoide-
If you reallly value some bass slam, then the FX700's will surely not disappoint. And they are anything but veiled, being the most crystal clear dynamic driver IEM I can think of.

I know of one owner who posted a brief comparison of both phones over in the FX700 thread, and his conclusion was that the DBA's bass was well shy of what the JVC's can do. Which makes total sense when you see the DBA's frequency graph and how roll off starts at 300hz, which is well above the entire bass range. 
blink.gif

Aug 25, 2010 at 2:53 PM Post #15 of 25
Zoide, the other point to consider is that it really doesn't matter who raves about which phones, no matter how much of a respected member they are. Fact is, if you don't care for the same sound signature as them, then all the praise in the world isn't going to matter a jot.

I'm no basshead, and with no EQ, I find the FX700's just a little too much bass wise. But like I said, I just EQ the bass down a notch, and all is well again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back