FX700 and EX1000 Owners: What Other IEMs Have You Purchased That You've Been Happy with?
Feb 22, 2012 at 2:05 AM Post #106 of 142

If you want a more neutral presentation with airy treble get the EX1000. If you want a more fun sound with amazing timbre, and more bass quantity get the FX700.
Quote:
Well, head-fi has one more member coming to the same conundrum as all others here: ex1000 vs fx700. Just sold off my W4s, because I found them to be a bit boring (to say the least). I would REALLY appreciate some help in this regard as I don't want to buy an IEM from abroad and not be able to return it (ie the fx700; since I'm in the U.S.). My other IEMs include the UM Miracle (whose signature I love, but isn't my ideal. Also, I don't carry it everywhere because of the size; and the fact that it's irreplaceable. I would prefer something more "exciting" ), and the hifiman re-272 (which is my absolutely perfect model for treble). I'm also considering the Westone 3 in this regard. I mostly listen to rock 'n roll (85%), blues, perhaps some soundtracks and a bit of drum 'n bass, if not house. Would really appreciate any help in this regard.

Feb 22, 2012 at 11:45 AM Post #107 of 142
Quote:
If you want a more neutral presentation with airy treble get the EX1000. If you want a more fun sound with amazing timbre, and more bass quantity get the FX700.

Lee pretty much concisely summed it up well.  The only other thing to note is the poor isolation of both, with the FX700 being even more horrific...

Feb 22, 2012 at 2:42 PM Post #108 of 142
UGH

there's a EX1000 on the FS forum right now... for a pretty dam good price

I may be jumping on the FX700 and EX1000 bandwagon very soon, what do I dooooooooooo

would I be making the wrong choice if I'm primarly listening to electronic music? the FX700's have not let me down yet, and I'm certainly keeping them... the sony's would just be an addition

or I could go for something cheaper, for mainly EDM genres, such as the TF10 or EPH-100...

decisions decisions...

Feb 22, 2012 at 3:22 PM Post #109 of 142
It's a tough call when it comes to electronic music. I prefer the FX700 over the EX1000 when it comes to Drum & Bass (the hard stuff from the late 90's and early 2000's)  and hard dance, but the Sony's get the vote with trance or lounge stuff.

Feb 22, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #110 of 142
definitely my current iem, cc51 by meelec.
you may not believe it, it may be a downgrade but in reality it is better than my fx700 in isolation and vocals.

having that same natural timbre and dynamics, but better vocals.

Feb 22, 2012 at 4:36 PM Post #111 of 142
Quote:
UGH

there's a EX1000 on the FS forum right now... for a pretty dam good price

I may be jumping on the FX700 and EX1000 bandwagon very soon, what do I dooooooooooo

would I be making the wrong choice if I'm primarly listening to electronic music? the FX700's have not let me down yet, and I'm certainly keeping them... the sony's would just be an addition

or I could go for something cheaper, for mainly EDM genres, such as the TF10 or EPH-100...

decisions decisions...

I love the FX700 and EX1000.  You need to join the bandwagon.  The only problem is that you may start liking the EX1000s more than the FX700s like I am.  I was such an avid lover the FX700s too and thought it was my perfect/final IEM.  I just can't part with them yet due to their timbre and low-end presence that is exceptional...

Feb 22, 2012 at 5:55 PM Post #112 of 142
It's really a package situation you're looking at. In terms of sound proficiency, you'll find a lot of people on both sides of comparison between the high-end iems.
As previously mentioned, trade-offs are something that must be considered. The ex1000 and fx700 lack isolation, so if that's something that bothers you, then they simply won't satisfy you. On the other hand, there are very few cans with the technical abilities or enjoyment factor of both. Personally, I still thought the um3x inches forward in terms of overall performance. They don't have the annoying fit sometimes attributed to their cousins, the westone 3 and the westone 4 (much less). Sound wise, you're getting something that can be used for monitoring, but is not sterile or boring at all. The drivers easily provide speed and timing that is phenomenal for an universal, all the same time sounding coherent with no imbalance between the crossover. While I loved my tf-10 for the price, and enjoyed the se530/535, I found them problematic in at least one aspect. Not all triple driver armatures are tuned similar.
There's really nothing you can complain about the um3x. In terms of conventional terms- they're compatible with a wide variety of tips, a proper seal can be achieved easily, the cable is high quality braided westone that can be replaced, and they can be worn for a long time without a hint of fatigue.

Feb 22, 2012 at 6:30 PM Post #113 of 142

Quote:

The "fun" sound was what I really want to go for this time around. The Westones that I sold were a little on the drab side for the kind of music I listen to.

Quote:
It's a tough call when it comes to electronic music. I prefer the FX700 over the EX1000 when it comes to Drum & Bass (the hard stuff from the late 90's and early 2000's)  and hard dance, but the Sony's get the vote with trance or lounge stuff.

I tend to mostly listen to D&B when I'm listening to electronic. A little of the others, so this tilts the pan in the favor of the fx700s. Also, I wanted to try out the jvcs for a while now. I think I'll spring for the fx700s.

Quote:
It's really a package situation you're looking at. In terms of sound proficiency, you'll find a lot of people on both sides of comparison between the high-end iems.
As previously mentioned, trade-offs are something that must be considered. The ex1000 and fx700 lack isolation, so if that's something that bothers you, then they simply won't satisfy you. On the other hand, there are very few cans with the technical abilities or enjoyment factor of both. Personally, I still thought the um3x inches forward in terms of overall performance. They don't have the annoying fit sometimes attributed to their cousins, the westone 3 and the westone 4 (much less). Sound wise, you're getting something that can be used for monitoring, but is not sterile or boring at all. The drivers easily provide speed and timing that is phenomenal for an universal, all the same time sounding coherent with no imbalance between the crossover. While I loved my tf-10 for the price, and enjoyed the se530/535, I found them problematic in at least one aspect. Not all triple driver armatures are tuned similar.
There's really nothing you can complain about the um3x. In terms of conventional terms- they're compatible with a wide variety of tips, a proper seal can be achieved easily, the cable is high quality braided westone that can be replaced, and they can be worn for a long time without a hint of fatigue.

Isolation isn't really a problem for me, as I'd be using them mostly at home (have a pair of sony ex310s for working out/ listening in random places). Even listening outside should probably not be a problem at the volumes that I listen to
ksc75smile.gif
. I think I'm a little "westoned out" for now. Will spring for something different
biggrin.gif

Just waiting for my westone money to come through now.....and the weeks of anticipation for the delivery (if I order the fx700s, that is...).

Feb 22, 2012 at 6:37 PM Post #114 of 142

thats what I'm afraid of! I'm still in the honeymoon period with the FX700's, although for a few days I got a bit irritated with their one or two flaws (isolation not a factor at all for me, mainly the need to slighty EQ the mids). My dilema is to either pick up a new source, or wait for the gNex to get updated with voodoo compatibility/line out... or go for the ex1000. (or all three...)

never had a problem with fit on the fx700, using the white monster supertips...

I'm leaning towards just going for it and grabbing the ex1000's, before someone else on here does...

maybe ill just flip a coin

Quote:
I love the FX700 and EX1000.  You need to join the bandwagon.  The only problem is that you may start liking the EX1000s more than the FX700s like I am.  I was such an avid lover the FX700s too and thought it was my perfect/final IEM.  I just can't part with them yet due to their timbre and low-end presence that is exceptional...

Feb 24, 2012 at 9:01 PM Post #115 of 142
Quote:
thats what I'm afraid of! I'm still in the honeymoon period with the FX700's, although for a few days I got a bit irritated with their one or two flaws (isolation not a factor at all for me, mainly the need to slighty EQ the mids). My dilema is to either pick up a new source, or wait for the gNex to get updated with voodoo compatibility/line out... or go for the ex1000. (or all three...)

never had a problem with fit on the fx700, using the white monster supertips...

I'm leaning towards just going for it and grabbing the ex1000's, before someone else on here does...

maybe ill just flip a coin

I say go for it my friend.  Based on similar preferences to myself and others, you should love the EX1000s.  Please just keep us updated with your impressions compared to the FX700s - as I'm curious to know them personally.

Feb 24, 2012 at 9:02 PM Post #116 of 142
At the moment, I think I'm just going to purchase the W4, UM3X, and SM3.  I will listen to them all for a period of time and just return the one(s) I like least.

Feb 25, 2012 at 2:07 PM Post #118 of 142

Quote:
At the moment, I think I'm just going to purchase the W4, UM3X, and SM3.  I will listen to them all for a period of time and just return the one(s) I like least.

(In Butthead's voice) Are you like rich or something
biggrin.gif
? But seriously, you should find a 'phone that you really like among the three, considering their variance in sound signature.

In personal news, I got the funds from my sale of my Westone 4s. Got a case of Guiness to celebrate. Got a little too happy off of it and got on head-fi. Next morning, I check my email to see an invoice for a pair of iems. So now, I have a pair of FS Atrio m5s coming my way, soon
ksc75smile.gif
. Lesson to self, do not get drunk and get on head-fi. Hell, even drunken facebooking is better. At least you don't hurt your wallet that way
biggrin.gif
. Now I'm wondering if I should order the fx700s or not, considering their similarity in sound.

Feb 25, 2012 at 2:43 PM Post #119 of 142
I should receive ex1000 early next week. I understand that using Comply tips will temper the highs and bring out more bass.

I'm also thinking either FX700 or UM3X.

I have TF10 and they are great for electronic/dubstep. Are the UM3X a more neutral, flat and less dynamic/energy and maybe boring version of TF10?

BassInMyFace: it's been said the W4 are the older sibling of the GR07. I've never heard them, but some state they are very neutral, as is the GR07 and maybe uninspiring or boring compared to phones such as FX700, W3, TF10.

Any and all suggestions and thoughts are appreciated.

Feb 25, 2012 at 3:06 PM Post #120 of 142
Quote:

I have TF10 and they are great for electronic/dubstep. Are the UM3X a more neutral, flat and less dynamic/energy and maybe boring version of TF10?

UM3X are nothing like TF10: way better separation, energetic mids. Neutral yes, but not boring at all, although they sound very different from FX700 for example.

Quote:

BassInMyFace: it's been said the W4 are the older sibling of the GR07. I've never heard them, but some state they are very neutral, as is the GR07 and maybe uninspiring or boring compared to phones such as FX700, W3, TF10.

Someone after "fun" or "dynamic" sound would certainly think so by reading on Head-Fi.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back