Frogbeats Custom-IEM Appreciation Thread
Mar 23, 2013 at 5:43 AM Post #466 of 867
Aww shucks... 
size]

Do you think I can request for a color change when I refit? David is a lil slow on replies, so I can only speculate on here.

Unfortunately changing shell colour is not an option during a reshell. The reason being that we do not make you a new shell from new materials, we take the existing acrylic and remould it to the new moulds given. I wish this wasn't the case so a simple change would be straightforward... But in this case it would be making a completely new shell and cost us a lot more money to do so.

It's also a question of mixing the new colours for the shell (we prepare that in advance) and then applying those colour correctly. Adds more labour time to a reshell than what we can put into it in the first place.

Mar 24, 2013 at 8:30 PM Post #467 of 867
Quote:
Unfortunately changing shell colour is not an option during a reshell. The reason being that we do not make you a new shell from new materials, we take the existing acrylic and remould it to the new moulds given. I wish this wasn't the case so a simple change would be straightforward... But in this case it would be making a completely new shell and cost us a lot more money to do so.

woah, TIL

Mar 26, 2013 at 5:25 PM Post #470 of 867
Hi all:

I ordered my C4s in early Dec. Frogbeats received my impressions on 12/19.  I received my C4s on 3/14.

I'm doing a lot of comparisons with my AS-2s.

Initial impression is that C4 is much brighter, AS-2 has much more bass/lower mid presence. On my iPhone/Vamp rig I use 'Bass Booster' eq w/ C4s, 'Treble Booster' eq w/ AS-2s. They end up sounding very similar then. AS-2 still a little warmer, C4 a bit more open and 3 dimensional staging, also a bit more upper-mid focus. But the differences are surprisingly subtle.

I use iTunes eq on my laptop/Ultra-Fi/Shadow rig -- boost bass 32, 64 & 128 Hz bands in descending increments from +8db.

Without eq, treble/upper-mid energy overwhelms bass energy on lots of songs (eg last 2 minutes of 'Blessed' by Lucinda Williams, or The Who, 'Magic Bus').

C4 bottom end responds well & 'cleanly' to eq. 

Mar 26, 2013 at 9:09 PM Post #473 of 867
Hi all:

I ordered my C4s in early Dec. Frogbeats received my impressions on 12/19.  I received my C4s on 3/14.

I'm doing a lot of comparisons with my AS-2s.

Initial impression is that C4 is much brighter, AS-2 has much more bass/lower mid presence. On my iPhone/Vamp rig I use 'Bass Booster' eq w/ C4s, 'Treble Booster' eq w/ AS-2s. They end up sounding very similar then. AS-2 still a little warmer, C4 a bit more open and 3 dimensional staging, also a bit more upper-mid focus. But the differences are surprisingly subtle.

I use iTunes eq on my laptop/Ultra-Fi/Shadow rig -- boost bass 32, 64 & 128 Hz bands in descending increments from +8db.

Without eq, treble/upper-mid energy overwhelms bass energy on lots of songs (eg last 2 minutes of 'Blessed' by Lucinda Williams, or The Who, 'Magic Bus').

C4 bottom end responds well & 'cleanly' to eq. 

Cheers for the comparison. Could you comment on :-

- the AS-2. Is this with the tuneable bass port option? What setting was it when you did the comparison?
- understood about the 3D depth imaging. how does the soundstage compare between the two?
- any comments about the mids?
- which do you personally feel is suited for vocals?

Thanks.

Mar 27, 2013 at 3:41 AM Post #474 of 867
Quote:
Cheers for the comparison. Could you comment on :-

- the AS-2. Is this with the tuneable bass port option? What setting was it when you did the comparison?
Yes, it has the tuneable bass port. There's no 'setting' on the port.  It's just a screw that you loosen or tighten to increase (loosen) or decrease (tighten) the amount of air (and therefore sound) that moves through the port. It's set approximately where it was when shipped fromAurisonics.
- understood about the 3D depth imaging. how does the soundstage compare between the two?
Soundstage is pretty similar, maybe a bit more 'intimate' with AS-2, more 'open' with C4. More sense of depth (instruments further away, as opposed to just quieter) with C4s. But it's a small difference. Generally both do and excellent job of separating and localizing instruments, with slight nod to C4s.
- any comments about the mids?
- which do you personally feel is suited for vocals?
Both have very nice mids. AS-2 mids seem to build on the bass -- warmth & richness. C4 mids seem more immediate/forward, seeming bright even when the top end has been reduced by EQ.  I love both, but there is a significant difference in character/tone. On C4 Lucinda Williams can seem thin, sharp, while kd lang just becomes wonderfully present. Conversely, kd lang can seem a bit distant or veiled on AS-2, while Lucinda Williams is just perfect, still sharp, but also filled with richness and body. 

The most evaluative (is that a word?) comment I'm ready to make at this point is that I was very happy w/ AS-2 w/out eq, although I like it better with, while I was dissatisfied with the C4 until I eq'd it.

Mar 27, 2013 at 3:50 AM Post #475 of 867
The most evaluative (is that a word?) comment I'm ready to make at this point is that I was very happy w/ AS-2 w/out eq, although I like it better with, while I was dissatisfied with the C4 until I eq'd it.

Thank you for the responses.

Although I'm sure your last paragraph is not your final word until you've listened to both for an extended period of time but I find your interim conclusion to be very clear & concise on your position of these two different IEMs.

At least for me it definitely helps me understand more about them without any access to them. Thank you, it's truly appreciated.

Mar 27, 2013 at 2:56 PM Post #478 of 867
@uelover : totally agree :wink:)

@anak : Have just heard fitear 335DW yesterday in fully custom shell and i was shocked that my ear almost the same as my friend nearly 100% xD , treble and mid are brilliant and significant upgrade from 334 but it has too much low bass ............ still feel the C4s more airy due to the lesser bass. but now i'm interested in fitear monet more than 335 :wink:) any impression or suggestion about the fitear monet ??

Mar 27, 2013 at 5:25 PM Post #479 of 867
@AnakChan

further re C4 vocals and sound stage.  I was just listening to Paul Simon 'Diamonds on the Soles of Her Shoes'.  Opening a capella section was stunning -- all those voices in well-defined locations with lots of detail. Ditto Beach Boys 'God Only Knows'. Ray LaMontagne voice very forward & present on 'Beg, Borrow or Steal'.

Also, upon further listening, it's not that the bottom end is deficient, but rather that the tuning is giving more energy at the top, relatively. For example the solo bass that starts Hendrix' Born Under a Bad Sign is great -- it just gets a bit overwhelmed by the guitar & drums when they come in. With the 'Bass Booster' eq, the balance seems better.

All 'to my ears' of course.

Mar 27, 2013 at 5:35 PM Post #480 of 867
Quote:
@AnakChan

further re C4 vocals and sound stage.  I was just listening to Paul Simon 'Diamonds on the Soles of Her Shoes'.  Opening a capella section was stunning -- all those voices in well-defined locations with lots of detail. Ditto Beach Boys 'God Only Knows'. Ray LaMontagne voice very forward & present on 'Beg, Borrow or Steal'.

Also, upon further listening, it's not that the bottom end is deficient, but rather that the tuning is giving more energy at the top, relatively. For example the solo bass that starts Hendrix' Born Under a Bad Sign is great -- it just gets a bit overwhelmed by the guitar & drums when they come in. With the 'Bass Booster' eq, the balance seems better.

All 'to my ears' of course.

a little off topic, but what "enhancements" did you get the AS2 in? Or is it just stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back