FX67 Review | A Hidden Gem
May 14, 2011 at 10:29 AM Post #16 of 152
Quote:
Okay, I had to try a pair, the hype overwhelmed me. I had the FCX80s, and liked them, but gave them away. Guess I can sell the W4s soon. Kidding of course, but always on the lookout for inexpensive great sound. So why not? And I have Sony hybrids in the house.

I actually bought the FXC80 just based on my positive experiences with the FX67. But unfortunately, I was not a fan of the overly bright sound that DID NOT respond to EQ at all. The FX67 just has a better presentation, and nothing fatigues you in the sound. Treble is no problem at all. Plus, it responds very well to EQ'ing. Try boosting the mids if you find it not engaging enough.

Another reason I absolutely love these. I see that reaction often due to their price, "Why not?"

Try the stock tips first just to see if you like them, but Hybrids simply inserted better and had increased isolation. Between them and the marshmallows, the Hybrids were more comfortable and obviously were much either to insert and take out. Foam is kind of a pain in the butt, but at least it's not comply foam! And as mentioned, I find the marshmallow tips superior to comply foam.

May 16, 2011 at 11:46 PM Post #17 of 152
Just received mine in the mail today...first impressions...HOLY CRAP...this is a 20 dollar earphone?  Very impressive overall...a little simblant from the start so I'm hoping that tones down a bit after some burn.  The bass is impressive (from it's depth to it's texture) though not quite as clear and defined as the Turbine...but for the most part it competes with the significantly more expensive iem.  More people in the budget market really need to try this earphone.  This probably will my go-to gym IEM...you can wear them over the ear (though it's better when you switch the L and R earbuds if you do that) with no microphonics at all (plus it has a chin slider to keep em snug).  

I'm so stoked with this earphone right now.  I'm actually considering selling my Turbines since I really only keep them around for the bass.  I use my Brainwavz M3s for my slightly more technical and well rounded listening.

May 17, 2011 at 1:11 AM Post #18 of 152
I bought a pair back in December and I thought they were a really good value for $15 - $20.  However, I found the lower midrange / upper bass emphasis rather fatiguing after short time periods of around 30 minutes.

May 17, 2011 at 10:16 AM Post #20 of 152
Quote:
Just received mine in the mail today...first impressions...HOLY CRAP...this is a 20 dollar earphone?  Very impressive overall...a little simblant from the start so I'm hoping that tones down a bit after some burn.  The bass is impressive (from it's depth to it's texture) though not quite as clear and defined as the Turbine...but for the most part it competes with the significantly more expensive iem.  More people in the budget market really need to try this earphone.  This probably will my go-to gym IEM...you can wear them over the ear (though it's better when you switch the L and R earbuds if you do that) with no microphonics at all (plus it has a chin slider to keep em snug).  

I'm so stoked with this earphone right now.  I'm actually considering selling my Turbines since I really only keep them around for the bass.  I use my Brainwavz M3s for my slightly more technical and well rounded listening.

Awesome, thanks for your impressions.

Hmm, |joker| had mentioned sibilance, and now you have. That's strange, I never have had a problem with sibilance with these. I've even EQ'ed up the treble and still haven't found even the slightest hint of sibilance. Maybe I'm too used to bright headphones to be fatigued by these, or possibly they tame majorly during burn in. Who knows?

Bass is extremely impressive. I realize the Turbine Pro is clearer and more textured, but there is something about this bass that I find knocks the socks of the Golds bass. In fact, I don't even like the Golds bass in comparison, it just sounds weird. To me, the bass on the FX67 is fabulous, with it's weakness actually becoming it's strength.

My Pro Golds are being sold if that tells you anything...
wink.gif

May 17, 2011 at 4:50 PM Post #21 of 152
Bought a pair of these today after reading this thread a few weeks ago. Bought them for £20 and, compared to my CX300 II, these things are very good. Ridiculously comfortable, great sound. Can't ask for more from a 20 quid headphone. 
Only complaint is that I cut myself attempting to pry open the box without scissors (those plastic packets are absolute BS).

Recommended to anyone, any budget :wink:

May 17, 2011 at 7:43 PM Post #22 of 152
Quote:
I bought a pair back in December and I thought they were a really good value for $15 - $20.  However, I found the lower midrange / upper bass emphasis rather fatiguing after short time periods of around 30 minutes.

Hmm. Haven't gotten fatigued by these yet, even after 5 hours of constant use. Try using an EQ with them. They respond REALLY well to EQ'ing, and it can make the sound even nicer.

Quote:
Bought a pair of these today after reading this thread a few weeks ago. Bought them for £20 and, compared to my CX300 II, these things are very good. Ridiculously comfortable, great sound. Can't ask for more from a 20 quid headphone. 
Only complaint is that I cut myself attempting to pry open the box without scissors (those plastic packets are absolute BS).

Recommended to anyone, any budget :wink:

Thanks for the comments. I will agree with comfort, I would buy them for comfort alone.
Yeah, the box is a bit annoying. It's the blister packaging. But I don't mind, it goes in the trash anyway.

May 17, 2011 at 9:32 PM Post #25 of 152
Actually I just did that, haha. Still though...

I might pick a pair up, I guess there really isn't much to lose.

Edit - Picked up a pair used!

May 23, 2011 at 6:17 PM Post #26 of 152
So I got these and all I can say is I'm getting rid of my RE-Zero's. I feel like I'm done with IEM's (and I hope I am). It's been a long journey with my IEM's (look at my signature) and like Katun, I'm going to focus on my home rig (which I also feel is done).

Stock sound was very impressive. I hate u or v-shaped sounds but the FX67 is the first u/v-shaped sound signature IEM that doesn't sound harsh. The sound is actually quite smooth and non fatiguing; there is no problem with sibilance and I'm extremely sensitive to sibilance. Automatically I liked these much more than the M6 or S4.

The bass is very competent in these. Not the most textured or dynamic but for it's price it brings good quality and quantity and only rarely becoming obtrusive. I definitely don't miss my SM3's Miles Davis' or Pro Copper's bass. Only issue is that they don't extend too low but for it's price it overperforms.

What's most impressive to me with these is the treble. It stays on the border of forward without actually being harsh. Also I don't know if it's because of my EQ in the 16khz region but it feels like the treble on these extend very well. Treble on these is very, very impressive for it's price.

Mids are slightly recessed or neutral on stock sound. I honestly can't tell because the overall sound is nice, smooth, and balanced and never obtrusive.There is very little bass bleed.
When EQ'd, I can examine the mids in better detail. If one pushes the mids too far in the EQ it reveals the flaws with in the mids. Somewhat thin and not the most dynamic. Still great for it's price, and as long as you keep the sound balanced, the bass and treble cover up the flaws of the mids.

Detail and imaging is extremely impressive. Maybe it's because I know all my music but I don't feel like I missing any detail when listening to these compared to the other headphones I have listened too. RE-Zero and my HD-650 only reveal a few more hidden nuances.

Katun was also right with the easiness of equalizing these. My CX380 II was the most easy to EQ and the FX67 comes in a close second. For me this is a big plus as I literally EQ everything into my favorite sound signature.

When I equalized these, I brought the treble and bass down very slightly pushed the mids a little forward. This made the FX67 focus much more on the mids and made the sound even more balanced and engaging. People will not believe me if they listened to my FX67+EQ settings and I told them it cost me $17.

Comfort is simply amazing. I love the effortless insert of these. Perfect seal every time and I hardly recognize that they are on me.

Isolation is average and good enough. No problem here.

Stock sound = 7/10
EQ'D sound = 8/10

For $17 I'll take these any day and save over hundreds on IEM's. The convenience of being able to replace at any time due to the cheap cost is also a great feeling.

May 23, 2011 at 7:26 PM Post #27 of 152
Thanks a lot for your impressions! It's great to read someone with a similar outcome as me, and also to hear it in their own words.

I realized after I got these a 2nd time, I'm done with IEMs for good. Not only have these surpassed everything I've tried before, but they are dirt cheap, meaning if something happens to them, I can pick up a new pair without even blinking. I think I may grab another pair and just keep it sealed in the box until mine current one gets lost or broken. I would be very saddened if these got discontinued in a year or so, and I couldn't get a new pair if I needed one. So, I probably get another pair -- or two. (One of each color would be interesting)...

I find the bass has impressive extension, it's just not the most controlled. But I find this a strength rather than a weakness, as it just sounds good.

Regarding the EQ, these definitely do respond well, but I would never over do it as you mentioned; as it starts to distort/magnify errors in the headphone. I usually do either 2-3 +/- db in a given band. Sometimes I find bumping the mids a tad will give me the best sound, while other days I find flat the best. It's just all done to the music and the user; that's why I highly recommend to experiment and find something that best suites your taste.

Comfort is just amazing on these, I will admit. Never ever had a problem with fitment; something I cannot say for ANY other IEM I've tried. Isolation, is perfectly fine for me, and actually is plenty good.

May 24, 2011 at 12:34 AM Post #28 of 152
I picked up a pair of these for $20 from a local store and I have to say they are the best all-arounder IEMs of those i have tried (very few). This include those in my signature plus Brainwavz Pro Alphas. I also tried them with a 75 ohm adapter I picked up on ebay for $10 and I think it makes them even better. It seems to bring the mids forward and I am actually surprised at how much I like these. I found the same adapter used on my brothers Pro Alphas seemed to smooth out their response in the upper midrange. If anyone has a 75-ohm adapter I would love to hear your impressions. I like these better than the M6 due to fit issues and sibilance and I picked those up for $13! They kind of have me worried for my M3s that are on the way. I am hoping for some kind of upgrade for the $70 I paid for them but we'll see...

May 24, 2011 at 1:10 AM Post #30 of 152
Good to hear. Hope to get them this week. Your impressions of the M3s were one of the reasons I ordered them. I saw you were now thinking of moving up to the GR-07s?. I just need to decide when I can't handle the diminished returns anymore... The FX-67s are making this difficult.. or easy depending on which way you look at it. 

Quote:
The M3s are better than the 67s...but maybe not 50 dollars better.  I love the M3s...but the 67s are pretty damn good themselves.

My venture into IEMs could be short-lived due to the FX-67 and the fact that I tend to prefer full size-cans. I like the idea of picking up an extra pair or two. These might become my go to birthday/christmas gift for friends/family who don't realize how cheap a massive upgrade to the apple earbuds can be. 

Quote:
Thanks a lot for your impressions! It's great to read someone with a similar outcome as me, and also to hear it in their own words.

I realized after I got these a 2nd time, I'm done with IEMs for good. Not only have these surpassed everything I've tried before, but they are dirt cheap, meaning if something happens to them, I can pick up a new pair without even blinking. I think I may grab another pair and just keep it sealed in the box until mine current one gets lost or broken. I would be very saddened if these got discontinued in a year or so, and I couldn't get a new pair if I needed one. So, I probably get another pair -- or two. (One of each color would be interesting)...

I find the bass has impressive extension, it's just not the most controlled. But I find this a strength rather than a weakness, as it just sounds good.

Regarding the EQ, these definitely do respond well, but I would never over do it as you mentioned; as it starts to distort/magnify errors in the headphone. I usually do either 2-3 +/- db in a given band. Sometimes I find bumping the mids a tad will give me the best sound, while other days I find flat the best. It's just all done to the music and the user; that's why I highly recommend to experiment and find something that best suites your taste.

Comfort is just amazing on these, I will admit. Never ever had a problem with fitment; something I cannot say for ANY other IEM I've tried. Isolation, is perfectly fine for me, and actually is plenty good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back